Masters Running

Sunday, June 1st Daily (Read 370 times)

Renee the dog

Ace is a good looking pooch! I've done nothing much today 'cept skip church! Sleepy Feeling beat but heading over to dig 3 knee deep holes at the new house as three trees are delivering from the nursery tomorrow. My summer running schedule now has me running 5 on 2 off...and the weekends are off to do house projects! This week will be my first complete attempt of the schedule as life got in the way last week and I had to make up a run yesterday. June. Such a lovely month with such a pretty name!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I Can Go The Distance

Good Sunday All, Vista, thanks for getting us off to a great start as usual. Wildchild, "Run the Rockies" sounds like a great race. Those altitudes would do me in since I live right at sea level. Have you run races at lower altitude? Can you tell the difference? I know many of the elite marathoners train at Mammoth Lake and Lake Tahoe CA, both of which are at high altitude. BTW, in answer to your question of yesterday, yes I do have a plan. For the last 16 weeks I have been training for races coming up in the end of June and early July. I have been using "Daniels' Running Formula." I usually don't like to use plans from a book or the web, but Daniels' has really improved my running and kept me on pace. I have made some modifications to the speed workouts, but other than that I have stayed pretty close to the plan. This morning was a recovery day after yesterday's 12 miler. I did 7 miles on the track in 1:10:29 10:05/mile pace. Have a great day and great runs everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Hello all, Good runs and such out there. Be careful on that roof evryday! runningindc, I so admire your dedication given all the foot/PF obstacles. You are amazing. Do hold on to the gift and I have to believe some better days are out there. I am glad you have a great group. Fine looking pooch Steve---I swear I see a Batman marking....wait, glasses steamy. Francesca and Tet ---you are both simply amazing. I can't imagine that kind of distance. I raced today and decided to run the half-marathon at the Ironhorse race in Simsbury, CT. I had been thinking about the 10k, but decided on Friday to go for the full 13.1. I won't do the whole race report thing (I know, I know...fine payment on the way). I drove down there with one of the Js and we both had a pretty good race (She ran a 1:40:58). I also got to meet Twocat! He is as nice as you might guess from reading his posts and he ran a strong race coming off seriously long miles this week and transatlantic travel. he is also very fit looking. I'll let him tell y'all about his run. It was a pleasure to meet you Twocat! I ended up 3rd overall woman out of 149 women or so and 51/560 overall. I ran a 1:37:47 which pleased me a great deal since it was about 20 degrees warmer at 72F than last week's half-marathon in Buffalo. The sun was strong today! I didn't win any money but did get a nice bottle of Spanish merlot and a embroidered towel all presented in a large silver ice bucket trophy. Sweet! It may be crazy to do two half marathons in 7 days, but I feel good and even though my mojo wasn't quite as rocking today, I'll take it! I also---pay attention Spareribs---ran in racing shoes---a pair of bright pink (proceeds to breast cancer research) Newton stability racers. I LOVE them!!!! That's all folks! Wildchild---great news that you signed up for a half-marathon. It's a great distance and doesn't trash me as much as the marathon. I hope the same will be the case for you and that you rock it. Spareribs---great running and a 12 miler too. So glad you are coming back strong Time to get the kiddo off to baseball and then put on the rest of the mulch. CNYrunner/Karin MTA: Fussyrunner---I saw your Q about my avatar(s) in yesterday's thread. The Super Gs are my grandmother (on the left) 97.5 year old Lillian Jackson Lee and my great aunt, 89 year-old Elizabeth Jackson Scott. I was with them last weekend (my race report describing them is probably near the bottom of page 1). Since avatars can represent us in the cyber world, I chose my Super Gs---fabulous women who hang the moon for me.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon! Nice looking dog, Steve! Peter, thanks for the invite, sounds tempting. Tet – wow! Wildchild – sounds like a lovely locale for a race. Have fun! CNYrunner – Congrats on your 3rd OA woman award - nice racing! I’ll be right over to share that merlot with you. The shelving project with DH went surprisingly well yesterday, although we were only able to get halfway done and had to finish it today. We didn’t hit rocky waters until he suggested I give up my Sunday LR so we could get an early start on finishing the project up. Give up my LONG RUN? Well,..er…no. But even after getting my run, showering and eating, I was ready to begin at 9:00 am. “Don’t worry honey,” I said, “I’m worth the wait.” Big grin The shelves turned out very nice, and I did all the cuts and most of the drilling, while DH held things in place with the level (and came up with the plan, of course). I think I'm ready for a toolbelt of my own. Smile But now that means I must clean out the rest of the garage and organize them on the shelves, so my afternoon is full. 13.35 miles this morning, with mile #4, 5, and 6 at MP (8:43, 8:37, 8:44), but the rest of the run was pretty slow, energy petering out near the end. Don’t know why, maybe I’m not used to the heat yet, although I quite enjoyed it. Then 60 weighted squats and 60 dead lifts. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy June to all. I got the month off to a much better start this time. out at 7:30 this morning and was able to add a mile to my usual lake loop. Since my sophisticated timing device is a $5 Ironman ripoff, I add the extra distance by using the distance markers that various races have left along the lake. Need to add a mile? just stop at a 1/2 mile marker, retrace your steps to the mile marker and then continue the rest of the loop. Viola--an extra mile, just like that Smile That's a good looking dog, Steve--looks like he'll keep you active trying to keep up with him. DW and I celebrated 28 years of wedded bliss yesterday. I think we may have become an old married couple--we decided to give each other new cushions for the porch furniture and then went out to Bertucci's (since we had a coupon) Wink Kevin eta: I'm jealous of CNY--i wish I could just decide to run a half and end up in the top 10 percent. oh yeah--I forgot, she trains just a bit harder than I seem to Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Wow......there are some good runs going on today. You folks are amazing you know. The little city I live in has a bike/hike/runner/walker trail system that is always being added to and developed. It is SO well used by bikers that I have hesitated to use it much for my running. However, it does offer great variation, has water and washrooms along the way and also wanders through the woods, with trees that provide relief from the sun. So today I did a varied loop on a section of this trail and ended up with a nice 8.6 mile run. The only problem was when a tunnel cut off my Garmin reception and messed up the time for that particular mile. I can remember to anticipate that problem for the next time I run that particular trail. It is 86 warm degrees and a beautiful day in Central Virginia. I hope you are having this good weather where you are too. Joey
              Vista
                Tet runs "only" 42 miles. Holly and DH are doing great after getting over the long run thing. SteveP has a cute dog (and Spareribs called the dog cute -- new behavior I think, since Lucy came into his life) Tramps has a most excellent adventure. CNYrunner has a most excellent race in the heat. Wildchild signs up for a half -- cool! breger, tomwhite and I have lackluster, sloggy runs. In fact I was so dead from the heat and yesterday's "5K" that I cut my long run short. The pace vs. AHR show, for me, that the I was working way too hard. Workout: 7.1 miles, 8:59/mi, AHR 154 Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:13 Have a great day!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

Karin, I have the Newton stability racing flat also. Mine are yellow with orange laces. Nice shoe. I told you that I think you have a fast half in you, and this should be further evidence. You ran 1:37Tight lippedx just 7 days after your last one, and on a warm day. With the moon and stars aligned I see you easily under 1:35. How did you feel during the last two miles? Very nice race for you today; congrats. Spareribs
                    Thanks Spareribs for the vote of confidence. I could feel last week's race in the last two miles today. I didn't smack into a wall, but the heat was getting to me by the last three or so. The shoes feel great and I almost got the yellow ones with orange laces, but they didn't have my size (Super Runner's Shop in NYC), so the deep pink ones with pink laces (orange and yellow in the sole and heel) were the ticket. I haven't worn racing shoes like these since my bright orange Nike waffle racers circa. 1981. Anyway, this is the last long race around here until fall given the growing heat and humidity and that's fine. I hit 3 miles in 22:35, 10k in 44:58 and 10 miles in 1:14:50 something. I just hung on for the last 3 and tried not to lose form. I rode my bike with the kiddo to his baseball game and walked a bunch. Legs feel fine now. On to the next! Karin

King of PhotoShop

Pretty steady Karin, but I get the idea. BTW, you aren't old enough to remember this, but some folks here are. Your description of your shoes reminded me of Dodie Stevens' hit, "He wore tan shoes with pink shoelaces, a polka dot vest and man oh man..." Spareribs
                      pfriese

Good evening all, I did finish up the yard work early, so DD and I were able to go for a nice 14 mile bicycle ride. Have a great week everyone. Paul
                          rest day today, or work day with hike to see the flowers after putting in a few thousand words of translation. mr spook the aging kitty, is still hanging in, but appears to be resting comfortably. thanks to all for the good wishes. his loss represents the end of the "middle" part of our married life, while the kids were growing up. we had a bearded collie when we were newlyweds whom we lost at age 15, soon after fjorddaughter was born - we felt that was the end of our early married life. and this week we celebrate our 36th anniversary. still one aged kitty with us, mr spook's sister muffin, and pelle of course, who marks this active empty nest period. it's june - fjorddaughter graduates and gets married in less than 4 weeks - yikes! wildchild, i'm glad someone else thinks 72 F is hot - me too. our spring is a bit ahead of yours, though, aspens already out. and steve, i love your new running friend - pelle went for cars at first, but is now trustworthy enough to be offleash even when we are on the small roads around here. he leaves the wildlife alone too. cnyrunner - all i can say is wow. i may sign up for another half. or not. but if i do, it will be very very slow Smile good runs, susan
                            ..lou//.....I have noticed YOUR ''sloggy'' runs are a lot faster than MY ''sloggy'' runs...... proving Sloggy is a Relative Term.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I'd love to post some pictures this time with my upcoming RR( Yes, DH saved his skin and didn't forget the camera).. if only I could figure out how ...could I get some help please........? Thank you! Francesca
                                As CNYrunner (a.k.a. Karin) has already noted we met up at the Iron Horse HM today. She is the first person I have ever met live from a forum! A better person to run into (not literally you silly people) you could not find. I was hanging around the start when she spotted me and we yakked for a minute pre-race. For me this was a tune up and test the systems race. Alas, the system needs a LOT of tuning. I finished in 1:38:46 which is nearly 10 minutes off my PR. But, I was half expecting that. I have not run a race uninjured from start to finish since February and as everybody here knows I lost a bit over a month of training after that. As they say getting old sucks except for the alternative. On the very good news front I ran the whole race in solid shape. No injuries or pains. (Well other than fatigue but it WAS a HM what do you expect?) So I am really happy abut the race and looking forward to working on my times before the Missoula Marathon in mid-July. Some quick race details: Boy Girl is CNYrunner fast! I passed her at about the 1 mile marker. She caught me at the 5. When she did she tried to encourage me one to keep up with her. I really did appreciate the gesture so thank you Karin. But, alas I only managed keep up for maybe a 100 yards or so! Smile After that I never saw her up close again. Well not until the finish where she was good enough to great me. I finished 13/43 in my AG. Not bad all things considered. Oh yes, the "real" fashion report. I have a Mizuno running outfit with a singlet in mostly gold with some blue along with the matching shorts in blue with some gold. These are my alma mater's colors and I try to wear them to most races! For the first time I also ran with a Gu belt. I plan to use it in the Missoula race and figured I better test it out. It is really quite nice even if you do not plan to carry Gu's in it. Instead of pinning your bib to your shirt you pin it to the belt. Much cooler (temperature if not fashion) wise. The belt itself holds Gu's like a lion holds on to dinner! That is going to take practice if I am to yank them out with way less effort than I had to use today. Good runs all for the upcoming week.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/