Masters Running

Former Lurker, Now Contributing (Read 389 times)

Hello Everyone, Hope you don't mind another contributor to this group. I've been on RA for some time now, contributing to some forums, lurking on others (like this one.) Many names in this group are familiar to me - I figured it was time to join a group that I have a lot in common with! Anyway... I'm 48, a returning runner after an absence (been back for 2 years now.) Completed my first marathon last month and met my goals for the year. I'm not fast, but I'm persistent. Looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit better.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

TammyinGP

Welcome! What marathon did you do? congrats on your first marathon. I'm hoping 2009 will be the year I accomplish my first. I've used up my injury quota in 2008, so I figure I'll be injury free in 2009.

Tammy

Welcome, JVol, aka Former Lurker. Was Philly your first marathon? If so, that was NJ Joe's first, as well. He had a great time. I see from your picture that you were one of the people in red. Wink Feel free to visit us at 40+ On the Run, and there's the daily thread, as well. Everyone is very welcoming, and you'll find a wealth of knowledge.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Welcome JVol 44, nice to have you de-lurk and join us on the forum!
            Welcome, Jeff!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm not fast, but I'm persistent.
              Hey, that's my motto, too! Welcome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Welcome Jeff! Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Welcome to the group, Jeff. Post often.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Answering the questions: I ran the Philadelphia Marathon last month. Full gory details are in my race report in the racing forum, if anyone is interested. Primary goal was to finish, with a secondary goal of a 4:30 to 4:40 time. I came in at 4:56:34, which I can certainly live with because (a) my primary goal was to finish and (b) I battled through a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot, which I'm on the road to recovery from now. As many of you know from your experiences, it was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done to date, and also one of the most rewarding. What surprised me the most in training and the actual race was the extent of the mental component. I knew there was psychology involved, but man oh man! Anyway, I've left myself plenty of room for improvement for my next one. Big grin 2009 goals: 1,500 miles 10K in under 52:00 1/2 marathon in under 1:54:00 Marathon in 4:30 or better Immediate goal: Heal my foot, get off the damn elliptical and back on the road! Thanks again for the welcome. Jeff

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Marathon Maniac #3309

Immediate goal: Heal my foot, get off the damn elliptical and back on the road!
                      Hey, we have the same goals - except I want out of the damn pool Angry Welcome Jeff Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps

Welcome Jeff. Congrats on the marathon PR! Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

Welcome, JVol44. Post often. TomS
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome, Jeff! I enjoy your posts. I didn't know you were that old (that's supposed to be a compliment!). You've got some great goals for next year!
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome, Jeff. I'm a newbie of about your vintage, but not nearly the level of accomplishment. It's a great place to hang out. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

welcome Jeff!!

denise