Masters Running

Monday 10/8/18 (Read 37 times)

an amazing likeness

Love the doggies.

Be safe out there, folks. My daughter was hit by a car this morning while she was running. She was crossing (with other pedestrians) with the WALK sign at a busy intersection and a woman came around a bus and ran the red light. The driver wasn't going very fast, fortunately. This happened right near the Vanderbilt medical center where my daughter was taken. They asked her "Which hospital would you like to go to?" Um, the one RIGHT THERE! We got the dreaded call, got to the ER and she was doing pretty well. Very shaken, bruised and scraped. Nothing broken. Got her Garmin stopped as she hit Mile 2 in the ambulance. Driver was ticketed. Not how we wanted to start our day.  We got her home. She will be very sore, but the Motrin has helped a lot.  This is not the kid I get ER calls about.....it's usually the one who rides his bike at 50 mph.

My stomach dropped as I started to read this...then a big, big "whew".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I watched the Chicago Marathon with my DW yesterday afternoon. Interesting race in a lot of ways. New European citizen record too via Sir Mo. Yes, that is what Mo Farah had on his bib. Gotta love medieval titles! I noticed nearly all of the elites (men and women) had on dayglow orange sneakers. Are those the Nike breaking 2 sneakers? I did notice that it was raining through most of the race. Means my blown hamstring stopped me from breaking Rule #1. Just shows there is a higher being with a mean sense of humor. 

Speaking of higher being with a mean sense of humor, DW and I watched the first two episodes of God Friended Me last night. (Yes, a lot of TV for us for one day.) Cute show. I think I am going to like it.

Columbus day is a holiday across what seems like a rather random set of institutions. Some government employees like Falconfixer are off. Others are not. Some people in finance are off like anneb and my DW. The fixed income markets are closed but the stock market is open. Very, very odd.

RunnerKSA glad you DD is going to emerge from this relatively unscathed.

SteveP judging from my SIL's dogs, their rule #1 is running in the rain through the mud is where it is at!

Some progress to report with PT today. I moved my leg higher (meaning a few extra degree bend at the hip). I did some crab walking. That was new! My PT also said she was gong call my surgeon to see about being a little more aggressive with my treatment. At least she thinks I am moving along at a good pace. I told her she now has officially less than a year to get me back into marathon shape for next year's Chicago marathon. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - that is scary!  Glad your DD didn't get hurt worse.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Karen- thanks for the update! I bet she comes up pretty sore tomorrow. I’m glad it wasn’t more serious.

Twocat- sounds like progress at PT continues. Keep it up!

Anne

Joe618

KSA...so sorry!    Glad it was just scrapes and bruises.    Yikes...a good reminder to run defensively.   I find intersections are the worst and sounds like that's where she was clipped.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad it’s just bumps and bruises. True runner 🏃‍♀️ if she was thinking about garmin in the ambulance 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks, everyone.  I still feel scared!   She said she knew she was OK when she was annoyed that the paramedics kept saying "She was out jogging."   The dreaded "j" word.

Got to the gym after work and got changed for my workout and didn't have my running shoes (in the chaos to get out of the house and down to Vanderbilt hospital this morning.....).  So- back home I went and did a slow 2 mile walk/jog on my treadmill and then put the boot back on.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

KSA, I'm so glad your Kira was not seriously hurt - that's scary!

Some of you are complaining about H&H - anyone want my snow??  We only got about 2" so far, and it's not sticking on the roads, but more is predicted overnight and tomorrow.

I had to talk myself into going out - not quite ready for long pants, long sleeves, gloves, jacket and hat, but that's what I wore, and it felt okay once I got out there.  3 miles around the 'hood in 30 degrees with light snow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bioguy

KSA- yikes; glad she's ok.

We had a 1.5 hour delayed start to school due to thick fog. Got caught up on a some grading.

Went o a yoga class and that's all the workout for the day.

Tailwinds!

spacityrunner

I need to get back to my yoga class.  This foster dog is sucking up all my time!

2.3 miles in 29 min.  Sure wish I could go faster.  Maybe someday.

Our cool down is coming...but Carolyn I would love your snow right now.  So.freaking.hot!

Yikes RKSA so glad your daughter is alright and remembered her Garmin :-)

Trails Rock!

Mariposai

{{{{RunnerKSA}}}}}}}}}. What a scary moment. How is your DD today.

Great news about twocat's progress. Ohh, thank you for taking the taking to post our Victoria Marathon progress here. My friend was really touched by the posts.

It looks like we have a great running, and fun weekend activities here. I had a lovely three days get-away to Victoria BC, which included a marathon. A race report coming soon on the weekend race report thread.

It is good to be back home to the warm embrace of my DH, who just got back from a 28 days special vacation with his mama. They took a cruise to Hawaii, which included  visits to the island and a week visit with my MIL's sisters who live in the island.  This trip was my idea and our way to say thanks to the amazing woman who gave  her all for her kids and her family. This was her dream vacation since she was a child. Glad to be able to make her dream come true.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

4 @ 8:15

wow KSA; that's lucky in the unluckyness of things! And can she sue for mental anguish over them calling her a "jogger"?

Hot-ish days and perfect evenings here right now. Beers by the fire pit scheduled for this evening.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

^^^ LOL.    More bruises are coming out.  She's pretty traumatized.     Interestingly, you have to be thoroughly searched as a visitor or family member of someone in the ER.  They went through my whole purse- emptied it out, checked every single compartment.  Metal detector etc.  My daughter chaplains at Vanderbilt once a week and she said it is because they bring gang victims in and they don't want the bad guys coming in with knives or guns.   There were cops sitting outside some of the rooms in the ER that I guess had bad guys or victims.  I went to the cafeteria (in my boot) to get her some coffee and yogurt and to get back in to the ER I had to go through the whole thing again.  They just looked in my purse the 2nd time and didn't take everything out. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

RunnerKSA, glad your DD is ok.

Back in central Alabama....and while I wasn't watching a Hurricane built up in the Gulf.  Headed pretty close to us (last track I saw has it veering east of us) but does mean more than likely we'll HURREVAC (sorry, not yelling; it's our Hurricane Evacuation) out of here on fairly short notice.  Suspect the next few days will be busier than usual.  But also saw lows in the low 50s in a couple of days.  If I'd stayed in Florence it would be upper 40s!  Bliss!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

My stomach dropped as I started to read this...then a big, big "whew".

Yeah--I'm sure it did.  It sounds like she came out a little better than you..."whew" is right.

You know--that incident and the fact that both SubDood and HermosaBoy were not able to complete the Twin Cities Marathon--is a huge reminder that we can never take finishing these things for granted.  I feel so blessed and lucky that I have been able to finish all 61 of my marathons.  And it has nothing to do with being "tough"...those two guys are about the toughest runners you'll ever see...no, it is pure luck.  There have been two or three marathons that, if they had been two weeks earlier or two weeks later, I would have been too sick to run.  I remember driving down to run the Mississippi Blues Marathon and kept getting notifications that they might have to cancel or shorten it because of severe weather in the area.  If I had pulled my hamstring in the first mile of a marathon like I did in a little 2 miler, I would have been done right then.  And, yes--I come close to being hit by a car, at least, a couple times a year.  Oh--and airplanes--I almost missed a flight once which would have ended that marathon trip...and, of course, there's always that possibility that those things will crash.  You just never know what might happen.  My family is already making plans to watch me run my 50th state in Hawaii in March of 2020...I still have 4 more to do before I get to my 50th!  I'm just worried that my luck will run out.  Okay...sorry...I'll stop.

I did 10 miles, today, that included 2 x 3 miles at strength pace with 1 mile in between.  I ended up doing them in 19:05 and 19:23.  I've only got about a month for my body to hold up before my marathon...if it does, I feel like I'll be ready for a good one...unless my plane crashes...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!