Masters Running

40+ on the run w/e 1/18 (Read 459 times)

SR and Ev - The two funny men of the forum. Keep it up guys! Big grin Arla - Congratulations, again. So do we see a sub 4-hours for your next marathon??Big grin Ran fartleks this a.m, which means I had to drive to a flat running spot over by the zoo. Just a big ole square. Run straight, turn, run straight, turn, run straight, turn - over and over and over. Bleck! Dead But I did better than I thought. 5 miles w/5 x 3 min intervals (3 min running about 80%, 3 min rest) after a good 15-min warm up: 3-min intervals: Average/Best/Av. HR 1. 8:23/7:05/165 1. 11:31/9:24/151 (rest) 2. 9:02/6:05/167 2. 11:19/8:18/157 (rest) 3. 8:12/7:31/169 (messed up lap counter) 4. 8:24/5:20/167 4. 10:13/8:35/155 (rest) 5. 8:32/6:52/175 5. 12:23/8:40/160 (rest) The AT area of my right ankle just would not loosen up this a.m., which is why I did a 15 min warm up run. I was actually have to limp along until it finally loosened up. What's up with that?? Also, with the Garmin 301, there must to be a way of starting it for a regular run, switching it to intervals when ready, then switching back to a regular run, all the while having it keep track of total time and miles. I ended up having to turn the dang thang off and back on 3 times, then calculate all the times/mileage. Confused Howdy to everyone else and those lurking. Jewels, good luck with the new crunches. I really like them.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

That's what happened to me. I was so scared I would go out too fast and then crash. So I held back till about 18 or 20 then let it loose. I felt really good at the finish and knew if I could have paced myself a little better, the time would have been faster.
      I was exactly the opposite. In my first post-sickness race (and my first race in almost 10 years), I went out to run the race I thought I could run. I hit the half at what was then a half PR time. "wow, that's my half PR". This is a bad thing to realize. Anyway, my half split was 1:45. My overall time was 4:04:04 (a pretty fun number to look at), meaning I ran a yicky 1:45/2:19 split. And that second half was just as painful as that number looks. In your first one, youjustneverknow. I was semi-kidding about "one month", of course... see how fast you recover, and if you want, try again. I bet even if you keep your training steady, you'll do better because you know a lot more about what 26.2 looks like now.

O.K., so I had to read SR's helmet comment 3 times before I got it. Big grin Heck, ya may as well go whack some balls yourself while you're out there! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! MY GARMIN 305 IS HERE!!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

SR - ha! I got it right away, which means we think alike...um...I think that scares me! Leslie - I need to start training more like you! That sounds intense! For now I'm adding tempo runs per Jack Daniels suggestion for distance training. Ev - scared is a pretty good description. You hear all the horror stories, about the "death march", how the last 10 K is the "second half" etc etc. And sure enough, I saw a lot of folks who were suffering, during those last 4 or 5 miles it looked to me as though about 2/3s of the folks were having a pretty tough time - there sure was a lot of walking and down heads. As in motorcycling, I think fear can be a good thing! I needed to blow off some steam today, 7.6 mi tempo run at around 9:15 pace (felt SOOO GOOD to pick it up!) + 0.4 mi barefoot. Arla

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

O.K., so I had to read SR's helmet comment 3 times before I got it. Big grin Heck, ya may as well go whack some balls yourself while you're out there! Jewels
              Why do I feel a comment coming from SR...Wink Arla

Ex runner

xor

No, THAT one is too easy. Besides it was said by someone dubbed "Jewels". Is ok. It's all in the family.

As my husband says " the family jewels are a sacred thing"! An afternoon at the gym, arms/abs/4 miles on the lovely treadmill. Knee did well. Not quite 100% but much, much better. Arla, you're going to kick butt this year, I can feel it. Leslie, I thought you just got the 301? Which is the one that seems to track better through the trees? Super run for you this morning! Nice pace..... Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    Leslie, I thought you just got the 301? Which is the one that seems to track better through the trees? Super run for you this morning! Nice pace..... Jewels
                    The 305, which I've been waiting for. Ordered it early last week. So now I have 3 Garmins: 201, 301 (w/HR monitor), and 305. I think I need to have a garage sale. At least if I problems with one, I have sufficient back up! Thanks for the comment re the run. Smile MTA: Arla - I hate speed work with every fiber of my being, but I understand it's necessity. It's definitely because of the speed work that my pace has picked up.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Leslie I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Exress last night but just kind of wondering if your new shoes are making your ankle and AT tender. Those Alchemies are a couple notches up the stability chart (same as the Brooks Adrenalines that set my AT off) higher than the Ascends. Just something to think about and it may be completely coincidence. MT ponder the question; if I begin to train for a half or full marathon do I need to incorporate a helmet into my training so as to avoid the nothing new on race day conundrum????Confused

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

That's a terrible place for a marathon unless you wear a helmet.
                        Now that's funny!
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          No, THAT one is too easy. Besides it was said by someone dubbed "Jewels". Is ok. It's all in the family.
                          And that's even funnier! You're killin' me here. Big grin
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Leslie I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Exress last night but just kind of wondering if your new shoes are making your ankle and AT tender. Those Alchemies are a couple notches up the stability chart (same as the Brooks Adrenalines that set my AT off) higher than the Ascends. Just something to think about and it may be completely coincidence.
                            The whole ankle (front and back) was bothering me before I started wearing the new shoes, and I had chalked it up to too many miles on the old shoes. I've only run twice in the new ones, so I don't know if they could be adding to the problem. Something to think about. I was also running late this morning (no pun intended) and didn't get to put the heating pad on my AT area before I went out. I think I need to be more consistent with the heat/ice treatment and warming things up in the morning to see if that brings about improvement. But boy howdy was it tight this morning! To quote Carol: Whooshemamma!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

As my husband says " the family jewels are a sacred thing"! Jewels

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - it's me or the dog? Where'd that come from - did I miss something while I was gone? SR - I hear you're doing RNR San Diego in May. I may have to stalk you. Arla

Ex runner