Masters Running

Thursday, 10/29 Runs, Rests and Updates (Read 378 times)

dg.

Aamos thanks.   consdier me tickled.  Smile

I hope your ... let's just say next few months (to avoid certain evil words) is much different than it was last year. 

mta, lamerunner, good news about your foot.

Sarge, I wasnt' sure how to handle that either.  I knew, water with gu, but not how long to wait for the next gatorade fix.   ....... they had buckeyes toward the end of the course in Columbus.   tried one, immediately realized it was a mistake.   9Not the kind that grows on trees.  ;-) )

evanflein

What are buckeyes? Like chestnuts? I know all about those leaf-covered irregularities. That's the Equinox trail... leaves mainly over roots, add rain and have fun!

Amy, that was a wonderful clip. Thanks so much! I sent it to my boss. We're always thinking about "culture change" to encourage wellness and activity and to help our employees make better choices. The focus has been on making the healthy choice the easier choice. I think we need to increase the FUN element, too!

Carolyn, I wouldn't run in just tire tracks. I've tried that. The middle is packed pretty well, but the edges aren't and you slip off the sides. It sucks. Makes for a staggering, drunken gait. Get to the plowed road so you don't strain or pull something! I've been running on the treadmill this week (ok, twice) but might venture out to our bikepath this weekend if it's been plowed. We've only had 5" so I'm not going to complain, at least while Carolyn is around. Our snow is behind schedule though, usually we have it about Oct. 8, so I've really enjoyed this exceptionally nice October we've had.

PDR, that is one very cute baby. Tell dawndaughter she's looking very nice, too.

Nice run, Jlynne. Good thing you're taking care of yourself at this stressful time. Grandma's gotta be in good shape to snuggle and cuddle that baby when he gets out, you know! Thanks for the updates. I bet it's hard seeing him all wired up, but it's all part of the journey.

Hey Mary! Early congrats on the 100 mile month! I'm sure you'll have no problem, you do have 2 more days to go!

dg, thanks so much.  You're good to remember. 

In fact, when D. went off to Sioux Falls last year for his ICD implant (it was the weekend after the NYC Marathon, so almost exactly a year ago), we had a Huge snowstorm--first of the year, and of course the shovel was in the NOT-attached to the house garage and the winds blew the snow up against the door so Frank and I were most fortunate he's a skinny dog who could squeeze out of the very narrow opening we had to outside!

With our recent snowy forecast, we've been thinking of all that--and coincedentally, a colleague's husband just got his new ICD 3 days ago, on Monday.

We're for true in a much better place than we were last year (although we still would refuse a pin from D's cardio as a reward when his ICD fires ).  Lots of thanks to everyone here for all you all did to help us out at a dark time. 

Really, heartfelt  thanks.  This is a genuine group of people and I'm grateful to be a little part of things here.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hey Mary! Early congrats on the 100 mile month! I'm sure you'll have no problem, you do have 2 more days to go!

Technically, this is true, but DH is wisking me away to a Bed and Breakfast up in the Traverse City area (Hi Steve!) so I won't be running again until Sunday eve.     He won't even tell me where we are going exactly ....it is a surprise.

We call those big green things Black Walnuts around here.    Don't park your car under one of those trees either.   We used to have one right next to our driveway ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Who knows about the FIRST program ? that might be an approach worth considerng for a bit.

Breger - you want to weigh in on this?

Aamos - that was so cute!  Thanks for the tickle. 

Dg - yes, the leaves and such, along with the darkness, have kept me off the river trail of late.  I've resumed my winter routine of running laps on residential streets.  But the river trail is so much more pleasant, and the cracks in the asphalt of the mostly-poorly-lit streets may not be much safer.

BTW, I e-mailed Enke, and told her we missed her, and she said that, due to medical problems, she hadn't been able to run at all.  She misses running so much that it's too hard for her to come here and hear about ours. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jlynne, I was happy to hear things are going well for Will.  Also, it was an encouraging link that teresa posted.  An article like that has to make Will's parents, and grandma, feel encouraged.  PDR, thanks for the picture of Nate.  PBJ, when you mentioned AT problems yesterday, I got nervous as I've had that a couple of times and didn't back off running right away.  I paid for it both times and was glad to hear you took today off.  Don't rush it.  hopeful, when you said you wanted to run 3 miles tomorrow to hit 100 for the month, I thought of our weather report and that I was glad tomorrow is a non running day for me.  I was going to suggest you do your run Saturday but then you said you and mrhopeful were going to  a B&B near TC.  Maybe being tough tomorrow morning is the way to go.  Good luck.

This morning, it was about 50° and calm, nice running weather.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:59 for a 9:55 pace.  A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

Aamos you're welcome, but how could I forget??  Your very own town headlined the Weather Channel .... just about forever.   And knowing what was going on with you all, it definitely tapped some of my few remaining memory cells.      Almost a year, wow.    Look how far he's come!!!!    huge hugs for both of you. 

... I agree with you about this group.  .. me too.

Mary, cool!  have a wonderful time & take pictures.

Holly,  I don't even like to run on them when it's light.      Am glad you emailed Enke, but that is so sad.  She's really had a tough time, it just stinks.

TomS, another great run!

As long as we're thanking folks, thank you all so much for all your waay too nice comments on my RR!!!!   I was going to comment on the thead but waitied too long, silly to bump it now.  And there's far too much to answer individually, although I'd like to.   You made my day(s), & made me smile.    Also,  thanks again for all the help & cheer on the pre-race thread.   (thanks Mary).    You really are the best.

Tramps

Mary--nice progression run to get us started!  Triple digits--woo hoo!

Sarge--that's improvement on the foot, right?  Now that you mention it, I'm due for some cheesecake.

PBJ--Bully for Jr.!

Lyndenrunner--nice to have you pop in.

Holly--a blind referee?! I like it.  Is that a commentary on the just-completed season?

Wildchild--wow; that's a lot of snow for October.

Aamos--what a difference a year makes.    Those stairs were cute but you've got to wonder about the poor vendors nearby who have to listen to this all day! 

Early meeting today, so I couldn't do my MLR; I'll do it tomorrow.  Instead, late in the afternoon, I did the easy 5-mile run originally scheduled for tomorrow.   Which I think means I'm already recovered from tomorrow's run.

Be safe. Be kind.

4.56 miles in my new red birthday running skirt, topped by my Amica marathon shirt layered under my newly arrived Marathon Maniac singlet.  I felt like a bit of a fraud only running 4 miles in that getup.

Having grown up in Wisconsin (Hi, JLynne!), I do like snow.  But we rarely get it around here anymore.

Aamos - a year does make a huge difference.  Especially with a good dose of positive attitude on top of excellent medical care.

Have fun, Mary. That sounds very romantic.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Great shot of the baby and Mom, PDR.

5 easy,  49:16, just the normal aches-n-pains.

I'm paying the price for playing hooky last weekend (running instead of working)....Saturday I have some clients moving back  into their recently remodeled house, and I'm sure they'd appreciate a handrail for their staircase (they have three kids)

Back into the shop,

Walt

I finally managed to get a run in ! Its been so busy at work that my hour and a half I usually get at 2:30 just didn't happen for the last few days. My big construction project is almost complete though so things should start slowing down a little for me in the near future.

3.2 miles at the gym and then triceps, shoulders and core work for 30 minutes.

Jlynne

So glad to hear that baby Will is OK and on the mend. My niece had a heart sugery right after birth and came through very well. She is now married and has 2 of her own. I remember my brother telling me how amazed he was when he walked in the heart surgeons office and seen all the other kids with heart issues, he thought they were all alone but soon realized that was not true, Good luck.

Wildchid,

Ok you win the early snow contest. I really didn't want to win anyway.

Mary,

Congrats on a great month whether you get to 100  or not ! I hope I can use your coat tails to get my milage back up next month.

Buckeyes

Ya gotta watch out for those guys for sure. They are tough but luckily a wolverines favorite snack.

Great runs everyone

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

SteveP

Nate is too kewl!!!!!

This forum may have exceeded a cuteness quotient coefficient..Or maybe I'm thinking of coho fishin..

How many miles does Brinkley have??? There's a bed and brakfast right next to us Mary. Tag will be the one in the hunter's orange shirt. I'll be in the Batman shirt.

It's good to see Gordon posting.

I finally got a vehicle that suits the household needs....Tag and I have since hit more trails. Tonight we went down his favorite one...Lots of leaves. Kinda like running through an fall snow globe. Was kewl. Lots of hazards were lurking.  Tag was in his hunter's orange and on a leash. bummed him out. Every time we came across fresh critter tracks, he wanted to bolt. We did see a deer carcass. The dog really really wanted it. Most likely, it got hit by a car and wandered into the woods.

When we got to the part of the trail that leads to the creek, Tag really pulled. The water is too cold for him to wade in though. I know he thinks I'm a mean dad, however, on the second loop, there were some people tracks over ours.

SteveP

dg.

Nate is too kewl!!!!!

This forum may have exceeded a cuteness quotient coefficient..Or maybe I'm thinking of coho fishin..

How many miles does Brinkley have??? There's a bed and brakfast right next to us Mary. Tag will be the one in the hunter's orange shirt. I'll be in the Batman shirt.

It's good to see Gordon posting.

I finally got a vehicle that suits the household needs....Tag and I have since hit more trails. Tonight we went down his favorite one...Lots of leaves. Kinda like running through an fall snow globe. Was kewl. Lots of hazards were lurking.  Tag was in his hunter's orange and on a leash. bummed him out. Every time we came across fresh critter tracks, he wanted to bolt. We did see a deer carcass. The dog really really wanted it. Most likely, it got hit by a car and wandered into the woods.

When we got to the part of the trail that leads to the creek, Tag really pulled. The water is too cold for him to wade in though. I know he thinks I'm a mean dad, however, on the second loop, there were some people tracks over ours.

actually, Steve... he did send me an e-mail.   I remained noncommittal... thought the 2 of you should work it out.

cool you got a vehicle!..   have you had any lingering aches or anything from that incident?

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, I hope you make 100 miles for the month!  I just passed 100 miles the day before the snow hit, so I don't mind so much not being able to run. And your DH is sweet to take you on a mystery B&B getaway.

Sarge, glad your foot is  better. Mine is too, probably because of two days off.  We went on a family vacation to Oregon several years ago, and I'd recommend a visit to Crater Lake if you go.

I like the Teddy Roosevelt and blind referee costume ideas!

Sue, how was the MCM?

PDR, I loved yesterday's pic of baby Nate!  He's getting so big!  I'd love a pic of you in your new red running skirt and MM singlet - sounds like a colorful outfit! And no way you're a fraud, even if you only ran 4 miles. You earned those shirts! Love your new avatar, by the way.

Aamos, I loved the video clip!  If there was a way to make running more fun, would more people do it?

Sorry to hear Enke is still not running.  Holly, tell her we miss her!

TomS, nice 12 miler today!

Sorry I've been whining about the snow.  It's actually really pretty, and working at home has been great.  DD's school was closed again today, but will probably be open tomorrow so we'll be back to work and school.  DD and I took the dogs for a walk up to the top of the hill where I left my car on Tuesday night. We passed  our neighbor out plowing (yay!) so we shoveled off the car and drove it down to the house.  We park the car up there when our road's really bad, because the county  plows from that point on, but it's a long walk early in the morning (0.7 miles uphill) so it's nicer to have the car at the house if we can.  And if we get stuck in the driveway, another day at home would be OK with me!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Aamos - loved the link. Maybe everyone should have piano keys on their steps. I'm going to talk to our principal about installing them at our high school. I clearly remember last year, and thinking that you guys had so much going on and then the weather turned bad on you besides. So glad your DH is back running and enjoying life.

Steve - I don't know what to say. Your posts always make me feel

Mary - how romantic. A bed and breakfast weekend. Just don't come back pregnant, OK???

PDR - where were you originally from in Wisconsin? I knew you were special!

OKAY EVERYONE ONLY INTERESTED IN WILL UPDATES

Will had a bad night last night. The attendings on duty tried to pull his breathing tube, thinking that would stimulate his efforts to breath on his own and wake him  up. Well, in true Will fashion, he decided to show his spirit by not breathing at all. My DIL said he turned blue while she was holding him. They put a lot of caffeine in his IV, and another drug to stimulate breathing, and he was okay. But then he had to do it again for dad, and had another attack of apnea. The doctors finally got all of his meds regulated, reintubated him, and he's back on track. God bless those kids for dealing with all of this. Will is holding his own this evening but definitely not out of the woods yet. I'm driving to Milwaukee tomorrow. I just want picures of Will with a pumpkin, like little Nate...