Masters Running

Saturday, 7.16.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, Evanflein nailed it when she said the $3,000 being charged for 3 PT visits is obscene. There are people on this forum who know a lot more about handling these issues than I, but I would fight like heck to get those bills brought down to something much more reasonable, or I'd file a complaint. However, and above all else, you must remember that THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!

Good for you, Tet, for canceling your colonoscopy when they couldn't/wouldn't give you an estimate of the costs. Yes, I understand that unexpected things may happen, but a practice/hospital knows dang well what a standard procedure should cost. This kind of nonsense makes me nuts (or perhaps just more nuts...)

Tammy congrats to David on his first car. But it must be frustrating to have a car, but not (yet) a license to drive it. Congrats to your DH on #62. Yeah - Social Security age (and Medicare age too) sneaks up on you.

Thanks for the marathon stories, Tet. Always fascinating. I also hope that RCG's surgery went well yesterday, and that today she is a day closer to being back to running comfortably.

Nice 5er, Tselbes.

Sorry, TwoCat, but I just can't relate to the Zombie thing.

Evanflein, be careful of that foot, especially if you are still doing that 8K today.

DW and I went out on a date last night! We went to dinner at a favorite little Mexican place where, on the hottest day of the year, their AC had broken down. It was warm, but not unbearable, and we still had a good time. Nice cold margaritas helped keep us comfortable and happy. We have more family coming for an overnight tonight (the crew that was heading to Maine for a vacation last weekend is stopping here again on their way back home). This morning, I'll be hitting the farmer's market and Trader Joe's to stock up on some goodies.

Only 2 sluggish RW miles this morning. My ankle started to get just a little wonky again, and rather than push through it this time, I backed off and came back home so I can (hopefully) be in good shape for tomorrow morning's workout and racewalking training session.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ran this week's crazy distance race. It was 3.781 miles.  I did quite well relative to where I have been. Last week I finished 48 OA this week 30. Since it is roughly the same group that shows up week after week that indicates real improvement on my part. It has been some time since I was uninjured going into the start of the summer. I am pretty happy about that!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mornin Jay ,

better safe than sorry.

I finally got a morning run in. with temps nearer to 60 than 90 it put a little sproink in my step . I did 6.5 and seemed to enjoy a nice brisk pace after the first mile. Lots of steam left at the end so tomorrow's long run should be fine. I always try to protect Sunday's long run as it's the only good day for me to get in my longer runs.  I try not to do anything fast on Saturdays for that reason but lately I just go out and take whatever my body gives me. No pressure to keep up with a schedule yet so it works out nice.

Hope everyone has good runs and stays healthy today . Thoughts are with all the injured and especially  RCG .

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - makes ya think about going to work all day long before air conditioning.
          ps - after 20 years with the same provider, I’m switching.
          Four miles
          After always having an ulterior motive of a race, running to one, going to a place, commuting or something, I was at a loss as to how to get my foot out the door to continue yesterday’s one-day running streak for the DL’s but, recalling early morning runs around Tokyo back in the eighties for no other purpose except you never knew what was around the next corner, did a four mile round-about jaunt, including looking down on the stream of 10,000 cyclists on their way to Portland some 200+ miles to the south, . . . and recalling fondly when I could do it too. 57o.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

tet, seeing your list of those on the DL is more scary than hearing them individually and not realizing how many are hurting.  Thanks for the list.  Also, I like the stories about your marathon acquaintances.  Holly, what a terrible thing about the PT costs.  I hope you can get some relief some way.  My wife has had a number of PT session related to back issues.  I don't know how much they've cost us but, if it was anything like you got, I would have heard her really screaming.  Twocat, nice 3.781 mile race.

This morning, it was about 60° and almost calm (like hallar had).  I did 5 miles at an 11:13 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

However, and above all else, you must remember that THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT!!

Correct!

Well...I went and tried to run.  I had it all planned in my head what I was going to say..."Take me off that dang DL, tet!"  I talked myself out of trying for 6 and decided on a nice easy 4.  The hamstring was a little tender and I was keeping a very close eye on it.  At one point I thought, "If I was concentrating on it so much, I wouldn't be feeling a thing."  But, after about a mile it started hurting a little more...I kept going...not a good idea.  I finally stopped at 2.1 miles and walked about a mile home.  I'm ticked.

I'd grumble some more but I have a soccer game to get to.

Keep me on the list, tet!

See ya!

evanflein

Mike, what did you do to your leg? Although it's probably one of those, I don't know, it just hurts like a .....  It seems like that's how most of these things go. I'd feel better if I could tie it to something. Like I was running and stepped in a pothole or tripped over a root and did xx to my ankle or my knee or my foot or whatever. But no, these things sometimes seem to just creep up on you and before long you think, "hey, that kinda hurts!" Injuries suck. Injuries that you can't pinpoint the cause really (really) suck. Mainly because if you aren't sure what caused it, how do you make sure to prevent it from happening again? I don't know...

So the 8k race went pretty well. Better than I was thinking for sure. I went into it expecting a personal worst for this course, and I got that right. But I was thinking I'd be around 40 minutes and my time was 38:25 so I'm pretty happy with that. I was 6th overall for women and won my age group (out of 6), and held off a friend who used to always beat me but now I can sometimes get the better of her. She is recovering from a marathon and relay in Norway a couple weeks ago, but hey, I'll take it. No rain so no rules violated, but it was close. Limped out of there afterward and now a couple hours later my foot is sore, but still attached.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - Excellent racing for what you consider a poor showing.  Even at your worst you rock!

DH and I drove 2.5 hours east to meet an old friend of his and wife at Zanesville, OH to play golf and allow them to get reacquainted.  This was pretty much a central point to meet, since they were coming from the Pittsburgh area, and we had a lovely day with them.  DH hadn't seen this friend in 25 years, so it was really special.  Plus the weather was lovely and we had a nice 18 holes of golf.  Then dinner, and now DH and I are tucked up in a hotel for a quiet night with a bottle of wine.

I got about 5.5 miles walking, according to fitbit, that is all..

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Running in Tokyo sounds greta, Tet.

Erika - Excellent racing for what you consider a poor showing.  Even at your worst you rock!

The dog and I had a very nice six miles. With in the 1st mile, he took off after something pretty large. I called him back, however, he has "situational hearing loss". When I head a bear's warning growl, I called with considerably more earnest. before we got to the first creek, Tag was already overheated.

Shortly after the creek, we heard a soft but powerful "woosh". We had spooked a large, teddy bear looking owl. It was a very soft grey and it's eyes were a piercing black.

I was very excited the wood lilies were still out. The dog didn't care.

lastly, we were both startled by a hognosed snake.that was enough excitement!!

SteveP