Masters Running

40's, 50's, 60's, etc. on the Run W/E 6/12/10 (Read 621 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks for all the toe concern.  A day of ibu and toe stretching and it seems much better.  (knock on wood)  I refreshed my memory on metatarsalgia (Sports Injury Bulletin is really good for these things) and the main causes seem to be worn out shoes and being overweight.  both pairs are under 200 miles and I don't think 5 lbs counts.  just bad luck, I guess.  It gives a few stretches to do and some strengthening.  I will also switch to bike and elliptical for a little.

With DD at UCLA, we paid a little more attention.  Great remembrance in the Boston Globe.  DW and I are also watching the softball World Series (Go Bruins!!) and all the girls are wearing JW wrist bands. 

Arla--that's a pretty amazing weekend of driving and running.  I do find it awe inspiring when people use a marathon as a training run.

Joe-- That's a really nice pace for TM.  I would need a pretty steep downhill to work up to that.

Cindy--BB sounds like a fun run and social event.  With 54000 of your closest friends

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I'm sorta-kinda-maybe looking for a 50K in the next year or so - one that's relatively easy.

Ooh!  Let me think on that one a bit . . .

Stumpy - Glad the toe seems to be feeling a tad better.  You seem more sane than most of the folks who get injured and just keep running anyway.  My motto: If the activity you are doing causes more pain, well, crying out loud - don't do it!!  Crazy, I know.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carol....I love the quote....so true.

Leslie....I see you're still at it with those long trail runs.  Go Fatozzig, Go!!  And good luck with fixing the car....I need some work done on my PU, too.  Telluride.......oooohhhh I love that place!

Mtn....BB sounds like a great time!

Arla....aside from the all the driving and the fact that you packed a ton of activities in a couple of days....your weekend sounded so relaxed.  Just as if you floated along through the whole thing.  Nice way to do the marathon.

Joe and Stumpy.......get those toes back in shape guys....

Jim.....nice BB run....sounds like a blast!  And congrats on that AG placement.....  

Like the sodbuster, the air is crazy thick around here, too.  Very hoomid and hot.  We've still got some yardwork to do, but the pace has slowed down considerably.  (Thank God).  Had a great weekend filled with music.  Did an open mic nite at a local restaraunt (expanding the envelope for me just a bit) on Friday.  Saturday LMD and I went to the Nescatunga Arts Festival in nearby Alva to meet with friends and hear them perform their music.  Then Sunday went with a friend to the big town to a wonderful performance.  Saw two performers that I've become acquainted with, Ellis Paul and Don Conoscenti.  Great performance in a great venue.  The venue is a place called the Chouse.  A couple owns and lives in this house which was once a church (hence the name Chouse).  Very cool experience. 

Hope all is well with Jewels and the oil that is showing up on Florida beaches. 

Latr my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ev - Sounds like a wonderful weekend!  Open mic, huh?  We ever gonna see some YouTube of you?  The Chouse sounds like a great place.  There's a small town south of us, Ferndale, where a couple has done the same thing - purchased an old Victorian building church and are restoring it as their residence.  I'd love to see the inside of it sometime.

My run didn't go so well this a.m.  Don't know if I did too much re the strength training yesterday, but they were dead, dead, dead.  It was all I could do to get in 8.5 of the scheduled 10.  I did do 5 of my 6 hill sprints, but I'd call them more of a sprepeat - a cross between hill sprints and hill repeats.  For #6, I just kept it slow and tried my darndest to climb The Hill without stopping, but didn't work out.  Stopped for a couple of seconds twice.  On the bright side - I had a beautiful double rainbow to guide me through the sprepeats.  Sun, blue sky, storm clouds, rain, and a rainbow.  Little bit everything all in one run.

Have a great Wednesday ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey all-

Ev- sounds like you're quite the performer yourself. I'm happy for people who are musicians, I have at least a few freinds that are pretty good. Me? I'm tone deaf. I know good music when I hear it, and I like most kinds (used to be "no disco") but now no rap or that technobeat stuff they play too loud at the gym.Geesh.

Stumpy- glad the toe's better. Mine's been shedding some unwanted skin 

Leslie- are you doing leg excercises on off days? Could be wearing you out.

Four tenners in a row for me. Last night the last 6 were at 8:13. 200 situps and 200 pushups as well tonight.

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - landscaping, music, running...you're an interesting man...

Joe - nice runnin' there. Looks like you'll hit 3000 easy this year.

Leslie - what Joe said. All those hills you do must surely give your legs enough strength work!

Was supposed to rest today according to the doc, but the handout he gave me said no vigorous activity for 24 hrs. Well the 24 hrs was up this afternoon! Easy 9 and change, 85F, but didn't feel bad at all with a nice breeze.

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning folks!

Gonna be a warm one here today again! & hoomid! - for here  ...brews up some wicked T-storms to ship Eastward!  really, really trying to get my lazy butt out the door earlier in the am, while it's still bearable outside....IOW: not working on my heat tolerance just now... took these:  http://zootsports.com/spring2010/product/w-ultra-speed?category=womens%2Ftri-footwear for a little spin this am...in my continuing search for minimalistic shoes for my short, wide feet (& running amongst the puncture weeds & urban trash fragments )..like em so far!  but then, I only have 4 miles in them so far....& will def save that runAmoc sight for further ref..... Still doing the P90X...not quite daily...life still can get in the way..& then I think recovery/rest days are probably a wise thing...but, as often as I can manage...gettin' a good sweat on & recovery has been good but it's not getting "easy" yet.... 

200 push-upsJoe!?!? + 10 miles + 200 sit-ups!?!  you animal!

Way to rest there Arla!

Gotta boogie...

Lter Gters

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Joe - 200 sits and pushups??  Dang, son.  When do we get a shirtless pic?    (just kidding ... sort of ... )

Arla - No drug-induced posts? Glad you're feeling good.  And 9 in 85 degrees - good job.

Cindy - I keep wondering when all of this does get "easy." 

Yes, I do fairly extensive leg strengthening on Tuesdays (probably more than Coach would like), which I know is part of my dead legs problem.  And even though I complain about it, my rationalization is that it's only making my legs stronger.  My hill climbing abilities are very mediocre, so anything I can do to increase my leg strength is worth the pain.

This morning was one of those mornings where I think I easily could've slept 'til 10:00 or so.  It was hard getting my eyes to open at 7:30.  Needless to say, I didn't get up and do my core/strength training.  My goal is to get in 4 miles when I get home tonight, then do upper/core in the morning.  I think I need to take iron or something.  I'm feeling very drained lately.

I used to do aerobics in my living room to DVDs of "The Firm." Between Weight Watchers and The Firm - that's how I began getting physically fit about 7-8 years ago.  When I got home last night, I decided I'd try out the abs only DVD - for the first time in probably 4 years.  It's supposed to be broken up in 3 segments with each segment harder than the one before, for an ending total of 33 min of abs work if you do all 3 in one session.  With the exception of a couple of plank workouts, I found the DVD to be surprisingly easy.  So despite the fact that I have this belly I can't get rid of, my core is stronger than I thought.  Cool!

Oh, rain, rain GO AWAY!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - let us know how those Zoots work out for you - I like the slip-on construction.

Leslie - a strong core is a good thing! See, you're stronger than you realize.

Joe - the gals are right, we need pics. Just to help you monitor your progress, of course

Lost a little weight due to the "soft food only" diet, there are only so many squishy things that I want to eat.   I keep looking longingly at a leftover slice of pizza in the fridge...

5.5-ish with hill repeats on "Killer Hill". I'm lucky that the XC course used for the state HS championships is a mile away, and my hill is almost exactly 2 mi away. It's only about 1/10th of a mile long, but it's fairly steep and good for short hill repeats. Now to find a 1/2 mi hill for long hill repeats - around here, that's gonna take a little driving.

Arla

Ex runner

I keep looking longingly at a leftover slice of pizza in the fridge...

Throw it in the blender with a little extra pizza sauce!

Re core - Ladies, if you'd like to work on your core, I strongly recommend viewing this.  I've been studying his technique most of the day.

--------------------

MTA: Stuck to my self promise to run after work.  Intended to do 4, but messed up my math (surprise, surprise) and ended up with 4.5.  Since this was suppose to be an EZ run, I wanted to stay around a 10:00 mm.  Tried to do it just by feel, and imagine my surprise when it was all said and done I had a 10:02 mm, including inclines and declines.  Came home to The Hub having mowed the front/back yards and starting dinner.  Very nice, indeed.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

4.5 here yesterday. Trying to keep up with the work in between the storms.

You guys are amazing me this wk, glad to surround myself with greatness here, maybe some of it will rub off.

I better get to work, more later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Sooo, I'm wondering why you're excluding yourself from the greatness that is our group, Jim?? I be thinkin yer one O' the heros hereabouts!  I've seed dem videos!  

Didn't get as hot as the weather peeps kept predicting for yest....then had some of those intense storms fire up & stomp around...we somehow always seemed to be in a different area....one of those gaps was a nice little 3 miler with the Snug Runners group. Warm day = BIG group! I didn't catch the sign up #'s but, looked like 300+ to me! Held a 10:37 avg pace for my 2nd run of the day - met a new girl & later her speedy friends..one of those "I had her in visual the whole time, locking in behind her for the last mile, kinda pushing her in the last bit...9:08 pc."  as we got to the pub, she turned around & said, "Hey! I LIKE your pace!"     Those Zoots are a so far, so good kinda thing - they're kind of like an excellent quality of river shoes/sand socks ? ish... Really loving the grass running in them - pulling off to the side when there's a group to pass is usually a little unstable...not in these! at least, that's my opinion so far

Supposed to have some cooler, wetter weather for the next few days....sounds like weeding prep to me!

Later gaters!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Jim - Your everyday life is a testament in fortitude.

Cindy - You know Tet on the daily?  If the two of you ever got into a posting match, I'm not sure who would win the "Incomprehensible Award."   Sometimes I have to read your short hand a couple of times to understand what you're saying.   

Got in a good 45 min of upper/core training this a.m.  "Slept in" as best I could considering I had a cat who decided around 5:30 that he needed some serious lovin'.  Took me forever to get him to settle down - basically on my head.

Pets - When you walk out our bedroom door, you're in our great room (living room/kitchen dining room).  The kitchen is straight across the room.  We have a black frig and on the counter next to it, a black microwave; above the microwave, a black rotisserie.  I stepped out of the bedroom this a.m. to say something to The Hub.  It took me a minute to realize that sitting camouflaged next to the frig/microwave is our black cat, Goofy/Goombah.  The only reason I noticed him is he opened his eyes.  Wasn't getting into anything, just sitting there relaxing.  I've never seen him up there before. I don't know how long he sat there, but from the time I noticed him to when he finally got down, it had to have been a good 15-20 min.  I don't know why, but it cracked me up.

Have a great Friday, folks ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy folks, I feel like bookends this week...posting Sunday and not again until Saturday.  Peeked in a couple times, but just couldn't focus my 40 something brain enough to get a post together. 

Joe - so it's spash week, we'll be right over Wink.  Glad to know that Buddy is getting in some beach time too.  Hope the blister is on the mend and the dress shoes are put away for the weekend.  The gas line explosion was a bit too far south for us to feel/hear it.

Leslie - loved the camo cat story!  Hope your legs are set for your weekend adventures.  Just how much lower body strength work would you say you do each week?  I've started back in on upper and core, but am too chicken to add much leg work to it.

Cindy - nice race report.  I always get the feel and atmosphere of things from reading your posts.  BB sounds like a blast!  Glad Mairead is doing well and  you are liking your new shoosies.

Arla - didn't you dress up as a bunny, because you are like the energizer variety.  Nice "training run" you had there too.  You eating solid food yet?

Stumpy - how is the toe doing?  Good plan to enjoy a little air conditioning at the gym and give it a chance to heal.

Jim - You guys have such a variable schedule.  Hope the farming and the running are going well.  How is Lynda liking her new shoes?  How is Dessa doing?  Does she ride along on any of the farming tasks with you these days?  I'm afraid Katy needs Caesar himself to pay a visit.  I'm sure he would not approve of some of our doggie parenting style (aka spoiling). 

Ev - So has the humidity/rain been helping your new landscape to thrive?  My garden is going nuts!  We definitely need some video of your next open mic night.  Tell Mrs Day to fire up the camera!

Jewels - are you laughing at all of us complaining of the humidity?  Hope your summer is going well.

I've either run or hit the gym every day this week.  On the runs, I've been trying to keep my heart rate from going through the roof, so am mixing running and walking for about a 12 min/mile pace.   At 7 am today it was already 80 with 81% humidity, and is on it's way to a heat index of 105 according to the forecast.  The AIR CONDITIONED gym is elliptical and weights for me these days.  Speaking of car repairs, hubby's car is back in the shop for the 3rd time in as many months.  It all started after we had it in for "preventive maintenance".  Thankfully we have my step dad's truck right now since I was his ride to the airport yesterday.  

Progress Trumps Pefection
                                OK, so a sales guy at our gym pulls us aside this morning as we're checking in at the front desk, and tells us he can save us $20/month if we rejoin the gym under a different type of membership.  Gotta pay $100 up front to do that, but a 5 month payback is not bad, and we decided to do it.  So as we start to do the paperwork, he wants to sign us up with fake names....using our middle names as our first names and my first name as our last name....and tells us that is so the corp office won't realize we are the same people.  I also asked him to explain the contract details (he was perfectly willing to skip that part), and after I asked him specificially about it, he revealed that we will also have to pay 1st and last month....again, making the payback 9 months. So hubby and I had a little private huddle outside, were already in agreement, and came back in and told the guy this crossed the line for us and tore up his "deal".  Not that I want to give this company more of our $$'s than new members are paying, but geesh....I like being able to sleep at night too.  Geesh....nothing like leaving the gym feeling sweaty AND slimy!
                                Progress Trumps Pefection