Masters Running

Wednesdilly, May 4, 2022 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I dunno if I've had Covid or not: I've been shot and boosted. The few times I've been tested (mostly the home variety), it was always negative. Haven't had an antibodies test since near the beginning of this thing. So if I've had it, I was asymptomatic. I was surprised to see that my upcoming surgery does not require a Covid test beforehand. I saw a story this morning about UV-C light bulbs that supposedly kill most bacteria in the air while having no effect at all on people - if true, they can protect us a lot more in indoor spaces from Covid, flu, etc.

I got out for 5.2 EZ predawn walking miles in 46° temps under overcast skies before today's day-long rain moves in. This was day #730, so 2 years of racewalking/walking at least a mile (averaging just over 5) every day, with all but maybe half a dozen being outdoors.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Planet Fitness for some weight stuff this morning. I went an hour earlier than usual and there was a slightly different crowd.  But not as crowded. 

As I was getting signed on to work, I knocked over a full glass of water on my desk. Somehow, the water missed all the electronic stuff. Amazing.

Good morning Masters!!

5.2 run, .6 mile walk - mostly dry with just a little drizzle. Time to stretch, core and strength then pack up stuff to move back to the house;

Happy Wednesday!!

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

As I was getting signed on to work, I knocked over a full glass of water on my desk. Somehow, the water missed all the electronic stuff. Amazing.

I'd count the day as a win and go do something more fun. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

61°

4.1 fitness walking miles with the good old rocket scientist. Although. He was really just a NASA aerospace engineer. And since he retired... He has transitioned from Dr Buehrle to Pops.

And he is happy.

After reading this past weekend's forum, I need to acknowledge Nancy Mariposa's post. Thank you for sharing your diagnosis and for sharing the good news of your healing. My prayer for you is continuing recovery and good health.

Dave. Congratulations on the keyboard save. The little victories are worth celebrating.

Be well, dear masters

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh. And antibodies.

I have been vaccinated with Moderna and had one booster.

When I gave blood on 31 March, the Red Cross had been testing blood donations for antibodies. A result of "reactive " means the blood has antibodies.

My blood was "reactive +"

A reactive + result means my blood has enough antibodies to be used for convalescent plasma.

I didn't even know I had had covid19. Although I have been sick at various times in the past few years. Apparently I did not test when I should have.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Thanks, Jay, and super congratulations on the streak.  I can appreciate what that takes, especially with almost all of it outside and with your weather!

Dave- boo on the water but glad it avoided the electronics.

4.7 outside miles that felt terrible.  Delayed reaction from the booster?  Just tired?  Oh well.  I did it.    Lunch with a former co-worker who promises she has a list of all the horror since my departure!  She's about to retire but having a little trouble walking away from the $$$.

Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Oh. And antibodies.

I have been vaccinated with Moderna and had one booster.

When I gave blood on 31 March, the Red Cross had been testing blood donations for antibodies. A result of "reactive " means the blood has antibodies.

My blood was "reactive +"

A reactive + result means my blood has enough antibodies to be used for convalescent plasma.

I didn't even know I had had covid19. Although I have been sick at various times in the past few years. Apparently I did not test when I should have.

which raises a question I've had (and not researched   ), but is there a difference between antibodies generated by vaccine and those by actually having covid?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Jay.

5 mile run in the gray, misty morning.

ETA

which raises a question I've had (and not researched   ), but is there a difference between antibodies generated by vaccine and those by actually having covid?

I'm told  by my in-house expert that, yes, there is a difference and there are tests for each.

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Stumpy.  I don't know.

Butt.

I am pretty sure I had it last September. I was sick with symptoms that were vague and odd.

Went to Urgent Care and the PA told me I probably had an endocrine tumor of some kind.

My friend, who is an MD, said "Why was she looking for a zebra?"

And she added, "She should have tested you for covid19. As the virus mutates, you can present with odd symptoms."

My endocrinologist said she doesn't see evidence of a tumor.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Fly by for now, back later, but for the time being, here is this....

May be a cartoon of text that says 'IS IT OKAY το CROSS? YEAH, SURE, WHATEVER... SPUDCOMICS.COM 2012 LONNIE EASTERLING IF SEEING-EYE CATS WERE A THING'

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Congratulations 720-day Jay and have fun tomorrow which you will if, contrary to my Dr. Quack eye surgeon last February, you get a friendly doctor for the mesh implants with a supportive staff,  . . all the way to wheelchairing to the car (and likely end to the current streak).. I've never heard of an antibodies test but my only COVID test was to make sure I was negative for the surgery.

Murray - though you casually mentioned it yesterday, already upping your weekly running to 40 miles, especially in only three runs per week, is very impressive even for an experienced runner.  In fact, the only time I ever made the 40-mile Club was when a race event took me that far. Good luck.

Cloudy 47F but no rain (yet) for 2.5 miles down at the rabbit park (nee Lakeside Park but too little lakeside to deserve it).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Murray - though you casually mentioned it yesterday, already upping your weekly running to 40 miles, especially in only three runs per week, is very impressive even for an experienced runner.  In fact, the only time I ever made the 40-mile Club was when a race event took me that far. Good luck.

Hi Tet,

I've got a half Marathon race coming up in early June that is a good motivator. It goes 1,300' up, down 850', up 1,700', then down to the start/finish. Looks like there's about 100 metres of flat ground between the two hills 

Was supposed to be at 50K in two weeks according to the plan I was working since about January, but there was a hiccup about a month ago where things had to be worked back a bit. Now adding 10% per week again, but will have to taper before the race. More than 2/3 of that running is at an easy breathing pace.

With luck, health, and continued motivation (all three in a constant state of flux) I should hit the 50K goal sometime in July or August...maybe.

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

We have our best day on tap today - sunny, low 80's. And I can't run! We have our monthly corvette club meeting this evening which normally I don't attend but my DH does. But I'm helping do some of the planning for a large event we are hosting this summer and tonight's meeting will be focused on that, so I guess I should be there. Plus, some friends of ours just bought a corvette so they are attending as guests of ours. another reason I should be there.   But why couldn't today be rainy? that comes tomorrow and lasts through the beginning of next week.

meeting in about an hour with my DH and a consult with a radiation oncologist. Not sure what to expect from that. Guess we'll learn a lot for sure.

60+ Funniest Hump Day Memes to Survive Wednesdays | Funny wednesday memes,  Happy hump day meme, Funny hump day memes

Tammy

RCG, I followed the space program from the Sputnik days when equipment was a lot less reliable than today (e.g., the Vanguard program). What I noticed is that if the rocket made it to orbit it was called a "scientific achievement", but when it blew up on the pad it was an "engineering failure".  I remember one time in the rocket park at the Huntsville center when I took a good look at the business end of the first stage of the Saturn V that they have there and marveled at the complex engineering that obviously went into it. Of course, I'm a bit biased in that regard...

Jay, I meant to mention the other day that your use of the term "Selectmen" is really quite a New England-y thing. I think I first ran into it in some kid's book that I used to read to my DS, and wasn't sure what it meant at first.

FINALLY, I have an actual workout to report! Since the weather outside continues gray, cold, and wet, my road bike is still on the trainer in the basement. My Garmin Edge has the capability to control the resistance on the trainer, and one thing that you can do is to load any ride that's in your Garmin history into the Edge and "re-ride" it on the trainer. I picked a ride that I did in northeast Ohio back in 2015 that I knew was on hilly country roads and did 10 miles of rolling terrain with 870 ft of climbing over that distance. Given my lack of aerobic exercise over the last 4 months it was a very good workout. One other feature is that you have a "virtual pacer" based on the original ride recording, and I'm not surprised to say that my 7-year-younger self kicked my butt out there!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"