Masters Running

Thursday, March 18 Daily (Read 346 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

8 slow miles this morning.

Tonight PBJ Jr. gets to carve soap bars with a swiss army knife (for cub scouts).  Just like Jed Clampett.  Tomorrow is a fish fry, where we will have birthday cake for PBJster #2.  Then Saturday is the maple festival.  Yee haw.

evanflein

Slo, if she's having these reactions at night... could it be new laundry detergent or something in the sheets? But I guess it sounds more systemic than topical, so maybe dietary. Hmmm. Allergic responses can be hard to figure out, but it's amazing that she got worse while on prednisone. Will be very interesting to hear what the cause is, if you can even find out (sometimes it just goes away and you never know).

Poor Hailey! She looks like she'd just like to get it over with. Looking forward to puppy pictures! I love how they look like little cows when they're first born.   {{Mary's sucky job situation}}

I agree on that low HR for Byll... I think we need to hold a mirror to his nose to be sure he's still breathing! I can't imagine walking with that low of a heart rate. Good luck on your solo, Byll! And yes, I'm counting on this LR weekend being a good one. Hoping conditions on the trail I'll be on for about 4 miles are good enough for some steady pace, hills starting around mile 12 to the end, goal is 20....

Holly, our dog Cheyenne had a very small bladder (discovered when x-rayed after being bumped by a car). The vet was amazed at how small it was. I guess that's why she'd always get us up in the middle of the night. But I also think she heard things outside and wanted to check them out, and it got to be a habit. She slept in DS1's room and it was really affecting his sleep. If you're sure she can hold it all night (and now Dexter), I'd be sure to crate them and nip that in the bud now.

Planning on a lunchtime workout at the gym, just some light cardio and weights, then an easy 5-6 miles after work. I'm driving over to my SIL's house to run from her driveway to avoid the run up the hill to home. Last night's run would've been a lot of fun if it weren't for all the traffic (!) on the road. I was really surprised at how sproinky my legs felt, but know not to push my luck so tonight's pace will be easy as I can make it.

I was really surprised at how sproinky my legs felt, but know not to push my luck so tonight's pace will be easy as I can make it.

That's my girl.  Now make sure you keep your recovery run HR at 115 or so. 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Well I can tell you right now that THAT ain't gonna happen! But maybe I'll try the HRM tonight just to see what the ol' HR would be. (first though, gotta find the HRM...)

Mariposai

That's my girl. 

Bill

I am so jealous of Erika, BQBYll has never called "my girl" before....

Any update from Stumpy????????????

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I was going to blow off my 6 miler today since I'm kind of busy (that's a relative term) but decided 3 miles would do me good.  So 3.24 it was in my newish Brooks Trance 8s that always seem to make me run faster (it's the orange colour I'm sure!)

Gorgeous sunshine and about 52F.

I can't believe how fast that Erika runs...

Wishing Slohand's daughter to get better.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Bill - for me that would be walking to the mailbox.

Do you know what your resting and max heartrates are?  My RHR is about 50, and MHR about 205.  I target my recovery runs about 135-140.

This morning I set out to do 10 at GA pace (8:20-8:30 / 155 HR), but decided on the spur of the moment to save my legs because I have a half on Saturday.  I think I made the right decision -- ran 6 at 8:22

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

{{{Slo's daughter!!}}} Very scary.

Mary - Oooh, the preggy pup looks like so many women when their time is near - get this/these things outta me!!  Can't wait for puppy pics.  I've been trying to get a pic of the new baby goats across the road from us, but mom is keeping them away from the fence.

Good luck, Nono and Tramps!!!  If I missed someone else racing this weekend, I apologize.

1.25 hrs of core/strength this a.m.,and started using bands for resistance training per recommendation of MAT therapist.  I need a longer band, though.  The only place I can hook it like he showed me is around a horizontal bar on my Bowflex.  Very little maneuvering room.

I'm at work by myself today, so I'm gonna get out of here early to either run my 3 miles or ride my 30 minutes.

Got my hair cut today - shortest it's ever been.  Went from it being a long bob (I guess that's what you call it) to short, short, short.  I love it!!  I had to go to a different hairdresser 'cause mine had major emergency surgery last week.  I showed her a picture, she says, "Oh, that'll be cute!" and starts whacking away.  I kept talking trying to not be nervous, but I finally said, "I'm a little nauseous.  You're just cutting away like it's not big deal." (nervous laugh).  She just chuckled and said, "It'll be fine," and kept whacking away.  Five-minute blow dry tops.  Woo hoo!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I admire your courage, Leslie! I've talked about doing that for years, but every time I sit in the chair I end up saying "just the usual." My hairdresser just rolls her eyes and trims away.

16 minutes elliptical (1.7 miles) and 20 minutes of weights (chest/upper back/shoulders). Tomorrow I'll try to target arms and abs. I suppose at some point I'll cut back on the weights but for now I've been enjoying it. Started up again last fall after RVM after a long absence. Can't believe I used to do 90 minute workouts like that, 3-4 days a week. Oy.

((Slo's dd))  i really hope by now you've been to the dr or even the emergency room -- sounds like a very serious reaction and wouldnt want to see an airway problem.

Leslie -- pictures please!!  so cool -- i am going to do something drastic with my hair next week -- maybe change the color totally - time to do something different for my 50th!!

3.3 miles for me today with some intervals after the 1st mile warmup did .25 at a 5k pace followed by .25 recovery x 4 - would love to have stayed out longer, but needed to nap before heading in to work.

denise

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mari--everything seemed fine today.  Sat on an ice bag for about an hour at work and that seemed to help.  Most likely not gone, but should be able to live with it.  Anyway, today was another 3.3 at under 10 minutes.  I'm liking how this is working.  Distance needs to go up but making progress.

DW just got her hair done REALLY short a couple of weeks ago.  She's been getting it shorter and shorter the past 4 or so years after having it long enough to sit on at times since I've known her.  She was able to donate at least 8" to Locks of Love at 3 of the last  4 Relay for Life's.  I like it, but it's taken a few of her friends to say it looks good.  She doesn't believe me, for some reason.

PBJ--life in the country sounds entertaining. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

1st things 1st......DD#2 is still a swollen & blotchy young lady. She was seen by a 2nd Doctor this morning who agreed with my doctors course of treatment. Said the symptoms could be around for as much as 7 days.

Best guess is she had a reaction to Amoxicillin even though she had been on it for a week.

They had to cut her ring of her finger. She's wasn't happy about that. Dad will happily get her a new one.

Other than that, I got a taste of the retired life today. I drove to my home town and spent a nice spring day with my Dad. We got a nice bike ride in to the nieghboring town decided it was to windy to pedal home so called Mom to meet us for lunch.....with the truck.

Great news about your daughter, Slo.  Sorry 'bout the ring, but I like your attitude of daddy being willing to buy her a new one.  Small price to pay for her being safe. 

Erika and Denise - This is the shortest I've ever had it.  My regular hairdresser has been trying to get me to cut it short for years.  I spent this past year growing all the previous layers out.   About two weeks ago, though, I decided I was tired of messing with it, I was constantly shoving it out of my face, it had to go.  I have fine, thin hair, so I searched the 'net for short hair cuts for that type of hair and came up with two cute ones.  I'll have to find before and after pics.  May take me a few days.  Next week get it highlighted like crazy and will probably have her cut the top and front  a little more.  It's so freaking liberating!  Showered after my 3 miles this afternoon, then just towel dried it.  Yea!  When she was cutting it, I figured what the heck.  It's only hair.  If I don't like it, I'll grow it back out.  Go for it, Erika!  Find a style you like and force yourself to do it!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Slo, hope your DD gets better soon.  I became allergic to penicillin in the 7th grade (after having had it several times previously) with a bad case of the hives. Oh, and retirement sounds nice.

Leslie, yeah, pictures, please!  I've never been brave enough to do anything radically different with my hair.  I did color it for the first time ever a couple months ago, but just to cover the grey.

I went for another walk at lunch today, 3 miles, 64°.  Hard to believe we could be looking at a foot of snow by tomorrow.  

Our hot water stopped working yesterday, and DH is away, so DD and I heated water on the stove, put it in watering cans, and poured it over each other's heads for showers last night.  Now it appears that the heat isn't working either - we have radiant floor heat, which is hot water circulated through tubes in the floor.  I'm trying to trouble shoot it, with instructions from DH over the phone, but he built the house and the heating system is complicated.  We're hoping to get by with heat from the woodstove and showers with watering cans till he gets home on Monday.  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Oh man, Carolyn, that sucks... That's my biggest fear: the furnace going out at -40° and DH out of town. I do have the number of the heating guy on my phone though, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Made it out for 6.2 miles tonight, was planning "easy" pace but with the traffic, wind from the cars and the hills, it was really hard to keep pace. I forgot my headband so my ears got cold, and  forgot my HRM so have no idea what my HR was, but I tried to keep it easy. Ha. I suck at this. 10k @ 8:24 avg pace. Goal was 8:45... oops.