Masters Running

Tue April Fools (Read 662 times)

evanflein

dromalena (evan/posie) - jitsu wa, joudan desu since I only run on weekends but i couldn't contain my joy when I saw that it's April and in twenty days getting to Wenatchee with butterfly posie and ultra-arf/divechief (with a italiano donna bellissima training run along the way) Smile
    I'm guessin' Tet did 20 miles today... but wouldn't bet money on it... Confused Thanks CNYrunner, I'm hoping it works out that way. Glad to hear you're on the mend, Steve... sending something your way email. Took DS1 to the dentist today...didn't want to come back to work! It's 51 out there and slush and slop everywhere, but it's wonderful!! Thinking of a run in shorts tonight... but it might cool down a bit too much for that, we'll see! And it'll be a fun, EZ or whatever the legs feel like doin' sort of run! My favorite....
    dg.

Holly, I'm sorry about the house. All the time & energy you've already put it! Maybe the timing shift will take a little pressure off you for the next couple of weeks. ? I hope so. Perch. you got me too. Sue, chili congrats! Scary about the floor, though. Is Connecticut home yet? Hi Tramps! Hi Susan! Bob, how's your ankle tendon? smores. Roll eyes (we need a shaking head smiley). did the needles & the ultrasound help? I just can't believe this happened on top of your other injury. and you're working so hard. Thank you so much for you ongoing encouragement. 2 esp. good pieces of advice lately.. one was to not worry about catching up on all the old threads.. you're right. still want to, but at least I worry less. Wink. wanna go to Oz with me so they can change our stuffing? fun thread but I can't keep up!! Hi Lamerunner! this morning I did a walk run treadmill thing, first time in 2 weeks. 1.8 miles with just the teeniest hamstring twinge. Incorporating some wonderful advice from a lot of you, some directed to me, some not, I a) stopped when I realized it was hurting. & b) was ultimately able to honestly be happy with it. being happy with what we can do at any moment... not only is a lot more fun, but might help keep some of us that are so inclined from pushing more than we should & breaking something else. thanks for all the wisdom that's shared. even though most of the time it's not something new, sometimes hearing something at the right time makes all the difference. eta. Erika, more congrats for DS! good news about your renters. Stevep, get better.

Marathon Maniac #957

this morning I did a walk run treadmill thing, first time in 2 weeks. 1.8 miles with just the teeniest hamstring twinge. Incorporating some wonderful advice from a lot of you, some directed to me, some not, I a) stopped when I realized it was hurting. & b) was ultimately able to honestly be happy with it. being happy with what we can do at any moment...
        Smile Smile Smile Oh, Debbie, I am SO pulling for you to recover and be able to run some gentle runs in the blossoming spring, whenever it actually gets here (and there).....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

btb1490

After a very stormy day here today, mother nature treated us to this at the end of the day. Enjoy! Good things often await you at the end if you can just ride out the storm. Have a great evening everyone. Smile

King of PhotoShop

End of day comments, no running stuff here: CNY, you really get it. Saw your reply in the hill thread. Posture, vision, nice post. Hallliar, when you give a lot of yourself to coach, do what you have your heart in. You did your share, and I bet you will give more when asked but it won't hurt to say, "I'll do it, but I want the XC job!" Mari, you always say the kindest things to me, thanks. From time to time people will mention others they miss, Thunderbolter, Dark Horse and others. How many of you recall Rip Van Racer? I respected his work ethic a lot. Poor guy was hurt and ran like a maniac on that TM. Put the rest of us to shame, and never once complained! Batman, you have my email. Drop me a line will you? Time for us to revisit stuff. You know I am thinking of you. Oh Tammy, stop! You know you are a knockout. Dump Tet and I am right there, no questions asked. BTB, after I get over this injury, and the next time I get hurt, I will remember how upbeat and generous to others you have been. Oh, and while I am on April Fool's stories, as I got appointed to do this complicated research (which involved clicking on Google) here is the number one April Fool hoax of all time: In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best." Okay, back to running: Here is a paraphrase of a quote from Ron Daws, that I thought some of you on the DL would find amusing: "Runners are in only one of three different states: injured, recovering from an injury, or thinking about what injury they would like to have next." I hope all of you will remember this as you contemplate the next workout: why am I doing this run? Spareribs
            dg.

thanks, Holly! Smile btb, ahhhhh. SR, do I have to pick just one?
                beautiful photos, btb - where are you located? late afternoon run with DH and pelle (both of whom walk while i put i my miles). DH had a brilliant idea - he thought the fields looked mostly melted so we went "cross country" - which means across the snow, mud, etc. and somehow it was all uphill. we'll do the reverse (hopefully when the snow is melted the rest of the way) another time, and it will be mostly downhill... if that makes any sense. so... 3.25 miles of hill and dale and mud and snow and a bit of plain old county road, sunny, crisp, and clear. mountains still snow-covered... spring? what's that? susan
                  Another day off for me while my calf heals up. Holly sorry the deal on your house fell through. But, it sounds like the buyers were looking for an excuse to get out of it. If things did not collapse now they might have later on and that would have been more problematic. As you pointed out the selling season is just getting started and given how quickly you got your first offer I am sure you will have another in no time. perchcreek when doing a MP training run it is important that you not stop at just 26 miles. Those last .2 miles are really important! hopeful4ever you are smarter than I am. (On the other hand I am not sure that I am smarter than a fifth grader so perhaps the bar is not that high. Wink) Staying injury free is worth every second that you have to take off! SueT48 as a chili fan I too want the recipe! btb1490 you have to get better! As you can see the whole board is pulling for you. Aamos you ran without a Garmin?! How! I would simply melt into a pile of blubber if I tried that now! dg. keep getting better. Smart move taking it easy on the TM. Spareribs I HAVE to remember that joke! I at least have to remember it until Friday when I can tell it to my running friends! Nice speedwork sessions CNYrunner,

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PJH

JJJ - I long for your "beautiful spring day". Here we had 90 km/h wind gusts and my run tonight was with cold winds of 54 km/h. Not complainin', just sayin'. A good workout tonight, despite the poor weather. Total 12.0 miles in about 1:48. W/U -- 3.1 mi ...29:42 ... 9:45 pace ... 143 hr MP-15 sec -- 6.0 mi ...50:01 ...8:20 pace ... 154 hr C/D -- 2.9 mi ...28:44 ...9:48 pace ... 141 hr Found out yesterday that a former business client passed away from a brain tumour last week at the age of 50. He was a very humorous and quite brilliant guy ... he'll be missed. Last year about this time, another colleague of mine died of a similar brain tumour. He was the owner of our company and got me into this consulting business 20 years ago. He was the same age as me and again a very witty and intelligent man, the kind of guy who's team you wanted to be on. I was lucky with a pituitary tumour 5 years ago as it was benign. It had to be removed and everything's been fine since. It was right after this that I got involved in running. I enjoy the gift every day. Have a great evening everyone! PJ
                      <sigh> First nono uses the words "barefoot," "run," and "beach" in the same sentence and then Bob posts those be-u-tiful pics. And now I'm physically aching to get to the beach. I think it's a sign that I need to zip down there after my rehearsal in NJ on Saturday. Skipped the gym in order to exercise my brain and spirit a little between school/work and class. There's a Barnes and Noble near my school with super comfy chairs in a spot that gets glorious sun in the afternoon, so I lazed there and did some reading for about 90 minutes. Does that count as cross-training? Confused Eliz</sigh>

flomotioncoaching.com

Mariposai

Mari, you always say the kindest things to me, thanks.
                        well...what can I do...I am still waiting for my eggplant parm dish in the mail Confused Blush

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

hurry up and recover spartly, she's even nicer to run with . . . <>wenatchee/wenatchee)>>>
                          I'm guessin' Tet did 20 miles today... but wouldn't bet money on it... Confused
                          ps - evan save your money for sure as my last midweek run was in October 2006 when mariposai was in town and, since last week's planned 20 mile run fizzled at 16 miles, my only two twenty milers were in May 2006. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

great posts today (well yesterday technically) i hit the road for 7.6 miles - didn't plan it so well and had a fierce headwind the last 2 miles and the rain started!! but felt good aside from a little achiness in the quads...........now i'm working an extra shfit - just 11p-7a ..........DS3# turns 18 today!! YIKES!!

denise

evanflein

ps - evan save your money for sure as my last midweek run was in October 2006 when mariposai was in town and, since last week's planned 20 mile run fizzled at 16 miles, my only two twenty milers were in May 2006. Smile
                              Tet, I'm sure glad Peter can translate your stuff for me... here's his interpretation of your post: "Seattle, sunny, no not sunny, 65f, ha Seattle not, 47 F, "ezpz", does he ever do anything ezpz? 20 (what), doesnt't that seem too short to even mention... xt- holy carp, that could only mean naptime, that's the only crosstraining grandpa does. So I will translate: Cold shower, 20 minutes, no sweat, with a light on, then took a crap while reading the paper!" suddenly, it all makes sense...! For the warmest day so far this year... I ran on the TM. After work was a "take kid to soccer/pick up kid from soccer" night. I ended up sitting around waiting for DS2 to show up... then he calls me and says they were running late so didn't even go. Grrr! So drove home and decided I didn't want to deal with the mud, slush and rotten snow driveway anymore... Cranked out a little progressive TM run, first 2 miles @8:49, next 2 @8:34, next 2 @8:20, last .25 mile @ 7:30 just cuz I was cranky and wanted to.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

once an alaskan, always an alaskan. Big grin best wishes - and thanks - to Peter.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)