Masters Running

Sunday, 4.24.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good choice to sleep in yesterday, Stumpy.

Congrats on the AG hardware yesterday, Holly! Given that you are still tired from your marathon, it is probably just as well that the race was shorter than you thought, and that you went out easier than you might have - and you still placed in your AG, so you must have had a very fast finish! I hope you enjoyed golf and the movie.

Dave, I wonder if that tingling in your foot is either dehydration, or just that you had your laces too tight. Sorry, I have no idea what the upper back pain might be about. Maybe it's time to see a good chiro or sports massage therapist?

Tselbes, I hope your eye doc gives you permission to start racing again, since you've already done that. Congrats on keeping the streak alive and on the AG hardware!

Smart call, Tammy, to back off on one day and not risk an injury that could have sidelined you for quite a while. There will be other races.

Sorry about the headache, Mike. I hope it is gone by now, and that you got today's sermon done. I see that Ryan has your sense of humor...

Nice midnight 5er, Tet. Sorry to learn of the classmates who know they won't be there next year - that's hard.

Even though I missed the rain on my workout yesterday morning, we had 3 properties to visit on our conservation commission site walks and it started to rain when we left to go to the first one, and stopped when we got back from the 3rd. So it goes. I did a lot of weeding (yes, they are here already) yesterday afternoon, and it was tough getting up and down on very tired legs. Should'a left the weeding for another day.

We've got a racewalking training session this morning, and this will be our first time on the outdoor track this year. There is a 5K with a competitive walking division next weekend - nobody in our group does speed work on their own, so we may do some quick repeats this morning.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker

Hi kids,

Is everybody following Stumpy's lead from yesterday and sleeping in?

I'm back from our racewalking training session where we had Anita work on increasing her stride length (which will increase her speed), and the rest of us did either some temp laps or some speed work. I did mostly coaching, but also did a few laps with Stephan, and he made me work harder than I planned, but it was all good. So I did about 2 miles this morning. Then I went to Trader Joe's, and next we are going to look at a house or two for a BIL and his DW who is moving up this way from Virginia.

Time to get up!!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Took a mile plus walk in the Boston Arboretum to look at early lilacs while Marj continued her post marathon short runs.

Photo on FB.

Mike E

MM #5615

Just got back from Church, Jay.  Sounds like you had a good workout.  It looks like I'm going to have to break Twocat's no running in the rain rule if I'm going to get my workout in.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - busy morning for you!

Mike - maybe you should rethink that....

Henry - enjoy the spring flowers!

I waited this morning until it was about 48 degrees so I could head out in shorts and a short sleeved shirt.  My legs are coming back, but I still took some walk breaks.  Still, it got done, and I am back in the 40/40.

Afterward, I couldn't resist working some more in the garden patch, raking in a soil enhancer and then planting 15 purple potato plants. Over the next week, I hope to get the rest of my garden in - lettuce, spinach, kale, carrots, a couple of tomato plants and a couple of bell pepper plants.  I enlarged my garden patch a bit, but it is still reasonably small, maybe 15 x15, so it should be manageable.  Next week comes the fencing around it.

Now I am off to take DD shopping for summer clothes - this will be the most daunting battle of the day....

15.4 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

7 miles along the water and lagoon in Alameda.  So much sun, I am not used to it.  We are having a fantastic weekend here. I love SF!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E what Holly S. said! "No running in the rain!"© What do people have trouble understanding about that? 

Got back from a conference in Kentucky late last night. Just my luck. The weather was spectacular all week prior to the conference and is supposed to get nice again now that I am gone. Harumpf! Next week it is down to San Antonio for another conference. Nature better not pull this same stunt again! I am owed nice weather and dang nature has to deliver!  By the way, anyone here know of particularly good barbecue places in the San Antonio area?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After so much fun with a bunch of 72-yo's,

900 miles at a 8.2m/m pace for even more fun

with 6-yo GS.  yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Attempted running the WISC trails with Carol and Ralph at 0630. It was a beautiful 47F morning. As we were running, I could feel the pain in my fascist foot recruit my right knee. My right knee didn't have the stamina required of a fascist so it gave up being in pain. Butt. My right butt cheek is such a pushover. So the pain traveled up my right hamstring (usually Switzerland) and settled in the Reich Piriformis region.

I have emailed my PCP to request a script for physical therapy.

Hopefully, D-Day will be this week and freedom will prevail.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

evanflein

I love these descriptions of RCG's political battles her body goes through... BUT I wish she'd not have to deal with it at all and they would all just get along!

Twocat, I'm in San Antonio now, and cranked out an (almost) 20 mile run today. Got out a little late but it was still nice. Probably the coolest day they'll have for awhile, at least while we're here! I had my Garmin LiveTracking session going so DH always knew where I was, and he met me a few times with Nuun and water. Couldn't have done this run without him! I do wish I'd found the trail system sooner than I did. 6.5 miles of running on roads, sometimes busy with heavy traffic and sidewalks that suddenly ended and started up again in seemingly random spots. Found the Leon Creek Greenway trails after that and while they aren't trails in Wildchild's sense of the word (concrete paths), they were through some beautiful areas with trees, grass, flowers and the creek. It was really quite nice, and I finished up my run by going back and forth along that. Garmin died though at 18.18 miles, so I pulled out my phone to start the RunTastic app (since Running Ahead's RunForth app didn't seem to want to play), and finished the 1.4 miles to the car. Glad that's done! Temp was about 80° at the end according to the car.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Geeze--buehrle--you're a mess!  I hope you heal soon.

Sorry, Twocat--I ran 16 miles and about 11 of it was in the rain.  It was never really all that heavy...maybe once...but it wasn't too bad.  So...what happens, now?  Am I penalized in some way?  Am I to endure a stern scolding?  What happens?  I did say that I am sorry and I did fess up, right away.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

...howdy......

read the Mystery Reader to Claire's Class.......fun

just

finished a two day Continuing Education..........mot run

=========

the 2nd Graders were a hoot, so sweet and inquisitive

makes you wonder where all the screwed up people come from

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

So, I was the race director for a back to back race: Yesterday the Orchards in Bloom Half marathon and 10k, today was the 1 mile and 5k Hoofin and Woofin. Both events were fun for the participants, we delivered a top notch experience, but we  had so many last minutes issues that at one point yesterday I just wanted to start walking away from the whole event. Issues such as the chip timer not working is not what you want to hear 15 minutes from starting time. Thank goodness I had plan B and C. We redeamed the moment and all our participants were happy and had a great time.

My aim this week is to actually run more. Only 22 miles this past week. I am thankful that I was able to run, but I need my sanity running hours back. Ohh, I did run a 5k today and took first place in my age group.

Cheers.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Oh my gosh, Tet. I'm glad Jerry is OK.

Good luck with your Dr. visit TomS.

Tammy, you made a smart call in a tough situation.

It sounds adventurous, Erika.

Pre race sounds nerve wracking, Posia. I'm glad everyone had fun and you had a greta 5K.

saturday, the dog and I dragged DW to a new trail.

After church, Sunday, we went into the forest and took a leek.

Several of them.

I sauteed them with mushrooms. Added swiss cheese. Then stuffed the mix into chicken breast.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - that looks delicious!

Nancy - you are amazing!  Glad that you were able to get the issues resolved and pull off your races, and congratulations in 1st AG in your 5K!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."