Masters Running

Wednesday, June 4th Daily (Read 405 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning gang Smile Hot and humid seems to be the theme for a lot of folk...suppose to be in the 90's here starting tomorrow, and lasting through the weekend and next week. I actually try not to be too bothered by hot weather because I hate winter, but it does make running more difficult. Boy, bad storms around my neck of the woods last night and today. I just beat the storms last night on my 7 mile easy run...just barely. And like Vista said, I was super sweaty a few minutes after starting to run....but was a good one. I have a WWYD question: this may seem kind of silly, but just an observation I had last night after my run. As I was walking around the duck pond were I live, I noticed two ducks who seemed to be fighting. I didn't think too much about it till the one duck bit the other duck in the neck and took it down to the ground...with the other duck resisting. Then it dawned on me....this male duck was trying to breed with the female. As brutal as this seemed to me, it was almost like I was watching a duck get molested or raped....if we compare it to the human race. I watched for a few, then shewed the male duck away....he was not happy, but she sure scooted away real fast. Well, the male duck chased her down again and bit down on her neck and threw her down again, and proceeded where he left off. I then said "hey dude duck...a little wine and romance goes a long way with the duck'ettes" he wasn't impressed Roll eyes I know we have a lot of good hearted and sensitive guys here, which I consider me one, but this really bugged me but realized nature just had to take it's course. I consider this story serious / light hearted but just wonder what other would think and react in the same situation. Wow, rambling this morning... Have a great "hump" day all.....and not the kind of "hump" the duckies were having Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

8 rain soaked miles today at an 8:29 pace...My DW hates when I bite her neck...
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      pfriese

G'morning, Another windy morning here. A sunrise 3 miler before the heat sets in for the day. Paul

King of PhotoShop

I would guess it isn't good practice to mess with the animal kingdom, unless they were domesticated pets; that's my two cents. Dave, be patient with the PT. If the back is sore, then strengthening the core often helps. You may be pleasantly surprised. After yesterday's day off, I did a fairly slow 6.2 this morning. I never have any energy after a day off so it didn't surprise me. Tomorrow I will be out of town and I bet I have a good run then. Spareribs
            The Jogger (AKA Roy), it's going to take a bit to get used to your new name. wildchild, congrats on the new job. I hope it exceeds your expectations. vista, it is frustrating that they are adopting a wait and see attitude with your brother rather than taking action. I'm sure you're doing him a lot of good with your support. Dave, good luck with the PT. Nice long runs for Peter, Twocat, Holly, The Jogger, enke (in the rain and loving it), henrun, and perch (hot, humid, hills). Good job on the speedwork for BC. This morning, it was about 60 with a light wind. It was overcast and threatening rain but I stayed dry. I did 8 miles in a bit over 1:17 for a 9:38 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
            Henrun

Marj changed her day off from Monday to Wednesday in hopes of doing more midweek cycling with various groups in our area. Naturally, this was the only rainy day of the week. So, she headed out for a "short run" instead. I started shortly afterwards and we met on the way. Of course, the drizzle soon turned to rain. Somehow I manage to speed up when it's a downpour and did a tempo run of 6 miles. Marj finished with 7. A good way to greet a rainy day.
              evanflein

We had thunder and some lightening last night, but the boys' soccer games went on as scheduled. Light rain most of the night, which we really needed. Looks like sprinkles and clearing today. Nothing like the weather some of you are having. Holly, whenever we travel to the midwest in the summer, DH is always hoping for a good long electrical storm. He just loves them. We get some loud boomers here in June afternoons, but nothing like "down south." Our kids never seemed to care but it sure freaks out the dog. Tim, not pretty but leave it alone. Vista, when the time comes to talk, you'll have it. I'm sure of it. This is my Friday, in a way.... Off tomorrow and Friday for Soccer tournament in Anchorage. Not sure if I'll take the computer or not... staying at BIL's house and might get on there. I'll try to get in a nice run tonight, shouldn't be hard cuz no soccer, no fund raising events, no work stuff... a true night off!
                  Lots of rain in the forcast this week, and not particularily warm. Since I've started to hate the treadmill, I wonder if I should give up my gym membership. But the fear of getting injured and having no easy cross-training options available keeps me from doing it. Tim - your story reminded me of two cats we once had. Our neutered(!) male got ontop of the female, was biting her neck and pushing her down with his hind legs. My naive husband said "what weird behaviour, what is that thing he is doing with his feet??". My less naive friends had to tell him, and so from then on, the saying "let's do that thing with the feet" has become a euphemism for something else. Rest day today. All have good runs! I love a good thunderstorm, but we don't get many in the PNW.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

......vista//.......that is quite unsettling news.........just encourage him as much as you can, if it turns out to be BELOW the knee, that is actually GOOD ( a Relative term here) for Re-Hab, MUCH easier to walk again when you got the knee..... my Dad doesn't have the knee, but it just takes Heart, something I'm sure your brother has (judging by HIS brother) you're in our prayers.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi Gang, A firefighter friend e-mailed me this link. Being a firefighter and former HS basketball coach, this story really got to me. I thought of Vista and others who coach and are involved with youth and sports. Check this out when you have a chance...amazing. Happy running Fran http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3421852

I Can Go The Distance

Good Wednesday Everyone, Vista: I can't add anything more to what others have said. Just know that you and your brother are in my prayers. Carolyn: Great news about the job! Hope all goes well for you. I did an easy 7 miles this morning in 1:10:00 exactly on 10 min/mi pace. Dromedary: I signed up for Lomita today, so I am ready to go. I will email you soon as to where and when we will meet on race day. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

wildchild

Carolyn

Just a quick peek in to say, "hi!" The new job seems OK so far - just spent the morning filling out paperwork, and I'm spending the afternoon reading up on one of the projects I'll be working on, to come up to speed. I have an office with a window, but not a great view. I just see the building next door, but there are some bushes and trees between the buildings (they're one story tall) and I can see the sky, so at least I'll know if it's light or dark, sunny or cloudy. Right now it looks like a storm is brewing. It's supposed to snow at my house tonight! Oh, and no showers at the office. Sad And apparently no dirt running trails nearby. Just concrete. Sad I'll have to make do somehow. I want to thank all of you for the good wishes and congratulations since I got this new job. You've all been so supportive since I got laid off, and I really appreciate it! Your support and friendship mean so much. Thank you!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hi Gang, A firefighter friend e-mailed me this link. Being a firefighter and former HS basketball coach, this story really got to me. I thought of Vista and others who coach and are involved with youth and sports. Check this out when you have a chance...amazing. Happy running Fran http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3421852
                            Wowzers......that is an incredible story. I remembered the fire happening and now we know...."the REST of the story". Not only is the story incredible, but they presented it well too. Thanks for sharing it. Joey
                            Vista
                              Feeling like a slacker for not running at the moment. I took off yesterday because I was wiped out. Got home fairly early today, but . . . . not only is it in the high 70s with what feels like 100% humidity, there have been two tornado touch-downs about 100 miles from here, and weather map shows that system headed this way. Oh, yeah, and we have a tornado warning in effect until 8:00 p.m. I'm not even going to ask for advice about how to run in a tornado! Smile Wild - congrats on the job. Think I'll pack for the camping adventure and decide in a few hours whether the weather's safe enough to run or to do some sort of exercise indoors instead. Won't be around until Friday evening, so good rest of the week and happy weekend, all, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Mariposai

Back to town after a 5 days get-away to the "Big City". The highlight of my trip was eating at my favorite Brazilian Restaurant accompanied by three boomer friends from thea area. Soundie, be sorely missed you. Enkie, it was so great to have a chance to spend time with you. You are one terrific marathoner and an awesome lady. Dave and Tet, thanks for being an examplary company to two goddess. I am looking forward to going out for a run this afternoon. The weather is perfect for a long run. I wish I had the time to fit in a long run, but I know I can't. This is going to be a low mileage week for me since I am busy helping our son to get ready for his Japan trip. Great to hear that wildchild is happy in her new job!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard