Masters Running

Thanksgiving Thursday 11/23 (Read 36 times)

Good morning good people! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm sure Jay is doing all of the things listed in Tet's post yesterday - up for a few early miles, starting dinner prep, setting the table, racing in a turkey trot, then cooking the main course and dessert, with dinner planned for 1:00 PM

No fancy recaps or shout-outs from me today, but was thinking maybe it would be nice if everyone posted one thing they were grateful for? I'll start. DS#2 has had a rough couple of years. Lost his job, lost his house, his fiancé broke their engagement and too many other things to mention. He's now working, seems to really love what he's doing, and his financial situation is much improved. Though he's still not in a relationship, he does seem so much happier. And I am SO grateful for this!

Off to run a 5 mile turkey trot today, then volunteer serving at an outreach dinner for those who are alone and homeless. DS#1 is having us for dinner tonight, and since DS#2 is on the road and won't be home until Friday night, I'll have our thanksgiving dinner here on Saturday.

Good luck to all who are racing today!

MTA  Tet - "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown" is a series on CNN I think. If you have cable you can probably find it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for starting us off Jeanne.  It is really nice to hear about your son.  That is something to be very grateful for.

Eric is doing better, too.  He is in treatment and actually going this time.  He is being open and honest about his drug use and was really proud to receive his 30 days of sobriety coin, a couple days ago.  I am very grateful for that and so many other things in my life. I know I complain way too much about stuff...especially my job--but I am very thankful that I am able to work and have a job.  I could go on and on and get real mushy, but I'll stop, now.

Debbie and I got up at 5:00, stuffed the turkey and got it in the oven around 6:30.  It should be done around 12:30.  We eat at 1:00 and every year, it seams like the turkey isn't ready, so this year, I'm determined to be on time.  Three of our guests have said they can't make it...they must have heard about the other 37.

When does the Macy's parade start?  I always have to have it on TV even though I don't watch it.  It reminds me of my mom for some reason.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

...mornin' and Happy ThanksGiving.......

like twocat, I'm the only one that likes the Oyster Casserole,

this year

Claire has agreed to try it,

therefore

there will either be two of us that like it,

OR

Mimi will be Mad at Me later today

...............pps........turns out the only word that rhymes with ''Circle'' is ''Hurkle""

which is actually a word

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Hi Jlynne, Mike, and Tomwhite, and everyone sleeping, traveling, cooking, etc.

Wednesday’s workouts:
          Tramps (exercise + 4 miles)
          Deeze (1:05 on the indoor bike trainer)
          Tomwhite (45 min indoor walking)
          Falconfixer (6+ group run morning miles, averaging under 8 m/m)
          Jlynne (5 cold morning miles)
          RunnerKSA (3.5 outside, chilly morning miles + 2 evening TM miles)
          Evanflein (TM run while brining turkey?)
          Wildchild (7.8 steep/technical trail miles with a friend in s/s & shorts)
          Bioguy (6 miles with windage @ 10:30)
          Holly (5.2 midday miles after driving all over the place)
          Catwhoorg (9 rolling miles round the hood with passing pull-ups)
          Pfriese (10 afternoon miles)

I'm grateful for the way DW's and my lives have evolved. I didn't really know, when I was making life decisions from my late teens on, how everything would ultimately shake out. We're very fortunate that we made more good decisions than not. I'm most fortunate to have crossed paths with a lot of extraordinary people in my life, quite a few of whom are still in my life. Each person, in many different ways, has made and continues to make my life richer.

I never got a workout in yesterday. As you know, I made an airport run instead of my workout in the early AM, and then went to work. We had a lunch party at the office for a woman who is moving to SC, and will still work for the company from there (but I'm going to really miss her presence in the office); I had to do the grocery shopping for today on the way home at the end of the day; and it was raining all afternoon, including when I got home, and I didn't want to violate Rule #1. So it goes.

I headed out for a 5K Turkey Trot this morning. I hadn't pre-registered, and it was 27° and breezy when I got there. I had under-dressed, and I contemplated going back home and going for my own workout later. But I wasn't sure I really wanted to do that, since I was already there. Before I knew it, I was pinning a bib on my tights. The race was supposed to start at 8:30, but they were late getting all the last-minute registrations into the timing system, so we stood at the start line for an extra 5-7 minutes or so, with everyone bouncing up and down to try to stay warm and loose. We finally got on our way, and there was a lot of people traffic for at least the first half mile - people with strollers, people with dogs, lots of little kids, and those dang walkers! When it opened up a bit, I just stayed in my head, didn't look at my Garmin at all, and tried to keep good racewalking form while maximizing my turnover rate. Splits were 10:23, 10:21, 10:21, and 9:48 for a 10:20 avg pace. I would have liked to have been a little lower in the 10s, but was OK with my time. No walking division, so I headed back to the car before I started to chill down again. Now, let the cooking begin!

Have a greta Thanksgiving!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, all.   Good walking, Jay!     Jeanne- that's great about your son.  Yours, too, Mike.   We've had a lot of struggles with our son over the years. Kid issues are so much harder than your own issues.....

Grateful that my daughter is enjoying Thanksgiving week with good friends in Ft. Collins and making headway with moving on with her life without her soon to be ex-husband.  She found a nice apartment in a fun part of Nashville, is a finalist (fingers crossed) for an interim rector position (would buy her a year or two) and is adjusting.

Ran 6.3 miles with the local running group and I wasn't even last.  I ran it a little harder than I needed to, but I felt pretty good even though Monkey was only 4 days ago.   It was chilly but clear and nice.

On with Thanksgiving!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I'm grateful that my daughters & granddaughters are doing well.

I ran the Huntington Turkey Trot 5k this morning.  This is race #200 for me since I started keeping track in 1989.

Finish: 26:55 / 8:40 pace

Splits: 8:53, 8:42, 8:31, :50

199 of 1119 overall

139 of 478 men

13 of 72 men 50-59

My best 5k time of the year and about the best I've felt in a race in a long time.  No aches or pains, not out of breath. Finished strong and felt like I could have gone for another run about 10 minutes after the finish. I chalk it up to Reese's Cups and Poptarts.

Small group of 4 this afternoon for Thanksgiving. Just us and the in-laws. Picked up the Bob Evans Feast for 4 on my way home from the race.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the turkey day start, jlynne.

Happy Thanksgiving from still-trying-to-rain-but-not-doing-a-very-good-job-of-it Seattle.

jeanne - although I touched on Jay's need for an alarm clock,

if any, twocat really nailed it.  Jay's the holly of maledom.

MTA  Tet - "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown" is a series on CNN I think. If you have cable you can probably find it.

ps jeanne - thanks. However, darn it, no TV but I'll keep Anthony Bourdain in mind in case it ever works out.  Sounds like a fun one. I sure to love eating here too.

Me too being thankful for kids getting back on the right track.

Not a single need to go anywhere this year to help out.

However, especially thankful about a little scare when DS called earlier in this month and, even though he's only 46-yo, said he was going in for emergency cataract surgery the next day.  Huh?  I don't even need it yet.  Turns out a fortunately very tiny, errant finishing nail richocheted off something and slipped in behind his safety glasses to lodge right through the cornea into the lens of his right eye immediately blinding any vision from there.  Oddly enough, no blood or pain. Turns out, the doc scheduled him for cataract surgery where he sat around in a waiting room with all kinds of my-age folks and got a new lens that'll be better than new.  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

so we stood at the start line for an extra 5-7 minutes or so, with everyone bouncing up and down to try to stay warm and loose. We finally got on our way, and there was a lot of people traffic for at least the first half mile - people with strollers, people with dogs, lots of little kids, and those dang walkers!

Yup - Very similar to the 5-mile Turkey Trot I ran this morning, even down to the weather, which was 26 degrees and breezy.  With thousands of people running it on a two-lane road, there is always lots of congestion, especially on the long hill that takes up most of the first mile, but I think only the 5 guys in front are actually seriously racing it.  Saw some cool costumes, including two cans of Dole cranberries, hot dogs, gorillas, bananas, and a beer keg.  47:21 for me, 9:29/mile, more of a tempo run than a race effort, but still a good way to start the day. 6.7 miles total with WU and CD.

Jlynne and Mike- it is so good to hear that your sons are doing well.  And Mike, you do NOT complain too much. 

TomWhite - Claire is a brave girl...

Dave - Well Done!

RunnerKSA - last time I ran the Monkey I could barely limp through our Turkey Trot 4 days later - I think you are doing great.

I have a lot to be grateful for and the last couple of years it seems that struggles with DD have constantly been an emotional drain that sometimes make me lose sight of that.  However, I guess I should be grateful that she hasn't gotten into any trouble at school this year so far, and that my family is healthy and that DH and I both have decent jobs, and that DS is such a joy, and that I have a wonderful group of friends, both here and at home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Morning Everyone.

Per Jay - "I'm grateful for the way DW's and my lives have evolved" That is so spot on.

Good racing Dave and Holly. Good luck Jay.

I'm glad things are looking brighter for your DD Karen, It was great to finally meet her in person last week. Nice 6.3 after Monkey too.

No idea Mike. I just keep the tv on the whole day using picture in picture and hope to see some.

Ran a 5k this morning. Usually don't but this one donates all proceeds to buy AED's for placement with law enforcement and throughout the community. So I headed out in 26 degrees to run the 2.5 miles from home to the start. Was a good warm up. Managed a 21:19 for 1AG. Saw lots of friends from the runners club. Chatted a bit and ran home. Good start to the day.

Enjoy the time with loved one's and Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Quickadder

Daylight 5.3 easy miles this morning with DD.

Thankful that my decision in 2001 to uproot myself and move 4500 miles for a new life with a new wife and a ready made family has worked out so well. Now live next door to DD and family and will be joining them for Dinner later. I’m tasked with preparing glazed carrots 🥕 and making an apple 🍎 pie.

Happy Thanksgiving ya’ll.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

...actually

I got in  90-min yesterday

since I figured I'd be doing good to get 30-min today......

.......Happy ThanksGiving and Safe Travels.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Norm.  She enjoyed meeting you, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Ran a 4 mile Turkey Trot on a sunny crisp morning (30 degrees) with almost 3000 of our nearest and dearest (actually we only saw one friend) -the Gobble, Gobble, Gobble. Marj finished AG 1/11 and I finished 2/2.

catwhoorg

Labrat

14 miles on the TM whilst supervising the turkey cooking in our air fryer.

Run 3-4, hop off check everything, repeat. Out the lid on to brown it and hit the shower.

Have the 4 of us. Sister in law, 3 of her kids (all the girls) and a friend from my work (also female) Baby boy and I are heavily outnumbered.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Happy Thanksgiving Friends!!

Ran 2.1 solo Boston miles before work today. Miss being at the Feaster Five with my running friends, but enjoying the day on the labor floor with my co-workers!!

Life is always better when those pesky

humans we raised are doing ok!!

Thankful my men are having dinner with our family and my belly is filled with all he wonderful food we brought in to work!!

denise