Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/10 (Read 468 times)

Morning -

30 min on the stationary bike whilst watching "The Stand," then 1.25 hrs of strength/core.  I haven't done these activities in three weeks, so I suspect I will be pleasantly (or not pleasantly) sore later.  Getting used to that bike seat again - .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Morning folks!

Rest day for me...has been for the past couple...working through a bug  

anywho, got this email from the organizers of the Boulder Backroads: 

Dear Boulder Marathon Runner,

We hope you've all recovered from a (very) hot and dry day on the Boulder backroads. A few thoughts about the heat...For many athletes, running in the heat and altitude is old hat...but for many others (especially our friends who flew in from out of state, many of whom live at sea level) these conditions proved difficult. The weather on race day was at least 10 degrees hotter than was predicted, and the later start obviously meant that many runners and walkers were out on the course until the late morning /early afternoon. Some have wondered why we had a later start, and there is one simple reason...if the marathon start was at 7am (like it used to be) then this meant that early morning parking had to occur in the dark. Over the years, this proved to be a dangerous situation for our parking staff as they had to park hundreds of cars in the dark. Therefore the decision was made to have our races start an hour later this year, and this meant we were able to park cars in the daylight.  It was a much safer situation for everyone.

If you finished in the top three in your division, you can pick up your (beautiful) award at the Boulder Fleet Feet store on Broadway. If this isn't convenient for you (if, for instance, you live in the Denver area) you will be able to make arrangements to pick up your award at the Runner's Roost store on Colorado Blvd. & I-25. Please email us at
      info@bouldermarathon.com if you would like to pick up your award in Denver. As the awards are made of glass we would prefer to not ship them.

<<rant on>>

Can I just say WTF!?#%(*&$%)*!! what a flippin cop out!  on sooooo many levels!! parking WAS NOT an issue last year!!! I was there as a volunteer! It's not THAT dark @ 6am mid Sept!  No mention of the lack of proper aid station support, most of the DNF's are local folks! no mention of lack of appropriate food for more than half of the finishers, I'd assumed that they'd already done the awards presentation by the time I got in....they certainly had plenty of time to!  they didn't give a "cut off time" in fact announced, "they'd "be here all day." at the start,  but they were taking down the finish line shortly after I got in & & packing up most of the support stuff while there were still quite few folks trying to finish....Guess I just add it to my list of "won't do THAT again!"  geesh!!

<<rant' off>>

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - Sounds like you have a right to be PO'd.  Your situation sounds like mine, but on a much larger scale.  We had sufficient water, but the start time was ridiculous (9:00 a.m.), leaving the marathoners out during the hottest part of the day.  Plus, they were all but totally packed up by the time I and the two behind me got in.  They had no ice, just the same warm Gatorade and water that had been used on the course, and what was left over from the aid stations with regard to food: bananas, trail mix, and pretzel bites w/pnut butter.  I am so glad I came prepared with my own supplies for afterward.

I'll say it again - there was absolutely no excuse for the aid stations in your race to run out of water.  They should always plan on needing more than anticipated.  It's, for lack of a better term, immoral to not have the appropriate aid and support for people paying good money to participate in these events.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Cindy, rant away!  Seems so rare that people take responsibility for screw ups these days.  An apology and what was learned to make next year's better would go a lot further than that drivel.

It is starting to sink in that this arch thing is not going away quickly.  Tried a short run today, and after about a mile was really feeling it, and still am.  Something in there is not happy with running or biking and the pain is still at a very specific point.  Considering a trip to the podiatrist...haven't seen him since my ingrown toenails several years ago so I'm sure he misses me.

Since it is rant day, here's mine:

Katy the dog can be "reactive" with certain other dogs, and snap without warning, especially at smaller dogs that move fast.  She loves all people, and submits and interacts OK with larger dogs....but smaller dogs not so much.  So as we were running this morning, we approached a lady and her two jack russels.  I shouted out "hello" so she would hopefully put her dogs back on leash.  Instead she did nothing, and the dogs ran right up to Katy.  I told the lady that this was not a good situation and asked her to put her dogs on leash.  She told me that it's people who are the problem, not dogs, and that if I would just talk nicely to her dogs, everything would be OK.  I had spoken only to her, and tried to maintain a calm attitude so as not to add fuel to the fire.  I told her that my dog could be reactive and unpredictable with other dogs, and by the way, I LOVE dogs, which is why I'm asking her to leash her dogs.  Another lady there with her dogs (on leash) told the jack russel owner "see, I told you that you really need to have leashes on your dogs".  This is not my first encounter with the jack russel owner, and she argued with me about the same thing previously.  Grrrr!!!!!  My mother also witnessed her dogs catching and killing a squirrel in the park a couple of years ago.  Part of the circle of life, but it was pretty brutal, so mom gave the lady a piece of her mind.  I called animal control when I got home today, but doubt they can do much. 

OK, rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled running, resting and cross training!

Progress Trumps Pefection

If you have leash laws, hopefully law enforcement will watch for her and give her a ticket.  That might cure things.  And her dogs chasing down a squirrel in the park and killing it - I don't consider that the circle of life but the stupidity of a careless owner.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Thanks ladies!

Carol - issues of the foot can be a bit baffling...especially inflamations such as PF...so many different causes..sometimes, strangely enough, it isn't in the foot where the problem lies - even though, that's where it's felt...often, PF & AT are caused by tightness in the calves...something to do with your cycling &/or swimming may have stressed/agitated the calf muscles, pulling on the connective tissues of the posterior leg->plantar surface of the foot...& maybe running a bit again brought it to light??  I could be wrong...& I can't stick my thumb in it, but I might suggest a combo of calf stretching & strengthening excercises for a coupla days along w/going bare foot in the grass as much as you can manage...all along w/RICE .....ref the stoopid JR owner...I think she's right - that will be entirely her own fault (as the stupid, irresponsible human) when her dogs get hurt/killed!!  Hopefully, the collateral damage will be minimal...as in, another pet being destroyed because of her!!!

Hey! to everybody else!!

Uherm.... feeling a bit better this am, (not enough for going out for a run yet) so, needing to get some housework caught up before we go get the kids this wknd.... & dadgummit!! tangled up, rolled my left foot & fell down a few steps, saved by the laundry basket from severe damage (I think)   icing & limping around just now!!  GAAAAAHHHH!!

Why is it I need to take a break???

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Easy 3 recovery today. We were both really whacked from our long runs Sunday, combo of low barometric pressure , running into the wind and cold rain I guess. Lynda found a nice training plan for a half on RW while I am wondering If Ev would pass on that more, shall we say challenging half training plan described previously. Ev in your expert opinion do you think I could substitute good Scotch for Beer? The football, nachos, couch/recliner I think I can handle.

Cindy all I can say is I am incredulous at that response from BBackroads. Running out of water is inexcusable, And to insinuate it was a runner problem instead of an organizer problem uugg. The response Carol suggested is exactly correct IMHO.

Carol we'll loan ya Dessa next yr, she'll sort out those Jack Russell's for ya. Seriously, I don't understand this segment of society that won't take some responsibility for their own actions and at the very least show some simple courtesy. What the woman told you was exactly right (the people are the problem) just don't how she could interpret it so badly. Its a people problem because she didn't have leash control of her dogs!!

Ev the corn we are harvesting will go to feed hogs, cattle, and ethanol production. I have had some corn go to the chicken and turkey houses and also some that went as a minor ingredient in horse sweet feed. The latter is extremely picky on quality. I have grown food grade corn that could be used in chip and tortilla production but it was a good yielder and the livestock people loved it also. There is a Frito Lay plant about 100 miles from me that takes food grade corn for chips, etc.. If It was closer I might consider it as sometimes the premiums will cover the added expense and hassle. Sweet corn is a whole different animal and other than a few patches for personal consumption and small scale farmers mkts just not much grown around here. I also grew popcorn for about 20 years (about 500,000lbs/year) and there is still alot grown in the area, its alot more risky and it just depends on if the premium is enough to justify.

Hi to the rest of the gang.

Rain all day yesterday so did office work and fixed some stuff in the shop. Went to a seed corn field day/ customer appreciation dinner last nite. They had some incredible smoked brisket, ate tooooo much! Worked on winterizing my sprayer today, should get back in the corn field tommorrow. They started doing the steel work on our bin today, hope they get it done before we need it!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

A nice 6er with the LMD.  The weather is beautiful here.  Upper 60s evr so slight breeze.  I have LMD utilizing the run/walk method....a variation of Galloway....running for 1 minute then walking 2 minutes.  She is currently completing up to 6 miles in this manner.   

Jim....thanks for explaining your corn crops.  Very interesting.   And BTW.....yes, a good scotch, single malt or a good blend will substitute nicely for the beer.  In fact you'll save some calories with this alternative approach.  And now that dark spirits season is upon us, you're good to go. 

Later on friends....

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Jim....yes, a good scotch, single malt or a good blend will substitute nicely for the beer.  In fact you'll save some calories with this alternative approach.  And now that dark spirits season is upon us, you're good to go. 

You guys kill me.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - OMG - GIANT COP OUT! You should let them know that you're posting this on all the running boards. They need to get their act in gear AND assure the runners that they've fixed things or their race will die. Oh - hope your bug gets better - yuck - and whatever body part you tweaked when you tripped!

Carol - I hear ya on the dumb dog owner rant. Seems like it's always the people with little yippy dogs, as if little dogs can't cause problems.

Jim - interesting about the corn and grades and stuff. BTW that 500,000 lbs a year of just one type kinda boggles my mind.

Ev - why, thank you for the assurance that there are options to beer - I mean, now that the weather's cooling off and all. But I'm wondering if nachos are really the best choice to accompany the scotch, maybe a big ol' fruit and cheese tray. Whaddaya thing? Of course football and recliner...well, there's no substitute for those!

You know you're a hot-weather gal when 73 feels BRRRR! I'll have to put my heavy jammies on tonight!

Ex runner

Ev -  But I'm wondering if nachos are really the best choice to accompany the scotch, maybe a big ol' fruit and cheese tray.

OK....is that how you do it on the west coast?  I'm OK down with that.  I didn't want to seem too inflexible with Jim's request, but you're right, that does sound pretty good....fruit and cheese with the scotch.....Perfect!  You got that, Jim?  [Dayummm, (who said that the othr day?) this is gettin' good.]

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Hmmm, I gotta mix up that fruit & cheese tray just a little....add some crackers, meats & veggies, little Ranch dip...& how'd we forget the hot wings!?!? ....what say you, Joe?? how's it done on the other coast??

I think aggressive dogs & irresponsible owners come in ALL sizes!!  the whole, "Oh, my doggies are perfectly harmless & totally misunderstood!"  "I just don't understand! He's never been aggressive before!"  ~ as the ACO is taking possession post incident....    public stupidity isn't always illegal, but often causes big avoidable messes!   Mairead, while generally a very sweet, gentle giant, is still a powerful animal! She weighs in @ 94lbs (on a 12 hr fast), is very healthy, athletic (strong) w/big teeth!! Having seen her defend the yard from alien raccoons & cats, & warn off pushy dogs, I have no doubts that she could/would defend her space adequately!! I don't think a Jack Russell would be any kind of competition....my fear would be that stupid owner of the JR's would insist that MY dog was the problem!

I'm gonna calm down just a little bit before I draft a response to the Boulder ppl!!   & maybe think of an eloquent posting for the main boards here!  maybe something like. "Boulder Backroads or How NOT to put on a Quality Marathon!!"

The "tweaked" body part is my left foot!  pretty intense strain...presents like I might have a separation in a lateral metatarsal capsul...ewwww!   haven't gone in for an x-ray...nothing that could be done really...other than RICE!   DH is all worried after watching a House episode - the one w/the woman in the Antarctic w/a broken-frozen toe that is making her serious, perilously ill from infected bone marrow leaking into her bloodstream!!    "Do you think it's broke? should we take you in?"  Oy!!

jfa

yes, a good scotch, single malt or a good blend will substitute nicely for the beer.

Now that's what I call Good Coaching! MMM ,all this talk of food and beer and scotch is making me hungry.We have a local distillery in Scobeyville (yes,that's an actual town though very small).Been there since 1780.They make a wonderful Apple Brandy called Applejack. As far as the snacks that go with it,I'm not picky and will eat pretty much anything that's put in front of me!

About the dogs, Buddy has a completely different personality when on a leash.He's very aggressive towards other dogs and will start fights if I'm not careful,even with dogs bigger than himself. He's got a chunk missing from his right ear because of a run in with a boxer in our neighborhood that he instigated. I get VERY uncomfortable when he's on a leash and other unleashed dogs approach him. I have warned ignorant owners who don't leash their dogs that I can't say what he will do. Last month we were running in the woods and around the corner comes a large Rottweiler,no leash and no owner in sight. I'm wondering what's going to happen when I see another Rotty coming,this one even bigger! Finally I see the owner come around but he's a good 50 yds away and both these dogs are coming straight for Buddy. They don't seem aggressive but I know Buddy's going to start talking some trash and probably get them going. What to do? I dropped his leash and let him go.Sure enough ,they do the butt sniffing business and since he's off the leash,all went well. As far as the little yappy dogs,he's rolled a couple of those too.

Queen of 3rd Place

Hmmm, I gotta mix up that fruit & cheese tray just a little....add some crackers, meats & veggies, little Ranch dip...& how'd we forget the hot wings!?!? ....what say you, Joe?? how's it done on the other coast??

OK, if we're gonna add the hot appetizers, I'd like to place an order for some tater skins...cheese, bacon, sour cream, chives...one of my weaknesses!

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

& Jalapeno poppers!!! Yeah!