Masters Running

Thursday April 10th Master/Boomer Runs (Read 595 times)

So, you know the part about how I've been very conservative in my training this cycle, with speedwork limited to weekly (or less) tempo and progression runs? Because I didn't want anything to come between me and the starting line at Hopkinton? Well - apparently I suffered a serious lapse in judgment when I signed up for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, scheduled just two weeks out from Boston. I ran hard on Sunday, and now have a pesky hamstring(?) issue that seems to be a bit more than just post-race soreness. I don't feel it much while walking at this point, but it was still bothering me during my run this morning. It didn't seem to get worse during the run, or after, but I'm not sure what 26 miles would do to it. 6 miles, with one at MP, and the rest easy. I have no idea how much and how fast to run between now and the 21st. Sheesh. Best wishes to Tory for a speedy recovery! Nice workout, Bill. Sorry your moving saga is continuing to stress you out, Holly.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey! I just found out that my cellphone, which has a plan from 1998, has NO ROAMING CHARGES and NO LONG DISTANCE CHARGES!!! Just a straight 8 cents/minute. I never knew this. So, when I’m in Boston, my kids can call me AS MANY TIMES AS THEY WANT! (This is our first trip away since they were born – can you sense the withdrawal symptoms beginning?) This also means that I can call as many Boomers as I want while in Boston with no worries. ....Er.....anyone want to exchange numbers?........ Big grin ETA - PDR - oh no! I hope it's just a minor pull and will resolve itself quickly. Certainly I'm no expert, but I'd bet that if you didn't run at all between now and Boston, you still would be in great shape for it, so if rest is what you need, don't be afraid to take it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

{{{PDR}}} I found my $6 watch so I wasn't bare this AM. Sent the other one back for repair. They said it may be as long as 14 days plus shipping. So, I guess I'll be doing some math along the way on my next race. Garmin gets lost most of the time in the woods anyway, so I'm not sure why I bother. Scrumptious day outside. Ran 10 miles 1:48, 3 miles recovery pace and 7 miles @ M+:20 I remembered most of my splits until the mile 9 fast finish. JJJ
        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
        Mariposai

Thursday is here and it is going to be a lovely one. Cool I have a 6 miler planed for this afternoon,so no running yet this morning, but I wanted to talk about food today? Tongue. I know that a bunch of us here will be looking at hydration and nutrition very closely this coming week as we get ready for marathon day. Here is the question of the day: what do you do on marathon week as far as hydration and nutrition is concerned?. PDR, please take care...a massage at this point should do wonders!!! Erika, I hope you are flying home today. vista, ho is your brother doing? JJJ, that is a nice 10 miler you did there. Holly, you will become a hill queen if you move to that house. jlynne, you are looking good...jump roping after running 6.5...you are tough.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hiya, thought I'd post now as I'm just off to the gym at lunch for weights and the balance ball......and Mary, I'll be humming "Winter Wonderland" or something along those lines. Jlunne, I'm with you--that snow you're expecting is here--I had to scrape off the car yet again before heading to work. Still haven't been able to move the LL Bean down jacket to the cellar, either, and I'm wearing a woolen suit, argh. North of us and the eastern part of the state are both supposed to get hammered. I'll think of you when I get a hot beverage at break! So, do be enjoying the scrumptious days out there, wearing shorts and going bare-legged and seeing the flowers and buds! Really Glad to hear Tory is better--I was afraid to ask. Frank sends his best. PDR--I remember reading that Joan Benoit didn't run for 2 weeks before she won Boston, I think it was, as she'd had laser surgery on her knee. I second the "go easy" advice, maybe use the elliptical (you and btb can commiserate on that, I know it's boring and your feet go numb) to maintain aerobic power. Hope the pateint enjoys a long remission, btb. Now, leave the beeper at home when you go to Boston, ok? grinning through the snow, A.
            Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Just back from 3 slow, picking my way along. Storm last night was worse than I had thought. Power lines down, cable out, windows blown in and so on. PDR, what a difficult time for an injury. I hope easy jogging here on out does the trick. Otherwise, as Aamos says, the elliptical is a solution, although not a pleasant one. Mari, I don't do a darned thing different regarding hydration before a marathon. An old-fashioned person, I would like to change as few things as possible during the days before a race, and for one thing, I would like my digestive system to be regular and predictable. And while we're on that subject, much as I look forward to the RR's from Boston, for every one I read that has a paragraph in it about your porta-potty trips, pit stops and other gastric disorders, the fine is a buck per transgression. We'll donate the money to Amy's fund. Richie Ashburn and the Phillies: tough team to play for. One year at the Vet at Easter time they had an Easter Egg hunt before the game for the children of the players. The fans booed the kids who didn't find any eggs. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mari.. I plan to just eat a bit More pasta stuff ans other carbs like bagels the Fri-Sat Sun before the race. Nothing different. Tried and true is the name of the game. Ok...Maybe a beer with the Beers'on Saturday. I worry more about how my stomach will behave than I do about weather or pace. Eating out is always risky. Check this out: http://www.liverteam.org/NC_sixquestions.html PDR... the way I assess how bad a hamstring injury is by doing a punt type kick and a mule type kick. If it really hurts to punt, lay low like walk for a few days until you can "punt" without it hurting. If you can do these kicks it is probably very minor and your taper should give it the time to heal.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

JLynne- I am trying to finish up my grad work...but I am only 44 Tongue Vista- your baseball story brought back memories to my very first little league game. My first time ever at bat in a real game and I was very nervous. Hit a foul ball on the first pitch that proceeded to hit our pitcher's mother in the head and knocked her out cold. My mom still kids me about it to this day. The RH 500 continues today, my teaching partner was experiencing some heavy legs this morning so I took both morning classes. 8 miles but I may need some help in the afternoon. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
                    I worry more about how my stomach will behave than I do about weather or pace. Eating out is always risky.
                    See Spareribs! This is an important part of the race report. Wink We can hopefully learn from other's mistakes!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Good Morning Gang! no residual discomfort or swelling in the tibia area from my 4 mi run yesterday. When I press against the lower tibia, I still feel a bit of a tweakiness there compared to when I press on the tibia on the other leg, so I know I'm not 100%, but I'm still planning on running a 10 mile race on Saturday. I'm just running it though, not racing it, although I still think I have it in me to PR from last years time. And conditions should be perfect. Around 55-60 and clear skies at that time of the morning. Should hit 80 by the afternoon and since my son has his 2nd baseball game on Saturday, it'll feel great to sit in the stands in the sun. speaking of baseball, he had his 1st game last night (little league, coach pitch, 2nd graders), and won their game. They have a pretty good team, lots of strong hitters. They even got a triple play in the last inning. I couldn't believe what I was seeing as it was happening! He was on cloud 9! When we got home, we watched the rest of American Idol Gives Back. My son was real moved by the living conditions he saw in Africa and then when they started showing impoverished places in America, he said "this is in our country??!!" He was taken aback by the conditions he saw right here in our own country. He wanted to give money, so he called in and donated his allowance from last month. He's off school for a 4 day wknd now, so since we have the extra time, DS and I plan on finishing up our care package that we are sending to that sweet little Amy. When I showed my son her website, he said he felt so sad that she's had so many surgeries and she's only 3 yrs old. One of her surgeries was a couple days after his bday. Amy and my son look like they could be siblings - both smiley little toeheads! oh, another nice surprise today. I drive up to my usual coffee stand this a.m. on my way into work. Well, the lady in the vehicle in front of me, who I did not know, told coffee-boy that she was paying for my coffee too. She said one day someone did that for her, so now she's doing the same in return. So, a nice surprise to get a free coffee this a.m. And next week, I'll pay that same gesture forward. The coffee guy said that has actually been happening quite frequently at his coffee stand - customers buying a coffee for a stranger and then it starts to spread and more and more people are doing it. Wow - I'm a chatty one today! Surprised

Tammy

My son was real moved by the living conditions he saw in Africa and then when they started showing impoverished places in America, he said "this is in our country??!!" He was taken aback by the conditions he saw right here in our own country.
                        dawndaughter2 is living in Baltimore city while earning her Masters in Social Work at University of Maryland-Baltimore. For her field work, she is assigned to one the worst sections of the city, providing mental health services to impoverished pregnant women and new mothers. Yesterday she told me two things that somehow capture the dichotomy of her experiences, and her own ability to avoid utter despair: 1) A young woman told her (and a psychiatrist) that she hears voices telling her to kill people 2) The blooming pear trees this time of year are pretty, even among the boarded up rowhouses and garbage-strewn streets, and she's pleased that the residents of these neighborhoods have something beautiful to look at - even if it's only for a few weeks per year. I dunno - I'm not sure I could do that...

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Head Procrastinator

Glad to hear from Ribs, heard there was a pretty wicked storm there last night.
                          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

I Can Go The Distance

Good Thursday everyone, I did 4 miles today ending up with 8x100 strides over the last mile. Time was 38:42@9:43 pace. Now I know not many of you want to hear this, but my problem with the weather this weekend is going to be heat. 84 tomorrow and possible 85-89 over the weekend. I usually run a 7 am on the weekends, but I guess I will have to go at 6 am. By 8 am it may already be in the 70's. Even though I live in a warm climate, I really don't like the heat for running. JLynne: I went back to grad school at 45 and made it through. Some of my fellow students were in their late 60's. These days with student loans being what they are, you don't find many students who go to grad school right after getting their BA. I know you will do just fine. Use the same discipline as you do for running and you should have no problem. Have a great day everyone and "Stay tough." Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

TammyinGP

Thanks Harriett for sharing that. It definitely takes a gifted and special kind of person to do that line of work. I have a few friends that are in social work and I know I just wouldn't have it in me to work in that arena. I'm sure you are very proud of your daughter for choosing a line of work that she obviously has a passion for and one in which she will impact those people she comes into contact with. Even though we all know these situations exist, I found it an incredibly sad reminder that so many thousands of people are still displaced after Katrina and it's the efforts of the average american citizen and the voices and contributions of socially conscious celebrities that seem to working the most towards getting them back into homes. It should have been our govt programs hard at work over 2 yrs ago to provide for these families.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

We're still getting more of Wildchild's weather, so I will go out and try to pick my way from bog to cement for about 3 miles.
                                I think you're getting your own weather, not mine. It's snowing hard here, not only at my house in the mountains, but down in the flatlands too. All of you talking about spring color are making me jealous - the only color here today is WHITE. It'll have to be a gym day today, as I didn't bring my yaktrax to work. Jlynne - what are you gonna be studying in grad school? Biketm - maybe you could borrow a dog to run with from a friend or a local shelter? You could certainly borrow one of mine if you lived closer - sometimes they're a pain to run with, but I can't leave them home without getting THE LOOK. And I love running with them even when they make a lot of stops and pull on their leashes, because they're so amusing. We could all learn a lot from the way dogs live for the moment and enjoy life. Holly, good luck with the house saga. Maybe its good to have something to take your mind off Boston during taper. I live at the bottom of a big hill, so all my runs start out tough but I love the last mile home. But at the top of the hill you probably get nice views? Great that your cell phone isn't restricted, but make sure your kids don't call you during the race! Btb, thanks for your thoughtful note to remind us that racing or not racing are both good. I'm not sure what my motivation is to run a half but its partly to keep up with all you overachievers on the board! On the other hand, my running has gotten more consistent with all the knowledge and motivation I get from all of you, and I know I'm ready for a half. PDR, rest up! Sorry you might have overdone it at the 10 mile race. Hope others learn from your experience. That means YOU, all of you Boston-bound runners! Take it easy and arrive at Boston healthy! Tammy, your son sounds like a keeper! Erika, hope you get a flight home OK. American Airlines isn't doing too well today with Denver flights, and the snowstorm probably isn't helping either. Good runs or rests to all of you today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.