Masters Running

40+ on the run w/e 1/18 (Read 459 times)

Jewels - A good ab workout when you're at the gym. I call them "sitting crunches": Sit on the end of a bench with room to stretch out your legs. Place both hands behind head. If you need a little more support, place one hand behind head and one hand on the bench behind your butt. Lean back while extending one leg out in front of you. If only one hand behind head, extend opposite leg of hand. Bend extended leg back toward body while crunching forward with body, twisting the elbow toward that knee. Extend leg back out and lean back, crunch forward again. You do one side at time. Do a set of 10 and switch legs/arms. It's like single-legged bicycles, but you're sitting. No equipment required, and I guarantee you'll feel it. The ankle's feeling better, although the back of it is still bothering me. It's pretty tight in the mornings when I first get up, so I use a heating pad for a few minutes before going out and do my 5 min brisk walk. For about the first mile, it's fairly tender, but that tapers off to very tolerable. I feel it when I'm on my forefoot. And yes, it's the same ankle I injured oh so many years ago. Figures. Roll eyes It's irritating because I did do anything specific. Age - it creeps up on all of us, doggone it!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi! I'm back! Just flew in from Florida and I teach a night class in about 20 min so I'm a bit rushed! Shocked Got up at 12:30 am California time, a little loopy now, my students should get a kick out of me Undecided I promise to work on a RR, but the bottom line is that it was impossible to do more than a crawl in this race, it was unbelievably crowded!! I felt stronger as the race went on, but it was impossible to get through the crowds. HOWEVER, this was a good thing, because I really needed to be cautious on my first race of this distance...finishing up and feeling like I just had a hard long run has been a great confidence-builder! Yes Hit the parks all day Sunday and Monday - no problems with aches and pains...back at it tomorrow...signing up for the LA marathon next (yeah I know...but it's my hometown and goes right by my mom's house). More later! Arla P.S. E-A-G...oh, never mind...Wink

Ex runner

What?!? No finishing time info??? Evil grin . . . . oh alright. Get to class. I guess an excuse of getting up at 12:30 a.m. California time is a good one . . . . hrumph Evil grin Wink

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

P.S. E-A-G...oh, never mind...Wink
          Thanks for not saying that Arla! Cry Glad you're back and feeling strong. You're a marathon chick now! Good gym work Jim, Jewels, and some to you too Ev. Hills for Leslie on her new shoes. How are they treating you? Now you're committed Carol! Not to the funny farm, to your half! That should get your consistency back. Good to see you Salty! Feel free to post no matter how much you're running! Got back most of my missed Sun long run tonight. Warmest night of the week at 37* ,put down 13.3m. Going to be down to single digit temps and 45mph winds by Friday......bigtime brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Shocked Don't see many people charting their courses around here.I always had a thing for maps and charts myself and have mapped most of my runs. Well we got a smokin' fast laptop for Christmas (from DD and SIL God bless em') and now I can't get enough of messing around wirh Google Earth. You can set the terrain to be 3D and really feel just like you're flying over anywhere on Earth! Last night I flew from San Fran to Reno across Rt 80 and the Donner Pass! So cool!! Tonight I'm heading to Russia! See ya later comrades !!! Smile

Just got done with my at-home work, so thought I'd stop in here on last time before I call it a night. Joe - That Google earth is a blast, isn't it? I got my first taste of it with the Desert High run. They had a link on their web site, and you could fly over the entire course. The shoes are treating me quite fine, thank you. Jim had asked before what they were, and I never knew full name 'cause I didn't have them in front of me. However, I'm home now . . . . they are Mizuno Wave Alchemy 8's. It's my 3rd pair of road Mizunos, and I really like them. They have built in ankle stabilization. And as I'm looking at them now, on the inside it says they even have "Dynamotion Fit." Woo hoo!!! . . . what the heck is dynamotion fit??? Maybe they'll make me faster! Big grin Our old cat Fatso (19 yo in March/April) has been at the vet since yesterday morning getting an enima :/ and rehydrated. Poor guy. I cannot begin to tell you how hard that poor cat's poop was. I know, TMI. But it means we have to up the amount of fluids we give him to 250 cc's 3x a week if tolerated, try to get him to eat canned pumpkin (it helps the constipation), and entice him to drink more by spiking his water with chicken or beef broth. I think ALL the cats would think that last one is a FINE idea. I think he has a bit of dementia as he goes into rooms and just sits and howls. While I was working tonight, he tried to climb up on my shredder and then into my lap. The vet asked me if he had fallen 'cause his blood work showed an enzyme that only shows up with bad bruising. He hasn't fallen that I know of, but he has a hard time getting on and off anything with height 'cause of his arthritis, so who knows. I think he finally settled down on our bed. I don't hear any howling. I'm babbling, which means I'm really tired. Have a good night, everyone. Sleep tight.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

xor

Dynamotion Fitâ„¢ is the next generation of design technology to maximize fit and performance in athletic footwear. By extensive study of the foot in motion, Mizuno discovered that traditional footwear distorts in the collar and heel during the gait cycle resulting in heel slippage and a poor fit. Dynamotion Fitâ„¢ relieves the stress the foot naturally places on footwear-eliminating distortion for a perfect fit and unsurpassed comfort.
              So there you go. http://www.mizunousa.com/news.nsf/0/2699953C3D6CB21F852573F4007D2929

Well, dang! No wonder they feel so good on my tootsie! Thanks, SR. I feel like such a slug! Was suppose to do strength/core and 30+ min on the bike. . . . . instead, I overslept. Undecided BUT - I came into work early since I'm leaving early for the doctor appointment . . . . but then spent half an hour dealing with my computer, changing the monitor 'cause mine pooped out, trying NOT to rip all the electrical cords out that are a tangled mess under my desk, trying to get the copier to STOP printing things I sent to it via my computer WEEKS ago to print . . . (((sigh))) I could really use the stress reduction of exercise right now. Instead, I think I'll slurp down some more caffeine. Wink The Howler (which is Fatso's new name) woke us up 3 times between 2:30 and 6:00 howling in various rooms of the house. Poor guy - but I also wanted to strangle him. Good thing I love that old man.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Thought I would share this. Unfortunately, its got me written all over it......... Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. This is how it manifests: I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing. As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail box earlier. I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table, and take out the garbage first. But then I think, Since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first. I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk, where I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. The Coke is getting warm, and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold. As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye -- they need water. I put the Coke on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I'd better put them back on my desk. But first, I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water, and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight, when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den, where it belongs. But first, I'll water the flowers. I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels, and wipe up the spill. Then, I head down the hall, trying to remember what I was planning to do. At the end of the day: The car isn't washed, The bills aren't paid, There is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter, The flowers don't have enough water, There is still only 1 check in my check book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses.... And I don't remember what I did with the car keys. Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled, because I know I was busy all damn day. And I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, But first, I'll check my e-mail.... Do me a favor. Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember who the hell I've sent it to. Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!

Joe - I resemble those remarks! Either the doctor appt was a waste of time today, or the previous two tests were. I'm betting on the previous two tests. Now I have to go for a hydascan (sp?), which I think should have been done in the first place. It's a test where they give you something to try and make you have a gall bladder attack. If the GB is the problem, you will have an attack. Doc said so far it's never sent anyone to the ER. Keeping my fingers crossed. Have to get it OK'd by my insurance first, so it probably won't happen 'ti next week, then we'll have to wait for the results, then I'll have to wait for another dr appt. Waa waa waa. Wink It's just money . . . right???

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Dang Leslie, that's awful! Sounds like the test they do as a last resort to determine if you have epilepsy - make you look at a strobe! Shocked Joe - too funny. It's sorta sad that we think that's funny Undecided OK, so I posted a brief RR over at the racing section of the main forum. But I've got a question for you more experienced folks - if I felt really fresh at the end of my marathon (fresh as in, gee, how's about 5 or 6 more miles?), did I just run WAAAY too slow? How much faster should I try for? Or are there simply no answers to these things? Arla

Ex runner

xor

Yes, you probably ran slower than you could have. Then again, Disney can leave you "pumped up" and whether that could have been reapplied to help you run the same distance faster, that's a harder call. But likely, between the entertainment and the crowd, you went a little easy for your level of fitness. You should do another one in a month and see Smile.

Queen of 3rd Place

A month, eh? I was thinking a couple/few months. Need to look around for something in driving range... Arla

Ex runner

Yes, Arla, I agree with SR. Sounds like you could have gone faster. But running the first marathon is like a double edge sword. Too fast at the start and that could be a big mistake. Too slow and that may leave you feeling like you could have done more. I'd opt for the latter. That's what happened to me. I was so scared I would go out too fast and then crash. So I held back till about 18 or 20 then let it loose. I felt really good at the finish and knew if I could have paced myself a little better, the time would have been faster. But, see, this first marathon is but merely training for the next one, and the next one. I'm not sure how to get that pacing liked you'd want it, except for experience. Google Mcmillan pace calculators. McMillan will calculate your pace based on previous races at various distances. I only used McMillan as a guide to see "what may be possible" but in the end ran my own predetermined pace based on intuition, I guess. Any way nice work all the same. Enjoy this and relax! Joe....that was funny. It reminds of the time I was going out for a.......oh, look, a bird.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              It reminds of the time I was going out for a.......oh, look, a bird. Evryday and his oneliners again......THAT is funny! Joe, that is so true for so many people. Dang Leslie, another test? It's good that they haven't found anything but discouraging at the same time I'm sure, especially when you know somethings not quite right. Hopefully they will pinpoint it soon enough. Thanks for the tips on the exercises. I'm willing to try any of them. Super race Arla, especially knowing you still had some gas left in the tank at the end. You are going to have a fantastic year! Congrats.....you're a marathoner! So did it stink going by the Animal Kingdom section like everyone says? Gotta get moving this morning, later all..........Jewels
                              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              xor

A month, eh? I was thinking a couple/few months. Need to look around for something in driving range... Arla
                                That's a terrible place for a marathon unless you wear a helmet. (that's neither a joke about where you live nor a comment on motorcycles... it's a joke grenade... read it and 3...2...1... it'll make sense) ((I didn't say it would be funny, I said it would make sense))