Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 9.29.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.2 miles)

Tramps (20 warm, blustery bike miles)

HopesMom (chorus rehearsal)

Rochrunner (4 cool and comfortable woodsy trail miles)

Holly (7 morning miles)

Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)

Tet (5 sunny morning, floating bridge miles)

Wildchild (10 chilly colorful neighborhood miles)

Spacityrunner (Freaky repeat of Tuesday's route, distance, pace, and time)

Twocat (6 easy, sticky morning miles)

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAYs to HopesMom and Rochrunner!!

Tomwhite, Pickles is gonna have to have a camera for when they get you and the crew in the operating room...

Gorgeous photo, Wildchild. Don't tell Ribs you had a raincoat tied around your waist!

You're a funny guy, Twocat!   Good for you and DW for going to Australia on your own for the marathon - great call, and I hope you both have a blast!

Last night's half marathon race committee meeting was only a little over an hour, but it was very productive, and we checked off a lot of boxes. But the best news is that I have no more meetings this week!

At 48°, the temp this morning was 25+ degrees cooler than yesterday, and it was much, much, much, much drier. So I wore a l/s shirt and went 6.2 RW miles, and had a little snap in my stride, unlike yesterday's slog. 'Like'

Have a greta Friday! I'm wishing fleet feet and big grins to RunnerKSA, Dave and anyone else racing this weekend.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks.  2.1 and now finishing packing.  Having my usual mental breakdown over racing.  It's ridiculous that I get this way.  It simply DOES NOT MATTER!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Masters!!  Chorus rehearsal last night was quite nice, and it's always a joy to have Happy Birthday sung to you in 4-part harmony by awesome singers!!  Tonight is quartet rehearsal, which will also be all kinds of fun.  And it's FINALLY the right weather to open the windows at night again!

One of those humongous spiders was lurking on my garage door yesterday, waiting to eat me.  I'd post a pic, but I'm a doofus. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and it's National Coffee Day, people.  Drink up!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

...Happy B'Day Hopes and roch///////

============

bumping 80

.....40-min RC with trailboots

..................good Running to ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Yeah, I have an excuse for another cup of coffee.

Forgot to post this morning. Exercises and another 20-minute 3:1 run-walk.

Stunningly beautiful autumn weather today.  Love it.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

five miles - down twenty degrees to the low sixties from yesterday’s 86o as, after three initial morning miles, the rising sun highlighted a rainbow over the hill that, sure enough, had enough precipitation with it to get a little rain for the last two miles and produce the first pedestrians (2) with umbrellas seen since before the three-and-a-half minute summer drought started on June 17. However, it barely got the pavements damp and with no wind, and with anything in the sixties being twenty degrees above what we usually run in in the rain for the coming six months, I’m not about to complain, . . . yet, . . . if ever.

KSA – hope any rain, if any, for your marathon is similarly warm and refreshing with no wind.  Either way, don't worry as everyone else is the same too so you should win your AG with ease.. Good luck.

TO: Prof. Dr. TwoCat

RE: Speech

We’re so sorry to miss your speech

and wish you a speedy recovery.

However, so happy you’ll be able to come

down anyway for the marathon, though.

Best wishes.

ps – please contact us at your earliest convenience

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

I've been practicing and getting ready for this day for the last 364 days and I successfully executed my participation in National Coffee Day!

Had a good XC meet yesterday and despite the heat of low 90's, most on our small but determined team achieved PR's.  And our boys team even came in 3rd of the 6 competing schools. The top 2 schools there have so many runners on their team that they do fill up an entire school bus. We have 10 boys. So, quite proud of them!  And our top runner can generally finish top 10. I'm so glad I really emphasized the importance of running hard All.The.Way.Through to the finish line and not just to where the finishing chute starts. The runner that was just 2 strides ahead of him as they began to enter into the chute, thought that was the end and stopped running. My kid ran through hard and ended up 6th overall.

No practice today, so guess I'll be running solo. Only a couple days left to get up to 80+ miles for the month. As I've been saying for 7+ months - "maybe next month will be the month I hit 100!".

Tammy

tetsujin209  very sweet. Ok, I will not say, "I told you so" in that case.

I was so upset with that stunning picture wildchild posted yesterday I had no choice but to counter with my own incredibly beautiful shots where I run. The first is at the start of a long hill I had to climb as part of my route today. The second, well that is the one the certainly rivals those aspens in the mountains! It is towards the end of my run. I bet there is nothing like it around where wildchild runs! Oh yea, 16 miles. The relive has it short by a bit because my Garmin conked out before I got home. I started and ended at the same spot.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g14559872217

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Happy Birthday to Hopesmom and Roch.

Last night we went to a dinner and they had a Paint nite. You sat by a canvas with a palette of acrylic watercolors and brushes. We were instructed how to paint step by step (almost paint by numbers). Most of the group followed directions precisely but, since I am challenged following directions, mine ended up as an impressionistic painting ( my first time using watercolors). It was awful but Iposted it on FBand it looks  better than in reality. But I think that's the end of,my artistic careeršŸ˜¢.

4 mile walk this beautiful early fall day.

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - good for you!

RunnerKSA - good luck, and when in doubt, pack a 99 cent rain poncho.  Tied in knots at my hips, one of these kept me relatively warm and dry at Portland, where it rained almost the entire race.

13.4 miles for me this morning in 48-58 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I stopped at the gym after work yesterday for ARC trainer and weights. Then I went back to the gym this morning for just a workout on the ARC trainer.  My slightly sore left calf feels 100%. I didn't think I had done much to it in the first place but any excuse to take it easy is fine with me.  I shouldn't feel anything during the 5k tomorrow.

There seems like there are so many of these little 5ks around here, it makes it easy to jump in them when the urge strikes. Tomorrow I'll be running in Huntington which is 7 miles west of me.  There is a Pumpkin Festival 5k on Milton which is 10 miles east of me. I know a couple folks running that one but it is on the weird course that goes back and forth across an open field and I wasn't interested in doing that again. And on Sunday there is a 5k at 2:00 PM in a park that is a mile from my house.

pfriese

Morning run

My morning run up & down Mt. Scott. I had to stop & rest a few times on the ascent. Here is a picture from the top. 5.9 miles total.

Paul

wildchild

Carolyn

Paul, I'm happy to hear that you're running again!  You too, Tramps!

Today I did a 13.4 mile trail run up and down Bergen Peak in Evergreen with two friends.  Here's a picture from the top, at about 9,700 ft. Yes, there's snow on the divide!  It was cool looking down on the fog in the valley!

Twocat, we don't have many overpasses here, but we also don't have any water or beach views like you do!  And we don't have nearly as much oxygen...

Good luck at the marathon, RunnerKSA!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Cool pictures.

Just a quick fly-by here for now, but I wanted to share with you the e-mail we got from the Steamtown RD today. He really is a nut, and these e-mail updates are pretty funny. This one was really goofy.

Greetings from suddenly chilly Scranton.

This week's update is about race day transportation and parking.

1) The buses to the start will depart from the corner of Wyoming Avenue and Spruce Street in Downtown Scranton (one block from the finish) between 5:30 a.m. and 6:45 a.m. As soon as we fill a bus, we send it on its way. The ride to the start will take approximately 45 minutes, plenty of time to make friends with strangers (or strange runners).

2) Type A and Type Z personalities, if you arrive in Downtown Scranton at 4:50 a.m. or 6:50 a.m., you will see a lot of things, but you won't see any buses.

3) The vast majority of the bus drivers have partial sight in at least one eye. Most know how to get to Forest City.

4) If you did not indicate on your entry form that you were going to ride a bus to the start, you still can. Just hop on board.

5) You do not need to show a bib number to ride a bus. If you show us your bib number, we'll just say, "Good for you."

6) Remember, clear bags only on the bus.

7) Non-registered runners, including friends, family, pets, robots, ex-husbands, etc... MUST NOTboard a bus. We will not provide return transportation to the finish. If a non-runner takes a bus to Forest City, they will be stranded in Forest City. Then, they will be Forest City's problem, not the marathon's.

8) You can park Downtown at any meter (free all day) that does not have a NO PARKING sign on it. This may sound obvious, but every year runners do this. Then they get towed. And they blame us. And we feel sad.

9) There are three parking garages near the finish where you can park for $5 for the day. Two are on Adams Avenue between Lackawanna Avenue and Spruce Street (by the Hilton). These are the easiest for getting in and out. The third is at the corner of N. Washington Avenue and Linden Street (enter from Linden Street). The elevator does not work in this garage. The hamsters are on strike.

10) Because Scranton is so suave and debonair, human beings do not work in our garages. No, we have those fancy automated pay stations. After the race, make sure you have cash or credit card and ticket in hand before you retrieve your car. Also, if you see a sign upon entering a garage that says, "Don't put ticket in mouth", don't worry, it's a Scranton thing.

11) I know you will be filled with all sorts of pre-race anxiety when you arrive in Downtown Scranton in the darkness of race morning, but for Pete's sake, remember where you park! If you approach a volunteer after the finish and say, "I parked by a building with doors and windows that was by a curb," they probably won't be able to help you find your car.

12) You can have someone drop you off at the start (remember, clear bags only). If they plan to drop you off and then leave right away to go to Viewpoint # 1 (or to church or a bar), they can use the same roads they took to get there. However, if they choose to stay to watch the start, they will need to take the dreaded escape route out of Forest City.

13) If the person dropping you off gets lost driving home from work three days a week, they probably can't handle the escape route. We'll find their bones in the woods next March, unless the bears beat us to it.

14) DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT drive yourself to the start and leave your car there! We DO NOT provide return transportation to the starting line after the race.

15) Upon arrival at the start, you will be greeted by enthusiastic Forest City High School students who will present you with a gift, probably either a whole chicken (skinned) or a bag of fruits and vegetables. Or maybe it's a purple ribbon. I might be getting my events mixed up.

16) A very loud cannon will start the race. It will make a tremendous BOOM, unless it pfffts like that one year. If you are wispy, the concussion might knock you over. If you are stout, the concussion might bounce off of you and knock over a wispy runner.

OK, that's the final Friday pre-race e-mail. We'll e-mail you a few more odds and ends (mostly odds) before next Sunday. Good luck with your taper.