Masters Running

Tuesday 10/10 Daily From Down Under (Read 41 times)

Heh, heh, heh, not even coastwalker can beat out the international date line! Yep it is late Tuesday for me down here in Melbourne. If you are posting here and it is still your Monday you are in the wrong thread!  Man is this fun! I asked DW if being a day ahead we could find out what happened in the stock market tomorrow so we could trade on it today which would be our yesterday. She insisted it did not work that way.  Oh well, on to plan B. Now about running. I ran 10 miles yesterday and here is the relive video along with a few pictures I took along the way if you want to see the route. There is some backtracking as I got lost a few times. My original plan was 9 miles. A mile of getting lost is pretty good for me. Just ask my DW who refuses to ever follow me on any untested routes! https://www.relive.cc/view/g14776528741

coastwalker getting an AG award while "slowing down" means you are pretty dang quick! You are too, I have seen you go. As for chili I will pit this recipe for it from Guy Fieri http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/64641494/texas-chili/ along with his beer cheese recipe to top it with http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/64641492/beer-cheese-sauce/ agains any chili recipe out there! All I can say is give it a try.

mrrun I hope you got your power back.

SPUNKY57 congratulations on the AG award! See comment below about running in the rain. You are clearly a serial breaker of rule #1.

Opus77 grading, one of my favorite activities.  My sympathies.  That is one strong team you coach!

HopesMom yes, there is a rule and good and wise of you for not breaking it! You too StarrRuns.

tom1961 welcome to the forum! I hope your back feels better soon. I can certainly sympathise. I have a weak back and when it goes it hurts like a <fill in favorite expletive>.

Mike E I looked at last year's finishing times at the Melbourne Marathon. Boy I wish I could run your kind of speed. I might snag first. Instead I will be lucky to snag 201. 

Holly S. my view is that if there is no money or AG or other prize at stake it does not matter who does what during a race. If I place 197 instead of 196 who cares? As for the runner, if it makes him feel better to have been flown by jet to the finish it is all the same to me. Again, so long as nothing is at stake. That means no BQ, no AG award, no prize money, nothing other than the guy's own finish time. He can believe what he likes about what it means. One of my favorite sayings is "No harm, no foul."

Mariposai glad you can run smoke free again. Also I hear that with your commute now being cut by over 2/3 you will have lots more time to run! 

spacityrunner there are no prizes for the fastest training run! Heck. for most of us there are no prizes for our PR race times in an actual race either! Just good you can go out and run.

I know we have some people here that have apparently not read the runner's rule book of running rules. But you do not have to go far to find rule #1, You know it is #1 because it is the first rule in a book of nothing but rules so that means it comes early in the book. First in fact. Okay, here it is, "No running in the rain!"© Now there is a sub clause with exceptions for target and relay races. But that is it. Well other than the other subclause that says if you go out and it is not raining and while on your route it starts raining you can finish your run. I think that is like a sympathy clause. Put in since you did not deliberately try to break the rule but mother nature did you in. You know there has to be some leeway for that.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' Twocat, and everyone yet to rise/post.

Monday’s workouts:
      RunnerKSA (sucked it up for 5.8 warm, rainy morning miles in the Poconos)
      Spunky57 (4 EZ morning recover miles after Sunday’s Prairie Fire Half, earning 2nd, AG!)
      Pfriese (9 EZ morning miles ‘round town)
      Tomwhite (40 min PoolRun with letters)
      Tramps (PT exercises)
      Mike (10 miles, including 4 mile team fartlek workout + 3 strength miles, ½ recover, 1 strength, and 1.5 mi. c/d)

Mariposai (5 fun post-work miles with DH)

Spacityrunner (4 evening trail miles with a fast guest and the trail gang)

Nice running yesterday, Twocat, whatever day it is wherever you are. Thanks for the chili and beer cheese (?) recipes. Enjoy Melbourne!

Sorry about the power losses and rain all around.

Nice meet-ups, KSA.

Congrats on the great job at Prairie Fire, Spunky57 - well done!

Happy Birthday to Opus77’s DS and Spunky57’s DGS!

Sounds like a great job by your XC team, Opus77 - congrats to you and them.

Holly, I agree with Opus that anyone who receives help on the course should be able to get an unofficial finishing time but should also be disqualified from any awards consideration. Otherwise, it is not fair to everyone who completes the race on their own. We don’t know the reason for that runner needing help, and I’d rather err on the side of being sympathetic rather than hard, as long as it doesn’t materially affect any of the other runners. I always remind myself that it is a race - not life or death. (I always have a glass of wine (or 2) the night before my races as a reminder to not take them seriously, but not too seriously.)

4.9 RW miles this morning in 66° muggy, breezy weather. We're supposed to get some cooler, drier air coming in later today, and I sure am looking forward to that!

Have a greta Tuesday (if it really is Tuesday...)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

5.1 miles before my flight to Chicago.  Got home from PA at 9 last night and had to re-pack, assure the animals that we had not abandoned them, and get ready for this legal conference.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Ran around 4 yesterday passing Fenway Park  and Tufts 10K runners .  Couldn't find any of my friends running it.

Power came on - tree fell down 2 streets over and it took 2 - 4 hours for everyone to be restored.

there's a reason for Rule #1 - our shoes are still wet from Sunday's race - which was dry for one mile only.

To the birthday greetings, add Happy Birthday Liz (spacity)!!!

Happy running/walking/swimming - any sort of activity!

marj

Quickadder

Another 5am outing with DD. Dew point 74 and 99% humidity again - must be October somewhere. DD ran 10K easy and I added in some strides to finish with 7.2 miles. It started raining 10 minutes after we finished.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tramps

I've got Quickadder's weather.

I ran 2.5 miles in my first attempt at a non-stop run since the knee injuries. It's something.

ETA: Holly-- I'm with others; if it doesn't involve AG medal it's no big deal.  You never know what the back story to this might be.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

I've got Quickadder's weather.

I ran 2.5 miles in my first attempt at a non-stop run since the knee injuries. It's something.

This makes me happy.

Good Tuesday morning everyone and good Wednesday twocat.

First day at work in our new office.  Wow, moving an agency's office is a monster. No running yet, but I am planning on 8 after work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning masters. I've been a non-poster for quite a while, though I have been checking in every now and then to read what y'all have been up to. It was a rough summer. Some tough family issues and a cataract surgery which didn't go as planned and  has really affected my balance. Still working on that because it's really wreaking havoc with my running, yoga and other stuff.

It's been great to read the backgrounds of all the new folks that have been posting lately, and nice to hear that Mr. Starr is doing well. The Vikings? Well, sorry - that's something I can't help you with!

Have a great time in the land down under Twocat!

Nice non-stop run this morning Tramps.

Safe travels to Chicago RunnerKSA.

Keep up the good work Jay

5 miles this morning in 42° with clear skies and a wonderful bright moon smiling down on me.

Dave59

I haven't been able to keep up very well. I had a pretty big software install on Friday that went reasonable well. I did spend some of Friday and Monday making adjustments to some things. No matter how much you test, until you have a few hundred people processing thousands of medical claims, you never can guess what weird type of scenario can come up.

I managed 3 miles on the gym treadmill yesterday and 3 in the neighborhood this morning. Just trying to fit something in, still get my work done, and not ignore our guests.

My daughter and son-in-law from Illinois are visiting this week. I'll be taking time off work this afternoon, tomorrow afternoon, and all day Thursday so I can hang out with them.  They will be leaving on Friday.

Twocat - Last I read around here I thought the trip to Australia was off. Glad to see you went and will be running. Just the talks are off?

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - are you upside down now?

Jlynne - hiyah!

RunnerKSA - you do travel a lot.

Yesterday's question was not meant to be a judgment either way, I had just never thought about it before DH brought it up, and I was curious what others thought about it.

No run for me today - I decided another day of rest would be good.  I am mostly unscathed from the marathon (other than overall stiffness) but feeling some left calf pain.  Just some light core and upper body weights today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...G'Day twocat//.........enjoy your Adventure.......

============

having Run in

Snow, Hail, Sleet,  Thunder, and Lightning

(hey,

I never claimed

to be That Smart)

it's aggravating

to be Whistled out of the pool for ThunderBoomers

...30-min PoolRunnus Interuptus..........with lettuce......

.......good Running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Glad you are recovering well, Holly.  It seems like back in the day I would always get sick after a marathon.  I think I was just so depleted....

My business travel is not extensive.  I would call it moderate- at least compared to some jobs I've had in the past.  You dump in personal trips and it all seems like too much, frankly.  My Octobers have always been bad.  Conferences, Kona a couple of years with my son, races for me..... I'm ready to be home.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

elizabethnyc

Hi everyone,

I'm joining you as another new person coming over from the RW Masters Forum, and look forward to getting to know you folks and hearing/reading more about your running and racing!

I've been drowning at work the last month or so, so very little running, but things are back to a manageable level now, so will be picking back up on the exercise front.  Today will be 3 miles or so, outside since we're in a gorgeous stretch of fall weather (I'm in VT, so foliage season is wonderful - but ex-NYC gal hence my screen name and photo).

Ciao for now, and good running today to you all,

Elizabeth

<form>

Upcoming races:

14October:  Shelburne Farms 5k

25November:  Jingle Jog 5k

9December:  NYRR Ted Corbitt 15k

</form>

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mornin' everyone new and old.

RAINY RUNNING - glad so many were able to persevere through their raining running. Not me.
                              In fact, contrary to the prognostications for the past three weeks, this morning’s five miles being as dry as the last four months has me worrying if my lifelong membership in the Rainy Day Running Club has been revoked by disuse. Same forecast of rain for later today but I doubt it.
                              RULES
                              Holly - the current IM rule book is now 28 pages.  
                              When it used to require “shoes and shirt on the bike and run courses” (now only shirt), the notorious Rules Chief blocked my finish at the 2005 IMCdA demanding to know, “where are your shoes?”  Fortunately, he let me through when I provided a legalistic answer prepared beforehand that, though I wasn’t wearing them, I did have shoes as required by the rules in my fanny pack. Fortunately, he didn’t check to see they were the flipflops I usually wear in ultras and other trail races.   

Speaking of IM’s, today is Oct 10 and the 30th anniversary of my one-and-only IMH in Kona, Hawaii in 1987. I don't follow many running rules that much  <<<(no.1/no.1)>>> but this post is  proof of one I don't mind.  It's from IM founder Jim Collins:
                              . . . “Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112, run 26.2:
                              . . . . Brag for the rest of your life.”
                              I got to run a bit of that marathon with then 57-yo Sister Madonna who, now 30 years later, just won her solo age group in the 2017 National Triathlon Championships in Omaha that also featured KSA’s DD’s PR.
                              This Saturday’s 40th annual IMH includes Julie Moss, whose famed second place, “anything-is-possible,” crawl-to-the-finish featured on Jim McKay’s Wide-World-of-Sports in 1982 is still an inspiration to many.*  Her autograph on that year’s t-shirt makes it one of many I couldn’t part with when culling though my running career accumulation this summer. Yep, I wore it for today’s five miler.  Yippee.
                              See e.g., one runner’s bloody finish in last month’s Tunnel Marathon many of us have run.
                              https://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/this-woman-literally-rolled-her-way-to-a-bq-time-after-collapsing
                              \
                              INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE
                              ps twocat - love the relive videos.
                              pps - when I was over here and my DD was being born in Japan, I announced to everyone who would listen, . . . I mean, anyone I could corner that “I’m 100% sure we’ll have baby daughter tomorrow!”  Maybe MikeE too.

it is a race - not life or death.

which, unfortunately, was the case for a friend who, at age 74, collapsed and died within sight of the finish line at the 2002 U.S. National Duathlon Championships.  Otherwise, it would have been his fourth AG win.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi Friends! It was 27 degrees real feel and like 20 mph wind. I plan 5 miles after work.

About the runner being carried through finish line...On Sunday I noticed several people who walked most of a Marathon on Sunday and finished in well under 4 hours. Now someone may be able to do that, but these folks were clearly not in shape to do a marathon in under 4 hours. That makes me raise my eyebrows. It would be different if one of those prevented me from receiving an award, but for the most part, I think cheaters are only cheating themselves. I err on the side of being too merciful, but I wouldn't let the runner being carried receive anything official except a finishers medal. I saw a video the other day about a girl who couldn't even crawl so she rolled across the finish like. That's admirable!

TWOCAT - Enjoyed the video. DW missed out by not going with you.

COASTWALKER - Thank you. I agree with you and OPUS about the runner being carried across.

OPUS - Thank you for checking on George for me.

STARR - I feel your pain about the cut offs. Our church does a lot of helping people out during tough times. Have to use a lot of discernment.

Tetsjin - You had an interesting post.

TRAMPS - Congratulations on the 2.5 post surgery!

I'll try to get back here later. Blessings All, Spunky