Masters Running

Sunday Morning Coming Down...... (Read 359 times)

Slo

After last nights beers that seems somewhat appropriate.

Just fired up the heater in the garage. Thought I'd open Sundays thread while waiting for the temp to get to a bearable level.

buehler......Very nice run yesterday !  Good Luck on your race.

Happy Miles everyone !

Tramps

Francesca--  I can't quite wrap my head around the idea of back-to-back marathons.  Amazing.

Barb--nice run yesterday! 

Beautiful 35F and sunny (after sunrise).  IRC for me so I pushed a bit and did 12.16 @ 8:12, including 3 of my bigger hills.  Felt great and was happy with that one.  Waffle time!

Be safe. Be kind.

yea - back to back marathons.  I can't imagine.  Hope it's fun today, Francesca.

From yesterday - I'm sure they were very special pinecones, with critical attributes visible only to those of us with X chromosomes.  You guys just wouldn't understand.

JLynne -baby Nate is sporting the balding look these days too.  I think his mother was 9 months or so before she started getting some real hair.  I used to scotch-tape bows to her head for pictures.

Set out to run 12 this morning, but got turned around at 5 miles with knee pain.  Limp-trotted home for another 2 for a total of 7.19 miles, 9:58 overall.  Darn. I was hoping this knee thing was over and done with.  I may have to break down and see the ortho guy., which just kills me because (a) I'm cheap and (b) I don't want to waste vacation time on doctor's appointments.  Maybe Thursday's race aggravated it?

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Back-to-back marathons....not for me, thank you. Haven't Aamos and SRL also done something (incredible) like that?

11.15 hilly miles for me, 1:39:51.

It's beautiful out today....I hope you all have good runs.

Walt

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Rosie - very nice run yesterday.  Same to you, Holly.  I'm not even going to comment on back to back marathons - that's beyond amazing, Francesca.

As for me - the guy who had never been to Europe before six weeks ago - I'm back in the UK for the thrid time now.  An overnight flight from Philly (delayed), a limo driver who went the wrong way (even I recognized it), and a hotel that was not ready fro my arrival (45 minute wait in the bar sipping coffee americano and reading about Tigger's infidelities).  How do you say "meh" in UK speak?

Still got out for a run at noon.  Went for 1:45, but no idea how far.  It was raining, but I think I brought some sun, and there was a beautiful double rainbow in the sky as I ran along the Whitegate Way Trail.  Absolutely lovely.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Thanks friends!

PBJ, you are quite the traveling man these days.  Cafe Americano, sounds so sophisticated. I hope that you and the Long Suffering and offspring will make a domestic journey south again some time soon.  I'd love to run with you again.  And. Have you all over for a cookout.  And you could hop on the ferry and go see Long Suffering friends across the river, too.

PDR.  How about resting the rebellious knee a lil while?  Maybe do some of those quad strengthening exercises and some non-offensive cross-training?  I know how you dislike going to the doctor.  But use your good judgement with this one.  

Francesca.  Outstanding. Masochistic, but outstanding.

Today?

IWC

Ralph and I walked Veta to the river where we saw Jeff casting his net to catch bait for his wife.  She was casting her line to catch striper.

Veta was trying to catch squirrels but her leash was too holding her back.

Slo, thanks. Now get out there and run off the beers.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Funny, I was thinking how much fun the back to back would be.  Hmm, Thanksgiving in Seattle, huh?

My legs were still tired from Thursday's 5K, making for a tough 14.  (And this after talking about how I'd like to do the back to back thing. Smile )

14.3 miles, 2:02:43, 8:36/mi, AHR 148 (72% MHR)

5@9:09(135), 4@8:37(144), 5.27@8:04(162)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Just a quick fly by this morning ....

Out for 7 miles this morning - just because.   IF I get up and run 3 tomorrow morning I will have a 100 mile month.... so stay tuned.   Big grin    10:40 avg. page today.

Hi everyone!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Yesterday was a red letter day.  Mariposai came to visit , and ran with me up my trail and on the Forest Service Road.  It was fantastic  to have her here - a neat, neat lady, and a great runner.  The time flew by, and it was such fun.  She liked my woods, and confirmed some of my thinking about my hills, and my "training".  Lots of good talk, and for me, a memorable run.  We ran about two and a half miles.

Hopeful - just do it!

evan, congrats to your son's team for beating  the undefeated one.  Franc, I can't comprehend 2 marathons in 2 days but look forward to hearing about it.  PDR, I'm sorry to hear you shortened your run due to knee problems.  I hope you heal up quickly.  hopeful, tomorrow I will look forward to you reporting a 100 mile month.

Nice long runs for holly, fatozzig, buehrle, Tramps, Walt, and WRFB.

This morning, it was about 30° and calm.  I got in 6 miles in about 58 minutes for a 9:40 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

6.8 miles club run @ 10:00 pace, this beautuful morning, circled 2 lakes & they were glistening.

PDR hope that knee heals well!

Have A Nice Day !!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Go Francesca! No back to backs for me either, but I am mightily impressed.

Gorgeous day here for running----racing yesterday and long today for me. I ran the 31st annual Talking Turkey 6 mile Cross Country race in Holyoke yesterday. Finished 126 out of 1,127 and 3/130 in the 40-49 age group with a 42:12. I didn't wear my watch---on purpose--- and just went with how I felt. They called out 7:40 as I ran past the first mile marker and then 14:15 at the 2nd, so I know I ran the last 5 hard. Fun race and WINDY! 

Here are some shots from the race...very speedy crowd.

http://photos.masslive.com/republican/2009/11/holyoke_talking_turkey_race.html

I am just glad I didn't fall into the reservoir---If I had MC Hammer pants on, I could have flown!

Today's run was 16 miles on a very hilly course with Dr. B and Dr. J. 

Dr. J was on call but her phone never went off---Phew!

Now I am trying to squeeze the last bit of fun out of a busy, busy holiday stretch. The outdoor lights are up, the advent calendar that my mom made years ago has been located and I'll head outside again soon to chop down some bittersweet branches for some organic decor.

How wonderful that Woods Lady and Maraposai were together for a run today!

Hi there Slo_Hand.

Go Tramps!

PBJ---I loved the article and photos from the Courant. Priceless.

Veta has some very cool parents.

Happy Sunday all!

TammyinGP

Glad to hear you had such a nice run and visit with Nancy, Woods Lady. She is indeed a special lady.

Met up with my friend Laura this a.m. for a run. It was cool and foggy, around 28-30 degrees I suppose.

We ran 10.5 miles and the first 5 were a gradual incline with an elevation change of about 425 ft. and then the 2nd half of the loop we ran, was a gradual decline. It was a good run and we kept each mile in the 9 min/mile range for a total time of 1:39:04, so we averaged out about 9:27's. It's been awhile since I've run a 10 mile run and my legs are feeling it for sure!

Later we are going Christmas Tree hunting.

Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

Happy Sunday everyone. Are we all having leftover turkey for dinner this evening?

Karin- those pictures from your race today were awesome. The photographer got some great shots. Were there any of you? Nice race btw.

PDR - so sorry to hear about your knee. Get in and get it checked before something major happens. Doesn't your boss let you take sick leave for doctor appointments? He should. So Nate has lost his hair too, huh? A picture would be nice - we haven't seen any for a while.

Mary - gotta get that run in tomorrow for your 100 mile month. You know what December is like where we live - run while the running is good!

Perfect running conditions for Tramps this morning, and it showed. Great pace this morning.

Walt - how's that table progressing? You should post pictures of the "work in progress."

I ran a 15K this morning. Didn't place well in my AG - I was 7 out of 13 in the 55-59 women's, but I was pleased with my time. Ran it in 1:25:24 for a 9:09 pace and I felt good the whole race. The snow held off and the temps were around 34° with no wind. They had chicken booyah (anyone know what that is?) and rice krispie treats after the race.

The task for the rest of the day is to finish Christmas lights and try to come up with some creative ways to fix leftover turkey. Does anyone have any ideas?

Have a great evening everyone.

The task for the rest of the day is to finish Christmas lights and try to come up with some creative ways to fix leftover turkey. Does anyone have any ideas?

We get PTO for sick or vacation, so that's why PDR has to conserve it.

Turkey Tetrazzini - from Cooks Illustrated:

Serves 8.   Published November 1, 1998.  

Tetrazzini is also great with leftover chicken. Using a shallow baking dish without a cover and a very hot oven benefits both texture and flavor. Don’t skimp on the salt and pepper; this dish needs aggressive seasoning.

INGREDIENTS

Topping

1/2

cup fresh breadcrumbs

Pinch table salt

1 1/2

tablespoons unsalted butter melted

ounce Parmesan cheese , grated (about 1/4 cup)

Filling

tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), plus extra for baking dish

ounces white mushrooms , cleaned and sliced thin (3 cups)

medium onions , chopped fine (1 1/2 cups)

Table salt and ground black pepper

3/4

pound spaghetti or other long-strand pasta, strands snapped in half

1/4

cup unbleached all-purpose flour

cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth

tablespoons dry sherry

ounces Parmesan cheese , grated (about 3/4 cup)

1/4

teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg

teaspoons lemon juice from 1 small lemon

teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves

cups frozen peas

cups leftover cooked boneless turkey meat or chicken meat, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

INSTRUCTIONS

1.                                 1. For the Topping: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix breadcrumbs, salt, and butter in small baking dish; bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature and mix with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan in small bowl. Set aside.

2.                                 2. For the Filling: Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat until foaming subsides; add mushrooms and onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until onions soften and mushroom liquid evaporates, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste; transfer to medium bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, drain spaghetti, and return to pot with reserved liquid.

3.                                 3. For the Sauce: Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in cleaned skillet over medium heat. When foam subsides, whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour turns golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, gradually add chicken stock. Adjust heat to medium-high and simmer until mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Off heat, whisk in sherry, Parmesan, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and thyme. Add sauce, sautéed vegetables, peas, and meat to spaghetti and mix well; adjust seasonings to taste. Turn mixture into a buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish (or other shallow, ovenproof dish of similar size), sprinkle evenly with reserved breadcrumbs, and bake until breadcrumbs brown and mixture is bubbly, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately. 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com