Masters Running

Tuesday, July 14 Master Runs, Rests and Stories (Read 430 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

MTA....I just want to be clear.....I haven't gotten a note from your DH......I'm taking his lead and putting it in the tool bag for future SAU's (Sposal Approval Units).......Geez, somethimes you should really read what you type before hitting the Post button.

Bill -

Runningsmarter - great job!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Amie, brag away - you maxed out the bragging rights scale on 2 of 3 tests?    And you maxed the regular scale for situps 6 months after giving birth?  Awesome job!

Speedy runs today for Perch, Sue, Slo, and Holly!

Lots of celebrations in Boomer-land today!  I'm honored to share this Bastille Day birthday with Mariposai, Teresa, Teresa's DS, and Sue's DH!  And if I'm not mistaken, it's also dg's anniversary today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

tried to run,  back of the knee is still complaining.  pain is shallow and minor.  (tendon?) but asking for a little more time off.   Guess I will walk some more.
        TammyinGP

{{divechief}}

leaving on our family vacation to Seattle tomorrow. I hope our schedule works to get to the ferry before your shift ends Divechief. I have your cell and will give you a call if that works out.

Tammy

dg.

(((Divechief's knee)))

(((Twocat's everything)))

Yay Mary's back!!

Yay Kevin!!

I wonder how Doug is enjoying his bike/camping trip.

Slo_hand.. Big grin

good noon! 

Holly,  that is so great!

Perch, you too.

ha.   Byll, let me know when you do recovery runs.   Then I can run with you.  

Carolyn,  I'm so impressed!  Yes, it is.  Smile.   thanks.   Happy Birthday! 

It was 44F when I started this morning.  I wore a jacket for a short warm up walk, but happily I loop back right by my car when I start to run, & dropped it off.  It was perfect.  Ab pain was back, I might go see my doctor just in case,  I suppose it could be something other than psoas.   But  everything else behaved pretty well. Smile.  6.19 miles, 10:22 ave.pace, 8:23 max. AHR 156, (a world record) , 170 max.  My running index was up, was glad to see that.  It's been dropping. The plan called for 2X 20 sec. hill sprints, & 2X20 second hopping.  Figured I shouldn't hop quite yet.  Was hesitant about the hill sprints too, so I ended up doing maybe 6 or 7 surges, of various lengths.  OK, I had a delusion that I could do a full blown strideouts & was all excited about it, but body parts said not yet you idiot.   Added 1 prescribed hill sprint, & that went well.  Still highly in favor of running.  ;-)

Great running here today---SLO!

HOLLY! TOLD YOU SO....that's all I am sayin' yeesh....maybe you'll listen to Bill and from now on I am sticking my fingers in my ears when you say anything about too slow, too short, too..... LA, LA, LA...

Way to go Stumpy! Rockin' workout for you Perch....seems like you are back and then some.

Erika is tough in heat and cold...why am I not surprised. Amazing!

hi dg! Way to build those miles

Sorry I'll miss you in New London Sue, but another time, okay?

Rare mid-morning run for me---12.7 hilly, hilly miles at 8:19 pace (8:15-8:20 was the target). I felt light and the run zipped by. The low humidity and relatively cool temps (72º) helped. As did the visiting time with the Super Gs yesterday. I am so inspired by my elders and hope for their good genes. One of my aunts will be here tomorrow for a few days and will then ferry Super Granny to Brooklyn until mid-August. It's all good as Granny is waking up lots in the middle of the night in deep anxiety. She is lonely and missing her departed friends. It may be time for her to live with one of her kids or with me. Big family meeting soon.

Good Luck Twocat. Maybe you just don't show frustration here, but you are SO upbeat and supportive in the face of so many obstacles to your running. I admire that and I am waiting to race you again too!

((((divechief)))))

Congrats RS!

Gotta scoot...happy running all

Wow, there have been some absolutely awesome exhibitions of strength and stamina amongst the "old farts."  Back off all you 20 and 30-somethings.  The older crowd is taking over the world!

Twocat - I really hope that treatment works for you.  And medical expense - I can commiserate.  All I can do is chip away slowly but surely at my surgery bills.

Divechief - {{{healing vibes}}} for your knee.

3 miles this a.m. on too stiff legs, but the breathing was a challenge for some reason.  Just couldn't get it under control.  Probably the dampness and a bit of humidity.  Then it was about 50 min of strength training.  Did 2 sets instead of 3 of each exercise, although I could've at least done three for the upper bod.  Oh well!

Got my new training schedule in preparation for the Big Sur Trail Marathon Sept. 26.  Coach took me at my word when I said I thought the hill work needed to be more challenging, and to throw in some speed work (which I absolutely cannot stand ).  Me and my big mouth. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Wow, so many good runs here, hard to even try to get them all. Just a big "Way to Go, everyone!" with the biggest shout out to Stumpy! Kevin, that's great. I know that feeling of it being a "real run" and that's so cool for you.

Steve, I know others have done things similar to this... but how the hell do you run 9 miles on a track? I'd feel more like a hamster than on the treadmill! I'd also lose track fo my laps... Good job, how's the knee?

{{Divechief's knee}}

{{Twocat}} sure hope this works. And yes, the FSA comes with some "gotcha" rules, doesn't it? I'm always amazed (and appalled) at how much money our employees forfeit every year. Some set up big accounts and never file a claim.  I wonder if they just forget? Hey, the wine tasting had a little bit of everything, but lots of low-end wine that I thought a little over priced even with the discount they were offering. I like to stock up on Italian wines at these things, and there was only one Chianti that I found, and not a riserva so I passed. Ordered one valpolicella and that was it. The rest were WA or CA wines.

Holly, my friend who was using the FIRST program to train for Rock-n-Roll Seattle ended up with a calf strain or tear from the speedwork on that program. He still really likes the program, but feels the speedwork might be a bit much for most people. And he has a really good base (running for years) and is a very careful runner. Just a word to the wise, I've heard people say risk of injury was so low on that program. But I have looked at his book and might borrow it...

I was going to get up early and run today because my schedule is a bit off this week. Lunch meeting today, so no RAL. And it's been so hot in the evenings I didn't want to RAW. But it was so hot in our house last night (even with the fans running, and no A/C) I couldn't get to sleep. And my kids were up late haunting around the house, and the dog was so restless.... oy. I had a bad night, so when I got up at 4:15 to let the dog out (again), I just shut off my alarm and tried to sleep. Got up late, late to work, yadda yadda yadda. Just feel wiped out. And it's so smoky today... we sure need rain. Guess I'll end up running after work, maybe on my long neglected treadmill if it's really smoky later on.

Renee the dog

. The plan called for 2X 20 sec. hill sprints, & 2X20 second hopping.   

Hey, MINE TOO!   dg, I do my hops before I go out and my hill sprints when I return home to the TM.  I find putting them in the middle is just nuts for me.  Just to prove it, today I tried to embed an extra one legged hop mid-run.  I jammed the crap out of my leg, including my knee.  I find the transition too difficult.  But remember, I'm a girl who needs sports with no equipment, 'cause I'm not the most coordinated....

And, Jlynne, for the record, I was wearing a cotton champion muscle shirt with a tech bra underneath.  Don't think I'm ready to bare it all for the world.  Though it does give me the giggles thinking of the possible reactions if I ever did!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hi, all.  Playing catch up on a couple of days' worth of dailies.  Was following my podiatrist's orders and "giving my legs a break" by riding my bike Sunday evening.  Had a terrific ride for the first 12 or so miles.  Decided to pull up into a driveway to get out of traffic, but my bike must have thought I wanted to do a little gymnastics move instead, because I saw pavement one second and sky the next.  I have spectacular brush burns on my right elbow, forearm, and shoulder, countless internal sore spots, and external bruises that are still emerging in a rainbow of glorious color.  If I ever again hear of a ball player put on the DL for a groin pull, I will weep for him in sympathy.  Nothing broken - thank goodness - but my the inside padding of my helmet is compressed.  Scary to think it could have been my head that was compressed instead!  I never would have considered riding without a helmet before, and feel even more justified in being one of the few adults wearing theirs on the boardwalk. 

After I fell, my first conscious thought was to wiggle my toes to rule out spinal cord injury and count backwards from 100 to rule out brain injury.  Once I knew I was OK in those two areas, my next conscious thought was:  this will NOT keep me from running!!!  I didn't even cry until I thought that I might not be able to run for a while.  I think I would have been OK to try a few miles this morning, but I'm benching myself until tomorrow just to be on the safe side.  Really hate to waste such a glorious running day, though.

Oh, yeah, podiatrist was right about biking's healing effect on my stressed AT - my ankles are among the few places that DON'T hurt! 

Craneium - welcome back;  I did the Primanti Bros thing in Pgh a few years ago - french fries ON the sandwich - what a concept!

Sue - happy birthday to your DH;  I just started running three years ago and have celebrated by doing at least a few miles every birthday since

PBJ - your running tour of two coasts sounds magnificent

Leslie - belated congrats on your amazing trail race

Good runs and recoveries, all and ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET WHEN YOU RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Steve, I know others have done things similar to this... but how the hell do you run 9 miles on a track? I'd feel more like a hamster than on the treadmill! I'd also lose track fo my laps... Good job, how's the knee?

About half was on the track and the rest was: 2 mi with dogs and 2.6 miles to+from track.

Knee still has off/on sore spot and "click" but better than yesterday and no worse after speed work. Avoiding downhills and strengthening quads.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

eliz4015 glad you are ok!  You are absolutely right wearing a bike helmet is a good idea.  As is one on a motorcycle.  Ironically, they do not help prevent skier deaths.

For those that want to know why:  It turns out helmets can only save your life if the impact is under 17 miles an hour.  The vast majority of bike accidents are in this category.  Amazingly, so are most motorcycle accidents!  (If you are going 60 on a motorcycle and get into an accident there is no need to worry if you have a helmet on or are even stark naked.)  Skiers however spend most of their time well above 17 miles an hour.  Even an intermediate will get far beyond that.  Ski helmets will mostly save you from skull abrasions if you like to ski in the trees.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

EliΩ (or the teacher formerly known as Eliz)  Also very glad to hear you're OK.  Doesn't sound like there's anything permanently damaging, but very scary and painful.  Interesting point by 2cat.  BTW--you probably already know this, but give that helmet a burial with full honors and get a bright shiny new one for the next ride.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Cripes, Eliz!  So glad you're okay.  I think this incident definitely means you deserve a good massage . . . or an ice cream . . . or something.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

fatozzig, congratulations on your 3rd and best ultra.  steve, nice 15K race.  Woods Lady, way to go on your first run of 20 minutes without walking.  Even though it happened quite a few years ago, I can still remember the way I felt when I had my first 20 minute run.  jlynne, belated happy anniversary.  CNY, good job in your 15K race.  craneium, it's good to hear from you.  hopeful, it's good to have you back and posting.  stumpy, nice run.  sue, happy birthday to your husband.  runningsmarter, congrats on your impressive military physical fitness test.  eliz, sorry to hear about the bike spill but glad to hear the damage wasn't too serious.

Nice long runs for evan,bike,holly (with speedwork), and CNY.  Good job on the speedwork for breger and perch.

This morning it was about 50° and calm.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:18:30 for a 9:48 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS