Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/13 (Read 501 times)

tippboy

tippboy

Hi all,

New poster here, though I've been lurking for a while

I took up running 5 years ago when I was 45 after having been sedentary since college. Since then I have competed in 50 x 5K races and  5 x 10Ks. (PRs 23:20 and 50:50). Looking forward to the King's Park 15K this Saturday, which will be my longest race yet, although right now the forecast is for heavy rain and high winds!! I ran the new course a few weeks ago and found it challenging but fun. btb's outstanding post on the 2008 race was what inspired me to try this race and it looks like the conditions will be similar.

My target after that is the Long Island Half Marathon in May with a few shorter races in between.

Ev - massage really helped the ITB twingies for me.Took me a couple tries with different therapists to get it right, though.

Doing a proper taper now, unlike for Rock n roll Phoenix, it's feeling very...wierd...makes me nervous.

Arla

Thanks for the ITB massage tip, Arla.  And about the tapr.....the weirdness will turn to magic on race day.  Trust me

Trust your training!

Stump...nice yoga time.  Good luck on the 10K.  And about the half......listen to your inner voice.  No matter if you do the half or not, you'll gain from the experience.

Hey Carol.....how are you feeling after cowtown? 

Mtn....good to hear from you.  Hope that cold gets better soon.  Good luck at Running of the Green....What was that comment about the beer tent?

Joe....congrats on the winnings!  Yeh, Pops is probably still laughing at how he it took it to all the young 'uns....  (Under his breath)......."Those smart mouth little punks.....I guess I showed them a thing or two....doin' their shots of Tequila, hell when i was their age I was downin' the whole bottle, worm and all and could still play cards with the best of 'em.  Why I oughta....."     

Just kidding, meaning no disrespect to your friends Father.

Hey Les.

Tippboy....welcome!  Good luck on the 15K and upcoming half. 

Woke up this morning (no... this isn't the beginning of a blues tune) sore/tight right above the knee.  May bag anothr run.  I intend to get through the rest of the training (4 more weeks before taper) and will, but not at the expense of missing the starting line.....if you know what I mean.  I heard someone once say, "You don't want to be the fittest person watching the race from the grandstand." 

Hey I got new shoes on the way.....so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hiya Folks

Welcome Tippboy! Sounds like you're an east coaster ,and a late bloomer like a lot of us here. Good luck on your upcoming races!

Good luck with the new treads Ev. Best to listen to your body like you said. You're right on with "Big Joe". He used to strike fear in us when we were kids .A Canadian and an iron worker his whole life until he retired. I just hope I'm half as sharp as he is when I'm 89yo.

Stumpy- good to see you running. You'll have to call it yourself about the 10k. Just keep in mind that there will be races going on all the time so you don't have to rush into anything.

Arla- good luck with your taper madness. Beware of the phantom "taper injuries" as well. You put in some really good training and I think it will pay off.

Good going with your yoga Carol. I think there's going to be a lot of moaning and groaning involved when I finally get into one of those classes.

The weather here has been very springlike too. 5 days now no tm. Finally have the snow cleared from the trails so last night was back into Cheesquake Park for my hilly route. Just me and the deer in the dark but a real nice romp through the woods.

Hey Les.

That's it?  I feel so, so . . . . unloved.  *sniff*

Welcome, Tippboy!  Good luck with your upcoming races.  Post often, fear none of us.  (Well, maybe Ev.  Not sayin' anymore . . . )

Joe - I'm terrible at poker.  The coupla times The Hub and I have played, he ended up with all the nickels (yeah, high roller here).  I do, however, like to play 21, but haven't in a number of years.  I mostly break even.  I think it's great that your friend's dad plays with you guys.

10 miles w/strides this a.m. in about 1:39.  When I went to bed last night, it was absolutely pouring, but woke up to clear and cold, about 31 degrees.  I felt good and sproinky 'til about Mile 3.75 when I stopped to use the bathroom.  After that, the legs felt fairly heavy the rest of the time.

Am trying to get another MAT appointment since my back is being bothersome again.  Anybody got a scalpel?  I think I'm just gonna cut that sucker outta there.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

...... back into Cheesecake Park for my hilly route. Just me with that "deer in the headlights look" after dark for a real nice romp through the woods.

fixed it fer ya!

Yup Ev, ROTG is the 1st of the "runnin for the beer tent" races ....just gotta make sure you get there before they're all outta beer!!  & you KNOW I'm gonna 2nd the massage recommendation....+ foam roller....new shoes may be a great idea, although.....

Howdy Tippboy & welcome!

Wish you were here, Leslie - I'd give it a whack for ya...well, you know what I mean! We used to have some hilarious nickel-ante poker nights back in the day....oh carp! did I really just say that!!?

3ish slow & steady on the dreadmill @ work....& time in the steam room w/eucalyptus!  I actually feel pretty good - until I try to run faster....den ah jus kand breeve Tongue

mta:  Springlike today = 38* & intermittently dumping snow!  wish I could be outside in it!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Tippboy welcome! A lot of us started (or re-started?) in our mid-40s. This group was originally "40s on the run" in the Newbie Cafe section of Cool Running. Guess we're not newbies anymore, more like addicts, heh. Leslie is the worst with her ultras and those crazy back to back long runs on weekends! Just sayin'. 

Leslie - I think it's a good sign that you felt sproinky until the bathroom break! Crummy how sometimes stopping can sort of wreck the warm up you just earned.

Cindy - a little run then steam + eucalypt sounds like a good way to take care of that cold!

Joe - thanks for the advice. I've been rethinking all the past few months of training, sure I've done this or that thing wrong. Too much racing, not enough miles, not enough stretching or cross-training, oh my! Gotta let that go.

Sucky to watch the pace bunny start to gain on me

Arla

Ex runner

Hey Joe....TM may be history for awhile!! 

Mtn....eucalyptus.....that sounds nice.  Watch out for the koalas.

Arla....now I see why the taper bothers you.....the 2000 mile pace bunny is catching you!?   I'm starting to gain on it a little bit, but doubt I will catch it before my taper starts.

Leslie........I might have just said, "Hey Les."  But I was thinking, "Hey Les." 

And tippboy said he's been lurking for awhile.  So I think he knows who to fear.....and it aint Ev!! 

Fatozzig is right though....post often tippboy.

My knee loosened up through the day and by late afternoon I thought I was good to go...so went for a 9er.  First 3 miles were in a snow/rain mix.  Then it cleared up for the remaindr. 

latr my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

My knee loosened up through the day and by late afternoon I thought I was good to go.

Yea!  Hey, Ev!!

Cindy - Poor cold!  It's going 'round at work.  The folks in the upstairs part of the office - it's like a damm peatrie dish (I have no idea how to spell "peetree").  Then my boss has had the flu since the weekend, but has been in the office the last two days.  Grrrrr!  And late this afternoon it was thought that her youngest daughter (3) has some kind of highly infectious infection on her face (I can't think of the name, but I've heard of it before).  Great!  Thankfully, I'm at my low key job the next two days.

Arla - It's only March.  Don't let the pace bunny frustration be part of your taper madness.  Go have some ice cream, instead.

Okay - Off to do a butt load of transcription.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Me, again??

3 easy miles with a coupla hills thrown in for good measure, followed by strength/core whilst watchin' "Monk."  I love "Monk."  Never did see the last few episodes.  I may need to rent the DVDs to find out who killed Trudy.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey joe

Hey jim

Hey stumpy

Hey tipp

Hey jewels

Hey mtn

Hey arla

Hey carol

Hey ultra

Hey Les....nice going on the 3spot.  And I, too, love Monk.  Me and LMD used to watch it religiously evry friday night.  I think the last episode, they did find out who killed Trudi ( I think).  The last episode is a good one, so yes, rent it and enjoy.  "It's a jungle out there."   A nice 9er for me this evening in my new shoes.  Thank you God for my new shoes (another pair of ASICS Kayano 15) and for the guy that sold them to me on sale. (actually roadrunnr sports)

Have a good day all!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi all.  'Specially Les. 

I'm about to figure that my planned half ain't going to happen.  This year anyway.  I got off to a really auspicious start by finding out that I was a week behind when I started the 12 week program.  then i lost two weeks of running with the metatarsalgia.  If i didn't have the workouts at the gym I wouldn't even have the faintest thought of still trying.  I don't want to end up walking the whole thing or hurt myself more than I already seem to.  I'm going to reset the schedule and start looking for a half about 2 months out.

Hi tippboy.  Lots of races in 5 years.  BTB is a blast from the past.  Miss his posts. 

3.2 miles this morning.  I need to get up earlier, or at least out the door earlier if I want to build the during the week miles.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Hi all, particularly Leslie. (you asked for it kid)

Smart going Kevin. There's races all the time so take care of your parts. I'm trying, unsuccesfully so far,to become a morning runner again too.

Nothing like a nice riding shoe Ev. I was a RR shopper too until I switched to Frees (they don't have them). I still buy some overpriced poly skivvies there , cause they don't carry them at Sprawlmart.

Cindy- that's funny, and Cheesquake is a Dutch name from way back when they owned Manhattan and surrounding areas. The doe's and babys (baby deer name?) stand within feet of me and watch me go by. I quietly tell them that I don't want no trouble, I'm just passing by. I just hope I don't get run down by a rucking buck. I often wonder what they're thinking, seeing this human run by so slowly.

Arla- I ordered a pair of Feelmax shoes. The Kuusa's .They did not carry half sizes so I hope they fit. Truthfully, they kind of look like loafers, so my plan is to wear them at work. How's the taper going?

The fact that I'm not passed out yet ,means I must be adjusting somewhat to the boxing class. It's kicking my ass.The good news is I was chatting with a young 20 something kid after class, and it had kicked his ass as well.

They say Sat will be windy with 4" of rain forecast. Buddy doesn't take no for an answer on the weekends so.......

*batting eyelashes real quickly* Aaawww shucks!  You guys are makin' me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Stumpy - Sounds like you're making the right decision.  There'll be lots of HMs to choose from.

Ev - Enjoy the new shoes!

Joe - I'm waiting impatiently for my Frees.  What kind of a build up did you do when you first started running in them?

We have baby goats across the street.  Twins!!  One's all white, and the other is white with a big black patch in its head.  They were jumping all over the place when I got home tonight.  Looked like they had spring-loaded legs.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Kids and Fawns!

I rotated them in pretty quickly Leslie. I had some time on barefeet and FF's first though. No sense in rushing it, I would be very gradual if you have been wearing thick shoes.

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi everyone from taperland!

Leslie - definitely take it easy with more minimal shoes at first. The most likely new ache you might have at first is in the calves. Maybe not since you do so much hill work. Oh, and the petri dish office - yuck. What can I say? Wash your hands a lot. Make sure no one gets near your stuff (phone, keyboard etc.). Make a habit of not touching your face. Working with lots of people I've learned that these little habits keep me well.

Ev - good to hear the knee is cooperating. Nicer weather?

Kevin - better to be smart. Walking a long race is no fun.

Joe - I'm curious about the Kuusa's - specifically how well they stay on. Let me know. Trust me, you're gonna LOVE running in them.

Back to taperland.

Ex runner