Masters Running

40's, 50's, 60's, etc. on the Run W/E 6/12/10 (Read 621 times)

"Don't let what you can't do stop you from what you can do." - John Wooden

May that be true for all of us this week.  With the 100 degree heat here, it's time for me to put that into practice by cranking up the treadmill or elliptical at the gym.  Just have to figure out how to get Mairead, Buddy, Dessa and Katy on the doggie treadmill, or maybe a good game of indoor couch hurdling.

Arla how was your race training run?  You have your choice of NJ or TX for training in the heat.

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Thanks for cranking us up Carol. Nice quote from one of the all time best coaches ever.

Been hiding from the heat myself. Today was a  5er warmup, then 2m @ 7:47, then 2m easy ,then 1/2 mile @ 6:36 , then cool down.

This of course, was indoors. At best, a 10er outside today in 93* and very humid would have been a sunburnt slog.

Took Buddy to the beach for a walk and swim late in the day.

Grass is cut, air conditioners are installed and running, and pool was opened today.

Must be summer!

You all dealing with heat and humidity - my hat's off to you.

Thanks for getting us started, Carol.  Great quote.

I've had a busy weekend.  Three legal secretary chicks ladies who I've made friends with at all the conferences I go to came up to visit me and my compadres.  Between work, running, and visiting, I've been on the go since Friday late afternoon.  Anyway, managed 17.5 trail miles yesterday in what is considered humid temps for us, and 9.5 miles early this a.m.  Note to self - Do not eat sushi the night before a long run after a long day that included an even longer run.

Yesterday's trail run went a lot better than last week's, but I was still really pooped at the end. Makes me not want to take anymore extended breaks.  Getting back up to speed is a PITA.  Although, I ate and hydrated really well, stayed on top of my salt, and never got nauseous.  Yea!

Today went about as I expected.  The last couple of miles I slowed down quite a bit.  Was starving when I got up, so took a chocolate donut with me and ate it over a couple of breaks.  300 easy, tasty calories.  Yum!

Have a good one, folks -

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey folks!!

Sorry I've been AWOL a bit...it would take a bit 'o time to describe the chaos that sometimes descends around here....& then I wrote up TWO lengthy posts, including RR's & somehow erased them as I was nearly finished both times!!!  ...something I'm doing with this little netbook - wiping dust off the keyboard?!  & then didn't have time for any kind of a rewrite at the time....anywho !  try again.....

Nice quote Carol!  Very applicable.... stay cool!!! we're getting the heat here too - but not like you!!! Heard it was 111* in Phoenix yest!   upper 90's predicted for here today! ...& more huge storms for Jim & Lynda....guess someone hit the switch & viola! SUMMER IS HERE!!  dang!

Spent a lot of time driving last wknd leading up to the Bolder Boulder...transporting the kids to their other relations for the wknd visit & back, attending a graduation the other side of Vail & up to Boulder on Sunday to catch some of the expo & street performers, go to dinner w/Jim & Lynda ~ of course, as always, I dominated the conversation...being the wonderfully gracious ppl they are, they hung out with me anyway!! We attempted to go to bed early...'course DH doesn't ever sleep well the night before - doesn't matter whether it's mine or his..I wasn't concerned..felt pretty rested (for me) going into it...or loopy from lack of sleep..who knows!  & was my intention to run with Lynda, whatever that gave us, and have a good time! We'd decided to park by our regular apres run rest & jog the extra coupla blocks over to the start line from there - I think it gave us a good mile + warm up & barely got us there in time for Jim to catch the porta potties & get into his wave!! The guys' waves were directly behind one another but, they'd decided not to run together. My assigned wave was about 6 mins behind Doug's. Lynda's was about 20 mins further back. We tried to see the guys off but lost them in the crowd (54,000 +/-), then waited in a verrry long bag check line, hit the porta potties one more time & just barely made Lynda's wave start! Good thing it's chip timed eh!? The course winds through some gently rolling hilly (I know I'm gonna get smacked for that one!)  neighborhoods near the college campus with great spectator support & features numerous bands - both hired & "volunteer", + private stereos, frequent water stops + all the spectators w/donuts, Doritos, beer, marshmallows, belly dancers, slip-n-slide, jello shots, sprinklers, hoses & water guns..once you get into the stadium you get a snack bag, a bottle of water, a soda pop & a beer -& that's on the way to the size-able expo where you can get some other 'stuff' & hang out w/folks...It wasn't quite as cool as I'd have liked it to be...abt 62*, perfectly clear, calm & sunshiny! Pretty early on, Lynda was having a bit of a time with it. I suggested - then enforced dumping water over her head & down her back to cool down a bit & we backed off the pace a bit, ran through sprinklers where available (passed on the slip-n-slide)  but, I still kept a bit of a consistent push...not sure why she didn't whack me good for that...& then in the final .25 mile I nagged her into the stadium...we 'high-fived' just past the finish line (caught on video!)  1:19:17:58  & then I let her walk...We caught up with the guys in the expo, which had sooo many snacks that we passed on our regular beer & burger apres run stop. Instead, after hanging out, walking about for just a bit, we headed back towards our hotel - several restaurant options here too - which was about 30 mins out of Boulder, caught some food & alcohol there & caught a shower (late check out), more shoe shopping (think Lynda got 2 pr) & headed down towards our home neck of the woods...more chatting & food....Doug says that he was feeling pretty good 54:11:61 (almost a min better than last year) & felt he went "comfortably hard' - didn't "leave it all out there"  

Oh yeah, 10 down to the 'big hill' & back earlyish this am....Mairead took a few breaks but is otherwise looking just fine!   ..me too...

Off to get more "stuff" done....it never ends...

Now! lets see if this'll post for me ...

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C every little bit helps with the disappearing posts.  that way you only loose one or two deep thoughts instead of all of them.    Now I just need to get in the habit of doing it myself

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice report, Cindy.  Glad some our 40+s are able to get together every now and then.

Rest day for me.  I contemplated getting up and doing a "The Firm" core workout DVD I haven't done since I started running, but sleeping in won the battle.

Had to take my car in to see if the clutch is going out.  If it is, I'm going to be really, really PO'd as we just had it replaced 3 years ago by a mechanic friend of The Hub.  I don't think it needed replacing at the time, but since we were doing an overall fix up on the car (hadn't needed anything major done in almost 10 yrs) and the clutch was squeaking whenever I would use it, decided to go ahead and replace it.  We'll see.

Have a great week, folks ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Lots of great running getting done around here.

Jim - congrats on the AG award, even if it's a small race I figure you've beaten everyone who didn't show.

Cindy - BB sounds a lot like Bay to Breakers in terms of crowd support! Fun! Let me guess, Doug ran that fast of little/no training?

Leslie - seems the rest days did do the trick. So you're now starting another big weekend doubles build up? Wow.

Had a big weekend, not even counting the marathon! Got down to San Diego Friday afternoon, in time to see Deena and Meb participate in a discussion panel (dang they are tiny little people!) and then did the expo shopping thing, even though it's always all the same stuff. Saturday was mostly spent driving over 300 mi to attend a wedding in Malibu - I left early, but still didn't get to bed until midnight! Oops!

4 am came quickly and it was time to get up. Funny how getting just a little sleep the night before a big running event isn't a problem! I had intended to walk the first 4 or 5 and then run the rest, but couldn't quite bring myself to walk! I kept promising myself to take it easy and walk the water stops - this new plan B worked out well and I won't hesitate to do it again. The course was pretty, had good support, and was fairly easy, and the one big hill between miles 7.5 and 10.5 turned out to be nothing. Today I feel just as though I'd done just another 20 miler, keeping it good and slow definitely worked.

After the run it was a dash to check out of the room in time, then more driving.  Altogether I did over 1000 mi of driving, plenty of shopping, attended a wedding, and - oh yeah - ran a marathon! What was I thinking?

Easy 5 and change this am.

See y'all when the opioids kick in.

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Congrats Arla on a Kewl "training" race  - yes indeedy they are (tiny ppl!) ..Re Doug & training...pretty much....   he does run a bit here & there - nothing I would call "training"  (he's giggling in the background {visualize Scooby-Do!})

Congrats on the hardware Jim!!  Woo-Hoo!    Hardware is hardware!!!

Leslie - I worked a really nice 50K -mostly single track- Saturday...it's a new one here in CO called the Golden Gate Dirty 30...the trail running folks are loving this one!  there was also a 7M & 12M option for the less brutally attuned...

Thanks Kevin.....is that for after it's wiped it out?? & I suppose I should take some kind of a computer literacy class at some point....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Nice going on the "training" race, Arla!  To feel so sproinky afterward, you definitely did something right.  And yes, back to back-to-backs, but I don't mind the 10 on Sundays.  My legs are tired, but that's the whole point.  And if I get up early enough, I can be back by the The Hub gets up and we can go to breakfast.  Not like when doing B-to-Bs for American River and I was gone all morning.

Cindy - The Hub says to me the other day, "You need to find a race in Silverton or Telluride. (sp?)  I really want to take you there."  Me: "Uh, can you pick a location about 9000 feet lower in elevation?!?"  Cripes, I'd love to go to those places, just not to run.  The freaking elevation would destroy me.

Well, gotta have the clutch replaced in my car.  Mechanic thinks something has broken loose in there, is "floating" around, then decides to lodge itself in the middle of everything once in awhile.  Only way to find out is to take the whole thing out and open it up.  New Clutch - $140.  Labor because of what it takes to actually get to the clutch to see exactly what's wrong - $500+.  If it was a horse, I'd shoot it.

Okay - I'm off for a hot back and bed.  Later, dudes and dudettes.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Oooh Leslie! How 'bout Silverton AND Telluride!? I'm crewing the Hardrock 100 in July this year that runs around those mining towns...Gorgimous trail on the old mining route.....or you could find something out there a little less challenging http://www.trailrunner.com/calendar/2010_calendar_by_state.htm#NJ
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks Kevin.....is that for after it's wiped it out?? & I suppose I should take some kind of a computer literacy class at some point....

I did forget a LITTLE detail--Ctrl-V AFTER the wipeout.

Just a tad over 5 miles in IRC.  Index toe joint is starting to get sore again.  Ice and Ibu will follow and hope I can keep it at bay for a nother couple of weeks at least.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Heavy Man Heavy! That describes the air here today after a nice rain shower last nite but cool temps made it bearable. I got in a muddy 4, first run since my 5 k since we were pushing with work. So far had dodged the bad storms. My best friend lost his wheat at his home place to hail, nite before last, missed 2 of our fams by 4-6 miles.

Carol stay cool, maybe katy needs her own 'mill. Ceasar uses them a lot on his show. :-) thanks for the kick off.

Arla run a marathon drive 1000 miles attend a wedding then come home and get a 5er in..........Wow. I would really like to do San Diego, I have family there and really like the city as far as cities go, just bad time of yr.

Cindy nice 10 and thanks for the race report from the gals perspective. Doug was a huge calming influence on me, helped a lot to keep the nerves @ bay before the start. JUst doing warmups I knew I wasn't going to keep up with him.

Joe they are gonna need higher hp motors on those dreadmills with workouts that fast! ;-)

Kevin thanks for the 'puter tips! just one question about the index toe, sure u have it covered but your shoes are long enuff right?

Leslie those shorter back to backs are becoming easy for you, nice job.

And I'd trade you one auto clutch bill for winter preseason checkup bill on my combine. ;-)

Just hanging out before the grain mkts open. Last 2 weeks have been ugly but hey are crops are looking super!

laters

Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey All-

Leslie- glad to hear your trail run went better. Sorry to hear about your clutch. Sounds like a trip to Colorado is in your future. I'll go in your place if you like....

Cindy- fine RR for you and nice going with your run. Doug's just one of those guys that this comes easy to. 54k people is incredible. That's really nice that you hung with Lynda and you four had a chance to get time together.

Stumpy-thanks for the tips.I do a "copy" every once and a while if my post is longish. Get that toe better.Seems like we have some awesome weather for a couple days.

Arla- you are some jet-setter.Hanging out with Rockstar runners ,then off to Malibu for a wedding.Sounds like fun. A thousand miles of driving eh? You didn't get stuck in traffic with that bear by the highway?

Jim- these guys are right, 2nd place is 2nd place.WTG! Hoping those storms continue to stay away.

Carol- you were not anywhere near that gas pipeline explosion I saw on TV?

Hi to everyone-

Dealing with a bit of a blister prob on my lbig toe,left foot. I'm not blister prone so not sure where it came from.I had a corn/callous on the front pad (gone now)same foot so maybe I was correcting a bit. Anyway, heavy tape with some padding and I think I'll run through it. If only I didn't have to wear dress shoes for work, it would feel much better!

. . . then 1/2 mile @ 6:36 ,

I missed this earlier.  And done a dreadmill, no less!  

Jim - We don't have the severe heaviness you guys are having, but it sure is moist, warm, and sticky here.  This is one of the weirdest Junes in the 23 years we've lived here.  Calls for lots of BO juice, for sure.  Bling for an AG placement is earned bling, no matter how many people are running.

Joe - Just cut the end out of your dress shoe.  No?  Well, it was a thought.

Stumpy - Hope your toe heals up, too.  Take it easy on it.

*I started this post around 9:00 a.m. this morning.  It's now 12:55 and I'm just getting back to it.  What?  I'm suppose to work at work?*

Anyhoo - 30 min of stationary biking, followed by an hour of core/strength training.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - I just realized - you're already at 100? You got us beat. I've found that as long as I stay in the shade, I can run in triple digits - it just takes a couple of tough weeks to get there.

Kevin - what's up with that toe? I wonder if there are any stretches or exercises that you can do to help? Maybe the yoga people have one - is that a dumb idea?

Leslie - you should take Da Hub up on that trip offer! So what if you only get in a few miles up there and then poop out, it's totally gorgeous!! If you go to Silverton, stay the night - all the tourists leave on the train. They also have a fantastic folk music festival in July, very small and intimate.

Joe - Um...not a lot of bears on the highway in the LA and San Diego areas,   although I've seen them on occasion in Yosemite. PS google "Run-a-moc". Best. Thing. Evah.

Jim - As you know, San Diego weather is pretty much the same all year, I'd say go for it in your "off" season (not that you really have that), but anyway as a result there always seems to be some kind of running event going on, I'm always getting emails and stuff about runs in that general area. Gives ya a good excuse to eat a bunch of seafood and Mexican...yum.

Cindy - thanks for that link! I'm sorta-kinda-maybe looking for a 50K in the next year or so - one that's relatively easy.

Thought about getting in a few miles in before leaving for the oral surgeon's office, but I had to leave before 6 am to make the 9 am appointment so that was just not gonna happen. Good news is I only have instructions to do "little or no vigorous activity" for 24 hrs, so it's back at it tomorrow...at least that's the plan/hope!

Arla

Ex runner