Masters Running

Tuesday, August 10 Daily ..... (Read 429 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happiness is watching your 93 year old mom play with two kittens and giggle as if she were a child again ..... and she isn't even a big animal lover!   

Out for 5 warm, humid and very froggy miles with Brinkley this morning.   10:13 avg. pace   We only had one fartlek as Brinkley thought he better go after that reflective cone on the side of the street.    

I think Carolyn might be needing a few extra hugs as she becomes an empty nester.  {{{{Wildchild}}}

OM - I was feeling like that yesterday too.   I think it has something to do with Monday's.

Have a good one!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yes, that is happiness Mary!

Happiness is also getting caught in the rain while running with friends.  6 easy, refreshingly wet miles at 9:20 pace - the last 4 miles at sub 9.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I know it's silly reporting H&H right after Byll, but last night's T-storm only traumatized Max the dog and didn't bring cooler temps and lower humidity as usual.  would have been nice to run in the rain.

So, 2,4 miles as a shakedown for Thursday's 5K.  Much better than Sunday's disaster, but not quite up to the nice tempo of last Tuesday.  As some one famous around here said "it is what it is".  Dialed back expectations and we'll see what happens.

Kittens will do that to you

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice runs this morning, Mary and Bill.

Mine was a ten miler on the steamy streets of Bloomfield, Connecticut.  I was wearing a pair of sweat shorts that lost their string waist-tie a couple years ago.  As the shorts became sweat-soaked, they started slipping down.  So there I am, hitching the shorts up every few-hundred meters or so, as the Bloomfield commuters sip their coffee and stare.  I must have looked like a rapper wannabe with my striped hanes showing from the back.  Or maybe they thought I was an escapee, dressed in my prison-gray shorts and tank top - making a run for it.  It was an interesting run.

When I got back to the gym, I cranked up the sauna and kept the sweat flowing for another 15 minutes.  I'm really starting to like the sauna experience - very relaxing.

Hope everyone's day starts as god as mine did.

Renee the dog

PBJ, I used to live on Bloomfield Ave.

Rest day for me until yoga tonight! 

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Dave59

2 mile walk after work last night.

3 mile walk this morning with the last 3 tenths of a mile jogging.  Seemed to go ok.

Now that I have completed the official 38 day "20k to couch potato" program, it's time to get back in shape.

Slo

I laced up my new kicks, stepped outside and saw the distant lightning......kicked off my new kicks and crawled back into bed.

....thanks for all the tips and suggestions......

....turns out

Vacuuming the Sheets didn't work so well,

The Hoover Representative

will be explaining Why to me later today..

========

......26min poolrunning last night.............may try PBJ's sauna idea after my next one

...............good running guys..............Rest Day......

the house

is in

Relatively Good Shape

and

after I took out the batteries,

the Smoke Alarm quit making that annoying noise......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morning; yes, indeed, the warmth is back. Sunny  75 degrees and some humidity. I ran about 6.5 miles.

Yesterday was just a 3/4 mile swim. Legs needed a rest day. I also walked to get dinner food; we still are down a car and DH had taken DS to karate.

Mary, are these the striped kittens with the "M". They must be very cute.

Hugs to Carolyn. My DD has one more year of high school then we are down to one. But he is just 11.

PBJ, that must have been quite a run. Time for some new shorts!

SteveP

I'd love to see your mom with the kittens Mary.

Nice 20K reverse taper Dave

This morning Tag went to the back door and was gruffing to egt out. We heard Noah from across the field.."Go runnin (G)rampy" Tag nd I suited up and grabbed the jogger. DD went with us and for 2.3 foggy and serene miles we had a slow outing and a heart to heart. We had to "Go up hill" , "Go dwon hill", "Hide" and "Pick flower" quite often.We saw a lesser egret..Not too common in our area. DD got a call and whom ever was on the other end got an ear full...When DD reached into the back of the jogger to get her phone, a spider was hanging from her nose. It got loud. When we got back to our fields, my arm got a bit longer. There was a flock of young turkeys Tag wanted to visit. After we dropped Noah and DD off, Tag was pulling me back home. When I let him off the leash, he ran back to where the turkeys were. Little snot.

SteveP

A short 1.5 mile "hard to call it a run" experience on the treadmill last night when I got home from work at 1 AM.  

I am sure the pure fatigue hit my brain, but at that hour of the night I got the impulse to try running backwards on the treadmill.   Has anyone ever tried that?    When I am running on the trail / road, I often enjoy going for a while backwards and can do it at full speed.....run forward, spin around, run backward, spin around ....and keep on going.

Well, at 1 AM on a treadmill, this technique did not work so well,   Fortunately I quit before the belt propelled me into the wall.   I WILL GET IT IN TIME!!!!

PBJ.....Compared to some of the get ups that I have seen you wear in pictures, the drooping (or is that dropping?) shorts seems to not really be that much of an issue, especially in this society.

Holly.....Is your Garmin still working okay?    We bought ours at the same time and I was wondering the other day if yours is still holding up.   Mine seems to be doing fine, although it does seem to be giving me slower times

TW.......Good plan........vacuum the sheets and organize the floor.    All I keep thinking is how thankful Pickles must be to be getting this rest.

Hopeful.....That is a neat mental picture that I am envisioning of your Mother and the kittens.  I am sure you have taken an actual picture of it which will be a great keepsake.   Enjoy!!

Dave59......maybe you can market that 38 day from "20k to couch potato" program.  The end result seems to be popular with a lot of people today.

Forecast for 99 degree weather here today.   It is 89 degrees at 10:00 AM, so they are probably right.  Good weather "just the way I like it".

Have a great day everyone and God bless America

Vista
                        Mariposai

Happiness  is being alive!!

OrangeMat, great double digit run yesterday! I am glad to stop by here to tell us.

Carolyn, good luck to your kiddo in Cornell. Do follow up Francesca's recomendation of restaurant. I have never eaten there, but I have the Moosewood cookbook and it is one of my weekly go-to weekly cookbooks. 

ThePro, amamzing run you had yesterday in 90F and 70% humidity.

divechief, enjoy your three weeks off. You sure have a lot of vacation days at work.

Hurray to Jlynne victorious running yesterday.

deegee, I am using honey stinger with great success, but in the last couple of weeks, following twocat's advice, I started using shot blocks during my longish runs and my delicate tummy is accepting that very well. As you know my quest this training cycle is to find the right nutrition for me for race days.

Today was tempo run for my wing. 9 miles with 30' easy, 40 minutes at tempo and the rest easy. I felt like I was flying during the tempo miles. I felt in the clouds, but not as high as I did 25 years ago when I walked to the altar to say yes to Mr. Posie. Off to work for half and day then to travel to British Columbia for some wine tasting and  a nice dinner at our favorite italian restaurant.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

10.7 miles with fartlek style intervals at 6:30 am---felt good after warming up a bit---takes at least 3 miles before all the parts are settled. I go from Bill the cat style running to a gazelle (ha) okay, no gazelle like running happening (more like a smurf), but at least the flailing calms down so I can get into the speed-ups.

TW!   And beware the sauna---both you and PBJ   http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/08/sauna-championship-russian-dead

Happy Anniversary Maraposai!  (19 years for me and Mr. CNYrunner tomorrow)

Marathon Maniac #957

6 more weeks of summer!

Joey – re the Garmin – so far, so good...

{{{Wildchild}}}

Mariposai – Happy Anniversary!

TomWhite -

9 miles for me today, including 6 x ½ mile intervals with 200m recoveries.  Intervals were:

3:51      (7:42)

3:44      (7:28)

3:53      (7:46)

3:57      (7:54)

3:59      (7:58)

3:48      (7:36)

78° and 83% at 5am didn’t give me any help.  While I do love the hot weather, I must admit that I don’t run my best in it.  By the time I finished the first interval, my face felt like you could fry an egg on it.  I gave up modesty at that point and took my shirt off, dropping it off the side of the river path by a big tree.  When I finished my intervals and came back by that spot a half-hour later, my shirt was gone!  The only people that I had seen coming from that direction were two bicyclists and a middle-aged woman walking a beagle.  I looked back down the path and saw her about ¼ mile away, and took off jogging toward her.  I could see the flash of pink fabric in her hand.  When I reached her, I asked her if I could have my shirt back...........she told me she was just picking up along the trail and thought it belonged to a homeless person.....

...and I ran all the way home without putting it back on.....today I just didn't care....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

. I felt in the clouds, but not as high as I did 25 years ago when I walked to the altar to say yes to Mr. Posie.

I wanna lick both of your faces.

Sniffing Butts, Tag