Masters Running

Saturday April 16 Rainy Runs (Read 496 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Leslie – I’m not sure if I would want to borrow someone else’s used bedpan.  No reason…

I took off work yesterday at 2pm to run some errands.  Since we’re not planning on taking an official vacation this year, I expect I’ll use my vacation time up in various afternoons off over the summer.  Anyway I got home early enough to run 7 more miles on the TM, making 15.4 miles for the day.

I suppose I ought to taper some, given that I have a 50k next weekend, so I’m taking a rest day today.  I’ll probably do some core and upper body work later.

Go Racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning all;

I just got out work and  I am going to sleep for a while.  Ran 2 miles last night, this was first run since biopsy, DW says I am pushing it to much but everything seems fine.  While probably know my results by Wed. keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  I am going to try to run 5 miles this afternoon if the weatherman will cooperate.  Good luck to all you Bostonians Monday, maybe some day I can qualify, probably not, but maybe.  I am just not built for that kind of speed.  Even when my body fat was 9% I still needed to lose another 20 or so pounds  to get close, so I don't think that will ever happen.

Leslie praying for you daily.

Run the good race always.

Tramps

Thanks for starting us off, Holly.

Good luck with your results, Derrick.

9 miles total.  I managed a small PR (21:05) in a 5K with steady rain on a hilly course.  You never know.   It’s more evidence for the “just run” approach.  The rain in my glasses and on the Garmin screen meant I had no idea what pace I was running.  Turned out to be 6:36 / 6:56 / 6:52, which is pretty good, given the early downhill and later uphills.

I hope it’s a good omen for all the racers this weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

Good Morning,   Holly and everyone

Best wishes for you Derrick... 

Tramps congrats on the PR,  I think you're right in the shorter races it's best to run hard and let the mileage bank carry you to the finishline.   

Very rainy morning here so DW & I went to the gym treadmills.  There was a power lifting seminar upstairs & the glass wall overlooks the 1st floor where the treadmills are so there were 30 very large young guys watching us.  I wondered what they were thinking? 

Good travels to all the Boston runners...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

3.01 Miles - 29:24 (9:47) - A very easy run with the first half against a very strong headwind, sure glad those winds aren't in the Boston forecast!

MTA - Actually it is forecast to be windy...but a TAILWIND!!! Big grin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice race Tramps!  I'm thinking a sub 20 is around the corner for you!

Holly.. taper? nah.. you'll be good Smile

MD.. Good luck with the results!

Sarge.. maybe you guys inspired the onlookers

Maine.... may the Force wind be with you!

7 miles at a consistent 8:23 pace in light rain and 64°. Storms here later.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Dave59

40's and rain meant that I headed to the gym this morning.  Mixed together a couple treadmill runs (total of 5.5 miles), some weight stuff, and some time on the stationary bicycle.  Good workout overall.

Derrick - I'll be pulling for you on the test results.  Maybe listen to your wife and not over do things too soon after the biopsy.  I've found there are rare cases where a wife can be right. Big grin

Tramps - Very nice 5k time.  Hilly course no less.

Thanks to the rain, I don't have any yard work to do today.  Hip Hip Hooray!

I truly hope that the Boston runners have good conditions and a wind at their backs.  Although, a tailwind sometimes leaves me over heated so I'm not too sure if it is all a good thing of not.  (I need air rushing over me to survive a long run.)

evanflein

Holly, just treat it as a cutback week and you'll be fine. Taper is overrated anyway, right? Big grin I was thinking I wouldn't have any big vacation thing to use up leave either, but now we've got some fun things planned for June that'll eat away at my leave accrual a bit.

Nice 5k PR Tramps! Yeah, flat course and you'll go sub 21 easily.

Hoping for good news on the biopsy, Derrick. I bet you can get back into activity just going by feel.

When is Wenatchee? Today or Sunday? I guess I can look it up... Here's hoping she packed the right wings, Go Mariposai!! And Mike and Dave.... yeah, you guys, too.

{{{Leslie}}} Not the best news you could've gotten, but hang in there. Get to work on those contrast soaks, girl. Sounds like some nerve damage there. What the heck did you do to it anyway? I completely missed "the event" that did this.

Nice crisp sunny day here... 23° so far at 8:30. Might crack 30° by 11 a.m. which is when our 5k race is. DH and I walked part of the course yesterday at lunch, and it's an icy mess still. I think they'll have to re-route the course a bit around that. We'll see. Definitely just a fun time and not a PR attempt today. The last thing I need is a fall! Will warm up and run more later for 9-10 today.

When Holly named this "Rainy Runs", she hit the nail on the head.   It is really coming down in the south central Virginia area.   "April showers bring May flowers" and those suckers are going to be HUGE.

At work on Friday I was asked if we could have a meeting on Monday.    I said, "Why not right now?   I have some things I want to do on Monday."   They bought my suggestion and we had the Friday meeting.   That now frees me up to "do what I want to do" on Monday...namely .follow the progress of all of our friends at Boston.

Since the rain has been non-stop since daylight, I have decided the treadmill is the route to go today.  If I dont' have to leave this house, I won't.

Basebal season starts, NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs,  Masters Tournament, Boston Marathon.........Can there be a better month of the year for following a variety of sports?

Have a great weekend everyone.

Joey

Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Here's hoping she packed the right wings,

I was thinking the same thing...Smile

Probably too late, but be careful on that ice today.

Tramps - another PR - excellent!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

I was thinking the same thing too Smile     go Nancy, go Mike, go Dave!    

I'm impatient to hear about Erika & her DH's (that is so great)  5K.

Tramps, wtg!

this isn't much catch up but it'll have to do for now.   I did run this morning, rain but less than forecast, but the winds lived up to expectations.   17.49 miles... slow!   I'll blame the winds, & not really feeling quite up to par lately.  I stopped a few times... pit stop & fueling, & once just waited until I could go again. not real long, but longer than I would usually stop.  So less endurance I guess, but I hope it still accomplished something getting in the miles.  

thanks for all the hugs the other day!  

Leslie, I'm so sorry... please do all that stuff you're supposed to do.... is a pita I know.   but nerve issues are nothing to fool around with. 

Derrick I hope you get good news.

Has Esther checked in post MRI?   maybe no results yet?

Holly gee it seems a little mini taper might not be a bad idea.   Roll eyes    (perch shush!  Wink )

okay, off I go!    oh one more thing... Stevep, I thought of the picture you posted the other day of Noah running a couple of times this morning to remind myself that it is fun!   :-)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yup dg, no results yet. Thanks for asking and thinking of me, btw. Had the test yesterday afternoon, sandwiched between two trips to the LPP (local piercing place). Can't have an MRI with any metal on your person, nuf said. TMI? Eh, just more fodder for Mike E and his notebook of abbreviations. Wink

The biggest decision for me lately, however, has been which doctor to ultimately use: the first doctor, a woman who I felt very comfortable with at the local hospital who thought the breast MRI wasn't absolutely necessary, and the second opinion doctor, a man, who is known as THE top surgeon in NYC in this field. He was pretty insistent that I have the test. Which tends to show a lot of false positives, especially when you have a low grade case of this type of breast cancer, as I do. So yeah, the fence-sitting put me in the sad chair for the last couple days.

But it's amazing what a good run or three will do for a person's disposition. Smile

So where am I now? Well, the MRI results should be available by Monday afternoon. Hey, just in time with the Boston results, cool! Now if that's an auspicious coincidence, I don't know what is...

Here's some good vibes for you, Derrick, as well. I've got lots to share these days. Smile

Almost 5 miles around noon today with my summer running partner, catching up on our various issues (those requiring tissues and otherwise). I have 18 miles on the schedule for tomorrow, so I didn't want to overdo it. We walked the rest of the way back to my house, a little under a mile and a half, talking all the while. The rain (the cold, windy and nasty sort) didn't start until after we got in my house, and then I drove her home.

Now on to Passover cleaning. Go runners go!!

Good luck with the results, Derrick.

You, too with the MRI, OM.

It is indeed the day for rain......the season's first big trail race.......... and mud.

Mud.  Sticky greasy slippery mud that made it hard to get up or down the easiest grades.  Lumpy chocolate pudding mud up to our ankles. Sneaker sucking mud. Fast flowing muddy river up to our knees where you couldn't see what you were stepping on. Runoff creeks with muddy bottoms flowing down the middle of the trail.  Mud that got under the gaiters, into the shoes, saturated the socks and squished thru your toes with every stride.

This is always the most challenging race that kicks off the Ontario Ultra season.  The course is difficult and technical at the best of times, but this year the ice only came out of the ground a week ago, courtesy of a week's worth of rain.  Temps dipped down to 5°C this morning,  steady rain started at about midnight and the wind picked up to a nasty 40 km/hr and it didn't let up.

Being in the middle of a build up for a 50K in 6 weeks, I'd decided early that I'd treat this as a training run and not attempt to repeat my AG win from last season.  Besides, there were two women my age registered that I knew could beat me handily on less technical ground.  Just as well.  I hung with a fellow about my age thru most of the ordeal, egging each other on thru the tough going.  We took it easy, dawdled at the aid stations and walked all of the hills in the last half.  My hand hand feet went numb from the cold.  The worst bit was that the shoes never got a chance to drain, and the feet stayed saturated throughout.

30K took 4 hours 33 minutes.  The dropout rate for the 52K and 50 miler was phenomenally high and they pulled one guy off the course with hypothermia.

I'm just glad it's done.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Heme--do you work for the race's PR department?  Wink  Sure makes me ready to give it a try.  Sounds pretty impressive to me.  hope nothing that's been bothering you got any worse.

I got to meet some more Masters today.  Robin found an amazing place for a private party.  When she said it was across the street from the Expo, she meant it.  almost straight line door to door.  So much fun to see some folks again and then to be able to add even more virtual friends to the "they really exist" list.  I don't want to leave anyone out, but I will say that Nono on line and in person is no different (and that's a good thing), her kids are amazingly cute, and I think she'll kick Rib's butt on Monday.  Just saying. Evil

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Heme - Wow!  Quite the race!  It sounds like the Hagg Lake Run in February outside of Portland, OR.  Another extremely muddy run.  I almost lost a shoe there last year.

Holly - They aren't used bed pans. Big grin

OM - Keeping you in my thoughts.

Erika - I don't know how I did this.  It just "happened."  I ran a 50k on Feb 19 and March 19.  Prior to the second one, I was having some tight calf issues, then after the run, the inside of my ankle felt like it had been strained a bit.  I didn't run the entire week after the race, then on our 26 mile training run the following weekend, on a downhill run, my shoe felt like it was tied too tight.  It hurt off and on the rest of the run - more when I would stop or walk, then ease up as I got running again.  Then the last 2 miles of the run were all downhill, and that frigging hurt.  I guess if I did any nerve damage, it was probably during that downhill stretch.  The next day, I got .5 into my 18-miler and there was just now way.  Was on crutches the next day.

Today was 40 min of thrilling pool running.  Woo hoo!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance