Masters Running

Wed Sep 30 Runs and Workouts (Read 516 times)

TammyinGP

I ran at the track last night also - dodging rain drops. not successful. But I did get in 5 miles, lots of talking and catching up with my friend Laura . .  remember her Timbo?  . . . and a few stretches of bionic speed on back stretch, okay we felt bionic, but in reality it was probably only a 8 m/m pace or so.

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Very positive Ilene!

Lift, stepper, spin.  The spin was hill intervals.  The class hated them.  I just sweat and smile.

Rain predicted for the marathon.  Not a big deal unless there's heavy wind as well.  You can't control the weather (and everyone else in the race has the same weather as you).  I just hope the PBJsters can stay dry.

How many miles should I run tomorrow?  I'll play it by feel.

I just read Barb's post from yesterday - hill-larious!  Now where are the li'l sis Octoberfest pix?

evanflein

Mary, I've had runs like that... I think it was Nono who said her dog Renee was a "half mile girl" and she tries to plan her runs so by that point she's near a trash can. I was thinking about that the other day, and figured I'm a "3 mile girl" because it's about that point where I'm thinking I have to make like a bear in the woods... Was thinking I need to go out 1.5 miles, run back home to take care of business, then head out for the rest of my run. Haven't done that yet, but I think some days it would be a smart plan.

Nice pace, Lou. You might do extremely well this weekend...

Been wearing long sleeves for awile here now. I'll RAL again, just 5 or so miles onthe bike path in my bright red Bellingham Bay Marathon shirt that Tet gave me. Normally I won't wear a race shirt if I didn't run the race, but hey, I did it the year before and I traded him an Equinox shirt for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

.. Was thinking I need to go out 1.5 miles, run back home to take care of business, then head out for the rest of my run.

Speaking from experience, this would be easier to talk yourself into if you didn't live on a hill....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have been missing in action again.  More stuff came up in September and I couldn't run.  I haven't done any serious running since the end of March so I missed all the nice weather.  I am trying to get back into it again but I've lost so much fitness.

Today I did 3 miles with only one walk break

Last Sunday I did 2.75 miles with two walk breaks

Last Saturday I did 1.36 miles, with one walk break I think.

It is really hard work, and hard to see those 12 min paces that "feel" like 10:30's but if I keep at it....it can only get easier.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It's not October yet, but I have a sudden urge for beer and other german delicacies

Enke--Good to see you back.  Sorry life has conspired to keep you off the road.  Fitness goes away a LOT faster than it arrives, but you're making good progress.  Hang in there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Speaking from experience, this would be easier to talk yourself into if you didn't live on a hill....

And I think that's the #1 reason I haven't done it!

Rosie, is that your sis?

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

And I think that's the #1 reason I haven't done it!

Rosie, is that your sis?

yep

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

dg.

Rose I love having you back here.   nice run Smile

Enke you too!   I've been wondering how you are.   I do know how hard it is,  or at least, have a pretty good idea.    WTG, you're making progress already.   Like you said, it will get easier.  ((( )))

sigh. swamped today.

nice running everybody!

Karin & I had a nice run today... intervals for me, she had a recovery run. .    Definitely brisk, but at least it was dry.   and a DAAve sighting!  Smile.   plan was for 1 mile w/u & c/d, 3K @ 1/2 marathon pace, 2K @ 10K pace, 1K @ 5K pace, 800 meters at 3000 meter pace, 90 sec. recoveries.  I messed up but it was ok. 1.05 miles @10:15, 1.92 miles @ 9:32, 1.28 miles @ 9:02, .57 @ 8.52, .27 @ 8:41.  Last mile at 9:50.   overall 6.14 miles, 9:37 average pace, 7:44 max.            Still not wearing my hrm.  I have bad sores,even though I haven't worn it in a couple of weeks.   Today I took a sleeve from a cut up flannet shirt & tucked it through my sports bra.  It is a look I highly recommend.  .

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Little know fact.. Oktoberfest goes from Sept 19 through October 4th... better hurry up with the drinking Smile

Lou. if it's IRC and a fairly flat course and you feel gretta..... might just want to go for it on the first one.... just sayin

2 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 20:12 (10:06, AHR 136). Nice 48° this morning.

A gym (dance, karate, fitness center) which I never heard of and which is only 2 miles away has free membership for the unemployed (not that I'm making a career out of being unemployed)!  I tried it out today, first time ever in a gym weight machine facility.  I tried like 14 machines and came out feeling like I just had a massage!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mary,

Congrats on 25 years of bliss and have fun in Paris.

Enke,

I am on my first week back  from a long lay off also so don't feel all alone.  It comes back fairly quickly , at least I hope.

Rose,

The St. Pauley Girl is your sister? 

3 more getting back in shape miles today at a slow pace. Sunny and 45ish so a nice day to be out there.

I have to do my runs inbetween my 2 jobs during the week so it seems a little hectic but I will get used to it. I have about 1.5 hours to run, eat and maybe shower if everyone is lucky before reporting for my night job.

Have great runs everyone

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

#artbydmcbride

.........   Today I took a sleeve from a cut up flannet shirt & tucked it through my sports bra.  It is a look I highly recommend.  .

Runners run

I am not even going to pretend to try and catch up here from the past week or so.  I am back home for a few days and then off again next week to Austin.  I had hoped to run the Austin HM a week from Sunday with my DW but alas that will not happen.  So instead I will be in CT with her.

WRFB my guess is that when you get to the marathon you will likely run it at marathon pace. 

hopeful4ever nice dog run and many dog stories to follow from my SIL's agility trials below!

Jlynne I did not realize kids playing a game with no long term impact on their lives should be about anything other than winning at all costs?    I must be totally confused here?  Really, the way you see some adults behave you would think the kids are all going to make their living playing pro sports.

breger1  just so you know your "cooler weather" is going to come at the cost of all of us up north via "freezing bone crushing cold."  I am so, so jealous!

nonoruns just think maybe you can condense two marathons into one and run say 52.4 miles!  Get that 50 state goal done in half the time!    Nice 8 miler.

SLO_HAND I hope all feels well soon.

stumpy77 no pain post run is all that counts.

Holly S. good luck with tomorrow's tempo run.  Here it should be in the low 60's and I have noticed that breaks the short shirt while walking around barrier.

lamerunner well at least it sounds like things are on the mend.  Soon maybe . . .

roachrunner good luck in the HM.  As to dog raising being anywhere close to kid raising . . . you have totally lost it!  I do not have any kids but just watching from afar the dog is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, . . ., way, way, easier!

Tresadfp one of the great parts of running is discovering a new trail.  Sounds like it was fun.

buehrle nice double digit run with some fast miles too!

Ileneforward you obviously just had a day dream that you ran intervals at the track and had a great time.  I may not have done those in some time but I clearly remember there is now freakin way you can run intervals and have a great time!

TammyinGP now that is more like what the upper bound on a good time at a track report really looks like!

PBJ you may not be able to control the weather but rain during a race still bites.  I hope it holds off for you.

evanflein normally having a shirt for a race you did not run is a major infraction but in this case I think you are in the clear!

enkephalin well you got to start back somewhere and you seem to be getting a good start at this point.

dg. but if you ran with a top international racer they would view it as walking!  All that counts is you which is one of the great things about recreational racing and running.   But I figure you already know that.

perchcreek well the gym membership is kind of a nice perk while you look.

halllar at least you are finding time to get your runs in.  Plus with 1.5 hours in between you can do say 10 miles every day!

First medical report:  I went to the doctor on Tuesday.  Waited an hour in the waiting room.  Got called in.  He saw me for a whole six minutes I figure and decided to send me off for a new MRI.  That is set for 10/13.  I guess it could be worse, it could have been Friday the 13th!  No new news until then.

Dog report:  There will be no pictures because brain dead me left the camera at home!  As to how my SIL and her dogs did at the Nationals cleaned up is a pretty good description!  Her top dog - Baxter - won 5 out of 6 events in his class and took overall honors.  He competed in the Standard division, which is one down from the top Elite.  Next year, it is off to the Elite since he will have the necessary lifetime points to go in with them.  If he had been in the Elite division he would have won at least two events.  The Standard and Elites run the same courses so you can do the comparison.  The only difference is what dogs are competing against each other for placement.  Finally to top it all off Baxter won an acting job!  I forgot which TV series, sorry!, but I will get the answer and get back here.  You can then see Baxter who they want to bark up a storm on the show.  He is apparently the neighbor's annoying barking dog.  As my SIL was teaching him to bark on command she commented that you never want to train your dog to do this unless you are getting paid a whole bunch of money to do so!  Amen as real annoying barking dogs are really annoying!

Good running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BlazinCajun

Ran 5.02 miles of trail at work today just to get a workout in. Funny thing with this cool weather I ended up running at a moderately hard pace for me 8:34/mile. Slowly getting back in shape with just the normal aches and pains. Don't have any races planned. May run the Pinch-Gut-XC 7.5K in Jan, Super Eagle Day (March) 5K in Millen, GA maybe run the Glory Run (April) with Celeste (DD#!) one more time. Take care - Andrew

Andrew
                                ------------------
                                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                                Hb 3:19