Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING w/e 08/22 (Read 407 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Evening all.  Decided to tempt fate again and start the thread.  Leslie:  You can add your quote later.  Or in the immortal words of Nike advertising:  JUST DO IT!

Mon:  AM: 20 mins of core excercises: 4 sets of 50 push-ups [200 total], 4 sets of abds, 3 sets of pull-ups, mild stretching.  PM: UB free weights using garage weight bench.

Tue:  AM: 20 mins of core excercises: 4 sets of 50 push-ups [200 total], 3 sets of abds, 3 sets of pull-ups, mild stretching. Followed by 5.27 mile run @ 7:53 min pace.  Nice fast easy run. 

Wed: AM: 20 mins of core excercises: 4 sets of  push-ups [180 total], 3 sets of abds, 3 sets of pull-ups, mild stretching.  PM: 5.6 mile easy run after work.  Pace @ 8 min miles. 

Thur: 45 min free-weight and circuit weight training at fitness center.  Mostly UB but did so some leg work.

Fri :  Off today, planned on getting early morning run in.  Overslept so skipped core excercises.  8 mile hill run instead pace around 8:25 min miles. 

Sat: SRD Some isometric excercises and a few dumbell excercises about 10 mins just killing time - nothing serious.

Sun:  6+ mile run this morning just under 8 min pace.  Humid, overcast and though I was hoping to run in rain - didn't happen.

Total miles: 25

Core excercises; 1 hour - 580 push-ups.

Free-weights: 1.75 hours.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Dutchie42

LOL, you're very courageous Joe Thanks for starting us up.

Mon: 5K recovery run + 30min UB + abs
      3.6K doggie run with Spikey and Spooky. Legs definitely hadn't recovered yet from yesterday's long run. So good thing Spike had me standing around waiting for him to come out of the tall grass Total running time: 28 minutes. Total time away from home: 47 minutes. Added on a 30 LB w/o and a 10 min ab w/o.
      Tue: 7K hill w/o on the TM + 30min LB
      Started my training with a 50 min UB w/o, which I should've done yesterday. Followed by a hilly 9K run on the TM.
      15 min warm up @ 9K/h and 0%
      30 sec @ 9K/h and 3-4-5-4-3% with 30 sec recoveries inbetween @ 0%
      3 min @ 9K/h and 0%
      30 sec @ 9K/h and 3-4-5-4-3% no recoveries
      3 min @ 9K/h and 0%
      30 sec @ 3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3% with 30sec recoveries inbetween @ 0%
      3 min @ 9K/h and 0%
      30 sec @ 3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3% with no recoveries
      finished up @ 9K/h and 0% till I ran a full 60 minutes.
      Threw in a few striders @ 10K/h to make sure I would end up with 9 kilometers.
      I really enjoyed it today. Thought it would be hard because my legs felt tired, but didn't notice a thing while running
      Wed: 1h30 easy run + abs
      Last Saturday there was a teeny weeny incident between Spooky and a german shepherd (Spooky is afraid of her own kind). Which caused me to make a jump to the right real fast to avoid Spooky's butt colliding with my left knee in a very painful way. I think I injured something then at the back of my R-knee, on the outside. It has been hurting ever since. Feels like a tendon is very tight. It seems OK when I'm walking or running for a while. Which is why I kept running. But it's been getting worse. So I'm taking a rest day to see if it will improve.
      Thu: 10K easy run + 30min LB/Plyo
      Back of knee seems a little better. Not sure that's because of yesterday's rest day though.
      Nice relaxing 13 kilometer easy run with Spooky. Went out late cause I was waiting for the rain to stop. Good thing I'm staycationing
      Fri: 5.5K easy run + 30 min UB + abs
      Does deep-cleaning the living room count as a workout? Took me 4 hrs (!). After that, I didn't feel like running or working out in general. Too hot anyways. Temp shot up from 18C on average for a week to 28C today. Bleh.... Anyways, that's one room I can cross of my list, four more to go.
      Sat: 5.5K easy run + HiiT 30/30
      Spooky and I went out early because they forecastes another hot day: 10.1 kilometers of easy running. Lower legs felt heavy. Zoned out apparently cause I was suddenly running up the bridge with only 400 meters left to go. 
      Sun: 2h45 long run
      Very sloooooow long run: 23.95 kilometer long run (2h56) around the bird sanctuary. Running 10.1 kilometers the day before my long run is not the brightest idea I've ever had. Weather was OK: temp about 19C, skies were threatening rain the whole time, but I didn't get wet. Pretty windy, especially along the dike, but that was OK too. Last 2 kilometers were really hard. My legs were tired ofcourse, but not so tired they needed a break. Mentally I was done though. I was fed up with all the running. But I had to get home, so no other option then continue

Total running mileage: 59.7 kilometers (37.09 miles)
      No biking
      LB: 1x
      UB: 1x
      Abs: 1x
      I really need to do more about my strength training. And I should try and stick to my schedule more. However, now that I'm staycationing, I find it really hard to stick to a routine.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

LOL, you're very courageous Joe Thanks for starting us up.

no just foolhardy 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Can I share with everyone my theme for the week? "How do you cutback your miles without feeling like you're never going to be able to run as much as you did before again?" This self-doubt stuff STINKS! But if I don't temporarily reduce my mileage, I'll get (re)injured, I know that. But a cutback in mileage shouldn't translate to a cutback in confidence. ugh.

I suppose it would be helpful if I actually had a race running event I was training for. But I can't even commit myself to something like that without feeling defeated. Is it a full moon this week or what??

Mon..... rest
          Tues... 3.75 miles AM, 5.2 miles PM
          Wed.... 45 minutes stationary bike
          Thur.... 3.25 miles
          Fri....... 4 miles
          Sat...... 5.5 miles
          Sun..... 8 miles

totals: 29.7 miles
          evanflein

OM, just don't cutback too far. Start your next week about midway through your higher mileage, and build from there. That is, if you want to keep building. Otherwise, nothing wrong with just repeating the cycle. You're doing great with your doubles and mileage!

Cutback week for me. Signed up for a very hilly 10k on Sunday. First year I ran this I got 3rd woman overall (no AG awards) and a $25 gift card for bagels! (sponsor is a bagel/bread shop...)

Monday: Rest day and overeating...
            Tuesday: 5.6 miles (8:17 average) run, .6 mile walk. (hey, can't stay on the Stumpy training plan forever!)
            Wednesday: 9.3 hilly trail miles, 8:30 avg pace; .4 mile walk c/d
            Thursday: 6.7 miles of hills, ran this hard and ended up with 8:08 avg pace; .36 mile walk c/d
            Friday: 4.1 miles at easy effort, .65 mile walk
            Saturday: 8 peppy miles @ 8:17 avg pace, .4 mile walk, then almost 4 hours in the blueberry patch!

Sunday: 1.26 mile warm up, 6.64 mile race (a "long" 10k), 6.1 miles after for 14 miles for the day; .5 mile walk

(got 3rd female again this year! 5th overall... only 2 guys ahead of the 3 of us women!)

Totals: 47.8 miles run, 5.2 miles walked and almost 4 hours blueberry picking

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Monday: Rest day and overeating...
              Tuesday:
              Wednesday:
              Thursday:
              Friday:
              Saturday:
              Sunday:

Totals:

hey--I know THAT training program .  I'm good at it, too. 

I'm on day two of the very same thing.  Trip to NC for 3 days.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM, just don't cutback too far. Start your next week about midway through your higher mileage, and build from there. That is, if you want to keep building. Otherwise, nothing wrong with just repeating the cycle. You're doing great with your doubles and mileage!

Thanks! Though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by starting my next week midway through my higher mileage. What I do know is that I'd like to keep my next few weeks in the low 40s, if I can maintain it. Get used to how it feels to run that much consistently. Not quite sure what value there is (for me at least) to keep building indefinitely, ya know?

Thanks, Joe!  Starting the thread never even crossed my mind.         And Doggoneit!  I really am just a little ole pussy cat at heart.

Mon - Rest --------------------------------------------------- Got 'er done
                  Tues - Resting even more ------------------------------ It was tuff, but made it thru
                  Wed - 10 miles --------------------------------------------- 8 steady miles
                  Thurs - 3 or 30; Core/Strength ------------------------- 30 min; 45 min core and upper/lower body strength
                  Fri - Rest ----------------------------------------------------- Recovery from Bonkos
                  Sat - 22 Trail  Miles ---------------------------------------- 20.5 road miles
                  Sun - 10 Miles ---------------------------------------------- 11.5 road miles

Total: 40 road miles, 30 min stationary biking, 45 min core, upper/lower body

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Thanks! Though I'm not exactly sure what you mean by starting my next week midway through my higher mileage. What I do know is that I'd like to keep my next few weeks in the low 40s, if I can maintain it. Get used to how it feels to run that much consistently. Not quite sure what value there is (for me at least) to keep building indefinitely, ya know?

I can understand that. And what I meant by starting midway, is say, for example, you built for 3 weeks, at 25 miles, then 28 miles, then 30 miles (just for example), then cutback to 25, then increase to 28 (see, you're starting back midway), then next week maybe 30 or 31, then next week 34 or so... then another cutback, but this time no lower than 28, etc. that way you can continue to ratchet up your mileage (usually by adding a little to a mid-week run and a long run, then maybe to two midweek runs, etc) with a 3-week progression, then a cutback. But I agree, there's no reason to build forever, and no reason to go beyond mid-30's, mid-40's, whatever you're comfortable with that allows you to feel good about your running and stay uninjured!

Also, rather than continuing to build miles, after you're comfortable with a certain level of mileage, say bouncing around in the 40's for awhile, you can change up your routine by adding different kinds of running and some speedwork. Run some trails. Run some intervals on the road or track. Do doubles (you're already doing that and I think that's awesome!). Just don't get in a rut where you feel it's all stupid and pointless (been there, done that), and don't get hurt. Easy, right?

Hey folks!

mon............rest

tues............3miles.................3miles

wed............3miles..................no run

thurs...........rest.......................no run

frid...............3miles.................3miles

sat..............rest.......................5K race (3.1 miles) plus another 3 miles trails

sun..............3miles................3miles

15.1 miles total.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      OrangeMat

MM #6177

Erika, you have no idea how helpful and informative your feedback is! Thank you so much!
                        pfriese

Thanks for the thread start shadowrunner.

M - 7 miles

T - 8 miles

W - rest day

Th - 7 miles

F - 6 miles

Sa - 13.9 miles

Su - rest day

Total - 41.9 miles

Paul