Masters Running

Thursdaily, 1.25.24 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

the flight was half full so it was only in the air for about 4 hours, not enough time to "come down". I still had to navigate BART to get home.

So if it was a full flight, would you have been in the air for 8 hours???

Sorry about the cookie monster that bit you, Surly Bill. We had a similar surprise some decades ago but, like moebo, it only made us sleepy.

Congrats on winning a Paris entry, Twocat! I'd be heading for bed right around star time for the race.

Interesting comments on TMs. However, no owning one, I have nothing I can contribute.

Today is a meetingful day, with a 2-hour Zoom meeting starting at 9:30, driving to our state capital (Concord) to speak in front of a legislative committee in favor of a proposed new bill that would require flood disclosures by property sellers and landlords in certain situations, and then another 2-hour meeting we are hosting in a neighboring town, starting at 6PM. Should be an interesting day.

I did get out for about 4.6 mile yesterday afternoon in mild but very misty weather, and my outer gear was all soaked by the time I got home, but it didn't reach the innards.

It was raining steadily when I woke up this morning, and the temps were right around freezing, so I opted for another day of 90 minutes worth of knee and core work, weights, and stretching. Maybe I can squeeze in a between-meeting walk later on.

Have a greta Thursday (boy, am I glad tomorrow is Friday!)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3 miles this morning in shorts!  I had to dig down through my winter stuff to find some shorts. It was 61°.

Congratulations Twocat!  Is it weird to be slightly disappointed that I did not win a Paris entry even though I didn't want one in the end? Maybe they looked at my running entries and knew I would never be able to complete the thing.

I've always thought that incline stuff on a treadmill to match outside was a bunch of hogwash. There is no way running up a hill simulates what little wind resistance you feel outside. I guess if I was a faster runner I would see a difference, but I never set my treadmill to an incline for that reason. (I would use it for other workout reasons.)

The gym I went to way back in Michigan days had a few of those "Curve" treadmills. Oh baby, what a workout.

For those of you looking for a TM, eBay is a great source. You can often get a refurbished commercial gym machine there very cheap. As a personal TM it will last forever. I have had a TM and elliptical that are rebuilt from several that were tossed out by some commercial gym. They will be around long after I am gone.

Dave59 I can understand being disappointed about not getting a winning lottery ticket even if you did not really want to go. Just one of those things about human nature I guess.

moebo I have been wondering as well if practicing a long night run would be useful

It is raining here all day today and tomorrow. I ended up doing 4 miles on the TM. My machine may last forever, but I still hate using it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat and Moebo - 9pm in Paris is 3pm EST.  Just saying.

Surly Bill - yikes!  Could have been a lot worse, though (like if you were driving on the freeway).

30 minutes on the stationary bike for me, followed by 3 sets of 4 upper body weights exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mornin' guys.........

took Pickles to oncology in Nashville yesterday-

..............it DID hit 60-degrees,

but with rain so hard visibility was only about 10-yards on the interstate at times

she had a good appt, numbers are still stable

so

we went SHOPPING to celebrate     (we differ on the definition of ''Celebrate'' )

home by 500

then I went to choir at 700

may not count as a work-out,,,,,,,,,,but it sure felt like it

looking forward

to an actual work-ot today

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Jay.   I tried one of those curve treadmills at a nice hotel gym once and I hated it.

4.6 outdoor miles- 57 and a little drizzle, but barely noticeable.  With our forecast of rain for days, I can't believe I've gotten outside 3 days in a row!  I'm getting my outside legs back a little.  I didn't wear shorts like Dave, but did wear capris.  And no gloves!

I tried a gummy in San Francisco in November that my daughter had, and I didn't notice anything.  It must have been a mild one, because I tend to react to things....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

took Pickles to oncology in Nashville yesterday-

she had a good appt, numbers are still stable

YAY!  I remembered when she was first diagnosed, and it was scary, but she has done so well!

Gummies - I have tried a couple of times for my insomnia issues to help me get to sleep, but they have not felt any stronger than taking a Benadryl.  My DD goes up to Michigan to buy marijuana in various forms, and said that the gummies up there are much stronger than here in Ohio.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wildchild, that is a LOT of snow. Hope you got the plow unstuck.

Surly, what a story!  I thought you were going to say you took the cookies to the airport, and a drug-sniffing dog caught you. Which might have been a better outcome?

I tried 1/10th of a gummy a few weeks ago. I was nervous about it, because I am sensitive to some types of drugs, and because it had been about 30 years... Anyway, I thought I had a mild reaction to it - my gut felt weird and my HR shot up momentarily. Like the chemo sensors in my gut lit up. MBE tried 1/2 a dose and felt nothing.

Twocat, congratulations!!  That's awesome news. I think running at night is fun. Not sure about a whole marathon though. I think you should practice napping in the afternoon, instead of practicing running at night.

Treadmill incline, I thought the advice to set it at 1% was because the belt is moving, doing some of the work for you of push-off during the running motion. So the 1% would make it the same effort as running outside. I didn't think about the wind.

Hope to get out later...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for the start Jay. I'd be curious to know what some of you do for core work. I have had mitigated results with that.

Dave59, I envy those temps, I am a week away (I hope) from living them. Incline work taxes the system in a considerable way which builds up endurance. Even as a flatlander, I occasionally use incline to keep myself honest.

Twocat, great advice on refurbished industrial machines. One I would recommend is a StarTrack Commercial machine. They are a tough unit (5 hp continuous).

tomwhite, that's great news!

Karen, I agree with you on hating it (curver TM) it's worse than the traditional one! Nice run in nice temps... Do you mean a gummy like I think you mean, lol?

Holly, I am by no means an expert in gummies but my hippy brother makes cookies that his friends like using THC butter (the super high THC content stuff). Everybody loves to have 1/2 or 1 cookie but no more than one, as it would be dangerous for a neophyte or an inexperienced consumer.  I can't do that because it blows my socks off. I guess I just can't partake any more, lost my mojo...

Today I managed to calibrate my Garmin 265 with the treadmill option on the watch. I think it worked, we'll have to see. I got in 4.5 miles in the gym with the Doobie Brothers blaring through my JBL speakers and had a great time. Have a great day Masters!

Tom- that's great news and I hope you enjoyed the shopping!

Sub- yeah, that kind of gummy.  I never really smoked pot.  My crowd was all about alcohol growing up.  Apparently there was plenty of pot around in high school when I was there, but I just never really saw it.  Same with college, to a large extent.  We were alcohol-focused.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

I would be very resistant to trying edibles much, especially the homegrown kind. I have no idea how much is in each item or bite.  I would not want to have a Surly Bill experience.  I don't even really like a pot buzz.  The ONLY time I am interested is when I can't sleep, as pot seems to help me drift off when I otherwise can't.  We have a couple of vape pens, and two hits is enough to get me to sleep when I am having insomnia issues.  I am not interested in becoming a regular user, though - I just don't like it much.

+1 on the good results for Pickles, TW.

Quite an adventure, Surly, and one that will be funnier in hindsight. Actually, it's funny to the rest of us right now but for you might take a bit longer . It also goes to show how much stronger today's weed is in general compared to what we some people indulged in in the 70s...

Welcome home, Carolyn -- as if the snow wasn't also quite a "welcome home" for you! I remember that on one of your earlier trips to Joshua Tree a while back that one of the attractions was rock climbing for your DH. Was he able to do any of that this time? And by the way, you can pass on to him that, just 8 weeks out, my results have met and even exceeded what I was hoping for from my procedure. 

TwoCat, unless one could find a used 'mill locally on eBay, wouldn't shipping one of those be prohibitively expensive? I think that's one attraction of Facebook Marketplace, which seems to have more local activity.

I did a 22-mile ride on the trainer this morning on a route that was quite flat for being in Colorado (near the town of Creede). I also discovered that a bicycle seat that was in a box in my shop is actually much more comfortable than what I've been using. I'm not sure why I discarded it in the first place, but it's now a keeper for sure.

Tet, I just downloaded the Mercer Island course and will be taking it on in the near future (maybe broken up into two parts to fit my schedule).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Doug - have fun on the island loop. Every step of the 12 or miles on the perimeter road itself is the exact same course of the annual half marathon i first ran in 1990 but's been discontinued since covid. The park entrance at 1:25:13 was the start/finish.

Rats - gummies, x-cookies, alcohol just when I thought i'd seen all the topics I could see on which I know nothing about but, at least, I'm glad to be in the dark about this one.

Steve - for sure on kids not being able to purchase insurance needing a guardian angel to help them get started on the right track.  Maybe you could start a special service for them, if you don't already..

Moebo/Twocat - what's with sounding like you didn't know the start was at 9:00 pm??

You'd think, at least, that the elites would be up in arms about it or do the elites representing their respective countries run a completely different race at a different time on a different course and not like Boston, New York, Chicago, Tokyo, and the Goodwill Games I did in 1990 where the citizen race follows right on the heels and same course the elites are already running ahead on so us duffers get to see them on any out-and-back sections, if any?   Further, as a destination marathon in a major city, 9:00 pm doesn't seem very amenable to sightseeing along the running routes usually, at least for Tokyo, designed to showcase the city.

With regard to running at night, nothing wrong with it and I've done a lot but, though we just had the Bridle Trails Winter Running Festival I used to do the 50K in in those days that started at 3pm in January when it was already dark by 4:30 pm so we ran the bulk and finished in the dark but, except for all-day-and-night 24-hour and plus ultras, I've never heard of a stand-alone night time distance guaranteeing finishes well after midnight.

I hope the predicted rains supposed to be continuing on from Tuesday's showers still not materializing continues on into the weekend when I'll be making my first foray out into the beloved hillside parks I've been missing since the 12/7 operation.  Oh, since I have a rain poncho and the Vibram-soled deck boots, I guess I don't care if it rains or not.  Yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

thanks guys.............going there is always a Tense Time

=============

30-min on ARC Trainer to Celebrate         (now THAT'S how to celebrate)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

anneb

SB - sorry about the cookie encounter. And yes - I had this thought too?

So if it was a full flight, would you have been in the air for 8 hours???

Paris is a 9pm marathon - wow?! I don't think I would like that at all. Once I ran an evening half marathon and then ran one the next AM, so about 12 hours apart. Oh, the good old days.

I am downtown and did not manage to get in a workout this AM. It's just too wet/gray/dark, etc. Maybe in Feb I will get back on the morning workout train...

Anne