Masters Running

Finally Friday, August 20, 2010 (Read 436 times)

BlazinCajun

Was running bare-foot last night and it reminded me of running bare-foot in high school. Felt free, light, and fast. Was the beginning of a great core work out with my daughter.

Today ran and easy 50 minute run, post workout weight-152 lbs. Workout included: warm up, run at E pace with 6x30-sec striders @ 6:00/mile, warm down ( 5.54 miles)

Have a great day!

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It's so cool that you workout with your daughter Andrew!    Nice run this morning too.

Cranium - I like your new avatar, but miss the cuddly Lion.

Rest day for me.   Have been awake on/off since 3:30 though - which is a little better that the 3 a.m. the other days of the week.     Guess I'm just excited that it is Friday!? 

Have a good one .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

DD2 and the kids got in town yesterday.   They drove down all the way from northern MI.  That's brave of DD2 to do with a 4 yo and a 7 yo.  As expected as soon as they got here the little ones spied the pool and headed for it.  As Mom looked for the swim trunks the littlest one didn't want to wait and asked if he could just go in his underwear.

DW and I used some of our accumulated  timeshare time and booked a place for everyone on the beach in Palm Beach - about an hour north of home.  So it'll be a weekend for us of sun, sand, saltwater, and drinks with umbrellas in them.  I'm not sure how much running I'll get in, but I'll certainly get some, though I may not be able to run long.

I had a voice lesson last night where we were working on my upcoming solo.  I'd been practicing it and was feeling pretty good about how I was approaching it.  I started the lesson and got exactly one syllable in before the teacher stopped me and corrected me on my "Oh" in the first word "Only" - wanting me to open my mouth and drop my jaw more.

I just had to laugh.  I didn't even make it through the first note!

5.5 miles this morning and I decided "to heck with it" and just ran and ignored the little aches.  Everything went fine and I actually felt quite good.  2 miles were at MP and the overall pace was 9 min/mile.  Better.  I was tired of running slow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill... Palm Beach... nice. That's where the Gulf Stream gets closest to the coast so the water is deep ocean blue. Pretty!

Glad the run went ok. Sounds minor.

7.6 EZ miles in74°, 93% humidity (ISC). 1:13:00 (9:36 pace, AHR 145). The last 0.6 mi was at 8:25 pace.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

Good luck on the Solo Bill ! I've always wanted to take voice lessons.

7 dark sweaty miles this morning.........what an oppressively humid summer this has been. I'll betcha it's been a good year for Gatorade sales. 

Nice work out Cajun.

My fitness level feels off....my average weekly mileage has been down and I can feel it. Time to drop the excuses and get after it !

...burger//........if you get the chance post the song......

........you guys were really good on the 6(?) part harmony.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

I am going  about Erika's run yesterday. Hills and hills and more hills and she ran it at 8:08...just amazing!!!!!

Hallar, thanks for that butterfly hug yesterday! I really, really, really needed it!!!!! Why? well...DS#2 drove to Seattle all by himself for the first time and I was a nervous wreck all afternoon and evening, so the hug really made my day. 

Tetsujin, you will see Palin first as a Pt before you see me on television. How are you doing my friend? 

Speaking of Palin, I guess she was only three blocks from home on Sat. 

I meant to say the other day how glad I am to see Perchcreek and nono running so well!!! 

Here is to a terrific Friday. I have a one hour massage to look forward to after work.

You know, I miss PreDawn and Lou.

4 easy recovery miles for me today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Perch, ISC.   Big grin.

TomS, how was the move?  I hope nothing hurts.

Mr. Byll, that sounds like a lot of fun.   Hope that ankle is ok.  

Slo, are you all settled in your new house?    How is your mom?

Erika. a heckofa run that was!!!     am a little worried about your foot though.  I'm wondering if my really really worn Newtons might have been another factor in this knee thing.  will you wear your newer shoes now? 

tw, sorry about your flare-up.  !    but so happy PIckles is back & you survived relatively intact.   so far.   how's the IrishMushyTalk?

short day today so I'd better get back to work.   I see the sports med doc (D.O.) at 1:30, but I have to be there at 12:30 for x-rays.  Seems the x-ray person leaves or something.  Have to run home first & check on sadie, (& let her out) I left her in the bedroom with the A/C on & sometimes I gets too cold!

Woods Lady thanks for the encouragement to get the toe checked out.

oh... Esther, thanks.  you were right!   & did you notice we ran at the same pace yesterday?  Smile

I wasn't going to run this morning but decided at 6 that I would, so got ready quickly at least for me & did 4.06 miles by the river.   It hasn't exactly been a classic peak marathon training week.     oh well.   ahr 160, mhr 180.  the miles were 10:01, 9:31, 9:25, 9:02, I was happy about that.   My knee wanted me to stop by the third mile but I wanted the doctor to be able to find something the way he examines... he's not always interested in a description of the symptoms.  just moves me around.  (how was that for rationalization???  true though)

I miss the Beers too.  And Tramps.  and, there are a lot of people I've been missing, but I'm behind so I might just not have seen their posts. 

Happy Friday!

mta, Nancy we could have run together!     enjoy your massage.

evanflein

Thanks, Mariposai and Dg. It was quite a run.

The funny thing about the Garmin and elevation though... Part of this is a repeat out-and-back, so you'd think the dips and peaks would line up better. I'm really happy about the second repeat of the loop being faster than the first. I usually really fade pretty hard on that first big hill the second time around (peak before mile 1 and 4... should be the same elevation) so maybe the hilly trail runs are helping.

Nice light floaty barefoot run there, Andrew! How old is your daughter? I'm envious of any of you who can run or workout with your kids. Mine refuse to do it.

Mariposai, with DS2 just having earned his license yesterday, I can only imagine how I'll feel when he takes his first solo road trip! Glad he made it safe and sound so you can breathe out now.

Deb, you're running twin cities? Can't remember... Seems like you're doing pretty well getting the miles in. How's everything feeling?

I'm planning on a RAL, just some easy miles. And yes, Deb, I'm wearing my old shoes. They're ok for trails I think, just a little worn for asphalt though.

And hasn't Sue been missing, or am I forgetting these threads as fast as I read em.

Cajun - 152 pounds, that is just wrong - I am 155 (although I should be 138)

Again again again......couldn't get out of bed....stupid early am headache made me feel miserable (I get these a lot from 4 am to noon - partly from the low pressure system that constantly hovers over the PNW)

Once the kids go back to school I will be running much more.  Let's just hope a job opportunity doesn't come up or my running will be shot - I am not as organized and diligent as Holly!

Erika - some nice 100 ft hills there!

ISC - love it!

yes I bet Gatorade had a banner year.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I'll echo the others - very nice speedy run on a hilly course yesterday.

Byll - that sounds like a lovely weekend - enjoy!

Dg - (sigh) - but I know what you mean about the doctor visit.  When will you go?

Enke - more often than not, it's frazzled and frenzied....

Just 2 recovery miles on the TM for me this morning, and 30 minutes of core and upper body weights. 

I've been busy at work today, trying to finish up so I can leave a little early.  Tonight we're having friends over for dinner and I'd like to tidy the house up before they arrive.  (I've been busy every night this week and the house is sort of a disaster.)  I have spicy Mexican-seasoned shredded beef simmering in the crockpot for burritos, and some spicy red beans I cooked and froze last month to go with.  I''ll make up some pico de gallo, quacamole, spanish rice and diced fresh watermelon/pineapple to go with it.  Everyone is bringing a bottle of their favorite red wine, and DH is looking forward to trying some new ones.  Afterward we're all going to another outdoor concert this evening - a local group that is part of their $5 Friday series.  The weather is supposed to be lovely, dry and upper 70's this evening.  An evening of food (and wine), friends, and music under the stars - it doesn't get much better!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo, are you all settled in your new house?    How is your mom?

Yep, we are settled and loving it. Still trying to finish the Rec Room, Utility Room and Garage.....hopefully I'll be real close after this weekend.

Mom is doing good. I just received an Email that she is on her way to visit my youngest Sister for the weekend.  Labor Day we gather at the Home Place for August Birthdays and 1/2 Birthdays. There are 4 that have birthdays in the week before or after Christmas / New Year so we make sure they get a good party too.

Thanks for asking.

Sarge, you made a nice finish to your cross country series.  craneium, it sounds like you are off to a good start with your new team.  hallar, I relate to your Crim thoughts.  In addition to my running being harder and slower than a year or two ago, I haven't gotten in the training I should have.  I've debated dropping back to the 8K or 5K but have decided to go ahead and sign up for the 10 miler.  I've given myself permission to be real slow and walk parts without feeling guilty.  I guess I'd better get signed up.

Nice long run for holly, with speedwork.

Yesterday's move went well.  I'm not too sore today but will probably be real sore tomorrow.  After yesterday's moving and getting a couple hours less sleep than usual, I decided to go out this morning.  I wanted to do at least 4 miles and dreamed of doing 8.  As each mile mark approached, I debated whether I would do more and did end up with the 8.  Even though it was hard, it was my best 8 in a while.  The temp was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  It took me about 1:19:15 for a 9:54 pace.  It's been a long time since I did that distance at less than a 10 min pace.  Also, the last mile was 8:57, my first sub 9 mile in a while. 

About 2 miles into my run, a dog I'd never seen before came out of the woods to greet me.  It was quickly obvious that he was real friendly.  He was colored like a golden lab but was shorter and stockier than I'd expect for that breed.  In size and body shape, he reminded me of the pictures of Tag.  I couldn't discourage him and he ran with me the last 6 miles of my run.  He'd occasionally take a little side trip to explore but never got far from me.  He didn't have a collar but his neck hair was packed down a little like he'd been wearing one.  I suspect he had been  tied up and slipped his collar.  When I got home, he was hanging around outside and being real friendly.  I don't want a dog, but, if I did, he'd be what I'd want.  I got in the car and drove slowly back to where I'd first seen him, calling to him periodically.  I saw a few people on the road but none recognized hijm.  He trotted along behind the car until we got near where I'd first seen him.  At that point, he ran ahead, acting like he knew where he was.  I left and he didn't follow.  I sure hope he found his owners.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I admit I am just reading this to get some enthusiasm to get out there and run.  I ran a difficult for me race last Sat., and still just feel tired and lazy and not motivated.  Need a kick to get going, and.  OK now - get woing - Woodslady!

Pshew, a toasty one, 5.32 miles in 48+ minutes.  Another "savor the sweat" run.

Back to the grindstone. 

Looking forward to a weekend w/ no long run and lots of hear!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles