Masters Running

Thursday, Fall begins, 9.22.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yep, first day of Fall, but not yet. Here on the east coast, it officially starts at 10-something this morning. So I'm still enjoying the last few hours of summer.

Nice 10K yesterday, Aamos. I like those non-political signs - there are so few of them these days (unless they are drug ads).

How'd you do yesterday, Coach Tammy? I think you'll do fine in the race on Saturday.

I'm glad you're odd too, Twocat! And I agree that it's appropriate to call your 'former running partner' your 'current running partner,' or at least 'sometimes running partner who has trouble with mileage numbers.'

I'm glad you felt better (except for the knee) for your 10-er, Enke. Congrats on all the coffee cards (and on not selling your house).

Good pool work, Holly. I'm conflicted with your latest DD issues. Good for you for covering half the cost of the phone screen - I hope the dad wasn't expecting more. It is pretty dumb for a teen to have an expensive phone without at least a protective case. I agree that DD should work off, if not pay the cost. About the shoes - how does getting Converse shoes dirty ruin them? If DD is going to replace them, then she should get the pair she 'ruined.'

Nice 5.2-miler to close out your summer, Haller.

I hope you got some energy back and got in a run yesterday, Evanflein.

Monday, I hope you take advantage of your beautiful scenery more than you ride the indoor track - at least while the weather's good. Congrats on sticking with the C25K.

Tselbes, sorry to read about your break-in a few days ago.

LaT, good job of 'taking it easy.' Right...

Nice recovery runs, Mariposai. I'm glad you're still enjoying your trip east.

Tet, you have, once again, left me speechless. But I also love reading about your many and varied adventures.

5.5 relatively easy RW miles this morning in 58F temps with dry air and clear skies. Nice. As LaT did, we are heading up to the Green Mountains of VT to spend a few days with some friends from NYC. We'll be in Manchester, which is near where our friends used to have a home, and where I'll get to explore my favorite bookstore - Northshire Books. It looks like the overnight temps up there this weekend will be dipping into the 40s and 30s, so I'll be taking some cold weather gear for my workouts.

Have a greta Thursday and first day of Fall!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We'll be in Manchester, which is near where our friends used to have a home, and where I'll get to explore my favorite bookstore - Northshire Books.

Ooh ooh! Bring me back a surprise! My favorite thing to do when we travel is explore local bookstores. They have the most amazing scents and you never know what you'll find. Have a great weekend Jay, and thanks for the excellent recap.

Hang in there Holly. I remember one time DS#2 took (stole is the more appropriate word) a check out of our checkbook, filled in the amount for $75 and then cashed it. DH and I argued about who had written the check and forgot to record it so we finally called the bank to get a copy. What a shock to see DS' writing and signature on it. If you can survive the teenage years with your kids, you can pretty much survive anything!

Tet and Steve do post the best pictures, don't they?

It's been raining pretty hard here the last couple of days. I turned on the local news as I was getting dressed to go to the Y at 5:00 and the weatherman said there was a "break" in the rain for a couple of hours this morning. I decided that I'd take advantage since the temp was nice and there wasn't much wind and just run from home. Well, the "break" turned out to be about 20 minutes. I was out a couple of miles and the skies opened up! Got the run cut short, but something is better than nothing, right? I also got in about 20 minutes of weights and core stuff.

Off to feed the school kids chicken and mashed potatoes today (I know you all enjoy my sharing the daily lunch menu with you

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' and good falls!

Agree Jlynne--loved the bookstore in Charleyboy, where I got a book on Doug's recommendation, very glad I did.  Looking forward to Malaprops Bookstore in Asheville.  And I DO love the lunch schedules.  (Makes me grateful for my own selection in my ol' brown bag here...)

Hope you make some good finds in VT, Jay.

Here's a parent query:  I ran a little longer this am, on a route that takes me near an elementary school.  I can't get over the line of cars of parents dropping off their kiddoes.  I don't understand why they don't drop them at the end of road and let them walk.  There is a VERY generous bikepath (I run in it), the speed limit is 20 or something very slow, and there's an island in the middle of the road.  Instead, they sit for very long periods of time just in order to drop the child off at the front door.  My teaching chum outside of DC has a similar problem.  Unless she goes in very early (and they start the middle school there before the high and elem schools, so I do mean Early), she gets stuck in the line of parents waiting to drop off kids, can't get to the teachers' parking lot, and inches forward with everyone.  Good thing she has books on CD in the car, but still.  [Can you tell I walked to school all12 years?]

We had a grand Wednesday night party last night!  Pizza from Pizza Fusion, something we never hardly ever do.

"Pizza Fusion is a Deerfield Beach, Florida-based pizza restaurant chain. Using mostly organic ingredients and emphasizing green building methods, the restaurants operate under the tagline Saving the Earth, One Pizza at a Time."  A little hippie-pretentious, but it's really good.  SO good! in fact.

So eight for me, still in post marathon recovery mode.  (meaning meandering pace)    Beautiful sunrise.  Working on wearing out a pair of Adidas so I can retire them.  Got them at a huge discount, still won't be sad to part with them....they are black with hot pink accents.

Lovely Thursdays all around!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - you are absolutely right - that line of cars waiting to pull up one by one and drop the kid close to the door is ridiculous.  If I take DD to school, we have to leave by 6:40 sharp or we face that line of cars.  And it is not even cold or rainy!  If the line is long, I drop DD in the adjacent parking lot and make her walk over.  I will say though that schools have this drop-off policy they want you to follow, I think the point being to keep pedestrians from being run over in the school area.

Jlynne - what did DD#2 spend the money on?

Re: the shoe incident.  DD has a pair of white Converse canvas shoes, and she says that she wore that pair to her friend's house, and when it was time to go (to a haunted house, Land of Illusion), she simply grabbed the pair on the floor and put them on, not realizing she had the wrong pair.  Land of Illusion is an outdoor event and the shoes got muddy.  DD maintains that both the phone jostling and shoe incident were accidents, and should not be punishable.  I was pretty angry about the whole thing last night and I admit to sending a pretty snarky text to the other mom..."DD says that the shoes can be washed, but I explained to her that both you and your daughter insist that only a Brand New Pair will do......"  I feel bad for being snarky, but really, I have just never been one of those parents who contacts another parent with the "Do you know what your child did?" calls.

The money for both came out of DD's savings, though.  We will pay the money back over time by reducing her spending money for school football games, movies, etc.

4 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay – enjoy the Green Mountains – what a spectacular area. You may even see the start of some fall foliage ... and books!!! I love books!!!

Jlynne - something is better than nothing!

Amy – you could mention your idea to the school and have them suggest this to parents as a “shape-up” activity. Parents are tired and may not be thinking this through.

Holly – I look at you and have no doubt that DD will one day also be an amazing, wonderful, strong woman. She just needs to go through adolescence to get there – right?

Okay – this morning was a bike ride. A rail to trail path is at the end of my street and I rarely ride on it, but today I did Wink

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

TammyinGP

It sure feels like the first day of fall here. Even had a few sprinkles last night, which is the first rain we've seen since mid June when it rained during the Wild Rogue Relay - and even that was an unusual rain to get in this area.  But we'll be back up to the low 90's by Sunday, so I'll enjoy this break. And since today is  a XC meet, the nice cool temps are definitely welcome!  

Last night was an easy 2.4 mile run.

Tammy

Yes, I don't get the long line of cars.  My kids walk, takes them 35 minutes.  I also don't understand people that not only drive to bus stops to pick their kids up, but leave their engines running for like 10 minutes, polluting up the world!

I did an easy, slow 3.

Shooting for 30 miles this week!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

A beautiful first fall day here though a bit warm. I have not been posting lately but lurking daily. I continue to walk as much as possible and swim  (with a bit of pool walking thrown in) as I get closer to knee surgery day. Encountered a friend yesterday who had a similar surgery in June (and couldn't even walk prior to surgery). She's doing really well now and is back to aerobic exercise-very encouraging. Will continue to lurk and check in every so often.

evanflein

There might be rules about not dropping kids off too far from the entrance and making them walk. Concerns about traffic, and maybe even unreasonable fears of predators? Who knows. It seems our society has become overtaken by fears of dangers real and imagined. Not sure if that's a factor or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. My kids had to walk to the bus, half a mile by road, about half that if they took the short cut down the power line. I'd give them a ride sometimes, but usually only if it was really cold or there were moose in the yard or power line. They did come running back to the house a couple times yelling about a moose and I didn't always check it out, so who knows maybe I was played. 

Mariposai, not necessarily taking the week off! I ran Monday and Tuesday, just ran out of gas yesterday. I went home after work and just crashed. Good news is I got a good night's sleep and feel better today, but DH is getting sick and a lot of people around here seem sick, so I'm trying to be careful!

Jlynne, I like hearing the lunch menu! They sometimes have it on the morning news here, and we usually are surprised at what passes for a balanced meal...

Plan is to run later this afternoon.

It sure doesn't feel like fall here at all. 80 and a bit muggy today. We had a half inch of rain overnight but feel for the town of Waseca, MN that got 14 inches, yikes!

School lunch menus have have changed quite a bit since I went to school but some things were so good! My dad ran the cafeterias and planned the menus, using the government commodities that were provided. Everyone especially liked the school's chili. My mom decided to go to the school early one morning to see how they made it. She calculated the massive ingredients down to a household sized recipe. I actually had school chili for lunch today. We always had apple crisp for dessert with chili but I haven't had time to get that made yet.

I went for a run but just didn't feel into it tonight.  I am getting a cold and starting to cough so will take it easy. Now I am off to our first orchestra practice of the season.

Good to see Henry here. And Tet, your adventures are just too fun to read!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

A easy 3 miles for me today.

Tomorrow DW and I are on a road trip to Missouri to see the grandkids. 12 hours in the car so a rest day for me for sure.

I will be dropping her off for the entire month of October . I will be "Home Alone" for a whole month.  I am supposed to demo the lower level of the house while she is gone. We shall see if I can stay on task. I tend to get home from work ,run, record the run, read,sleep and repeat. My plan is to have the demo done  including a fireplace removal and at least the new workout room finished before her return. She thinks she will just find a big mess and a lot of empty beer cans. 😋

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Hey Henry! Take care and I hope you have a good outcome from that knee surgery. When's the big day?

Larry, your DW has low expectations. Time to over-deliver! I love having the house to myself, but a month is a long time.

5.7 almost sproinky miles today. Sure must've needed that off-day yesterday because I feel so much better today. I guess I already said that, but oh well, there it is again. And hey, I'm "only" 100.5 miles behind my pace bunny!

First day of fall. I am so sad.  I love summer. I really, really hate winter! Ughhhhhhh

coastwalker we are not going to get as cold. Instead it looks like nice sleeping weather in my parts. No AC just open windows.

AamosY I do not get it either, transporting the kids door-to-door. Here they also pick the kids up every 30' it seems. I think evanflein has it right, this is the public's overblown fear of kidnapping. Yes it happens. It is still really rare. In a population of 300 million bad things happen. We just have 24 hour instantly available news to make people think it is occurring all of  the time right next door. I wish people would let kids be kids again so they can experience venturing out on their own a bit.

No run for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. I promise this is the last Reach the Beach Picture I will post. Our official team photo from just before the start.

RA runners from left to right.

Top left: hally, my co-captain, Mariposai

Bottom left: local friend, Twocat, my DW, DW's friend, La Tortuga

We had an awesome team this year! Help populate next year's awesome team with more RA Master runners!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Two-cat: with so many goddesses, there’s no such things a too many photos.
                              No wonder you love relays so much.
                              Lost hikers where I got lost on Tuesday
                              After I got lost the day-before-yesterday on a mountain I’d climbed several times a year hunting ptarmigan in those days and just for the exercise of it and knew like the palm of my hand in later years till I moved away twenty yeas ago, the news reported the local search-and-rescue was dispatched to a 911 call from up there from two lost hikers Because, before the search-and-rescue effort got underway, they called back that they found the trail after all, I’m pretty sure it was the same apparent well-worn trail I had taken for the real one instead of the counterintuitive sharp right turn down an overgrown bolder field that lacked the same well-worn evidence of use.
                              I took pictures of the juncture when I finally figured out what was going on and will go post taped-up, waterproof, versions of them on the USFS bulletin board at the trailhead that, after advising hikers that more than a dozen careless climbers are responsible for more than a dozen search-and-rescue missions a year (including a fatality last year, and other years), just warms not to get lost too. It’s a two hour trek to the subject juncture but I may do that too.

Rain, Rain, blessed rain ensures a normal day without any epics.
                              In the meantime, after lightening up the same mountain is a velvet red version of a local “Akafuji” this morning, it’s raining cats-and-dogs so, after a short meeting, I went fishing instead of running. Whew.

ps holly and all - another one of the benefits of the aging process is walking the GS to school for more about five blocks away than four months in helping DD this year and never once thinking about the same before-and-after school traffic jams everyone else seems to be experiencing.  I walked one block from grades K-7, bussed four miles for eighth grade and walked or motor-biked one mile to high school. GS could walk back three blocks to get the school bus to drive him eight blocks but it's faster to walk the crow's route five miles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Hey Henry! Take care and I hope you have a good outcome from that knee surgery. When's the big day?

Thanks-October 17.