Masters Running

40's on the Run week of 1/27 - even the Superbowl is over 40 now (Read 532 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm scheduled to do my first 20 miler in about 4 long runs from now.If I get through that ok,I'll register for a May marathon. Confused
    Do you run alone? If so, try audio books. They save my life on the really long runs (in loops around my boring tract-home neighborhood).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jfa

Hey Folks- Holly ~ thanks for the suggestion.I'm going to try that.I have to admit,it's more of a mental challenge at this point to psyche myself into running almost 3 hours at a time than a physical thing.At least until my legs get a taste of what 20 miles feels like Shocked Leslie- you are NOT allowed to get sick right after vacation.Please hurry back soon.Besids, I need you to keep corecting my pour speling!!! Carol- Hey,not all runs will be awesome ya know. Farm what a beautiful picture!! So,you want dreary and ugly,here's the New Jersey Turnpike this morning ,getting up by Newark.This is why NJ has such a bad rep around the country. Take that Evil grin

Joe - You'll do fine on the 20-miler. Holly's suggestion of audio books is a good one. I also download programs onto my iPod, like 60 minutes, NPR, etc. They really help you "zone out." Carol - So sorry to hear about Katy. How scary! Did you try to kick that boxer's a$$?? Not good for the owners to have a dog that appears to be unpredictable. We're trying to survive here. Not good when both people are down for the count. No one to go to the store to resupply! I was scheduled to participate in the Clam Beach Run this Saturday. Don't think it's going to happen now. All I can say is, thank God this happened after we got home. I can't even imagine being this sick and not being home, let alone in another country. Farmer Jim - Beautiful picture! Too bad you had such a hard time dealing with all that beauty, you poor thing, you. Cry

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

I can't even imagine being this sick and not being home, let alone in another country.
          Let me tell you about my honeymoon sometime. Cry , Cry and Dead I headed out for a slow 4 miles at lunchtime but it was so Jersey-like outside, I channeled Joe and went for another mile. Total of 5 miles in just over 50:00. bty, your flooring guy
            Farm, If I had a view like that I'd never touch a treadmill again! Hey Joe, is that a picture of the Giants Super Bowl Parade route? speaking of parade routes, I just finally got outside today and did a six-miler, with part of it on the Patriots parade route, which of course they would use only if they win, which I'm still not saying will happen, so as not to jinx...superstitious? Not me... Great outside run today along the river, 38 degrees and no wind. Carol, those leaden-leg days are just a part of it, which makes you appreciate it more on the days you feel like you're flying.

jfa

Hey Joe, is that a picture of the Giants Super Bowl Parade route? touche' Black eye Wink

sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Hey y'all... I'm having a quandary, I seem to have caught a serious cold from my kids, and tonite is a short run (1.5 miles) but a nasty north wind has blown in. I'm feeling really blah and can't stop coughing. Soo..... Roll eyes Should I stay or should I go?
                SteveP

I don't usually go when I can not control a cough. Running does make later coughs productive.

SteveP

sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Well... I ran. Tongue Hopefully it won't make me any more sick... it felt good to move, brief though it was.
                    woodwoman

Well, as an occasional participant I check in here to find that you guys are full of news and travel! Leslie's been to Prague! r2farm is posting National Geographic quality photos, nj joe clearly doesn't work for the New Jersey Dept of Tourism Big grin and poor Carol's doggie! And I don't know about Albany, but here in Southern California it's almost impossible to get out of jury duty these days (don't ask me how to account for our sucky verdicts however!). I had a friend show up to court in Malibu in a bikini with just a fishnet "coverup" and the response was "nice try, lady, be here at 8am tomorrow" I've been busy following my Hal Higdon Spring training and I really like it. I needed the structure and I'm enjoying the runs. It's been raining here for a week solid and I'm probably the only one who enjoys it - there's a movie called "White Mischief" about rich British expats in Kenya between the wars and at one point Sarah Miles walks out onto her veranda and sighs "another &*%$# beautiful day". I so get that. Have a good week everyone! I really enjoy hearing about all of you! Angie

Queen of 3rd Place

bear - I read somewhere that a good general rule is, if you don't have a fever, it's ok to run. That seems to make some sort of sense, I don't know if there's anything scientific or anything to it. Leslie - how crummy to come home and get sick right away! Sending healing vibes your way. Joe - so, what's with the avatar? Do you also ice sail (or whatever it's called)? Yabba - parade route! - you crack me up!! Woodwoman - Glad to hear the spring training is working out for you. Remember those programs aren't cast in stone, you can always ramp it up or down depending on how you feel. Arla

Ex runner

BTY

Hi everyone. Albany seems to be the warm weather mecca of the US today. The thermometer along the Hudson River was showing 27F when I ran past at 12:40 this afternoon. and there was a wind, but the snow was falling down, not sideways, so it couldn't have been too bad. Wind chill couldn't have been below 0F. I wanted to run 4 miles today, and actually had the discipline to stop at 2 miles and turn around (for once). It was probably due to the fact that at what has been my "easy pace" this winter, I felt like I was working a bit just to maintain, and really did not want to go further, especially if that meant speeding up in order to get back to the office on time. Today's 4-miler brought January's mileage to about 75 miles running, which is not anything to write home about, but it's actually my highest mileage month since last March's 141, when I was still in Marathon training. I don't think I'll see 140 miles in a month again for a long, long time. Oh, yeah - my bad news, good news for today. The bad news - I weighed in at 196 today, which is my highest weight in about 2 years. Sad The good news - If I gain another 4 pounds I can enter the Binghamton St. Patrick's 4-miler as a Clydesdale. Cool The bad news - It's a championship race between NYS police officers and firefighters, so there are probably a BUNCH of guys over 200 pounds that can run faster than me in that race. Sad bty
                            Afternoon all, Another warm one here on the Space Coast. 80 degree day. Just did an easy 3 so as to keep things movin'. Love the pic r2farm.....so pretty. joe.....are you close by the jersey shore? If not, do you get over there during the summers? Leslie....hope your flu bug is on its way out soon. Nice hearing from you Angie! bty....hope your floor project is going well. My husband does great with just about anything thrown his way EXCEPT plumbing sorta tasks then it's plug your ears because he starts swearin' up a storm. Just replacing that little wax ring under the toilet a couple of weeks ago and I thought we were going to get a divorce. Not really, but man was he mad and frustrated. Hello to everyone and hope your runs are going well! Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              Hi Everyone - Just checking in. Still in quarantine. A friend brought us supplies. It was a "knock knock" and he was halfway down the driveway before I could get the door open. We feel like lepers. Blush Hopefully, this doesn't too horribly derail my training for my March trail run. SillyBear - Sorry to hear you're getting a bug, as well. Hopefully, it doesn't go much beyond the sniffles. Everyone else seems to be doing well. Nice picture, Joe. I may need to print that one and hang on my wall with my other fine works of art. Big grin Evening!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Morning Folks, Geez Leslie, sorry to hear that you and DH are so bad off.Good thing that you are young and strong Smile.I'm sure you will be up and about in no time.Your kitties must be happy with having you home,anyway. SB- way to go getting out there when you're not feeling up to it.We all have to suck it up sometimes. Angie-that's funny about jury duty.Didn't know that you lived so close to that area.Must be entertaining (and quite dangerous too(Fires,mudslides,etc). Yabba-funny about the parade.It's all in good fun as far as I'm concerned.Quite honestly,if the Pats were playing anyone else,I would root for them.I have alot of family up north and frankly,what's Not to like about the Pats? Confused Should be a heck of a game.No one is giving my G-men much of a shot to win so hey,we got them right where we want em... Bty- nice smart training that you're doing.Gradual increases and we'll get where we're going.Must be nice running along the Hudson up there.Do you have the high cliffs like West Pt and Bear Mt and such? Steve- I saw on the other thread that you're a BatDad?!Congratulations!! Smile Smile Arla- no I have yet to try ice sailing,but I sail alot of other stuff.Been sailing since I was a kid and have sailed everthing from windsurfers,sunfish's and 44ft Navy yawl on San Francisco Bay.I love it and can't get enough.My current fleet consists of a 26' motorboat(DW and DS don't share my love for going slow)and a 14' Sunfish sailboat..The iceboating is very popular around here.Of course,there has to be ice and there won't be this year.Last year they were out sailing for Jan and Feb and man do they move! Shocked 4 to 6 times faster than the wind speed because there is very little fricton touching the ice. Jewels- I share your DH's hatred of all things plumbing related.Grandfather and 2 uncles were plumbers,but I did not get that gene.Computers are much more simple and straight forward to fix.Roll eyes And yes,we are fortunate enough to live At the Jersey sore..three quarters of an acre on the Metedeconk River.It's 4 miles by boat to the ocean.I Thank the Big Runner in the Sky all the time that we have a small oasis in this crazy(and sometimes ugly) state. Well too much coffee Shocked and a lull at work and look at me ramble on. Take care folks