Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 6.16.17 (Read 24 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4.1 sweaty, humid morning pre-flight miles)
    Marj (3+ miles with errands)
    Twocat (7 morning miles in the wrong replacement shoes)
    Tet (5 morning miles with weather)
    Holly (6 garage TM miles)
    Spacityrunner (3 soggy slow, H&H lunchtime miles)
    Dave (gear-switching gym workout)
    Henrun (3 morning miles)
    BerthaSlayer (4 hot, hot, hot & humid suffer fest miles with hubby)
    Evanflein (5.2 easy-effort miles in near-perfect weather)
    Mike (6 miles)
    StarrRuns (7 post-work bike miles with sore shins)

Glad you had a good, if exhausting (especially after the marathon) tour of the Capital, Runner KSA. I also can't figure out why the heck anyone would ban you from a forum, but I hope you wear that as a badge of honor!

How was the tournament, Jlynne. Is that where the hot air balloon went down yesterday? Scary.

Good ‘getting it done’ run, Marj! Henrun too - and then a sit on your favorite bench.

Tough day in the shoe closet, eh, Twocat?

Thanks for the hockey updates, Dave.

Evanflein, starting mats at a race make a huge difference, allowing for ‘net’ time as well as ‘gun’ time. Having both mats makes all the sense in the world - especially in a large race. 3,000 people for a 10K is nuts!

Mike, as long as there is Hallmark, there will be anniversaries of everything. Congrats to you and Debbie on knowing each other for 30 years!

Starr, I also think about doing a sprint tri someday. But it’ll never get beyond the thinking stage for me, and I’m OK with that.

I finally went to PT yesterday for some getting-worse muscle issues up and down my right leg. Turns out I'm tighter than a drum and that has been causing all kinds of havoc. The guy pulled out all the stops, doing Graston, cupping, and dry needle work. It was not fun, but I'm feeling better today.

7.5 RW miles in 59° dampish weather with mile fartleks this morning. My quicker miles were in the 10s, so I'm happy with that. Now I'm heading out to BWB (Breakfast With the Boss) at our favorite dive (recently voted one of the 10 best places in NH for omelets). It's a good morning!

Good luck, have a blast, and post photos to all the Relayers and other racers this weekend:

06/16-17 TammyinGP - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/16-17 pfriese - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/16-17 Opie - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/17 evanflein - Midnight Sun Run 10k

06/17  wildchild - Bighorn 32 mile, Dayton Wyoming

But first, have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.1 total miles.  Tried the hotel treadmill, but the earphones seemed to be shocking me a little and the ceiling was low. Expensive Hyatt, but still..... Went outside and found the path after a few blocks of traffic.

The banning was pretty spectacular.  I wasn't a fan favorite because this was a forum where you really weren't allowed to do anything but express agreement and sympathy.  With some exceptions (and friends I still have), it was not a running group and they wanted to just complain about how fat and unmotivated they were.  There were particular whines EVERY SINGLE DAY from specific posters.  I made some gentle suggestions on occasion that were not well received.  There wa a Queen of the Forum and my final downfall was that I pissed her off by suggesting that she consider other options to benzodiazepines medication since it was highly addictive and that I had some family members who got caught up in it.  (Basically xanax, Klonopin etc).     She exploded on me and said something very ugly and untrue about one of my family members which amounted to libel.  I asked her to take it down or else she would be receiving a letter from me.  She took it down, but banned me.   It upset a lot of people, but it was truly time for me to go.   My daughter (not the person who was libeled) was horrified and also left the group.  She had been a valued member.   Basically, it was a completely dysfunctional group, which is a shame since it didn't start out that way.  We've had a meetup every year and I still value the friendships I made.     I guess it's a "take what you need and leave the rest" sort of thing.      I absolutely assure you that you would have found this group somewhere between insane and childish.  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

The banning was pretty spectacular. She exploded on me and said something very ugly and untrue about one of my family members which amounted to libel.

Wow! And those are "friends?" Even virtual friends? That's pretty low. I'm glad you found this group!

Jay - do you mind if I ask what your PT charges for an awesome session like that? I'm looking to find one here but cost is an issue.

Yes - where are my adoptive parents off to this time? And why didn't they tell me to pack my suitcase so I could go with?

Happy 30th meeting day anniversary Mike!

I agree Twocat. You can NEVER have too many running shoes.

We spent the day at Erin Hills yesterday watching the US Open. We did see the blimp go down. It was horrible! It deflated and started to fall quickly, then when our eyes met the horizon you could see huge black clouds of smoke. The pilot suffered burns but was lucky to be saved by two other men who pulled him away before the tanks exploded. We were there most of the day and it was almost 90° with no shade. Even lathered with 70spf sunscreen and consuming massive amounts of water it was tough. I felt sorry for the caddies carrying those heavy golf bags up and down the course. We followed Ricky Fowler for a few holes but the crowds were massive. Parking was a nightmare. Because of the location, there were no close options so we had to park at a fairgrounds, then get on a bus for a 30 minute ride to the golf course. A long day with lots of walking. And lots of people!

5 miles this morning with 20 minutes of core work.

Have a great Friday everyone!

mrrun

ksa - stay here, we're an accepting group of people with only a few rules..

about a week ago, we said pack your bags for a meet-up of the burgs' - pittsburgh & gettysburg by way of indiana (cincinnati area)

7 awesome miles for a run you want to bottle - it was easy and felt good -no paper bags in sight!

happy friday and good luck to the racers and relay team

marj

Henrun

Ditto-ran 4.3 miles along the new paths on the Cambridge side of the Charles.

Join us at the 'burghs'🚗

spacityrunner

89f feels like 99f at noon and I head out for a little run.  It was tough...2.5 miles and I didn't die.  Success!!!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rules ?

We have rules ?

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

We don't need no stinkin' rules. Except when Twocat starts yelling about that running in the rain thing, and Ribs used to fine people for tying their jackets around their waists. And something about sending tomwhite fudge, but it's all pretty confusing.  I've never been good with rules.

Jlynne, all I can say is you must be a real golf fan. There's no way in hell you could even pay me to do that. But then again, sounds like there's lots of people who do go so I don't have to. Scary about the blimp, I saw something briefly on the news.

Took today off from work, will also take next Friday, just to make sure summer doesn't pass me by while I work in an office. And wouldn't you know it, the weather isn't that great. Oh well, it's all good. I'm packing up the recycling to clean out the house a bit, including DS2's ancient iMac that my parents gave him maybe 6 years ago? It was old then... and I don't think he ever used it. We have a community electronics recycling the third Friday/Saturday of the month and so today is the day.

Will run a little bit later, but trying to "save" my legs for the 10k tomorrow night.

mrrun

We don't need no stinkin' rules. Except when Twocat starts yelling about that running in the rain thing, and Ribs used to fine people for tying their jackets around their waists. And something about sending tomwhite fudge, but it's all pretty confusing.  I've never been good with rules.

+1  you took the words right from my head!

Look it is NOT my rule! It is in the running rule book. If you do not like it take it up with the running rule book committee. 

catwhoorg since you may not have read the book, rule #1 says, "No running in the rain!"© It does offer options. Just because it is raining does not mean all running everywhere is banned. Otherwise nobody could ever run! Not only is it 5 o'clock somewhere it is raining somewhere. In the rain just means where you are. Now if you are in a building it is not raining, which is why the TM was invented.

Speaking, or writing, of not running, I did not run today. Just an hour on the elliptical. Then all day banging my head trying to figure out why my computer code was producing rubbish for datasets. Finally, finally(!) figured it out. Rather got around the problem. I am still stumped as to why the other code did not work. But working is working and I will take it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

I ran a humid 4.45 miles this morning.

Then work started with a complex problem which I eventually figured out but I sure hate spending my Friday's working that hard.

Cindy's sister is in town from Alexandria VA (where she was out walking her dog a couple days ago very close to where the shooting took place).  Looks like it will be dinner out with the in-laws tonight (FIL, MIL, SIL).  I'm just kind of waiting to hear the when and where.  Should be any minute.  They eat pretty early, following the stereotypes of older people in sitcoms.  I was old before my time because I have always liked to have dinner early.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Papa henry / marj -
                          My great-grandfather used to live
                          in Harrisburg, .  . but it wasn’t the capital of Pennsylvania.

I pissed her off by suggesting that she consider other options to benzodiazepines medication since it was highly addictive and that I had some family members who got caught up in it. 

Too bad for KSA’s “friends.”  
                          As indicated on NPR this morning when the subject stated one’s health was “nobody else’s business,” the truth hurts. Not that I’ve ever had to say the same about minding your own business to some less accepting people outside this forum commenting on my various idiosyncratic aversions, e.g. to running shoes, training, electronic / digital gadgets, etc,
                          However, maybe KSA’s 40 years of superior running, AG awards, etc.’ll entice back others we miss with their memory banks back to the early days, and before, of the running boom, etc. I hope so.
                          For those who ran it in the 2009 then-Boomer

reunion I missed by being in Japan,

this weekend’s annual Seattle Rock’n’Roll’ll
                          be the first of the Seattle marathons to be kicked
                          off the express lanes of the Lake Washington floating
                          bridges by the expanding light rail expansion to Bellevue

and Redmond. The R’n’R’s has also been changed

from Saturdays to Sunday.
                          New route’ll be from UW Husky Stadium for about ten miles

along Lake Washington to the same Seward Park the races’ll

all still run around, then return to a Seahawks Stadium finish downtown.
                          Weekend weather is supposed to improve over the regular

weather I experienced on this morning's fiver but, since I don’t care

about the weather or not one-way-or-the other, I wouldn’t care an iota

anyway even if I were running.

ps - cattywhoops - anyone who's run in it for 40 years

or more and never once whined even though

it been really bad sometimes, is exempt

from twocat's no-running-in-the-rain rule.

pps - we call it the twocat rule since

there are no other citations to it.

ooos jeanne - yesterday’s Bing.com featured Tour-of-America’s cyclists near Fond du Lac.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 after work.

The sweatiest, slowest most humid and horrid 6 of the year so far

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

The odd thing was that she was ASKING for suggestions on meds that she could take to alleviate some anxiety (justified) over what turned out to be a colon cancer diagnosis.  She didn't yet have the diagnosis.  I was just suggesting that there might be better meds for the anxiety.  Others had expressed options as well, but as I said, I was not a fan favorite.  Smile     It turns out on RA if you are the "owner" of a group, you can do whatever you want with it as far as banning people- even without justification.  That Queen has a few critical thinking skill deficiencies, but I wish her well with her cancer treatments. Honestly, you folks would not have lasted 3 days with the complaining, whining and doing nothing about any of it that went on in there!  

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 4 miles tonight just get to used to running multiple days in a row again.  Then I mowed the lawn...I did that because the grass was getting long.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!