Masters Running

New England Challenge--5 Marathons - 5 States - 5 Days (Read 40 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Here is my NEC Race report just in case you didn't get enough of a whole weeks worth of hearing about it while I was doing it.  I wish I could have figure out how to post pictures, but nothing seemed to work.

The New England Challenge -- 5 Marathons - 5 States - 5 Days

As I started looking ahead to how long it was going to take to run marathons in all the states (+ DC), I realized that I was going to have to step up the pace of about 3 a year to get them all done before I turned 61...and then, I stumbled upon the NEC.  The only problem I had with this was: I don't want to do these things in 4 or 5 hours.  I have no problem with other people who take that long--in fact, I have a ton of respect for those who go out and spend that much time enjoying our wonderful sport of running...I just enjoy running more when I feel like I am pushing the pace and running as fast as I can.  The other thing was--I only needed to do the first four of the five states to reach my goal...but the "challenge" was to do five.  How could I just do four, when the challenge is five?  That really bothered me...but, after going back and forth with the idea, I decided to do 4 of the 5 and I would attempt to do each one under 3:30.  If, by some miracle I was still able to walk after doing 4, I might sign up, on race day, and run/walk the fifth one.

Training.  Where do you find a training plan for 4 marathons in 4 days?  If there's one out there, I never found it.  So, I adjusted the plan I use for a single marathon, by taking the week of the long run, which is only 16 miles, and did them 4 days in a row.  On non-long run weeks, I continued to do speed work and tempo runs and only eliminated the tempo run on the long-run weeks.  I did not do the long runs at the pace my normal training requires but, instead, ran them around my goal (for the 4) pace.  I was a little worried about my body breaking down but I monitored myself pretty closely and was willing to adjust if I started feeling that it was too much.  As it turned out, the training went very well, and I felt pretty confident as I started to taper in the last couple of weeks.

Injuries.  I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis in my left foot and Achilles tendinitis in my right.  While neither injury was really bothering me while I ran, I just kept a close eye on them and iced them both after every run.  But, yes, I was somewhat concerned about either one of them being my downfall and preventing me from finishing my races.

The trip.  I can't even begin to explain how amazing this trip was.  Yeah, the scenery was nice and all that...but the support and well wishes I received from my family and friends...and the other runners, was just unbelievable.

After arriving in Boston on Saturday morning, I picked up my car and headed toward Portland, Maine.  But, along the way, I stopped to have lunch with Marj, Henry, Jay, and Kevin.  These are all very busy people and, it's not like they live a block down the road, but they all took the time and drove to Portsmouth, NH, to meet and have lunch with me.  I had already met Marj and Henry so I knew how great they were already and Jay and Kevin were just as great.  I just appreciate them so much for coming out and meeting me.

I continued to Portland, ME, ate, and went to bed.  On Sunday morning, I received a text from Andy offering to take me on a tour of the city or do whatever I wanted to do.  Maine is one state that I have always wanted to go to and spend some time in, so I jumped at the chance of getting a chance to see a small part of it.  Andy was great.  He really could be a tour guide.  And Maine is everything I had imagined and more.  It really is a beautiful state.  After having another great lunch with Andy, he dropped me off at my hotel and I began to get ready for Monday--marathon #1.

The thought of actually doing 4 marathons in 4 days was really becoming a heavy load.  It had been fun to watch the reactions of the people to whom I told about this challenge in the months and weeks before...but now...now that it was time to actually do it...well, it wasn't seeming to be so much fun anymore.

Marathon #1--Pine Tree Marathon--Portland, Maine: 7 laps of 3.62 miles plus an out and back of .86 at the beginning.  Andy had shown me the course the day before so I knew exactly how to get there and what I was facing...well...except for the 30mph wind.  I knew that my biggest challenge, in this race, would be to hold myself back.  And, sure enough, when the horn sounded, I wanted to take off with the leaders.  I just kept telling myself to slow down and, luckily, I hooked up with a guy in the first couple of miles that wanted to run a 3:30, as well, so I stayed with him.  Cole was only doing the one race of the challenge, but is running one marathon a month until he gets all the states done.  Cole was very good at reeling me back in and I really appreciated him doing it.  And then came Andy.  Again--taking time out of his day to come and do whatever he could to help me.  Cole and I had agreed to break wind for each other on every other lap, but when Andy came, he took over those duties.  Seriously--the toughest part of the course became the easiest because we were not working at all with Andy leading the way through that strong wind.  Man, I appreciated that!  When Andy left, we only had a couple more laps to go and I felt great.  I wanted to go!  But Cole held me back and I obeyed.  With one lap to go, Cole started to struggle.  I wanted to leave him behind so badly, but felt obligated to stay...even though we had both agreed to do what we had to do at the end.  I did end up pulling him through the windy part so I wouldn't feel guilty when I left him in the last few yards to secure my 3rd place finish...it's still a race, after all.  My time was 3:26:46 and I was happy with that.  So--about that 3rd place finish--I'm still confused about it.  All the results I have seen, show me in 3rd, yet the race official insisted that I was second and gave me the 2nd place plaque.  She tried to explain the situation, but I didn't understand it, so...whatever...I placed in the top three.

After the race, I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, drank a bottle of Gatorade, and went back to the hotel room, where I iced my feet, took a shower, and headed out for the next one.

Marathon #2--Granite State Marathon--Nashua, New Hampshire: 5 laps of 5.08 miles, plus .8 miles at the start.  This one was all on trails and under the cover of trees.  I was a little concerned about how I would hold up, after the race the day before and, I have to admit, I was a little irritated that there were people there who hadn't run the previous day.  A part of me wanted to take off and show them that I could still beat them on my old tired legs, but decided to stop being such a jerk and just stick to my plan. I just kept reminding myself that my goal was to run 4 marathons under 3:30.  Whether I took 1st or 51st, if I could go under 3:30, I would be happy. This one started getting tough half way through.  My stomach was not doing well and I was just beating myself up with the thought of having to do two more.  There were two water stops--one at the start and one at midway.  I was stopping at each to drink Gatorade and water.  I was on my final lap when I realized that my Garmin kept pausing every time I stopped so my pacing really was not accurate.  I tried picking it up to make sure I make it under 3:30 and I finished in 3:27:14 and in 8th place.  I was really glad to be done!  I limped back to the car, ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, drank a bottle of Gatorade, and headed for the hotel where, once again, I iced my feet, took a shower, and headed for the next one.

By this time, my left foot was really bothering me after my runs.  When I would get up to go to the bathroom, during the night, it would hurt like crazy.  It was weird--as much as it was hurting--I never thought of not running the next day, because it never bothered me while on the course.

Marathon #3--Red Island Marathon--Warwick, Rhode Island: 9 laps of 2.7 miles plus 1.9 miles at the start.  This is when the challenge really became fun for me.  There were a few new people, including a lady who had bonked at Boston and wanted to BQ, so this was the only one she was doing.  I went a couple miles with her, but decide to let her go and settle into my own pace.  Because this was a nine loop course, I started lapping a few people...a few times.  But, by doing that, they started to get to know me, and me them.  So, after awhile, we were all encouraging each other and it was very cool.  I have always admired those who run these things in 6...7...even 8 hours, so it was nice to actually see them during a race.  Again, I was feeling a little sick to my stomach.  But, I figured I didn't feel any worse than I did the day before, so I just ignored it.  When I went through the timing mat with 3 laps to go, the timer told me I was 3 minutes behind the leader, which made me completely forget about any issues I was having.  I didn't want to go crazy, or anything, so I kept a nice, steady pace for the next lap.  When I was told I was only 1 1/2 minutes behind the leader, with 2 laps to go...well...I picked it up a bit.

Tim Green, who has been going through some issues with a botched back surgery and can barely walk, right now, had contacted me through Facebook, offered some words of encouragement, and asked me to run a mile for him.  I told him that I would dedicate the 21st mile to him because, once I get to mile 22 in a marathon, I know that I can finish.  Well, it just so happened, that I passed the leader at the end of that 21st mile…although, I didn’t know it at the time.  I, actually, thought there was another guy still in front of us, so I was working pretty hard to try to catch him.  All this time, the people I was lapping, were cheering me on and some had even learned my name, so all of their support just really got me moving through that last lap.  I never caught anybody else so, when I crossed the line and they told me I had won, I was pretty surprised.  My time was 3:22:05 and about 5 minutes faster than the first two...which, I was happy about...but a little worried that I had sacrificed my remaining races for this win.  So, I headed to my car, where I ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, drank a bottle of Gatorade...are catching a trend here?

Between each race, after checking into my new hotel, I would eat some pasta then ice my feet some more.  Around 6:00 I would eat more pasta and go to bed around 7:00.  I never slept very well, waking up about every two hours.  Sometimes, I would go right back to sleep but, sometimes, it took a while.  My whole pooping schedule gets out of whack when I leave home and I was having issues with that the whole time.  There were times, while out on the course, when I wondered if I was going to poop my pants...or puke.  But, I figured if I did either, I would deal with it and move on.  Okay--enough of that.

Marathon #4--Nutmeg State Marathon--Hartford, Connecticut:  12 laps of 2.13 miles plus .64 miles at the start.  I was riding a high when I arrived at this race.  My legs were tired, my stomach was uneasy--but I was yesterday's winner and everybody was greeting me and treating me like I was somebody special.  It was also my last one, if I decided I wanted it to be...although...I kind of knew all along that I would be doing all 5.  We had a couple of younger guys show up so I had to get myself to focus on what I had in front of me.  I had a chance to complete 4 marathons in 4 days under 3:30.  This had been something I had been thinking about for months and, all I had to do, was run this one more marathon in that time.  After we went out and back once, we headed out for the 12 laps.  It started downhill and I felt like I was flying.  It felt so good!  I was in 2nd place and I figured I'd just let gravity do its work and enjoy the ride while I could.  I was passed right after the 1st lap but was way under my goal pace, so I just let him go.  I loved these 12 laps.  I started a regular routine at the water stop of a Gatorade, a water, and a banana.  It was just a couple sips of each and a bite of the banana as I walked to make sure my watch didn't stop.  The volunteers never caught on to this routine, but a half marathoner, who had finished did, so for that last few laps he was there waiting for me to hand me all three.  Just him doing that meant so much to me and it really inspired me to work that much harder.  And THEN, with 3 laps to go--I hear my name being called out and turn to see Kevin!  I'm still trying to figure this all out--Kevin meets us in New Hampshire for lunch one day--then he drops by my race in Connecticut on his way to work another day.  I don't get it, but it sure was nice to see him and I loved the honk as he drove by on his way out with two laps to go.  As I crossed the timing mat on that 2nd lap, the timer told me I was catching the next two guys.  With that, and the honk from Kevin's horn, I was off to catch them.  I passed the one kid who had nothing left in him and I could see the next one up ahead.  As I passed one of the guys, who had done the previous three, he said, "He's really looking rough up there.  Go get him!"    I was just so inspired by all of these people who were fighting their own battles and dealing with their own issues and they were cheering for me!  I felt like I had to win this race for all of us.  I did manage to catch him but when he saw me, he picked up his pace.  Unfortunately, we had just come to the steep, uphill climb, that we all had to battle 12 times, and my legs were not cooperating.  As we went through the water stop everybody was cheering me on and encouraging me to catch him but, to his credit, he had a whole lot more left in his tank than I had in mine and I never came close to catching him again.  I crawled up that steep hill for the last time--determined not to walk--and to get to the finish line that I knew was just over the top.  3:22:16!  I had done it! 4 marathons in 4 days all under 3:30.

One of the things that bothers me about this whole series is: they give you one shirt.  You pay over $100 for each race and you get one shirt--whether you run 1 or 5--you get one shirt...one shirt that says "5 Marathons - 5 States - 5 Days".  Like Mikey said in his text: "You'll forever have to explain why you only did 4 if you don't do all 5.  Now, HTFU!"  Well, I had to Google "HTFU" and I will let you, as well.

Marathon #5--Old Colony Marathon--Springfield, Massachusetts:  14 laps of 1.8 miles plus 1 mile at the start.  I really had my doubts about this 5th one.  My body was feeling run down.  My left knee had stated hurting and both calves were feeling tight.  But, I told myself that I had already accomplished my goal by running the first four so, anything I did on Friday would just be a bonus.  So many of the people, who had done the first four, had walked a lot of their races and I figured I could do that too.  Also, I wanted to make sure that I thanked a few of those people who had encouraged me and helped me get through some of my tough times during the week.  It was very strange being at the start of this race...I did nothing to prepare myself...I just took off my tights and jacket, made my way to the starting line, and boom--we were off and running.  Some fresh legs had shown up and, as expected, they took off pretty quickly.  I have to admit that I was a little irritated with them for showing up to do the last marathon of a 5 marathon challenge.  But--I just relaxed and settled into running my race.  I really did not feel that I was working all that hard, but every time I looked at my Garmin, it was showing me running between a 7:20 and 7:30 pace.  I tried slowing myself down, fearing that by going out too fast on this one, might really come back to bite me at the end.  On the other hand, I thought, "This is my last one--I can rest tomorrow.  How cool would it be to run the last one, the fastest?"  Before the race, one of the guys who had encouraged me in our previous races said to me, "Hey--go get a 3:20, today!"  I laughed at that statement then, but now I was thinking, "Let's go for a 3:20, today," and I continued to run nice and steady.  Well, about 8 miles into it, I was back to thinking that this might just be a day when I would just walk with all my new friends I had made during the week.

Karin had sent me a message the day before, explaining that she was out of town and would not be able to come cheer me on, as she had hoped to do.  BUT, she was going to send a friend--actually a couple of friends, but one ended up having to work and was unable to come--but Vanessa (who was described as being a "tall blonde") would be there around 7:00.

And there I was, around that 8 mile area, feeling like this might be the day to pack it in, when I saw this tall blonde girl, running the wrong direction, encouraging everybody she met along the way.  As she went by me, I yelled, "Are you Vanessa?"  Yes, it was Vanessa and, just like that, she turned and started running with me.  Well...I guess I couldn't walk now, could I?  She was exactly what I needed at the exact time I needed it.  It was like a new fresh start.  We just talked and ran like two people out for a morning run around a park...because, well...we were out running…in the morning…around a park...but she was so encouraging and really helped me through some long tough miles.  Vanessa is a 3:20 marathoner, herself, and had just run a marathon a month earlier, so she, probably, hadn't been back to training--if at all--for very long.  But here she was cranking out these 7:30 to 7:45 mile splits with me.  By the time she had to stop running, my confidence was back and I was determined to finish this under 3:30...if not faster.  And, although, she had stopped running, Vanessa stayed to encourage and cheer for me until the end.  I don't think she could ever really understand how much she helped me get through this race...I am very appreciative to her and to Karin for caring enough to send her to me.

So--my final couple laps, while tough, were actually pretty fun--especially, the last one when I knew that, even if I walked it, I would finish under 3:30.  But it was more fun trying to get under that 3:20 mark--and I was pushing for it.  Well--I didn't quite make it, finishing in 3:20:25 and in 6th place, but I was pretty dang happy with that...and even more happy to be done.

So--5 marathons--in 5 states--in 5 days--all under 3:30.  I am still having a hard time believing that I actually did it.  During my training, I had always envisioned myself doing it and I really believed that, if I paced myself correctly, I could do it, but now that I really have done it...I am trying to figure out how I did it.

I do know that I did not do this by myself.  If it had not been for the support and encouragement of so many people, I do not believe this would have been possible.  Starting with Debbie who allows me to do these crazy things and puts up with my crazy schedules and my complaining about aches and pains and no time to train and on and on and on.  And the encouraging texts from my kids...well...sometimes they brought tears to my eyes.  From the day they were born, I have always tried to make them proud of me, and they sure seemed pretty proud.  So many well wishes from my Facebook friends--it was amazing how many responded to my daily posts and offered such praise and words of encouragement.  My RunningAhead friends--Jay, Kevin, Marj, and Henry meeting me for lunch--Andy being my tour guide, then showing up to help me get through the most difficult weather conditions of the week--Kevin showing up to cheer me on in a race just when I needed it the most--Karen sending her friend, Vanessa, to help me pull off my best race of the challenge.  The rest of my RA friends as they continued to support me through Facebook and on the Master's forum.  And, finally, my new friends who went through this challenge with me.  I was just so overwhelmed with how they were supporting and encouraging me.  My one regret is that I was not able to stay after I was done and cheer them all in to the finish.  I wish I had planned that better with my hotel situation.

Okay--that about wraps it up.  I'll rest a week or two...or three, then start training for Portland.  Again--thank you to everybody who supported me throughout this challenge.

See ya!

HermosaBoy

Bravo!!!  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Well. That sure was fun to read!  Congratulations, Mike!  Wow. Wow. Wow. Truly amazing. Thank you for sharing this story.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

As I have said before, I don't believe I've ever done 5 days in a row of any length, so this was really amazing to me.  You'll be happy to know that you got mentioned quite a few times in conversation.  You may not be quite as happy that most of those started out as "I've got this crazy friend..........."

Anyway, I'm very happy that I was able to be a tiny part of your success.  You will also have noticed that I was not crazy enough to try to run with you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike! Congratulations again! Amazing, amazing, amazing! I am so glad Vanessa was able to run with you and cheer too. She's a fabulous friend and was happy to help. Rest and recover well now.

Sayhey! MM#130

Quite an incredible accomplishment.  There should be a record book for this mind of inspired craziness.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Lots of people do lots of marathons nowadays.

Few, if any, have ever done five so consistent and fast.

ps - maybe check out the Oregon Coast for a warm up

the day before the Portland Marathon when you're out there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I didn't even know this was possible.....

Cole and I had agreed to break wind for each other

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Seriously, Mike - this was an incredible achievement.  To complete the distances at all, even walking, 5 days in a row is amazing, but to run each race so fast, and the last one fastest of all, is just absolutely astounding.  You are my hero!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

an amazing likeness

Epic. Truly epic.

In my (almost) 10 years on RunningAhead there have been some amazing feats of feet...I'd note DoppleBock's 24-hour world performance in 2010 where he ran the last 5K as his fastest laps (after 24 hours!) to pull the US team to 3rd place.  I'd note BHearn's Spartathon (sp?), and then there's the 'life style' runners like SRLopez who set unfathomable standards for physical and mental durability.

I can easily add this 5-day performance to my list.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Epic. Truly epic.

In my (almost) 10 years on RunningAhead there have been some amazing feats of feet...I'd note DoppleBock's 24-hour world performance in 2010 where he ran the last 5K as his fastest laps (after 24 hours!) to pull the US team to 3rd place.  I'd note BHearn's Spartathon (sp?), and then there's the 'life style' runners like SRLopez who set unfathomable standards for physical and mental durability.

I can easily add this 5-day performance to my list.

+1!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...quite an accomplishment mike//....you are One Tough Competitor

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jlynne

I'm literally speechless - and in total awe. To run 5 marathons in 5 days with the last one being your fastest? Wow!

Thanks for taking us along on your adventure Mike. Great RR. And I wasn't kidding - I think this would make an awesome read. How about submitting an article to Runner's World? You have a gift with words - maybe you could make a LONG poem out of it

Congratulations, Marathon Maniac Mike!

Dave59

5 fast marathons in 5 consecutive days. So beyond the realm of reality that I have to wonder if you are an alien (from another galaxy).

TammyinGP

This is such an amazing accomplishment! I loved reading every word of this and felt the excitement building going into your 5th race, even though I already knew that was your fastest one. Well done Mike!! I'm so in awe, so inspired and have so much respect for your discipline and fortitude! And Debbie - well she is a saint, you know! not many spouses, who aren't runners themselves, tolerate this sort of craziness! But I'm sure she knew since day one she was marrying a special kind of crazy 

Tammy