Masters Running

40s On the Run - It's Summertime! (Wk of 06/22/08) (Read 475 times)

Back up about 14 months ago and my lovely dd introduces me to this kid. Didn't like the looks of his physical appearance and when he opened his mouth that was even worse. O.K. so it's just a friend, right? This is harmless. She's finishing up her sophmore year and he's finishing up his Sr. year. They hang out more and more and more until she finally admitted they were bf and gf. O.K., I can handle this. Don't really like the kid but....just keep an eye on things. Last summer I found out the high school wouldn't let him graduate because he didn't have enough credits. O.K., I can handle this. Maybe he should just go get his GED and get it together. Well.....here's where it gets worse. Come to find out he was already 2 years behind in 12th grade which makes him 20 and she's 16! I'm friggin' livid at this point. So this was last summer. No matter what me and Kenny said, she was going to see him regardless so.....after many "talks" with him and her I just kept an extra ear/eye out on the relationship hoping it wouldn't "last" long. Well....here we are a year later! Yep, they're still a "pair". She's 17 and he's 21. He doesn't come over here because Kenny and I can't stand him. He's a punk, he has no job, he has no car. I tried talking to his parents and they just wouldn't have any part of the discussion. Worthless! She started skipping school, her grades dropped bigtime and she had an attitude of all attitudes. The past 6 months or so she has rebounded with her grades and is back on the honor roll and has been at her job for over a year now. Our relationship is MUCH better! Him, NOTHING! Still no job, no car, sleeps all freaking day. They have been arguing like crazy the past couple of months and i think she is finally starting to "get it". She came home last night crying her eyes out! She's very stubborn, independent and is a real spit fire, I'm always right kinda girl. So when she spilled her guts to me about the way he treats her just made me sick. No, not physical but.....other things. Neve tells her she looks nice, never takes her anywhere. (How can he, no money, no car, no class, no education) Apparently last night over at his house she was looking for a wisk in the dishwasher to stir some gravy and couldn't find it, he opened up the dishwasher and found it right away and threw it across the table and made some lame remark to her that must have really touched a nerve. Her reaction......she picked up the wisk and winged it at him and cold cocked him right in the forehead, grabbed her keys and came home telling me she can't stand being with him anymore and that she deserves to be treated better and that she wants to break up with him. The whole time were talking he's trying to call her and apologize like he does all the time and play the "pity me" game with her. She's working with dad today at the shop and then going to the races tonight with him so......she's trying to stay busy. Whew! Talk about airing out the dirty laundry....... To my daughter, if you read this, I LOVE YOU and you deserve better. You need to raise your standards! Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      In situations like this, I do not miss being a parent. Hang in there, Jewels. It sounds like she's finally coming around. My niece was in a situation very similar to your daughter's. It took her a few years, but she finally wised up, and when she could afford to (she's 27 now), she moved 3 states away and is now engaged to a really nice young man. As you know, the more a parent says, "That's bad for you," the more the child wants to find out why. We all did it. But in the end, we also came to realize that (surprise of all surprises!) our parents really did know what they were talking about. Teen years are so stinking hard. Wouldn't go back there for anything. Just keep reinforcing that you love her and that she deserves better.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Just keep reinforcing that you love her and that she deserves better.
        Great advice Leslie and my heart goes out to you Jewels. Just gotta hope that you put enough good sense into her so she can see things for herself. Sounds to me like you have . Hang in there and you guys will weather this storm..... Roll eyes

My buddy, Karen, just called and said the Western States has been canceled due to the fires and poor air quality conditions. It's not verified on their web site at 8:30 PST, but I believe she got the news from her sister, Kate, who paced there last year. First time in its 35-year history that it won't be ran. Fees - nonrefundable. Hundreds of people are going to be very disappointed, but so much better safe than sorry. MTA: It's officially canceled. Sad

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - bummer about Western States Sad It's been super-smoky around here, even though the fires arent' all that close. Here's a picture from space of the fires: http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/individual.php?db_date=2008-06-25 Jewels - you have the patience of a saint! You've let her learn on her own, surely the best way to go... r2 - I hope the rest of your week is a little less crazy! I started teaching summer school this week, I've never done summer school and the odd thing is that I'm feeling it in my legs! Confused It's a bit more standing than I'm used to, but still...oh well, more time on the feet is a good thing, right? Tongue Arla

Ex runner

Arla - Summer school Dead. Had to do that when I attended JC. Got to graduation time and they said, "Oh, you're short a math class." What?!? Shocked Not only did I panic 'cause I thought I'd have to come back for another semester for one class, but it was math and I suck at math. Ended up having the best teacher who took pity on me and held my hand through the entire 6 weeks. I wish I could remember his name, 'cause he was just a wonderful human being. And yes, I passed . . . barely. Blush We have fires south and east of us, but nothing is blowing our way yet. Keeping fingers crossed for this weekend - more lightening anticipated, and next weekend - stupid people with fireworks. FYI - Under "Administrative Announcements," keep in mind that Eric is transferring RA to a new server soon and it will be down for an indefinite period (but not long). If anyone is in the financial position to make a donation, he could definitely use it. An hour of strength/core/PT this a.m. Can you see my muscles yet?? Tongue I have my first casualty of ultra trail running. I'm losing the nail off one my toes. I figure it'll come completely off right about the time we have our next run (figures). But it's like a loose tooth. I couldn't quit picking at it last night. Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Pregnancy, Estrogen, and Women PREGNANCY Q & A & more! Q: Should I have a baby after 35? A: No, 35 children is enough. Q : I'm two months pregnant now. When will my baby move? A: With any luck, right after he finishes college. Q : What is the most reliable method to determine a baby's sex? A: Childbirth. Q: My wife is five months pregnant and so moody that sometimes she's borderline irrational. A: So what's your question? Q : My childbirth instructor says it's not pain I'll feel during labor, but pressure. Is she right? A: Yes, in the same way that a tornado might be called an air current. Q: When is the best time to get an epidural? A: Right after you find out you're pregnant. Q : Is there any reason I have to be in the delivery room while my wife is in labor? A: Not unless the word "alimony" means anything to you. Q: Is there anything I should avoid while recovering from childbirth? A: Yes, pregnancy. Q : Do I have to have a baby shower? A: Not if you change the baby's diaper very quickly. Q : Our baby was born last week. When will my wife begin to feel and act normal again? A: When the kids are in college. "ESTROGEN ISSUES" 10 WAYS TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE "ESTROGEN ISSUES" 1. Everyone around you has an attitude problem. 2. You're adding chocolate chips to your cheese omelet. 3. The dryer has shrunk every last pair of your jeans. 4. Your husband is suddenly agreeing to everything you say. 5. You 're using your cellular phone to dial up every bumper sticker that says: "How's my driving-call 1- 800-". 6. Everyone's head looks like an invitation to batting practice. 7. Everyone seems to have just landed here from "outer space." 9. You're sure that everyone is scheming to drive you crazy. 10. The ibuprofen bottle is empty and you bought it yesterday. TOP TEN THINGS ONLY WOMEN UNDERSTAND 10. Cats' facial expressions. 9. The need for the same style of shoes in different colors. 8. Why bean sprouts aren't just weeds. 7.. Fat clothes. 6. Taking a car trip without trying to beat your best time. 5. The difference between beige, ecru, cream, off-white, and eggshell. 4. Cutting your hair to make it grow. 3. Eyelash curlers. 2. The inaccuracy of every bathroom scale ever made. (I couldn't resist!) Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Love the post Leslie, certainly can relate to alot of em! Western States cancelled! Not that I know much about it but I know it is a very popular and very hard endurance run that is not only hard to do but hard to get into. Such a disappointment but understandable. Hope the fires get under control soon. Bad stuff there. Arla, hope your summer school teaching continues to go well. Yep, standing up moving around is MUCH better then sitting all day long. Hope you are still able to get your runs in between the teaching and all. My classes are going pretty good, mostly younger kids in them but I am enjoying the experience. Have a great evening all.....Jewels
                    5.3 miles thru the Amazon jungle this morning! 72 degrees with 94% humidity. The humidity is always high in the early a.m. Within a couple of hours it drops dramatically. But......I gotta get it done when I can! TGIF everyone.......Jewels
                      Happy Friday, Everyone! Jewels- I read your humidity percentages and have to go take a puff off my inhaler. Wink 1.5 hour long run this a.m. Kept it a nice slow steady pace, got in 8.02 miles, and rarely had my HR monitor beep at me unless I going up hill. I was treated to another beautiful morning, too. Contemplated running through town 'cause there's more hill work, but I love the solitude of Elk River Road. Still can't get the cows to come up to the fence to let me pet them. The toenail came off! I was looking at it last night and realized the only thing it was attached to was the loose skin from my blister. Wasn't attached to any part of the nail bed. Liftted if off like a lid off a bowl, and underneath was a new little nail already! Big grin Looks weird, but then my toes weren't exactly a thing of beauty to begin with. This definitely isn't going to help. Blush

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Kids - TGIF- Leslie- congrats on the toenail.That is a weird thing isn't it? I have yet to lose one from running but some of my "carpentry" attempts have resulted in lost fingernails .Ouch Shocked Jewels- Fla weather up here for us now. About 90* and 95% humidity .Kinda like living in a bowl of soup. Got my run in at 6am this morning and very happy I did. Don't tell Buddy though, I had to ditch him because of the heat! Jim- hope your week has not been ALL Mondays ! I laugh at your ability to motor through your problems.I know all about life's adversities (we all do) but I can just substtute your farm equipment breaking with computer parts and it's all the same.Right on the border of laughing and cursing! Arla- Hope those fires steer clear of you. Still mucking up the air around you? Between that and the heat out there,you're a real trooper for getting out to run. Sunday's long run should bring me around 170m for the month ,breaking my previous mark of 164. Been having some fun out there but this heat has been brutal!! Good Weekend to All !!!

flatland mountaineer

4.0 with 3-2-1 pole speedwork, felt pretty good. Maybe do 2 tommorow then, maybe 7-8 mi LR Sunday or flip the days and maybe an easy run wednesday and race on Friday the 4th. yes TGIF for sure, the week did not get any better in fact if got a little worse. Our internet is down also, doing this with a cell phone patch, so more later. We are thinking about all of ya!! Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you need one of these t-shirts: http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/got-toenails-ash-grey-tshirt/89992848 Joe and Jewels - you can keep your humidity. Dead At least my sweat/sponging does me some good here, even when it's triple-digit-time. The fires aren't too close, but yeah we have an air advisory, people are being advised not to excert themselves outside, but I have no lung issues so I've been getting out there anyway. It's MUCH clearer here than up in the northern reaches of CAs central valley - up there, they're even having low visibility. Ugh.. Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey Kids! Hope everyone's having a great week! staying a bit busy here..no one particular thing...just keep adding stuff to the schedule Confused...like this: http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html...I've completed week 1/level 1....the TNT girls (a couple of them anyway) want to do "Boot Camp" twice a week @ 6am over the next 6-8 wks....Just got an "evite" from one of them for another HM in 6 wks....the other half of the one I'm doing in the morning! Apparently 24 of 82 of us are already signed up for that one now....Doug & I still don't have the shed & fence done yet & we got given the wall blocks to repair a 20' section of retaining wall....still have tree limbs & debris to clear from this yard....need to water seal the house & tidy the land up @ the mtn house (oldest son should do that, but I'd bet the bank he won't!)& help the kids w/some windows & tile over @ their condo.... For those of you enduring extreme heat & humidity, I stopped by a high, fast running mtn river for ya! Smile 4.24 run/walk miles w/Mairead trying out her new coolie vest this am....I think it seems to work fairly well Joe....she's still a rather large girl to cover much of her back w/it so I'll still have to use common sense as far as warmer days but her only stress seemed to be "weirded out over something strange on her back" Tongue {{{{Jewels}}}} hang in there girl! all my kids are grown (sorta) & about all I can say to that, is that it seems like most need to go through that - or at least, one per group...none of my kids are hooked up w/what we would've hoped for them (long story) but I guess part of growing up is that we as parents are learning to let them live w/their decisions...very hard thing to do! & just be there for them....hug them....love them... must get back to shed stuff....& get to bed early-ish.... Have a Great Weekend Everybody!! Cindy
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Cindy good luck on the Half tommrow, is Doug doing that also? Jewels way to "Bungle in the Jungle" in that humidity. Hope your daughters rough patch is short lived. Leslie, I think you should flaunt your new partial toenail, paint it up as a badge of trail running courage!! Oh that and that Tshirt Smile Joe congrats on the new monthly mileage PR!! Arla I can imagine standing at the front of a classroom is much tougher on the legs than running. When I go stand at winter farm auctions I come home more tired than if I was doing physical labor all day. have a great weekend fab fit 40's Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III