Masters Running

The day the butterfly wings exchanged hands...RR (Read 375 times)

Mariposai

This was a double race weekend for my mariposai wings. A 5k on Saturday and a 12k on Sunday.

I won the 5k race on Saturday, an emotion I will not soon forget.(twocat is to be blamed for this result...he keeps telling me that I need to WIN a race...so winning I did...Big grin) The thrilling feeling while running a race, knowing that you are in the lead…the stress of knowing that you are the lead runner…the amazing feeling that you are the fastest racer on the road in this race, with the next runner only 30’ behind you…you run pukingly fast so you don’t give that runner the joy of being first…an awesome feeling….ahhhhhh. 

The next day was the Bloomsday race, with its 50,000 participants this year., the world’s largest road race, which I have ran only once and that was 10 years ago when I was just a casual runner. This race meant a lot to mariposa mama, it was her mother’s day present. The three Posie boys gathered around her at the starting line to run together…a miracle in itself.

Anyway, the whole family looked forward to this event. Posie son#1 traveled from Seattle to meet the rest of the crew. On race day we all met an hour before the race started. We were also joined by two other kids.  One of our other kids, a speedy runner had high aspirations for a good racing time but as we waited for the starting line we found out that he had a problem? Him being a newbie at racing he carried his backpack to the starting line!!  I know, I should have noticed that…but I was concentrating on my first time racer, my sweetie, so when it was time for us to go to our corral, my other son had this 15 pound backpack and no place to ditch it.

Posie son#2, knowing how important this race was to his friend decided to make a very unselfish decision to carry the back pack (I always taught the boys to think of others and this was my legacy to the next generation playing before my eyes). We all started the race together.  The Posie boys ran about two miles with us and then they moved on. 

Mr. Posie and I ran together the whole time. What an amazing feeling to run this race with a brand new racer.  I ran when he ran.  I walked when he walked. We were in sync and to tell you the truth, he surprised me by running more of this 7.46 miles than I had expected. 

Blomsday is all about family, friends and fun.  The whole course is covered with music, cheerleaders and wonderful support crew.  By mile 5 we found Posie son #2, who had a sad face of panic. He told us that the backpack that he was carrying for his friend was hurting his knees.  Posie mama had no choice but to carry the backpack, but with the condition that Posie son carry her butterfly wings. It was fun to see the shocking face of Posie son#2 hearing about the options…but soon he agreed and the butterfly wings were exchanged…for the backpack Clown

Now  soon after the wings exchange Posie son found out how much fun it is to run with the wings. Spectators  and runners really enjoyed seeing the wings!!!  It was like watching a Red Bull commercial. Posie mama is mighty happy that she has taught her boys to be carefree, and to embrace the moment.

and mama carried the 15 pound backpack and try to keep up with Mr. Posie, who all of the sudden decided to run faster so the "old lady" won't finish the race before him.

Now...see the Warrior shirt? Did you know that I am a sponsored athlete for this race that is coming to my town? They are paying for ALL my race fees until August to promote the event ...all I need to do is to wear the shirt! How cool is that!Joking

Not even Doomsday hill slowed Mr. Posie down. He really ran so strong from beginning to end, which is amazing since his longest run has been 3 miles. He finished 161/325AG.

When Mr. Posie saw the finished line he hold my hand and we ran together to the end. Being the romantic girl I am, I had tears of joy in my eyes as we approached the end of our race. Just think...he just started running for the first time in his life 5 months ago.

Posie son number one finished the race at around 1:15’. Son #2 at 1: 20 and that is after waiting for around 10' for us to run to him so we could exchange the backpack for the butterfly wings.

Posie parents finished at 1:33 Wanna see us at the finish line?

http://www2.brightroom.com/browser.aspx?eid=76849&bib=13893&pwd=

Mr. Posie (you know, he really, really enjoys being called Mr. Posie) is already looking forward to next year when he can finish this race in 1:30. (He already knows he can reduce the portapotty waiting time)

As for Posie mama???????…she is just beaming big!!

After all...her  wildest dream is unfolding right under her butterfly antennas!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

This is a very wonderful RR Mariposai! ya done good. What a very unselfish crew. How are your knees today??

SteveP

dg.

Nancy I don't have time to read right now... only skim... must get in 12 miles before work... but I had to say right now that you're sending me off with the biggest smile!!!!!!       And some energy that was eluding me.    thanks Smile     and  Congratulations Big grin

What a fantastic day for the "posie" family.  This day will be a cherished memory for all of you.  Thanks for the pictures and report.

TomS

Very nice Posie!!!

Love the finish line photoSmile

Congrats on the 5k win, awesome!!!

Great news abot the Warrior shirtCool 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

coastwalker

Hi Mama Posie,

Congrats on your 5K victory - that's outstanding!! Too bad that running in front is so stressful, but you clearly handled it quite well.

And thanks for the retelling of the day the Posie family had at Bloomsday, It was a greta race for the family on so many levels, for so many reasons. I know you are proud of all the Posies, and you have every right to be.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

It's a shame you don't know how to enjoy life Nancy!  Lighten up, will ya?  Wink

A wonderful weekend for you all around!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Winning races, sponsorship, hard-core racing wearing a back-pack...I hope you won't forget us as you enter the world of elite runners.  Wink

Great report and selfless racing.  Congratulations.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, what a wonderful story for the whole Posai family!!     You have such a beautiful family and you have much to be proud of.   Thanks for sharing!!!

Oh, AND congratulations on winning the 5K!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Maniac 505

Thanks for the RR,  What a wonderful weekend of racing and running.   It can't get any better than that.   I just might have make the drive over the mountain next year for Bloomsday.

Dave

Top 'O the World!

This was an absolutely wonderful way to start my day! Smile  thank you! & Huge Congrats on your winnings - all of them Wink

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        Henrun

A perfect weekend for the Posie clan-with wonderful pix!!!

Slo

What a cool event...and a pretty cool way of doing it.

Loved the report. Loved the photos. And the Warrior shirt is awesome!

I'm not sure trading wings for a 15lb backpack is fair play though...but it sure bodes well with the warrior shirt. Wink

HermosaBoy

VERY Cool!!!  Approve

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

How awesome to run with your whole family! Beautiful RR - thanks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.