Masters Running

Thursday, February 25 Daily runs and such (Read 479 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

This morning was a short 3 miler.  10:39 / 10:32 / 10:11   I'm just happy that I made myself get out of bed and do it as I seem to be missing that running feeling lately.   I plan on getting out tomorrow too and then not until Sunday eve.   DH has entered his Cushman in the West Michigan Motorcyle show so we are that over tomorrow night and then heading over to Frankenmuth for a little get away.   I have never been there and have lived in Michigan my whole life, so it is about time.

I hope Perch is safe out on his run this morning.   That was a close call yesterday!

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Enjoy the chicken dinner and Bonner's christmas place in Frankenmuth, Mary!

Today was a good run.  12 miles with 4 x 4 minutes at HMP (7:55?), 4 minutes full recovery between each.  There was about a 25 to 30 mph wind out of the northwest this morning as the weather is cooling off.  So I ran 6 miles into the stiff breeze, turned around, and started the HMP repeats.  (8:00, 7:51, 7:42, 7:42).  Finished it off with 2.5 miles cool down which ended up being at MP.  Average pace overall of 8:47.

I'm going to pull out all the stops in this HM on Sunday to get a good gauge on my current fitness.  Pray for me that I don't injure myself or crash and burn too badly!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Enke—two routs in a row, Slovakia’s upset over Sweden…I think the Canadians can go all the way.  (It’s the scarf, I tell ya. )

Perch—I saw you dissing me on last night’s thread.   (Did you actually remember how long it took me to run Washington?  Or did you just realize that it’s a safe assumption that Henry kicked my butt at any distance?)

Mary—thanks for starting us off today; enjoy your getaway

Byll—go for it this weekend!

Big day for us yesterday: we drove down our driveway for the first time since that big storm last month.  It took me a few tries to get my pitiful little 2-wheel drive truck through the remaining snow but I eventually succeeded and we now have good ruts cleared all the way to the house.  Ah, it’s the little things in life. 

Good luck to all you folks who got/are getting socked this time around.  We dodged this one.

For this week’s ML run, I added all the hills I’ve got while trying to hold on to MP pace.  Splits were all over the place due to the hills, but it all averaged out.  12 miles @ 7:41.  That was very tough, though. Ouch.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning, gang!

Mary - I second Byll's advice - you have to visit the Christmas store!   Have fun showing off the Cushman!

Byll - best wishes for the half marathon!

dg - I don't think your down time will be that extensive.  Just think of it as a little extended healing time for your butt - you'll probably benefit in the long run. 

{{{Amy}}} - speedy recovery!

Jlynne - who's going to take care of Will when you and his parents are running the half marathon?!!!

Denise - thanks!!  You should come down, visit your parents and walk the Hyannis with me ;-). 

74 long minutes on the elliptical this morning.  Average heart rate was 157 - the highest I've seen so far, but it was more due to dehydration than effort.  dg - I think you are right about the machine not compensating.  I think I was compensating - going much faster than I realized during the recoveries.  This morning, I didn't have any "recovery" in the recoveries.  It was a struggle to get to even a 160 cadence. 

I have a new training partner who drove us to agility class last night.  Nice to have company, but she didn't stop anywhere for dinner - we left the house at 4:00 and got back at 9:30.  I was too tired to bother with food when I got home, so I was calorie and fluid deprived yesterday (poor me ;-).  I made up for it this morning with steel cut oats mixed with fresh blueberries.   

Good runs all! 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Henrun

Tramps-I'm not kicking anyone's butt these days-least of all yours!!!!                                     

Rain slowed to a drizzle this morning (heavy stuff due this afternoon), so I decided to get 4 miles in. Enjoyable run.

Does anyone notice that when you're running in the rain (or snow) that other runners are more friendly than usual?

It's as if they're saying, "I'm glad there's someone as crazy as me out there".

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

I think we need a picture of Carolyn running in a skirt and Yaks.  That can be the picture for February in our RA calendar.

I woke up 20 minutes late because my radio alarm had gotten off the station, so my run was shorter than I had intended, but, like CNYRunner says, when short on time go for quality...

1 mile WU @10:20

40 minutes of (2 min. @ 8:20/1 min. @ 10:00/1 min. @ 7:13/1 min. @ 10:00)

.45 mile CD @ 10:00

6 miles total

MTA - and 56 push-ups (20+22+14)

I had promised my kids a little “alone time with Mom” after my schedule slowed up, so last night I took DS to the bowling alley to shoot some pool while DD was at gymnastics with DH.  DD is such a high-maintenance child that DS doesn’t often get much attention when she’s around, and this was the first time in quite a long time that he and I had gone off together without her.  He’s growing up so fast, I need to make it a priority to spend time with him while I can.

Snow last night, with more predicted today, tomorrow and the next day.  So much for any attempts at speed on my 20-miler Sunday.

...(thanksmariposaiforyourgreatadviceI'llletyouknowhowitgoes).....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Carolyn, what do I suggest you do that is daring????

Well for starters just today you can eat your dessert first; you can drive on a road less traveedl on the way home from work; you can talk to a co-worker you don't really know well; you can dye your head purple for one day; if you have a meeting today you can enter the room by singing your favorite tune...

or...I can make it very easy for you...

dance to this as you are listening to it...right there, right in front of your computer...ohh and you can pretend you are playing the guitar too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xigwtXcrXBA

4 miles easy. The legs were very tired, I think my run yesterday did me some good.

good luck HOlly!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning good people. It's almost the end of the week - AND - the end of the month!

Have fun this weekend Mary. Let us know how the Cushman does. At this time of the year, get-aways are always nice. How is the expectant mother doing today? Any morning sickness?

Good luck with your HM this weekend Bill. Hope the course is nice and flat and you get a PR. Looking forward to reading your RR.

Glad that Tramps finally made it to the end of his driveway yesterday. Gotta take your victories in small increments. Tough workout this morning - great pace.

Hope your eye is better this morning Sue. If you keep driving to evening classes with your friend, you'll have to start packing a lunch! Grandpa will probably take Will in his stroller for the HM. Can't seem to get him running much these days. (Grandpa, not Will )

GoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHollygoodluckHolly

Thanks for the YouTube link, Mariposai. I just downloaded that song to my IPod. Take care of those weary legs the rest of the day.

Nice to see Henrun posting again!

6 miles in 6° temps this morning, 9:51 pace. I wish I'd known how close I was so I could have run more miles than degrees, but as my 5 year-old great nephew says, "you get what you get and you don't have a fit." Jumped rope for 5 minutes and did some core work.

Heard some cardinals chirping this morning!  Doesn't take much to get me excited these days...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

3 miles on the TM this morning.  Absolutely no effect from the shorter run yesterday, so figured I'd try again.  Did a few different elevations and paces, but ran out of time to hit the 4.5 that I should have done.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for the daring suggestions, Mari!  And just last night I had dessert before dinner!  The high school theater group had a fundraiser at a local ice cream place, Cold Stone Creamery, so when I picked DD up after school we went over and had ice cream.  I didn't know that qualified as daring, though. I already live on a road less traveled - it's a dead end road with 3 houses on it. I think I'll pass on the suggestions to dye my hair purple or sing at the staff meeting, though, but thanks anyway.

Tramps,. congrats on driving down the driveway!  I can relate.  We only hiked out to our car for two days, but being able to drive to the house was such a relief yesterday. And I even have 4WD.  If I had 2WD I'd be hiking in and out all winter, or putting chains on.

Nice 12-milers for Bill and Tramps today. Bill, I hope you get cool weather for your half this weekend so you can grab that PR!

Holly, glad you got to spend some one-on-one time with DS.  I only have one kid so it's easier for me, but she's still growing up too fast.  Goodluckttodaywe'rethinkingaboutyou!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps.. you threw everything into this run, were you carrying the kitchen sink up those hills too?  Great workout!

(ps.. Mt Washington.. I peeked. I remember you doing those long treadmill runs on some steep ramp settings!)

Byll- nice 12 too!

Jlynnne miles = deg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue.. nice getting that HR up there.

Ellipticals are weird, cadence vs resistance, you choose. It depends if you want to do fast turnover toning or build power muscles.

4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 39:17 (9:49 pace).. totally uneventful.

ETA: 36+20 pushups but then watched an Army training video and ended up doing another 3x10 + 14 (with feet on chair)  for a total 100 pushups today!

http://www.baseops.net/basictraining/pushups.html

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

goodluckholly!!!!!

more in a little while.  

happy Friday ya'll.

(this is a test, this is only a test)   (anybody believe that?)

oh man, I was trying to get back in here before anyone saw that.     um, er, thanks Byll.  

Ummmm DG, it's only Thursday.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

breger1 good luck with the HM this weekend.  You can avoid burning by not running too fast. 

I have not been checking in the past few days and today is rather busy so this will just be a pretty short note.  The weather here in CT is AWFUL!  Rain/sleet/snow nonstop now for a week and more for today and tomorrow.  I had grand plans of coming into NYC today, spending the night, and then working here in NYC and going out tomorrow night.  Well the best laid plans . . . my DW has to be back in our hometown for work tomorrow.  So I am heading home tonight too.  Then back to NYC tomorrow.  All the while it will be snowing or raining -- just plain miserable.  Yea, yea, wine, wine, wine . . . I know.

On the bright side I bought baby bananas earlier this week.  They are going to be just perfect for muffins for the weekend!  If you have never had baby bananas I highly recommend trying them!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mary, glad you got your mojo back.  I've been missing that running feeling lately and find I am just pushing myself out the door.  This week I've had a sore throat and GI problems so I am missing my third day in a row, and don't care!  The old Enke would have been freaked to miss 3 days in a row.

Tramps, glad you can finally reach civilization, and w.r.t. hockey, , here are 7 smilies for Canada.

Holly, for the life of me I can't figure out my clock radio.  I pushed snooze and the radio came on permanently.  Usually I push a button that turns off the alarm.

Byll, it is this weekend??  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  Don't go out too fast!  You can always dump your tank the last three miles.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."