Masters Running

Thursday April 10th Master/Boomer Runs (Read 595 times)

See Spareribs! This is an important part of the race report. Wink We can hopefully learn from other's mistakes!
    Except with Ribs, the problem is eating in (I stayed at his house before the Wellstone-Dallas). He thinks he can cook........ [Black eye >>>this will be me, next time I see Ribs!]
    Masters 2000 miles

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tammy says... "It hurts when I press on my Tibia.." Dr. says "Don't press on your Tibia" Wink

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Surprised wow - thanks Perch! Is that free advice or will you be sending me a bill? My doc charged $130 for the laser treatment and funky blue tape I have on my leg. . . .

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tambalina - i think you need a new hot tub.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

You taperers (Aamos, perch) sure are fiesty today.... Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Healing vibes to PDR and to Tammy.....!!!! PDR---before the Hartford marathon in 2000 I had an ITB issue 3 weeks before the marathon that had me in tears at the side of the road, unable to finish a run. I walked on a treadmill for two weeks and then ran lightly (3 and 4 milers) in the final week. Marathon day dawned perfectly and my leg behaved. At this point you have done the work and you are there. Rest, baby your hamstring and it will be fine. Doing extra miles won't help. I am thinking of you and know how hard you worked to get there. Hang tough! As for eating during the last week, I don't do anything differently. I salt my food a little more or have a whole wheat pretzel or two with lunch. I hydrate as I always hydrate (two cups of coffee, 40 oz of water over the course of the day and wine with dinner on the weekends---one glass---ho hum). I also try and eat dinner in the early-ish afternoon on the day before the race---no later than 5 PM. The last week might be a tad blander as far as culinary fare goes (oatmeal for b-fast, no sauces on the pasta etc). Bottom-line-----no experimentation! Over and out CNY
                A final total of 12 again today. No bike commute today although with it being sunny and in the 50's I may need to venture out for a little while. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening everyone!

King of PhotoShop

Absolutely dynamite post CNY! And Aamos and Enke, you guys are troublemakers! Spareribs
                    (((( PDR )))))).......I pray things work out for you. You have worked so hard to get to this stage. What CNYRunner posted seems like good advise. If you rest it, you should be fine. You are not going to lose any conditioning at this stage and are at the taper stage. Fingers crossed for you. Craneium......that is a funny story about fouling off a pitch and knocking out that Mom. Spareribs......Good story on the fans at the Vet. I was in Philadelphia for an NCAA regional tournament at Temple University back in 2004 and found out that Veterans Stadium was being imploded the next day at 6 AM. I stayed the extra night and got up to go watch. I have pictures of the old girl going down, time lapsed every 3-4 seconds. It really was something to see "live". One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences to see something like that go down. 3.48 easy miles run this afternoon. I am out for the evening and looking forward to enjoying the weather. Those of you still in chilly areas, we are pushing this good stuff along the way to you.
                    Vista
                      Absolutely dynamite post CNY! And Aamos and Enke, you guys are troublemakers! Spareribs
                      Stop sucking up to CNY b/c she's pretty and smart and fast (and blonde). Tongue
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        Eek! The weather! It might be "above average temps" in Boston on the 21st!
                        Masters 2000 miles
                        Henrun

Our one day of spring appeared and I doubled my workouts for the day. Cycled this morning to a meeting and ran the Charles again in shorts and short sleeved T for 5.5 miles. The high 60's were to everyone's liking. I've never seen that many runners and cyclists smiling. Back to late winter tomorrow. As I left the Charles I noticed a familiar cyclist-it was Marj heading home from work. I keep running into her in the strangest places. (As she gets back into running, she also ran 3 miles on her lunch break).
                          btb1490

good afternoon folks! PDR- Sad Please do what others have suggested, and above all, don't freak out! WRFB needs to give you a massage! Sending healing vibes to you! Kudos to your daughter for the work she does! JJJ- pretty cheap outfit you had on today. Aamos- you seem calmer today. Thank goodness. Ribs- glad to hear you came away from the storm unscathed. Is that a true story about the egghunt in Philly? THAT is tough! Craneium- so how far did your baseball career go? Keep running, and keep inspiring those kids! Tammy- loved your post! Thanks for being chatty! Smile Good news about the leg, it's bound to have some kinks leftover. Did you find any trails to run on? And your son... what a great kid! I'm sure his mom has a lot to do with that. I heard that was a great show last night. Amy will be so surprised! THank you! "Pay it Forward"... great movie. Our church youth group goes to New Orleans each summer to help. You're right, there is still very much to be done there. Continued success with your running! BCMorant- YOu ready to kick it up a notch starting next week? Careful out there in the heat, especially these first few runs till you acclimate. wildchild- don't you guys know it's almost mid April? Sheesh! Knock it off already! CNY- excellent! henrun- the Charles was bustling today it sounds like! I'll bet it was beautiful! Speaking about beautiful sights... Marj was running! Good luck with your comeback! Booked a room in Scranton, PA today for the Steamtown Marathon in October. I like to plan ahead. Smile Have a great evening! Smile
                              Did not sleep well last night so tired from my intervals today It was 3K ez warmup then 5X5 minutes at half marathon pace with 2 minutes running ez in between then 3k ez for a cool down Ran the half marathon intervals in 3:54, 3:59, 3:56, 4:04 (hill) and 4:00 Most into a heavy wind...ugh...felt tired out there. Off to wish see my buddy topdown tonight. He is running the Boston Marathon next week with many of you. You may remember him from Coolrunning. He and I met for the first time at the Ottawa marathon and became great friends. Hope he smiles like I did when running the course. Amazing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Vista - loved the Richie Ashburn story. I grew up in a family of die-hard Phillies fans (thankfully, I'm recovering; they broke my heart too many times), but I'd never heard that one. I met Richie when I was in 6th grade and he was a speaker at my dad's Lions Club Father and Son dinner. I was the only girl there, so I got my picture taken with him, Tony Taylor, and Mickey Vernon and it was in the paper! Later I had a secretary who had been his next-door neighbor in back in the 50s - she said she knew the home games were over when she heard the "pfft" of the beer cans in the back yard. The year after my dad died, Mike Schmidt was inducted in the Hall of Fame, and my big brother and I went, kind of to honor the memory of so many Phillies games with dad. We were so psyched when we found out later that Ashburn would be inducted the same year. It still sounds wrong to me not to hear his voice on Phillies broadcasts. Ribs - it may have been Phillies fans booing the kids who didn't find Easter eggs, but don't forget that it was Eagles fans who booed Santa Claus! And to think we call it the City of Brotherly Love. Craneium - bravo for setting an awesome example running with the kids. btb - "throwing up data?" Now there's a picture I really don't want in my mind's eye. Loved your reminder of why we run. I was having yet another "I REALLY hate my job day" yesterday, and I really thought I was too dragged out to run when I finally got home at almost six. Then I decided that they can't take that away from me, too. I certainly wasn't anything even close to sproinky, but I'm sooooooo glad I got out there, and even more grateful that I can run and for all the terrific things it does for me. Beginning running class tonight; planning to get in 3 miles. First week so far that it hasn't been cold and rainy. All of the true newbies will be really happy, while I'd prefer dampness since that's easier on my allergies. Will still be great to get out there. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com