Masters Running

Sunday 5 April Runs. etc. (Read 478 times)

Ironic I'd be starting the thread- I've run 3 miles this week, those three on a hotel's treadmill. I've been at a hotel because my youngest daughter, 5, was injured on Friday 27 March and has been in the Pediatric ICU at Albany Medical ever since. She's suffered a severe head trauma: a sculpture fell over onto her at a school event. She was helicoptered to Albany Med's emergency room. The only "procedure" necessary thus far has been an operation to place a shunt (sp?) into one of her ventricular regions into which some blood was seeping. Her Mom and I have been trading off night duty. Ellie is recovering with remarkable speed: she's managed to get her spark and humor back. And although she's on Dr. ordered bed rest, she's anxious to get out and about. Poor thing-she's been bedridden for over a week. I'll have an opportunity to run this afternoon, but honestly feel a little guilty about it. People keep saying "take care of yourself," and I do certainly lean on running to keep my wits about me, but although Ellie seems to be out of the woods, and surrounded by other family members, it seems selfish of me to concern myself with running while my youngest has to stay in bed. Like I said above, She's making remarkable progress, and the support of our families and friends has been heartfelt and reassuring. Please run a mile for her today? I really believe in healing vibes. More later as she improves. We're all cautiously optimistic. Walt MTA: Go Holly!
      Whoops....posted at the same time. Everyone should post here instead. Thank goodness your daughter is on the mend....how scary. We've been wondering where you were. Good vibes to you and your family. Taking care of yourself is critical and important, don't feel guilty about that. Here's hoping the progress continues. I'll run my miles for Ellie today. Karin My first post...... Okay! I'll put on another pot of coffee....I see a few mugs in the sink and someone left half of a bagel on the counter. Everyone must be out and about already. I am running later, but just wanted to say Go Holly as she enters the second hour of her marathon. Good luck to all racers today and CONGRATULATIONS SkipAZ on rocking his 100 mile race and beating all time estimates. Turn off the pot before it gets too low....
      Tramps

I'll have an opportunity to run this afternoon, but honestly feel a little guilty about it. People keep saying "take care of yourself," and I do certainly lean on running to keep my wits about me, but although Ellie seems to be out of the woods, and surrounded by other family members, it seems selfish of me to concern myself with running while my youngest has to stay in bed.
        What do they say on airplanes? Something like, "In the event of a loss of pressure, be sure to place the oxygen mask on yourself before assisting your child." There's a reason for that; don't feel guilty. Scary stuff. I'm glad to hear she's improving. It's a Holly-day today, isn't it? Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

Sunday = 16 miles - 2:19:42 - 8:44 - Avg HR 125 Max HR 136 - Partly Cloudy & 41° YUP today is Holly's day - GO HOLLY!
            Ironic I'd be starting the thread- I've run 3 miles this week, those three on a hotel's treadmill. I've been at a hotel because my youngest daughter, 5, was injured on Friday 27 March and has been in the Pediatric ICU at Albany Medical ever since. She's suffered a severe head trauma: a sculpture fell over onto her at a school event. She was helicoptered to Albany Med's emergency room. The only "procedure" necessary thus far has been an operation to place a shunt (sp?) into one of her ventricular regions into which some blood was seeping. Her Mom and I have been trading off night duty. Ellie is recovering with remarkable speed: she's managed to get her spark and humor back. And although she's on Dr. ordered bed rest, she's anxious to get out and about. Poor thing-she's been bedridden for over a week. Walt
            Thoughts are with your daughter for a speedy recovery. I can only think how messed up I would be if this happened to one of my girls. Take care...and get out for that run...it will help everyone. Planning on an easy 8-10 today which will put me over 90K this week, which will be my biggest week ever...The next 3 weeks will be even bigger as my marathon is less than 7 weeks away...so I expect 100K weeks for the next 3 at least. The interesting thing is that my new coach really piles on the fast stuff and tempo stuff and I am probably running half my k's in the fast zone. I am only running 4-5 times a week though so I am getting or trying to get a lot of rest. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hill Runner

Good morning gang. Walt, that's very scary! ...hope all is OK. GO HOLLY! Woke up late this morning with a slight hangover as we had some friends over last night for some homemade pizza and wines, I almost didn't run this morning. I did my last schedulated 20 miler last week BUT I wasn't happy with the run so I was determined to make amends. I went out planning to do at least 10 and ended up doing 20...felt great. 20.08 miles of hills @ 8:57 pace, just under 3 hours. TAPER TIME! I can't believe that 2 weeks from now I'll be walking around the Expo in Boston. Good runs to everyone today, especially Holly.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I agree Walt, especially now that your daughter is on the mend, it's find to run a bit. That sounds incredibly scary, though.
                Sunday = 16 miles - 2:19:42 - 8:44 - Avg HR 125 Max HR 136
                Hi, MR -- Nice run. While my HR was a bit higher (as we all know you can't really compare individual HRs) our pace was similar. (Not that there's any competition here Smile ) Congratulations, Skip! Go Holly! My run this morning was a good confidence builder. I was wondering how it would go with legs a bit tired from yesterday's tempo, but I was fine. 16.2 miles, 2:19:04, 8:34/mi, AHR 149 (76% MHR) 5@9:10(138), 6@8:41(146), 5.22@7:53(162) all splits: 9:15(150), 9:08(136), 9:17(134), 9:03(141), 9:06(141) 8:50(143), 8:51(146), 8:46(141), 8:34(146), 8:34(148), 8:32(153) 8:09(157), 8:04(160), 7:58(162), 7:46(163), 7:36(166), 1:36(167) [0.22=7:16] I have a head cold, but my nose didn't run much during the run. I'm sneezing and nose is running now though. Time for some more sudafed. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

Take care of yourself Walt. Thanks for letting us know. Sounds positive at this point but it must be tough on all of you. I hope Holly has a great race. She has trained well, and today may be her day. Wonderful news about Skip. Hard enough to run a distance like that but to do it way ahead of predicted time is awesome. Ten miles for me today, eleven for the Saint. Pretty happy with my run, as the first 8 were at easy pace and the last two slow. More and more of my miles are fitting into the "easy" category, which is a notch up from "slow." I am buried in work. May disappear for a day or two. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Holly: You Go Girl!!! Big grin Walt: I will keep Ellie in my thoughts and prayers today. Hope her recovery continues to go well. Karin: How come no UCONN posts? To bad about the men's team, but the ladies will make up for it today and Tuesday. I have them beating Oklahoma in the final. I did my LR today. 14 miles in 2:16:57-9:47/mi. It was a beautiful morning with plenty of sunshine and a perfect 55 temp. The only bad part was that the tree pollen has been very high this week. My nasal passages were really stuffed up over the first few miles, but they cleared up by about mile three. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Walt best wishes for your daughter & you too! 10 miles w/DW on a beauitful morning, blue skies & 37F at the start, 42 F at the end. Lots of sticks to avoid after the winds of the last 3 days. 4 weeks til our Pittsburgh half, I was shocked to here that terrible news out of Pittsburgh yesterday Cry

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I suspected this would happen: I set out to run and found I had very little energy and no ability whatsoever to concentrate on running. I ran a little over 3 1/2 miles in 30 or so minutes.....then packed it in. I didn't know that it was Holly's marathon day....I hadn't been near a computer all week. Off to the hospital.....there was news of continued progress this morning. Walt
                        Tramps

Why hasn’t Holly posted her RR, yet? Tongue I look forward to hearing how it went. Happy tapering to all the Boston folks! There’s a local guy who comes and takes pictures at most of our races and then puts them on-line for free. I usually hate my pictures but for some reason I kind of like this one. I mentioned in yesterday’s post that I didn’t feel comfortable at all during the race—not terrible, just never in the groove. I thought this photo captured that pretty well. This is the look of discomfort: Today, I slept in and got a late start so it was well into the 60’s; warm and humid. Nice day to be out, though. 5.1 mile trail run. I give these their own category in my log because they’re totally different from running on the road and my trail has ridiculously steep portions that I really have to walk. But it makes for a nice change of pace (literally) from time to time. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Hi everybody. peaking to see if there's any Holly news yet. I hope it went well. Walt, I'm so glad Ellie's making progress. Like has been said, scary stuff!!! I can't even imagine. Poor thing. Poor you! yes, run. give her a hug for me? I ran earlier, but she can have all of my miles. Am sending healing vibes... So many great runs today. Skip, if you're looking in, congratulations. I'll have to go over to KR & read your report. Hoping you didn't get to check out another med tent! MIne was just 8 miles, didn't go quite according to plan but it wasn't too bad. Sleep & nutrition haven't been quite up to snuff lately. 33F, & windy, but the sun came out by the end. ave. pace, 9:40, max 8:07. ahr 0, max 0, so I didn't burn any calories. Miles were 10:53, 9:56, 9:20, 9:10, 9:18, 9:18, 9:36, 9:15, finished at 8:29. I've been making a recovery drink to try to catch that 30 minute window, I figure every little bit helps! Protein powder, pineapple, blueberries, a little yogurt.. Driving home with the relaxed smile you get after a run, I glanced in the mirror & saw blueberry goodness all over my nose. Roll eyes
                              dg, glad to hear your doctor appointment went well. bike, in reference to the AARP card. I was willing to get one when I found it saved me much more on my homeowners insurance than the cost of membership. munch, great job getting in seven miles, and some of it running. Walt, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's accident. I'm glad to hear her recovery is going well. Take care of yourself as you are no good to your family if you are not in good condition yourself. I'm anxious, as are the rest of you, to hear about Holly's marathon. It's great to hear skip did well in his 100 miler. I can't imagine doing that. Tramps, nice race picture. It looks to me like the way dedication and determination should look. Nice long runs for breger, SLO, franc, hopeful, busi, Tall, jlynne, hallar, mari, wildchild, maine, Peter, WRFB, ribs, The Saint, BC, and sarge (with DW). Good job on the speedwork for dg. This morning, it was about 30° and it was almost calm. I got in 8 miles in a little under 1:19 for a 9:50 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Renee the dog

Walt! Holy Crap! Big {{{ }}} to you and your daughter. Trying to contain a 5 yr old. Shocked You have my sympathies. I'll have my 5 yr old say her prayers tonight for Ellie. Tell her she's got a 5 yr friend in NJ who's thinking of her, OK?? Hope the rest of your family is holding up alright too. No run for me this morning. I couldn't sleep last night. Alarm went off and apparently, only my arm and hand woke up to silence it. Don't remember hearing it. Kind of glad I didn't run. In church I think I got an inkling of what's going on with me and my running. I'm not letting the races come to me anymore. I'm forcing them. Oh, I'm getting the job done, but I know I'm forcing the results, and it's not satisfying. It's taking away all the magic, and probably holding me back from an even better performance/result. I'm glad I didn't run yet today, as now I have something to contemplate while out there later.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!