Masters Running

P90x like workout with weights (Read 199 times)

The trainer name is Bill Stiff he was an olympic weight lifter in 1972 and would have been in 1980.  He weighed 380 at that time at 5' 8".  He went down to 185 in about 1984 and was runner-up Mr. America in body building.  His diet is a chemical diet, where only certain types of meat is allowed and no alcohol and no beef.  He does allow venison but only from time to time.  The key to his workouts is that none of them are the same, thus you create muscle confusion, which makes your body metabolize all the time.  I know when I first started running in early 2000's I got to certain weight and could not lose anymore weight, this is because my body had got used to the 20-30 miles a week I was running.  An example of 1 of my old workouts was my workout started out with 10 or 12 sets on the bench press. I did like 30 reps at 45 pounds, then did 25 reps at 65 and continued going up until I topped out at 1 rep at 225. I spent almost 1 hour doing just bench press!! Then you throw in curls, lats squats, deadlifts, and abs, you have almost a 2 hour workout.  My oldest son lost from 402 pounds down to 240 in 7 months on the diet and exercise.  Men are allowed about 2000 calories a day while women meal plan allows about 1600.  I have Tuesday weight  workout  in my training log if you would like to see.

Marathon Maniac #957

His diet is a chemical diet, where only certain types of meat is allowed and no alcohol and no beef. 

Oh dear...I think you lost me right there.....Joking

Good point about the mixing it up, though.  I hope to do more of that as the weather warms up.  My DH will be working lots of overtime, so he won't be there to make fun of me for doing double-workout days...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No alcohol?  No problem.  No red meat?  No way.

I've been eyeballing P90X for awhile, but haven't pulled the trigger.  I agree that you have to mix up your strength training program.  I usually do about every 6 wks.  I have a TRX, a Bowflex, free weights, a Swiss ball, BOSU, a step box, and bands, so it makes it easy.  The only addition I'd like to make is a pull up bar.  I'd have to either attach it to the wall when The Hub was gone or do a lot of fast talking to get him to agree to it.  I don't have a doorway to which I could put one of those removable ones.

I'm not necessarily looking to lose weight, but I'd sure like to firm up what I have (which may result in a weight loss, which wouldn't make me sad).  Right now I do strength training 2x a week.  Maybe I need to up it to 3.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

The nice thing is  you do not get bored with your workout because everyone is completely different.  The shortest workouts will 45 minutes of pretty intense lifting and long ones will be 2 hours.  Even though you are strength training you get a real good cardio workout as well. Heres my Tuesday night workout.

Exercises
           ExerciseSetsRepsWeightNotes

bench press

5 5 165.0 lb 45,85,125,145,165

incline db press

3 10 30.0 lb 10/20,20/15,30/10

curl and press

3     10/20.20/15,30/10

db tri ext

2     10/20,20/20

lat pulls

2     50/20,70/20