Masters Running

You All are So Yesterday - Thursday 10/12 Daily (Read 42 times)

Are you still yesterday? Is it Wednesday? Yes? Get out of here! Go to the yesterday thread. This is so great! It is almost 9am and I am starting the daily before coastwalker. Heh, heh. 

RunnerKSA very admirable getting out so early. Still rules are rules and rule #1 is "No running in the rain!"© See what roachrunner did.

tomwhite I really tried to figure out what you were saying about skeet shooting with your friend. I still have no idea, other than he has a lot of guns.

Opus77 yep, I am an academic. Teach finance mostly to MBAs these days. Their writing is okay. Their work ethic . . . Fortunately, I spend most of my time trying to write papers and convince people to publish them. What area are you in?

Tramps I sure hope you can keep making some progress. Most of the time experimental treatments turn out to be useless. But in the off chance one is not, maybe it is worth exploring what DAW60 had done.

catwhoorg good news is good news.

Holly S. well maybe you can fill all that time by taking up running. You know, just a suggestion.

DAW60 welcome to the RA master's daily. Post early and often.

jtv nice that you found race walking as an alternative.

Today was my penultimate run prior to the marathon on Sunday. Six miles around the botanical gardens, the Yarra river and then up through the Melbourne Cricket Grounds. The last part was a last second decision that caused six miles to turn into 7. But I wanted to see them setting up for packet pickup and the expo, plus that is where the race finishes. Actually, you do a lap inside the stadium, how cool is that! I took a few pictures along the way and some are on the relive video at https://www.relive.cc/view/g14819101679. Nice morning for a run too. Rain cleared out last night and left a cool day with a dew point in the 40s.

From yesterday's bus tour the mandatory sleeping koala picture! Sorry, the little gal (the guide said it is a gal) is backlit so this was the best I could do.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

twocat - i have fond memories of seeing both koalas and emus in the wild when we were there (and some fairy penguins), but never a roo

brag time:  my GS 4 weeks ago ran a 9:45 for mile run and today ran a 7:57  brag off...

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' Twocat, Marj, and everyone else.

Wednesday's workouts:

Twocat (penultimate pre-marathon 7 miles in cool, dry weather)

RunnerKSA (5.7 morning miles on windy, rainy Chicago lakefront)

Opus77 (4 mixed morning miles in H&H)

Rochrunner (baking chocolate chip cookies)

Tramps (last PT session)

Holly (2.1 recovery miles)

Pfriese (8.1 morning, round the lake miles)

Daw60 (4 TM miles at 7:16 pace)

jtv (4 RW miles, including middle 2 at 11:09 and 11:02 pace)

Evanflein (5.2 miles in Eastham, MA)

Mike (11 miles with 9 at tempo pace)

Mariposai (5 between work miles in great Fall weather)

It sounds/looks like you are having a great trip, Twocat - so glad you two decided to go.

Congrats to you getting a lot faster GS, Marj.

Sorry about the church shooting, Tomwhite. Strange times, indeed.

Goad you adjusted on the run (so to speak) yesterday, Opus77. And I hope you have a better day today, and that the boys ran well yesterday.

Congrats to your DW on her clean report, Rochrunner. Send some of those cookies this way, will you?

Tough situation, Tramps, but you've got a good attitude for going forward, and that will help a lot. I don't know much about DMTs, but I was thinking the same as jtv - that racewalking might be an option, if you're willing to invest a little time to walk a different (faster) way.

Congats on the good report from the dermatologist, Cat. I hope the biopsy report comes back clean.

Welcome Daw06, and thanks for the story about your amazing surgery with the stem cell injection and subsequent recovery and return to running.

Excellent pacing, jtv!

I'm looking forward to tonight's meet-up with Evanflein and Robin at Marj & Henry's home in Boston, even though Evanflein put some last-minute demands on me regarding what to bring...

5.2 RW miles at 4:15 this morning in 51° windy temps. I was quick, but not as quick as jtv, averaging 11:36 for the workout.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

2cat--sounds like you're enjoying your trip.

Jay--have fun at your meet up!

Catwhoorg-- congrats on the good news on the health front.

Holly--I bet your wallet's happy about one fewer set of braces, too.

Thanks for the supportive comments. I feel like I'm in a bit of mourning for the "loss" of running right now. I'll adjust; it'll just take awhile.

Opus--I relate to the "checklist oriented person" description.  It's the only way I get anything done!

TW--the time it takes me to drive to/from the nearest gym/pool here is about the amount of time I spend working out. Maybe when I'm retired, but it's not really feasible now.

DAW--Welcome. It's great to hear you're seeing encouraging results from the stem cell treatments. I'd read about the early studies and discussed this possibility with my doc. Unfortunately, I'm not a candidate because I don't have localized damage; my tears were described as "multiple, complex" in the MRI report.  Or as my blunt-speaking doc put it, "Your meniscus looks like a shattered windshield."  Ouch.

jtv and Jay--race walking is essentially non-existent around here.  At least in the local races, I don't think I've ever seen a race-walker and there are certainly no race-walking categories. I suppose I'd have the field to myself!  Seriously, though, it's food for thought.

Mari--the "Posie Hut"; I like that!  Things are in flux right now with TriBee's unexpected retirement but that's still on the "to do" list.

Exercises + 2.5 running miles this morning. The gross, swampy weather we've had all week continues.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning all.  Quick post this morning and will come back later.  Waiting to run with the team later this afternoon.  Should be 5ish miles easy for me.

Meet went OK yesterday.  I had the boys treat it as a tempo workout due to the 90+ heat index and the fact they had raced in H and H 48 hours earlier.  The big meet is next week and I want them ready for that.

Twocat - thanks for the start.  Nice 7 and good luck with your final race prep.  At the undergrad level I teach Aerodynamics and a class on aircraft performance.  No writing required in those classes, so I just have to deal with horrible math skills!  At the grad level I teach a class in Aircraft Simulation and one on Human Factors/Aviation Safety - writing required, and the source of my pain!  I hear you on the publishing.  A former student (who could write very well) are doing some writing on simulation and trying to get published.  He's a PhD but I'm not, so that makes it a bit tougher.

mrrun - great progress by DGS!

Coastwalker - that's an early wakeup!  We had a long time Master on RW (lives in Massachusetts) who would get up at 2 AM and run or run/walk every day (night).  Trying to get him to come over here, but we lost contact when RW pulled the plug earlier than they said they would.

Tramps - good that you got out for a few miles.  Where are you again?  Your weather sounds like ours.

Work beckons...

Thanks for the supportive comments. I feel like I'm in a bit of mourning for the "loss" of running right now. I'll adjust; it'll just take awhile.

This has been a rough year for me too, so I can appreciate how you're feeling Tramps. Back and PF issues, plus my balance is now way off due to some poor decisions I made having cataracts removed. And,  I think I've got a few years on you  I spent a long time on the pitty pot, feeling sad that this getting older thing was a PITA. It took a long time to come to grips with the fact that my long distance running days are over. I try really hard to be grateful that I can still get out and run. Period. I'm not in a "happy place" yet, but I'm doing my best...

Great picture Twocat! How long did it take you and your DW to adjust to the time change?

Hi Marj! When's your next trip?

It's so great to see all of these new folks posting. And the ones who have been here since the CR days too.

6 miles this morning in 52° gray skies and no wind. Have a great Thursday everyone!

''tomwhite I really tried to figure out what you were saying about skeet shooting with your friend. I still have no idea, other than he has a lot of guns.''

to clarify-

.......my buddy has shot Competition Rifle for 12-years,

but

nobody ever took him hunting,

yesterday he said ''I'm only hitting 50%''

I told him

if we were hunting doves, a bird for every 2-shells would be Good Shooting

it just depends on Your Perspective apparently

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, Masters all!!  I'm on my last day of work before a nice vacation, so I'm trying to get everything done so I can leave with a clear desk.  The beach is calling!!  I may not say much, but keeping up with all y'all's stories (yes, that is grammatically correct) is inspiring.  What an awesome bunch of folks!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Henrun

Tramps, come visit us and take one of Jay*s clinics- Or just power walk.

Jlynne-sorry about your balance problems-have you considered yoga? 6 miles sounds pretty long to me at my present state of running.

Seeing my ortho this afternoon for my one year post knee replacement check-up. Not sure how he’ll react to my running, especially the 5 5Ks I’ve done this past year.

This morning I was kind to my knee and did 2.7 RW miles.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good luck, henry.

Two cat
                      nice koala.
                      can you speak much yet?
                      is it coming back with an Australian accent?
                      how’s the weather been?
                      is rw as bad as heel-strike running?
                      jtv - passing regular runners seemed like fun before you said it.  However, it would seem that the shock to knees, hips, etc. from rw heel-striking 180 or so times a minute too would be as damaging to knees, hips, etc. as heel-strike running, . . .  vs. mid-to-forefoot landings that some studies have been shown to be less of a shock force to the joints.    
                      stem cell knees
                      DAW/tramps - there’s a local sports announcer in Seattle who effuses on behalf of a local clinic about stem cells and his knee.  Maybe it’s worth a try.  At least, it doesn’t seem experimental anymore.  Good luck.
                      races as training incentive
                      ps tramps - loud yes on races for training incentive.  If fact, though I haven’t had much incentive to train ever since facing my last IM and ultras more than ten years ago,  before I realized I didn’t need to, I used to follow advice more to my liking from the winter edition in 1978 of the then The Runner Magazine that, by moderating pace by a minute-or-two, non-competitive, recreational/fitness runners just interested in finishing a run of 26.2 miles could do so on the basis of a single 13.1 mile training run and nothing else beforehand.  It worked for twenty years until even much wasn’t necessary.  Otherwise, it’s mostly combining non-race running with the incentive of doing something else, e.g. morning commute, marj-like runs to the store, jogging to the beach for sunrise photos, etc.  
                      taper day (cracked window)
                      With a “quarter-moon” (that’s actually a half moon of the full moon we saw last week) still high in the sky, I  probably should take a final rainless run as the on-going drought since June 17 that forecasts of rain that’ve turned out to be but two episodes of 15 minutes of precipitation and yesterday’s 45-seconds have been threatening to bring to an end for the last three weeks is supposed to end for real this afternoon but, instead, I’ll attend to replacing a cracked, 46"x17" window in the den.  
                      ps - see? You don’t gotta be no student writing papers to have good syntax, subject-verb agreement, topic sentences, grammar, spelling, etc., to say nothing of run-on sentences.

pps opus - during a sojourn in Tokyo, I started taking advantage of being awake at odd hours from the jet lag generated by so much travel across the International Date Line to check out whether or not claims of a non-stop stream of runners 24/7/365 around the 5K perimeter of the Imperial Palace were true.  They were.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I was due for a fall and it happened this morning.  I was trying to run to Navy Pier and you cross the Chicago River on a nasty sidewalk with traffic next to you and a structure overhead. Pavement was uneven and down I went. Very little damage, surprisingly. I turned around and bagged the Navy Pier idea.

Also, my Garmin didn't do well at the start with the city buildings, even though it was fine yesterday. Had to adjust my distance down some.

5.3 done!

Got home (SO glad to be home) and did 1.2 miles on my treadmill.  Trying to get back into my routine.

6.5 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...turns out,

The Answer to the Musical Question-

''Where'd all these people with 2% body fast come from??""

was

The Swim Team has been here for the last 2-weeks

(also

the Answer to ''Why can't I get a Lane??'')

============

....50-min at Y on ''Matrix X-Bike''........with Virtual setting of mountains

if

I can Walk tomorrow, Very COOL

..................good Running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

rmcj001

Lurking, but rarely posting - just had to respond...

Tramps - 20 years ago I had meniscus and micro-fracture surgery on my right knee.  Ortho basically told me same thing - no impact sports (no running).  Took 12 years off, more or less, and then 8 years ago tried running in VFFs.  Made a big difference for me, but did take a good 2 years to be able to train consistently.  I was told that I would need an artificial knee at this point IF I cut out all impact sports.  Since 2010, I've done over 100 races, 14 marathons and over 10,000 miles of training. My knees aren't perfect (stairs are always fun) and I have good days and bad, but I'm more likely to notice them when walking then running.  So, there's some hope.

As a side note, last year I had an x-ray of my right knee and the Dr said almost the exact same thing as the orthopedist said 20 years ago, "you know, you have a bit of arthritis..."   like I didn't know 

Ray

DAW60

Hi masters,

Tramps - here's how my MRI read:  "horizontal longitudinal tear along the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus with extension to the inferior articular surface. Lateral meniscus is intact. Severe chondromalacia of the medial tibiofermoral joint, with large regions of full thickness cartilaginous defects along the medial tibial plateau. Large regions of subjacent bone marrow edema along the medial tibial plateau and medial femoral condyle. Chondromalacia also along the medial facet of the patella, with partial-thickness cartilaginous fissures and small region of subjacent bone marrow edema and subchondrial cysts."  The MRI interpretation made it sound like a mess, but upon scoping to clean up the meniscus, the doctor said outside of the localized area, everything looked amazingly good for a 56 year old runner.  I would not give up hope on stem cell / PRP therapy as more data comes in.

6 road miles during lunch today at 7:45 avg, starting with 7:55 for first mile and ending with 7:23 for last. Nice and cool at 50 degrees with a drizzle. After cautiously running two or three times per week from March through mid September, I have now run on 15 of the last 17 days.  Doctor had told me if I'll know I'm overdoing it if I'm limping the next day. So far, so good.

Dave59

Ran 4 this morning. With my daughter and son-in-law here this week I haven't been able to keep up here, but I hope to eventually learn who the new folks are.

Next week, people from our NY office will be here and I'll need to be in the office more than usual. And the week after that, a new guy from Atlanta will be in town for some training. So it may be a while before I catch up.