Masters Running

Shamrock Marathon RR (Read 520 times)

Renee the dog

Subtitled: Oh yes you can run a marathon on a pretzel nub, 2 coconut waters and ½ of a clif shot block!

By the numbers:  My second marathon ever, with my first being last November.  Results: 4:26:21.  My slower of the two marathons by 26:05.  But, it really wasn’t a bad day.

Ramblings: Usually, I have 3 levels of goals set for a race…any race.  For this one, all heck broke loose with my health the week before the race.  I caught a cold, couldn’t sleep, and had lower GI issues.  WTH?  Talk about taper madness!  I never did set any goals, but simply asked my husband a few times, “What do you think I’m going to do out there?”  He kept reminding me I regularly pull off some good performances in less than ideal circumstances.  I had almost no sleep the first two nights in Virginia Beach…ugh! However, Saturday night, I had a great night’s sleep, and I woke up ready to race.

As I was walking to the start, though, I knew the odds were not in my favor.  I had a  lousy training cycle and now was physically depleted, I still had a lot of confidence in my body and its strength.  But, when miles 1 & 2 went well, I knew it was going to be a different kind of day.  Before mile 3, a group of 3 joined up with me, and by mile 4, we were 10 strong.  The first 14 miles flew by, with us right on time for a 4:00:00 finish.   My only issue was that I couldn’t take any nutrition, other than the coconut water, and that was iffy!  I tried a pretzel nub, almost died.  Did ½ of a clif shot some time later, almost threw up.  

Around mile 15, my lower GI decided to remind me it existed. GREAT!  Just uncomfortable, nothing I needed to address, but one more thing to keep in mind as I tried to race up the hill that 2.5 mi (or so) hill starting at mi 16.  Well, unfortunately, I didn’t notice that my sinuses had drained into my lungs, and suddenly, I was unable to get any breath.  What a pain!  It stinks to be unable to continue to run on a hill. Walking uphill hurts like hell!!!  Esp. when you can’t really breathe.  I like running uphill, so once I got my lungs clear, I took off again.  It didn’t last too long.  I probably walked on and off about 6 times, including through some of Fort Story.  Finally the lungs really started clearing, and I was so glad to be able to run continuously.  Have I made it clear walking really hurts?  Oh, my hips were on fire from the walking. 

So, at that point that I could run again continuously, I realized my overall goal is to hit the finish line at the Ocean Drive marathon next week, so I hit a nice recovery pace of an 11:05-11:07ish, and hauled it on to the finish.  At mile 25, they had one of many dj vans on the course, playing Tom Petty’s American Girl. Hey, a decent song with a good beat! And then I burst into tears.  And then I started laughing at myself because I don’t even like Tom Petty. So, the blocks clicked by, with me laughing and crying up a storm.  +   =  I couldn’t pull it together, so I ran to the finish that way. There were lots of very young kids working the chute, freaking out on me as I came through! "Ma'am you OK???"  I guess I was one of only a few criers who found it hysterically funny to be crying as I got to the finish.  Ya think?

Overall, I want this one again.  For me, it is a beautiful race course, with great, low key organization that fits my style.  Running with a whole mess of people in the first few miles wasn’t a big deal as people really sorted themselves out well at the starting line, at least for the 4 hour-ish folks. (No corrals for the marathon.  They did corral the half and the 8K on Sat).  The post-race party was just sweet – on the sand, with music, beer, and dogs welcome. Nothing like sipping a beer, with my running partner licking my sore toes while I looked at the waves to make me feel like I had a wonderful day, even if it included trying to race while not breathing…or eating.  

I had the time of my life! I think I like marathoning.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

You're tough!  Amazing that you finished so well, given the circumstances.  Glad you had good weather to enjoy the post-race festivities.

For some reason, I thought Shamrock was pretty much dead flat. I had no idea there were big hills!

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I haven't decided if I like Marathoning yet but when I read the reports I get those chills.....My Grandma would call them Holy Ghost chills.....I want to go do one.

Great Report nono........those lower GI issue can be awful. I'm glad you were able to get thru them along with the other adversities.

Keep on truckin !

Renee the dog

For some reason, I thought Shamrock was pretty much dead flat. I had no idea there were big hills!

Oh forgive me...it is just one low grade uphill -- wouldn't have been difficult under normal circumstances. It seems really long (and big) while walking.    Oh, and there's 1 bridge  that get crossed 2x early on. Nothing rough at all.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You did great nono!   Geez, with all you have been through with fighting off illness, etc. - you still got out there and ran a great race.   Sorry you couldn't breath or eat though - those two things come in pretty handy while you run a marathon.  Wink

I love the dog friendly finish area too.   Lucky Renee.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Shamrock sounds like a nice race!  I think I'd like that sea level running. Too bad you had GI and breathing problems, but you ran a good race anyway.  I liked how you realized your goal was actually to finish your next race, and re-adjusted your pace accordingly.  Not long till you're a MANIAC! (Although I suspect you've been one for years...)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh no, nono!

I forgot that you were running this, deegee told me you were and I forgot.

I wish we could've met up.

I only ran the half but, I remember during the run thinking, "Golly I am glad I am not running the full today."

The Shamrock Weekend is a nice low-key event even though it is big.

What made me happy that I wasn't running the full was: 

a. I didn't train for it.

b. It started one hour after the half. It was getting warmer and windier.

The half start was perfect.  I was in the green corral and we started about 1-2 minutes after the front runners.  It was a little bit crowded but nothing to write home about.  It seems we were all where we should be.

But NONO, this is your race report and I want to tell you that I enjoyed reading it.  I laughed, I cried... just kidding.  I liked the details you included and could really relate to your story. Ralph wanted to run the marathon you are running next week but, I told him it was too close to Boston.  (he is running Boston, not me)

The Shamrock post race party was nice!  

The ocean is like a big eraser after running a big race.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

Congratulations on finishing #2 and keeping the overall goal in mind! You'll make a great Maniac, Nono!

I'd heard this marathon is really windy... was it this time? I think PeterNC has run this one a couple times.

Too bad you and Rosie couldn't meet up, but glad Renee got to join in the post-race celebration.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

But wait!

Erika!

I just got off the phone with Ralph and he says, "Sign me up!"

So we are going to go to Nono's next marathon...

Now I have to decide whether to torture myself with the marathon or have a hot diggity time in the 10-miler....

See you in New Jersey Nono!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

Photographic evidence will be required, you know.

And I'll see YOU and Ralph in Boston!!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Okay.

Nono, let me know if I can be of assistance.  I just signed up for the 10 miler.  Ralph is registered for the marathon.  He said he had to run a 20 miler anyway, so why not run it in New Jersey.

The closest hotel I could get is in Ocean City NJ.  I believe the ferry from Delaware doesn't start until 0930 so we had to be in NJ, right?

See you on Sunday!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Photographic evidence will be required, you know.

And I'll see YOU and Ralph in Boston!!

See you!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nono – I’ve had marathons that ranged from 3:48 to 4:35 – each one is full of the unique challenges of that day.  You toughed this one out with some serious obstacles – great job!  And a 4:26 is pretty awesome, with all those things considered.  To be honest, I may not beat that time at Boston.   

I may have to run this one year, since I have a brother who lives in the area that I never get to see.  What were the temperatures like?

Rosie - I'll be seeing you at Boston, too!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Okay.

Nono, let me know if I can be of assistance.  I just signed up for the 10 miler.  Ralph is registered for the marathon.  He said he had to run a 20 miler anyway, so why not run it in New Jersey.

The closest hotel I could get is in Ocean City NJ.  I believe the ferry from Delaware doesn't start until 0930 so we had to be in NJ, right?

See you on Sunday!

Yes, this time of year, the ferry will be way too late.

For h/motels, Wildwood/North Wildwood would be best since you are finishing in North Wildwood, while Ralph will continue on to Sea Isle to the finish.  But, you can also park in North Wildwood at the 10 mile finish and ride busses to the start in Cape May. 

If you decide to look for something a bit closer, you might want to check with these folks:http://cabrerarealty.com/portfolio.php   Many of our motels are seasonal, but the condos are much more flexible.    

Hope that helps!  I'll PM you my cell phone number.  Hope we can meet up for sure! 

Renee the dog

Weather conditions!  Sorry -- forgot about that.  It warmed up quick to about 70ºF (best guess) with the winds probably 10-15 mph predominantly from the S...for a coastal gal like me, it was a perfect day weatherwise. 

Oh, fashion report (forgot that too).  Green Nike Border skirt, nonoruns singlet from Running Banana, Adidas adizero CS shoes (not the right choice -- ask my toes today).  And, I did strip the singlet off.   Didn't see one course photographer until I took the darn singlet off.  I am NOT looking forward to race pictures and will not be posting my bib number!