Masters Running

President's Day Monday Runs (Read 472 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - why do your cutback workouts look so grueling? Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I missed out on everyone's great runs this weekend. I will have to go back and read up. Sounds like Tramps and Evan had terrific runs and somehow Sue managed to run 18 miles on a treadmill. Shocked This weekend was our home gymnastics meet so I spent the entire weekend inside a chalk dust filled gym. Blech. Yesterday was a necessary day off due to being at the gym all day. I ordinarily would go to the gym today and run on the TM and take my pilates class, but it was beautifully sunny outside and I really needed some fresh air so I ran 8 miles outside - a GA run. I threw in a few strides over the last couple of miles to bring those down to 7:30ish. Total time 1:02:16. SLO, best of luck with your new driver. I cannot say as I am looking forward to that day. I remember our driver's ed classses as being pretty much useless, though we did drive around the school parking lot trying to avoid the cones. I always figured it took nerves of steel to be drivers ed teacher. My parents would not let me get my license until I had passed my father's driving test, which included learning to drive the old Toyota Corona with a manual shift. We went out to the Wolf Trap parking lot and worked on it and then went and practiced on various hills. I have a feeling my dh will putting my kids through his own personal driving test before they are released onto the roads! dg, sorry to hear about whatever is causing you to trip. Is it related to the hip issue? (((Jlynne))) - hope your hand heals up quickly.

Once a runner . . .

I see trees of green, red rosescardinals too I see them bloom (fly) for me and you And I think to myself What A Wonderful World 1 inch fresh snow that covered everything even the bare hardwood trees, I spotted dozens of happy cardinals (the Ohio state bird) I think they love this weather. It was just so beautiful out I couldn't get the song out of my head Smile Hope you have a beautiful day! Tramps I've been investigator on about 150 traffic fatalities over the last 18 years and I believe every mutiple death crash involved a driver under 22 yrs .old, so sad Sad

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I'm not really sure what to say about ribs and his friends in their red dresses. They do seem to have a good time, though, and that's important. jlynne, sorry to hear about your "wipeout". I hope your wrist feels better quickly. wildchild, congrats to your daughter on her first 4 mile run. Walt, happy birthday to your daughter. SLO, good luck to your new driver. There sure was a lot of good and long running over the weekend. Nice long runs for fussy, mairposai, breger (longest since May), Peter (on hills), PDR, Tramps, Walt, lynden, perch (on trails), WRFB, ribs and The Saint, Holly, srlopez (26.2 mile "training run"? with Bill Rogers and Joan Benoit Samuelson), SLO, evryday, Aamos, hallar, wildchild, evan, and Sue (18 on TM - wow). Good job on the speedwork for WRFB and perch (on hills). This morning, it was about 20° with just a light wind. The first mile didn't feel too bad so I decided to try and keep a nice pace (not just poke along but not push too hard) for awhile. I ended up doing my 8 miles in a bit under 1:15 for a 9:20 pace. The last two miles were under 9 minutes with the last one 8:41. Checking my log, I had to go back to August to find a faster 8 miles. I didn't feel any worse than normal and am calling it a good run. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

King of PhotoShop

4 miles very slow recovery run (trying to be like Perch!) followed by my stretch/core workout at the Y. JDmom, you gotta shave a couple minutes off that run for a PBJ. Now get back out there. Larry, nice run yesterday with some MP in it. I too grew up in NY and we had the high school football coach as our driver ed instructor. He was one tough teacher and there was no messing around. I thought the program was excellent. Today is Jim24315's birthday, and I just wanted to acknowledge what a super guy he is and good adviser to all runners. He's healing up from an injury and doing great but doesn't post often. Happy birthday Jim. Spareribs
            xor

All I remember from driver's ed was Signal 30. (shudder) Signal 30 was a film of horrific crash scenes. Not staged, and not covered up. 1950s-era dead people. Talk about being scared straight...

I'm taking two rest days in a row, just because. I remember the driver's ed class being really easy and chaos breaking out when the teacher left the room. The only thing I remembered was "don't let your gas tank go below halfway during winter". The practical portion was great. This other girl and I had this old guy with a thick accent, was he Italian? I dunno, but he liked us to drive around his neighbourhood, a more run down part of town. And we would stop in at a donut shop halfway thru the lesson, and sit there for awhile eating donuts. Sometimes we would stop at his house and he would run inside for a minute. I got my license long before the lessons ended, soon after I turned 16, but never told him. I am really impressed with some of the runs you guys are having lately. Just getting faster and stronger!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

We had Driver's Ed here when I was in high school, but it's gone the way of budget cuts and program reductions. It was a good class, but I think I learned more from my dad. I liked the driving simulator room (we called it the driving stimulation class) where we'd pretend to run down old ladies in cross walks. How bad was that? Geez. I don't think the instructor even noticed. Now we have a few private instruction classes, and we enrolled DS1 in that when he was 15. He did pretty well and got his license on his first try on his 16th birthday, which was a "provisional" license for the first 6 months (several restrictions on it). Now, he's a regular licensed driver and very cautious. No accidents, other than the first time he tried to back my car out of the garage and turned too soon... my car wore trim paint for a few weeks and needed a new headlight, but nothing major. We just had our bike path plowed last week, then got 2" of snow Friday night. Got that cleared, and very nicely too, on Saturday (mid-way thru my run), and I was looking forward to some nice runs on it this week. Bah. Inch of snow forecast for tonight, 2" more on Tuesday. I'm sure sick of this crap. Holly, good for you on taking the rest day. I don't think you do that often enough. You too Mary and Enke. TomS that was a very good run for you today! Smile Hi Meg! I'm always so impressed with how you crank out those 8 milers. And you're still in recovery mode? Not sure what I'm going to do today. I'd like to run at lunch, but I'd also like to leave early for parent-teacher conferences which go till 6:30 tonight. Then we have to drop my car off at the shop for oil change and "find that coolant leak" sleuthing. Not sure what will happen... the suspense is killing me. Roll eyes
                    Now it's not Halloween or April Fool, so this is not a trick or a prank, but just something scary that seems appropriate to post in light of today's chat: From the DMV here in South Dakota: You may obtain a driver license if you: Are at least 14 years of age, Are able to submit proof of name, age and address. (no photo copies) NOW you can appreciate my grumblings about Rapid City's approach to street clearing in winter, which is usually along the lines of "why plow when it's just going to melt in a day or two or three?" Shocked Gym day later--DH and I are guests of the Y at the running class. Each year the Y takes a group of folks and trains them up for the Deadwood Marathon and Half. grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                      Sarge - good song to have in your head - one of my favorites even if it does bring a tear to my eye. dg - sorry to hear your run didn't go well! TomS - I would call it a good run as well ;-). I got my learner's permit when I was 14 (in Arkansas at the time). My Dad taught me to drive a stickshift on the gravel roads around our house. The only thing I remember about the drivers ed class is being scared shitless by one of my classmates. I was very happy that the instructor had a brake pedal because when this student was scared (which was pretty much all of the time she was behind the wheel), she mashed her foot down on the accelerator. We came close to hitting several cars and narrowly missed going through the front window of a realty office. I can still remember the driving instructor ,who was also the football coach, screaming in terror ;-). Thankfully, she never got a permit or a driver's license.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Why was the football coach always the driver's ed teacher? Was he not qualified to teach anything else? Sue, your post had me LOL. I wonder if she ever wound up getting a license. I too remember those lurid movies they showed to scare us all into being better drivers. Ribs, hopefully a PBJ Special is on tap for tomorrow. I loved the pics of you and your running club in your red dresses. Those guys in the spaghetti strap numbers must really have been cold! Aamos, that is rather frightening. Is that because there is a lot of farming in SD and kids need to be able to drive young? I think here in Virginia there are restrictions on your license for a few years - maybe until you turn 18. Hi Evan! I've been feeling pretty good these last few runs so I am going to try to bump the mileage back to 60 this week. It was nice to get a break from the long run, though. I've been trying to up my mileage on mid-week runs and think I'm gradually getting used to it. Eight miles (or about an hour of running) now seems like not a big deal.

Once a runner . . .

My last was a 5 mile run on Saturday, my longest since last August. Week 6 of my 10k training plan complete. I haven't decided what to do after I complete this plan. Maintain or increase...we'll see. There's a race here in May that's 20K (for which I ran the 5K variety last year) that would be fun, but it definately feels outside my comfort zone right now. However, I do have time to get through the 1/2 marathon training by then, so I could do it. Decisions, decisions. Aamos...I used to live in Rapid City...snow removal? what snow removal? I always figured they were trying to save their money for the street sweepers in tourist season. I swear they came by EVERY night...sheesh.
                            jlynne - hope your hand/wrist is better today -- sounds painful!! i went out for my walk/run again today -- the 7 minutes of walking seems to take forever and the 3-4 minutes of running goes by so quicklySad but at least it feels good to be out there enjoying the fresh air and the sun - will be glad when it's warmer than 35 degrees!! 7 min walk 3 min run x2 7min walk 4 min run then walked to cooldown total 2.7 miles in 35:40 -- slow but steady Happy President's Day!! oh ya -- 14yr old drivers sound SCARY!!!!

denise

TammyinGP

No work for me today, so I went out for a 7.2 mile run. 3.25 miles with the dogs, then went out and did almost another 4 on a mix of BLM trails and roads. Nice run for me today.

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Where is Tim-Bo today?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com