Masters Running

Minimalist running (Read 228 times)

I am returning to running, albeit slowly, after a 14 week hiatus due to a stress fracture of the 3rd metatarsal (foot bone).  Some "people" including someone with a masters in physiotherapy, are telling me that I should consider wearing less shoe to avoid further injury.

I am skeptical, since I am a 53 year old post-menopausal (for 11 years) woman who has experienced 2 sfx.  Plus I run primarily on concrete sidewalks in the city.  I don't have results of my most recent bone density, but I was considered on the low end in 2007 (running for only 2 years) but no sign of osteoporosis.  I eat pretty well (maybe not enough calcium?), I'm thin and the only thing I have suffered from since running (apart from the sfxs) is anemia.  

I currently wear NB769 (support) and custom orthotics which I swear have helped me. I am wary that minimalist running might be a consideration only for someone younger with more bone density.

Any other Masters tried running in less shoe?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

C-R

Ruth - I run in primarily minimal shoes and have for the last three years. I race in flats and my heaviest shoes are Saucony fastwitch. This has been a great move for me. That being said, it is a very individual thing. I transitioned slowly and it took six months to really ditch the heavy shoes. I do run some barefoot but not so much. I also run in Vibrams and have over 500 miles on these. No physical issues for me.

I would recoomend that you start by walking around your house barefoot or in socks and do this as much as possible. After a few weeks, try a mile in some minimal trainers. If things go ok, keep working up the miles but please do this slowly. Too fast and it will increase the risk for injury. Patience will help you determine if it is for you.

Once I trasitioned, I noticed I land more on the forefoot vs. the heel. My stride length decreased and frequency increased. I was more quiet when running (soft foot strike) and my shoes never really wear out but have to be retired when I lose the treads. Nothing to wear out on flats. I managed over 1400 on one pair.

Anyway, there are some good threads out there on this with lots of other opinions. Read those for more context and ideas/opinions.

Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Age doesn't seem to have much to do with running barefoot as the midfoot landing that comes naturally when running without thick, cushioned heels seems to ensure soft landings such as allowed Dr. Charlie Robbins, AAU distance champion from the 40's and 50's to run barefoot for 65 years from age 15 (if not before) - 80.

http://therunningbarefooom/?s=charlie+robbins

good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Plus I run primarily on concrete sidewalks in the city.  

Irrespective of the kind of shoes you end up using it would probably be a good idea if you could try and do some of your running on softer surfaces. Grass/trails/running tracks/treadmills...

Incidentally weight training is good for bone density. (And alcohol is bad for bone density.)