Masters Running

President's Day Monday Runs (Read 472 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

My last was a 5 mile run on Saturday, my longest since last August. Week 6 of my 10k training plan complete.
    Great job, Handymom! It's kind of exciting to watch yourself progress, even if you've done it before.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

, Aamos...I used to live in Rapid City...snow removal? what snow removal? I always figured they were trying to save their money for the street sweepers in tourist season. I swear they came by EVERY night...sheesh.
      Thank you for confirming my reality! I know people think I'm exaggerating and I'm not. Good run, by the way; I'll look forward to following your progress on the half-marathon training as I'm coaching the DH in his. He just ran his 2nd one ever a few weeks ago. Yes, Meg, I think letting 14 year olds drive harkens back to kids on farms needing to drive. We have 60,000 souls living in an urban setting here, however, and it doesn't make sense. (Altho I'm sure Sue was a mature and responsible 14 year old driver, most of them are just plain NOT!)
      Masters 2000 miles
      Mariposai

10 miles, not one mile in hurry up mode... just a plain run...I had to run on a 2 mile loop with the pager snug on my waist. fondue party was a blast. We ate way too much good food...the company was terrific...we even played some music on the stereo and danced.......

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy Presidents' Day, everyone. We were up 'til almost 2:00 a.m. last night watching a piece on Jackson on the History Channel. Ugh! (To the late night, not the program.) {{{{JLynne}}}} My wrist hurt just reading your post. Sad All the talk of driver's ed is hilarious and brings to mind an incident where I and another student were in the back seat, and Danielle was driving ovals around the parking lot. Coming around by the tennis courts, attempting the turn at the end of the oval we'd been going in, she gets the brake and gas mixed up, hits the gas, flies over the sidewalk, and comes to a dead stop a few feet from the tennis courts. Cindy in the back seat with me is screaming and throwing herself across my body. Danielle is freaking out, and the teacher (who we all hated and called a House Husband - husband of our home ec teacher) just sat there. We finally all get out of the car, the right front tire is blown, and Mr. Castello says to us, "Well, I hope you ladies know how to change a tire," and proceeds to go sit on the sidewalk a few feet from the car. The three of us stood there and looked at each other like, "WTF??" So I end up having to take charge, we figure out where to put the jack, and proceed to try to change the tire. We take turns, two of us on the lug wrench at a time, trying to get the lug nuts off, while Mr. Castillo just sits on the sidewalk ignoring us. Finally, a young man and his dad, who were playing tennis, came over to help. It took both of them grunting and groaning and wrenching on the lugs nuts before they could get them off, let alone 15-16 yo girls. They helped us change the tire, showing us what to do, and then we continued on with our class. I don't believe Mr. Castillo ever acknowledged them. That is only one of 3 or 4 incidents with Mr. Castillo. I couldn't stand that guy. So tomorrow I go back to work. This is going to be interesting. We went out and ran errands yesterday for a couple of hours and I was exhausted. I'm jealous reading of everyone's running, but I think the stationary bike in a few days will be enough of a challenge. I told the DH that I couldn't imagine going through something like this and not being in such good shape. Ribs, my hats even more off to you after your extensive procedure and how fast you bounced back.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great driving ed stories! I took it in high school, and my driving time was with a football coach everyone called Mad Dog. My BFF was the other student in the car. I love her dearly, but she's always been a horrible driver. I remember her going up on curbs quite frequently. Slo_Hand, my 16-year-old will be joining yours within a few weeks - should I use the word "hopefully" or not?? Ack. The same 16-year-old competed in the Maine State Class B indoor track meet today. He was on the winning 4x800 relay team, came in 2nd in the mile, and 3rd in the two-mile. His team won the Indoor Track state title! He qualified for the New England meet in all three events. But he is bummed out he didn't win all three, lol (his times were slow for him). I enjoyed the day because I talked to several parents who have runners in college or about to start, and they gave me some good tips. Tomorrow morning is when DS and I leave to go on a 1400-mile trip through New York and Pennsylvania to look at schools. MY running was good today - outside!!!! Wow, it felt good. How can it be THAT much easier outdoors than inside?? Even the hills were fun. I did only 4 miles, but I should get to run some on the trip. Have a great week - I'll be gone through Saturday!
              Aamos, Its almost baseball season. In honor of that I am back to my summer avatar. I sure hope the Tigers get their groove back this year. I saw Big Poppy in an interview while running in the gym and I always think of one of their biggest fans, you! 4 miles recovery for me today 40:30 so nice and easy. After going through 2 teenage boys learning to drive I do not envy anyone who has to go through that. I think you realize when its your own how much more they need to know even after the training. My youngest is 22 and he has turned into a great driver ( at about 21 and a half) . Wink Great runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

mrs. day totalled the drivers ed car when she was in high school. Fortunately no one was hurt.....so we can all laugh about it now. In her defense, it was not her fault. But I bring it up when the opportunity arises. Big grin
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

"older but not dead yet"

Today was a disaster for me. Decided to take my racing bike out and get some cycling miles in. But I should have figured that having them sit for so long, the cables stretched and my STI shifters refused to work and just at the wrong time! On a hill just as it starts to steepen. Still got 7 miles in but in a fixed gear. Same with my MTB. Need to upgrade my Shimano Ultegra 8-speed setup to the newer 10 speed set-ups. I've been watching the Amgen Tour of California with Lance making a comeback and those old feelings of riding in the peloton and the feel of speed started coming back. I remember seeing the long blue train of the "Posties" boys pulling back the leaders at the US Pro Cycling Champs on the Manayunk Wall in Philly with Lance sitting and spinning that climbing gear with the high cadence he's known for. Interesting experience as I was leaving my apartment: " Very nice bike" from an older Italian gentleman, who very well could have been one of the infamous "tifosi" back in Italy who were bike racing fanatics. The Europeans know bikes and bike racing! Alex (hope everyone else has better luck than I today)
                  Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                  dg.

Holly, I'm just following your example! Smile. Meg..
                    dg, sorry to hear about whatever is causing you to trip. Is it related to the hip issue?
                    thanks. It might be, I hadn't really thought about that. I have a re-check next week, & I'll ask him. Thanks Sue. It's frustrating to get set back by something so stooopid but it could be a lot worse. I've (for the moment) adjusted my attitude about it. Very funny story. He really screamed?? TomS, good run! I thought driver's ed was useless too. I remember needing to parallel park later & caught myself looking for those stupid posts they used. Good luck to all of you going through this phase.

King of PhotoShop

What fun stories we had today about driver's ed. You people are so funny. But in honor of fatozzig, who is always entertaining, whoever starts tomorrow's daily, will you please entitle it "Tuesday Feb 17 Kill Mr. Costello Daily Runs, etc." Or maybe Costillo, only she knows. Does anyone remember Eddie Murphy's skit on SNL, "Kill My Landlord"? I am sooo way too old for this forum. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Does anyone remember Eddie Murphy's skit on SNL, "Kill My Landlord"?
                        Yeeeeaaahhhh....
                        I am sooo way too old for this forum. Spareribs
                        C'mon...let us whippersnappers do the old jokes, OK? Tongue p.s. I ran in my underwear.... Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, if Nono posting about running in her underwear doesn't bring Timbo running, I don't know what will! Nice speedy run, TomS! Denise, glad you're doing well with your recovery and return to running! Teresa, congrats to your son on his team winning the state title! Enjoy the college visits - we're doing that soon, too. My 15 year old DD started driving on our private dirt road when she was about 9 or 10. She never got out of second gear, because the road is bumpy and has switchbacks, but she learned to steer and start on a hill with a manual transmission. Now she has her learner's permit, and she's doing really well. She's only had a couple of minor mishaps: she drove into the mailbox with my car and scraped the front fender, and she clipped the corner of the garage when backing up in DH's pickup. Twocat, global warming is in Denver this week, come on out! It was 55 at lunchtime today. I was in a training class all day and only had time for 2.1 miles at lunchtime on an unfamiliar dirt trail that turned out to be very hilly. But it was wonderful to be out in shorts and tee shirt! Just yesterday I had to bail on my run at 8.5 miles and go to the indoor track because I was so cold.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Does anyone remember Eddie Murphy's skit on SNL, "Kill My Landlord"?
                            Classic. The prison system: birthplace of America's best writers. http://www.hulu.com/watch/4168/saturday-night-live-prose-and-cons C-I-L-L

Be safe. Be kind.

I always run in my underwear.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                I generally have some semblance of underwear on when running. Helps to keep chafing at a minimum. Wink It's "Castillo," pronouncing the "ll" as "y." Typo. Roll eyes He was also famous for slamming on the brakes at the last moment in the middle of a busy section of downtown SLO and saying, "The light was turning yellow." Evil grin I'm surprised we never got rear-ended. Of course, we had the big metal "Student Driver" sign bungy-corded to the stop of the car, brakes squealed, and everyone turned to stare at the idiot student driver. One day, it's me, Danielle, and Charles in the car. We're driving at a sedate 40 mph down the highway, just outside Morro Bay when suddenly the damm sign comes loose from the top of the car and goes flying down the highway behind us. Poor Charles. He was driving and had to pull over and go running down the road to retrieve it.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance