Masters Running

2016 Portland, OR Marathon RA family meet up (Read 67 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

3435 Southwest 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97239

And I think this is the count so far for the house:

Mike - 3 nights

Holly - 3 nights

Leslie and Shorty - King/Queen bed dibs - 3 nights

Starr - 3 nights

Nancy/EP - Queen bed dibs - 3 nights

Tet - Saturday

Econo - Saturday

I have no food limitations that I can think of.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Sounds like a fun group! Would love to be there but will send my hugs virtually! We'll be having a somewhat smaller (maybe) gathering at LaTortuga's Sunday evening so will toast our Portland runner frens!

Question 1:  What time are we allowed to show up Friday / When will the house be available?

Question 2: Do you all want us to do any of the grocery shopping on the way up?  The Hub informed me last night that we're leaving really early Friday morning so I have know idea what route we're taking, but we can plan to do some shopping.  If so, we need to start a list.

Since The Hub and I are mere spectators at the race, we'll cook dinner Sunday after the race.  He loves to cook and it'll give him something to do.  You just need to let us know what you want.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie,

We are going to need to do a grocery run anyway, so you should be fine to wait until you get to Portland and check in at the house.  Maybe bring a little coffee though, so we can brew an afternoon cuppa?  I will be on EST, so will be needing some caffeine if I don't want to fall asleep at 6pm.....

Also, the owner says we can check in anytime after 11:30 am.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Is the key going to be somewhere or does the first person who arrives need to call him?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - I will message you his phone number, (and anyone else who wants it).  Anyone arriving first can call him.

Marathon Maniac #957

Looks like the airport is about a half-hour away from the house.  Anyone able to pick up? Or should I take a taxi?  Or does the bus run somehow that I won't get lost?  I don't really want to rent a car.

Mike E

MM #5615

Holly--don't we get in about the same time?  We can share the expense of a taxi if nobody is available...or get lost on a bus together...we'll figure it out.

Let me talk to Shorty about what time he thinks we're going to get to town.  I don't know if he has something up his sleeve or what.

I do know the public transportation system in Portland is really good.  You might check the train schedules out of there and where it goes compared to where the house is.  I'll ask my buddy, Karen, as well.

What time are the flying folks arriving?

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Looks like the airport is about a half-hour away from the house.  Anyone able to pick up? Or should I take a taxi?  Or does the bus run somehow that I won't get lost?  I don't really want to rent a car.

Uber!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Uber!

Yes!  I didn't think about that, but Portland will be full of Uber drivers.  Great idea!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Good idea.  I've never used them before.  I get in around 2:00 and I think Holly gets in around 1:00.

Marathon Maniac #957

How do we Uber?

I think there's an app for ubers and you can look it up by city, but since I don't know how to "app," someone else here will probably have a better idea of how it works.  But I know it's a heck of a lot less expensive than a taxi. My buddies, Kate and Karen, did that over the summer when we were at WS.  They found someone to take them from the Sacramento Airport all the way to Auburn for something ridiculously inexpensive like $40.  A taxi would've been almost $100.

How Does Uber Work?

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

This is so exciting. A week from today we will have hanging out and enjoying Shorty and Fatozzig's amazing food.

A summary:

Friday Arrival times:

Starruns: 5 pm (we can pick you up at the airport, let me know what you think)

Holly:       12:32 pm

MikeE:      2pm

Posie:       5pm (we will pick up Starruns at the airport, then drive to the house)

Fatossig:

Saturday Arrival times:

Enkie and Mr. BE: ?

Econo: ?

Meals in a nutshell:

We will have our car, so we can do preliminary food shopping on the way to the house after we pick up Starruns. Then Saturday we call make decisions of the food needed and a group can go shopping.

Friday night dinner suggestion: Salmon, rice pilaf, green salad. I can do the cooking on Friday since I have a good and fast system to put this meal together. Let me know what you guys think.

I am so looking forward to being pampered with Leslie and Shorty's magnificent cooking.

Am I missing anyone?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard