Masters Running

40'w On the Run - Wk of 0224/08 (Read 378 times)

I couldn't think of a catchy title. We had quite the storm come through here last night and most of the day today. Just like Forrest Gump, ". . . a little sideways rain!" Arla, how'd it treat you guys down at your end of the state? Hub's feeling better today, although his, eh hem, rear end is a bit sore. Gold Bond Medicated Powder is his friend! Guess he was up most of the night, until about 4:30. I peacefully slept through the whole thing in the other bedroom. Shy Later!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - glad to hear the hub survived. I think you guys got the brunt of the storm, although I had my share of horizontal rain today - as well as a nice rainbow toward the last part of my run. Smile Feeling a tad achy now, I packed my whole week of running into Wed through today this week. I don't recommend it! Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

A WINTER STORM WARNING remains in effect through noon on Tuesday for most of the northern, central and southwest mountains........Many locations will see 10 to 20 inches of new snow accumulate by late Monday evening.....Denver metro area, will not see the effects of the cold front until Monday afternoon..... been watchin' this critter come across CA.....just when the trail mud was settling down a bit! Roll eyes Wow Arla! How come?? Leslie - so, ya think DH learned all about "foreign tuna??" hmmm... oh yeah! brisk walk w/DH & both big dogs ~ 5 miles w/small patches of easy jogging...
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Morning Folks, Nasty looking storm out west for you guys.Spring like weather continues for us. Excellent timing for a cutback week for me.Worked a massive project last week to the tune of about an 80 hr workweek. Dead The saving grace is that DW and I are packing our bags and heading to St Thomas on Thurs. Staying for 4 days and 5 nights for our first vacation without kids in about 25 yrs!! Shocked DS#2(16)was not interested in going so we said what the heck,let's go.Had an airline ticket to use by the end of March so sunny paradise,here we come!! Smile Smile Going to try and use the Arla method and get most of this week's runs in before we go.Don't want to leave DW alone much while we're down there but will probably run at least once. Long run this week called for 8 miles.Did 10.6 this morning at 9:48 pace. Have a good one!

Joe - Good for you guys! Nice impromptu vacation! About 7 years ago, we spent 8 days on St. Lucia. Love the warm ocean. Cindy - I definitely don't envy you guys and all that cold, cold snow. I like to visit the snow every now and then, but wouldn't want to live in it. For once, it was a short storm. Now it looks like we should have mostly sunshine for the rest of the week. Very little sleep and very crappy attitude resulted in no workout this morning, although a run probably would've helped the attitude. Oh well. Kept good track of my fuel consumption this past Saturday, sent it to my coach, and he says it looks like I'm on the right track nutrition-wise. He also said he thinks I'm progressing really well with my running. Since this is the first time in my life I've ever done anything like this, that just gave me a big ole grin! Big grin Have a great week, everyone. Stay safe, dry, warm, and, Joe, try not to get sunburned!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - 'cause I was a bum while out of town Wink Joe - good for you! Maybe you can let DW sleep in and get a short run in...but then again, maybe YOU should sleep in too after that work week! Leslie - good news on your progress, and congratulations on your food discipline. How did you find a coach? Our local running club (I'm a member, but never go to their workouts) has a coach, but I think he just writes generic workouts for everyone. Arla

Ex runner

Thanks for getting us goin' again Leslie and great job out there on the trails. That crap is hard. I did just 3 miles on the trails at the sancuary Saturday and it killed me. Not to mention it was 85 degrees out. Every turn I took I had visions of that wild pig I spotted months back. Even the tree stumps resembled pigs. Ack! Glad you got an "ada girl" from your coach, you've been working your behind off. Nice to hear your hubby is "recovering" from his food bout. Arla, love your comment about being a bum while out of town. You really are putting in those miles. I took a peeksy at your log. Woot, woot! Some great runs you're getting in there. mtnchk, you always seem to get in your miles as well even when the weather isn't quite cooperating. Stay warm and keep up the great runs. Joe, sounds as though you need a vacation with all the hrs. you've been putting in with work. Have a great time. Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                  How did you find a coach? Our local running club (I'm a member, but never go to their workouts) has a coach, but I think he just writes generic workouts for everyone.
                  Through my friend, Karen. Bill is a certified trainer at one of the local health clubs where Karen works. She knew I wanted to find a coach, and although he'd never done one-on-one coaching before, she asked him if he'd be interested in working with me. Then the cost was so stupidly inexpensive, she asked if he would coach both of us. He's done it all - triathalons, marathons, endurance biking. He's extremely knowledgable and has to have continuing ed to keep his certification as a trainer. I really like working with someone who knows their stuff. It's been a huge benefit since I knew zilch about all this. I also like having someone local as opposed to hiring a trainer long distance. I had been doing research on the Internet re coaches, and most people were charging about $100 a month. Bill charged $50 for the initial meeting, and now $30 every three months. Shocked Karen has compared our schedules to the schedules her sister's coach is giving her (he's through a nationally known training program; charges $100 a month), and she said it's basically the same. For the first time in my life, I'm passionate about something. It's a real trip for me. So I decided quite awhile back that I didn't want to run just for recreation anymore, especially since I took up trail running. That I wanted, needed, to have a purpose for it. I have had marked improvement since working with Bill, and I've learned a lot. I have no designs that I'm going become this great trail runner, but I do have a goal of completing an ultra, which I will attempt in May. I figure if I can do that, I can do anything. That was probably more of an answer than you expected from your question, but there ya go! Smile

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I just realized how many typing errors I made in this week's title. Good grief! And I type for a living! Confused Confused

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie.....check out your last post from the 40's on the run thread after you had a couple of margaritas. It's O.K.......it was your birthday. We love you........Jewels

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - that's interesting about the coach...and not a bad bargain! It's awesome that you've caught the bug so bad. Tell ya a secret: I'm reading books by ultrarunners, it really appeals to me, I think in sort of the same way that long solo car or motorcycle trips appeal. Only moreso. The question is, is the body willing? And, oh the time commitment! Jewels - thanks for the pat on the back. Almost everyone in my life (needless to say, non-runners - heck, not even athletic) doesn't want to hear about it, so I keep it to myself - except for here! Got some new shoes today...why oh why do the ones I like best always come in pukey colors? The last two were gag-me green, this new pair is doesn't-go-with-anything eggplant. From another thread here, one for Leslie Wink http://www.tnrunning.com/articles/milner/everyone_poops.html Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Leslie- you go for it!! Way to go.I LOVE the trails but have this marathon thing stuck in my head Roll eyes As part of cutback week ,I finally get a 9 mile trail run tomorrow! I can't wait.It's going to be a good muddy mess and maybe rain! Weeha!(almost 50*) Thanks Arla! That was hilarious!!! Big grin

Jewels - Chatty little thing, wasn't I? I misspelled nauseous, but spelled "pukin' and poopin'" right! Wink Arla - OMG!!! Holy canoli! I was laughing so frigging hard! I'll definitely have to share that story with Karen and Bill. And I thought my poopy run was bad! Joe - Check and see if any there are any marathon trail runs in your area. That's our plan for October. It's called the Bizz Johnson in Susanville, CA. It's a Boston qualifier. It's fairly flat, but it's a trail instead of the road. Carol, Brian, Tamara, and Shell - Wherever you guys are, we're missin' ya! Have a good night, all!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi gals and guys, checking in from Palm Springs mostly for work but going to get in a run tommorow with only 1 layer and if anyone one has any PS runs give me a shout. thanks Arla for the link one of those will probably fit the bill. Had a great run week last week in cold ol Nebraska. Will check back in when we get back to reality. Good runs fab forties!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie.....it was the post after the pukin' and poopin' one! Ya, where the heck are our missing 40's? Funny, funny Arla! Have a great trail run Joe! r2farm.....hope you have a great run as well! Jewels