Masters Running

Weekly Newbies - all runners welcome - good times here (Read 1591 times)

...RIN//......let me just drop in to give you a WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!

and

follow that up with a reminder:

''you know how you get''

.......Train Smart, Run Smart......

nice running pal.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Beginner all over again

Frances, do you feel like you are a slave to the watch in that program? I would try it but I dont want to have to watch a watch a lot.

What is a "slave to a watch" ? ?   Maybe I am, depends on how you define it.

I don't watch the watch... it beeps.   

I just hear it if I happen to set it off.

Beeps if heart-rate is too fast, or if too slow.  I have a Five-Beat range

Depending on where I am in fitness and pace that day, it seems to alarm me to speed it up...or slow it down.

I'm a Big Fan though

I'm always getting faster, and always going farther. 

Who can beat that kind of Continual Positive Feedback?? 

I love running to Heart Rate... I never over-do it, it's nice !!

Garmin Forerunner 305

Tom, how are you doing? running yet?

Happy. All right. Those are feakin awesome pics and I am coming there to hike with you! Yep you got new england beat and that is hard to do!

Frances, good job! If the program works for you thats all that matters. And it sounds like it works.

Linda, all good! Glad youre running strong. Good luck!

Kevin, still on for the half in Westfield?

Not much runs for me. A 4 miler last week. Pain free. Lots of cycling and swimming and kayaking.

My legs are sore as hell from cycling and DD who talked me into playing a softball game so her team wouldnt have to forfeit. Turned out to be a double header and a week later I am still sore.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

HappyFeat

Laurie: Yaay for a pain free run last week - hope you recover quickly from the softball game.

So you were able to view my Shutterfly album? Some really beautiful scenery here, for sure.

Hearkening back to a few months ago and the topic of leg cramps, I just thought I'd pass on my "report." The deal was that Nobbie alerted me that too much protein can prevent you from getting the calcium you take in and thus cause leg cramps. So I looked up how much protein I should eat and how much I was actually taking in and found that I was waaay overdoing it. For my weight, I should only eat about 60 grams per day, but was eating 100 to 120. So after several months now of cutting down on my protein, I am reporting that I no longer have a problem with leg cramps when I run - and it actually came about really quickly.

My NEW thing to try is regarding dietary fat intake. Someone posted a link to an article from 2008  of a study done on female runners and dietary fat. Apparently the gals in the group that ate 30-36% fat calories per day had the least injury/tendonitis/etc.  This is what I got from it. Sooooo, I'm going to modify MY diet and see if it helps my bursitis....can't hurt as long as I keep my total calories down.

I'm guilty of eating less than 10 gm fat per day (unless I eat sweets or something unusual) and have eaten this way for eons - that's somewhere under 10% per day. I'm sure it keeps my weight down, but it may also have kept my running strength and speed down all these years (per the article) - bums me out when I think about it; but what can ya do - I didn't know. So I'm on about day 5 or so of trying to eat more fat. I've added in a serving of almonds every day (I'm vegetarian) and stopped skimping on the margarine on my baked potato 

Today was NOT  a good food day however. A coworker has started us on a Crunch-and-Munch thing - she and I went through a box a day for the last 3 days - good for increased fat intake, bad in just about every other way! Glad it's Friday and I can make a fresh start.

MTA: This week I ran two 6-milers and did my yoga/pilates religiously - so far, so good.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Rindaroo

Geez I haven't been able to post for awhile now.  The summer months just take a toll on my internet service.. ugh.

TW -  Thanks!!!!  Haven't been able to post at KR at all, or I would've have let you know about my 6 miler there.  Yes I know & thanks for the reminder.  I am in a different mindset, so it seems its easier to pay attention now.  Shockingly, I'm focused on doing things that are good for me now!  Big grin

So this week my calves have been really tight...  I think its due to my lower back.. its weak, and I think that is taking a toll.  So what is the best way to handle that??  Apparently I need crosstraining.. working on my core, abs I guess..  Tuesday was overtired & only able to 1/2 my usual 3 mile route on the hills.. Yesterday I did the 3 mile route and felt great.    In a minute, I'm going to do my yoga dvd.   I think that should help, and then a 4 or 5 miler on flatter ground tomorrow. 

Yep saw your shutterfly link and they are absolutely amazing pics!!!!

Linda, yoga, Yep a good idea. Swimming too might help.

Long kayak today. Got tossed in on the class 4. Darn it.

Hoping to run for the first time post softball pain tomorrow AM.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Pain free 3.5 miles tonight. Stupid run though. I did a sunset run around ashley res alone. Stupid. From now on sunset runs are around the neighborhood and with a partner.

Laurie

HappyFeat

Glad you're home safe Laurie. Know what'cha mean. I turned around sooner than I planned tonight because my route took me by a parking lot for bike trail access and there were about 5 cars with scruffy guys in them, all of whom looked up to NO good and certainly watched me go by. creepy.  Still got my Slow Six in. So far so good with that.

dg.

hi everybody Smile

tw.... good advice to LInda, even though she is on a roll we know how she gets!!    .... well, I guess how most of us get!

Linda, (ok, see here I am posting & there's no way I can catch up!)   .... you're doing so well!!   Remember, we're watching ;-)

I have to make this a little short because I'm at work, & also because I think I might be sick.  and so am more out of it than usual.   Overall things have been going well, I'm pretty much on schedule with my training plan, although because of the time off I'm doing the beginner plan again.  Some runs have been not so great, but a couple went really well, in particular a 14 miler a couple of weeks ago, & Sunday's 11.3.       I think I broke my toe last Wed., so this week is a little iffy, but it's a cutback week anyway. Intervals today but only 3.

ok, warning, way TMI!   & boring me stuff.   but would love some advice. Yesterday I cut my run short because I was really nauseated for the last mile, & it's still on & off...that & dizzy.   And so, just in case this is related to the post surgery things, I thought I'd follow up on things you asked me a while ago.   Happyfeat, what is an intestinal adhesion?    You asked what kind of pain & here's what happens, esp. after too much bending, like weeding, vacuuming. things like that.   I get a metallic taste in my mouth..weird but it happens, my stomach seems swollen, the surgery site is really sore to touch, & I feel like someone is poking me (same spot) with a stick.     But it doesn't usually make me feel sick, it used to, but hasn't for a while.   Linda, do remember anything after your surgery that was like this?      I know, I should go get an MRI, & promised my dad I'd call the doctor, but I don't see what they can do about it.    And I do overall see some improvment.   I cut the grass last night, front & back, & I haven't been able to do that in a while.   That might be why it's so sore today.  

sorry I'm not catching up more on everyone else.   Laurie, I'm glad you had a pain free run!  Happyfeat, be careful.   You know how you get!  ;-)

HappyFeat

dg:  for starters, here's a link that explains intestinal adhesions:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/intestinaladhesions/index.htm

A close friend of mine got intestinal adhesions from spinal surgery where they went in through her abdomen and had to move her intestines around. For some reason, this caused some areas inside her intestines to stick together - eeek! very painful. She did not end up needing surgery to fix it, but was hospitalized several time for possible emergency surgery. The intestines do NOT take kindly to being manhandled.  In the area where my own hernia surgery was done, I think I must have some slight manifestation of that because sometimes I have a sharp pain  there during digestion. 

As for you, (and here is where the Serious Scolding begins) if you haven't gone back to see your surgeon, I cannot urge you strongly enough to do that. This has gone on far too long. Your symptoms do NOT sound normal to me.There could be a wide variety of problems, from something left behind, to a tear of the repair, to a blockage, to an infection, .....I dunno all the possibilities - but you could be taking a serious and undue risk in delaying finding out.  I'm worried about you, dear, and want you to promise to go get checked out ASAP. An MRI might not be necessary...maybe an X-ray or ultrasound.... Talk to the surgeon - go in for an examination.   Pleeeeese? and report back  We care and we don't want you hurting - or taking unnecessary risks, OK?

Deb, my guess is should you be running already? Maybe the running is agrivating it.

Laurie

Rindaroo

Debbie - get yourself to the doctor.  I would say the surgeon actually.  I think this has been going on way too long, and could be a problem that you need to deal with.  Want to, no, but need to, yes.   My surgeon told me that pain in my stomach area was to be my guide...  that I was doing too much if I was feeling pain, and to rest.  So, it is possible that you have been doing too much all along, and just not healing..  or something else.  But PLEASE go get it checked out.   see I'm asking nicely Smile

I have been having trouble posting here... so i really hope this goes through.

I've done yoga a couple of times this week, which feels really great btw..  a 4 mile run at 11:36 last weekend or did I mention  that already?  2  - 3 milers in the hills this week before work.  Its all looking good & have mapped out my training schedule - i changed it a little Big grin

Laurie - good to hear about the painfree run!!

HappyFeat

Still on my every-other-day schedule, this week I ran a 6, 7 and 8 - keeping it slow and steady.

Bums me out to watch my Pace Bunny slip out of reach.

Hoping when I go back to every day running, these longer runs will help me catch up before the end of the year.

Rindaroo

I ran 5 miles yesterday Smile   feels good to be at this point now!
                              dg.

hey guys... just a quickie again.

thanks so much for the various forms (;-)) of , encouragement!    I do think an mri is next, at least that's what the doc said when I saw him w/complaints a long time ago.   erk.  I think I was supposed to call him in a week.  but I was sick of dealing with it, & frustrated with how they'd handled it.  long story & not worth going into.   Anyway, thanks.   Happyfeat, that link is really interesting!  some of it could apply.      I'm glad to read that, because the surgeon kept insisting that nothing along that line could be related to the surgery.     

Laurie, thanks....  I don't really think running bothers it, at least, not as much as other stuff.   And, well, it was in March.  But really thanks, because anything is worth considering!    Hope you're doing ok.

Linda, yay!!!  

Happyfeat..... forget the stupid pace bunny!    well, it's probably  a very nice pace bunny, but Linda & I think he is dangerous.    It's hard enough to back off when we need to!      (of course, do whatever makes you happy.  just be careful!)

I ran 8 miles this morning, & just about 15 on Sunday.  biggest problem right now is my toe. (it hurt last night.  was so happy that it was ok this morning, until mile 7)    . no... biggest problem right now is being stupid.  ; p.       hoping I'll get over it!  Smile