Masters Running

Woot, woot! Wednesdailies, July 10, 2019 (Read 41 times)

Joe618

Happy Hump Day, Masters Runners!   Here's getting it going for the day.

Henry, all the best on your knee...you'll manage it, I'm sure.

No time for a full recap but nice running all yesterday as we forge full-scale into summer.

I got in 4 slow miles after dinner last night.   87F at 8pm and so it was sluggish.  But I did have nice conversations with a neighbor and later some friends out walking.   So that made it good. 

Up early this morning in the "chill" of a mere 76F for another 4.3 sluggish miles.

Enjoy your Wednesday, all.   Hope you can have at least one conversation of substance with someone who is important to you.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

bioguy

I got in 4.2 yesterday while attending my conference. I didn't  sleep that well last night, so I skipped a run this morning.

Here is an interesting article regarding training for Leadville.

katie-arnold-ultramarathon-training-parenthood.html

Tailwinds!

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, Joe. Sorry you missed out on the neighborly conversation last night. Nice "chill" run this morning.

Don't fall asleep at the conference today, Bioguy!

Glad the knee is already showing signs of improvement, Henrun. Keep up the good work.

I was awake too much last night, thinking about various projects on my plate, but I still felt OK this morning. So I went out for a workout, resolved to try to fix what I didn't like in the video from Sunday's race. My approach was to get a lot more hip rotation into my stride, and also to add a little more bounce to it. The net result was A) I really had to stay focused; B) it took more effort, probably just because I was doing things differently than the way I usually do; and C) I had appreciably better stride length that I usually do on my workouts. I'll keep working on these issues, and will perhaps get someone to shoot a video of me at Saturday's training session so I can see if it looks any more fluid than what I've been doing. There's always something, isn't there? 5.9 RW miles in 66° temps with a bit o' mugginess.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

anneb

Morning all. Thanks for starting Joe. Something may be going around this group, as I also slept terribly last night- must have been awake from about 1:40-3? As a result, I hit snooze on my alarm instead as I didn’t much feel like running.

Today is is supposed to be awful H + H and it was already 80 on my walk to the train. High to be 95. If there is any workout for me later, it will surely be inside.

Hope that knee improves quickly, Henry.

Jay, I think it’d be interesting to see video. Good work with improvements. I don’t know that I’d be able to change much with my running form at this point, but I guess they don’t call it work for nothing!

Anne

dnaff

Just 2 miles for me this morning, it was already a real feel of 87.  The haze was incredible; some of it from the wildfires drifting in.  The rest is just plain old humidity.

I've inherited some of Henry's knee problems I think.  I've got a neoprene sleeve on and it seems to help.  I think my kneecap is just off track a bit and while that doesn't hurt, all the surrounding area does.  Probably another good reason to only have done 2 today.   Next up, a series of quad and hamstring stretches that are supposed to strengthen that whole area.

spacityrunner

100% humidity at 6 am and not a drop of rain anywhere. Ahhhh summer in the south. 2.5 neighborhood miles where I saw a momma deer and her baby and was able to give 3 dogs some treats. One of the dogs was a former shelter dog that I used to walk. Oh that just made my heart sing. What a great start to my day!

Trails Rock!

Struggled through 3.2 miles.  Thanks for the start, Joe.  Jay- Good work concentrating on your form.  That’s hard to do.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  So I've been walking around campus after lunch (yeah, it's hot here), and noticed yesterday that inevitable stench follows.  Time to add a little sponge bath into the mix!  Luckily my office door shuts ...

Knee pain, blech!  I keep re-discovering that the magic exercise for me to have pain-free knees is clamshells.  Why can't I remember this?    So yeah, those start off my yoga routine now.

Yoga (with clamshells!) and biking done, walk later, followed by de-stinking! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

One of the dogs was a former shelter dog that I used to walk. Oh that just made my heart sing. What a great start to my day!

Love!!!

Tet - I did a 24 hr race once at Hagg Lake - "Pick Your Poison" thru Go Beyond Racing. Unfortunately, it was the last year they did the race and the only year I was able to participate.  Got in 72 miles, my longest run ever.  My regret is that I know I could've gotten in another 5 miles before the 24 hrs was up, but I chose to stop when I got back to the start/finish.  I wish they'd bring it back, but I think it was a money suck for them.

Henry - Happy to hear the knee is feeling better.

We don't have the kind of H&H many of you do, but's warm and humid here today.  I set my alarm for 4:00, but managed to go back to sleep for another 2 hrs.  I'll get a walk in during my lunch hour.  If this humidity holds, I predict being soaked by the time I get back.

Counting down the hours before I'm on vacation!!!

And here's a daily comic for Tet, as opposed to my winged-wonder yesterday. 

Image result for wednesday funny quotes

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

good morning

I was so tired yesterday afternoon/evening that I skipped my run, went home and had a carne asada taco, and went to bed early-ish. 
                      But today I'll run after work. 

spinach - whereabouts in MN are you exactly? I'll be in MN in late Aug to visit my grandma in Princeton, but we are staying at a hotel in Milaca. Hoping there's some decent running paths near the hotel where I can run in the early mornings.

Tammy

...fatozzig//...I think you just defined ''confefe''......

ok, sorry

(that was too easy to pass up

and

not meant to be political)

=============

...heat index of 96, no wind.....

very drippy 70-min RC at soccerfields

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Joe - thanks for the start and Jay good luck with adjusting your walk.  I think clamshells are recommended for every ailment - ITB, hips, knee, etc.  it's probably taught in PT101

started the day with a 3 mile walk with friend. then hopped on bike (10 miles RT) to get to new dig just started in Chinatown.  I hadn't signed up to participate but as the city archeologist said - i'm grandfathered in.  so i worked there about 3 hours and biked home quite odoriferous.  fortunately the dig is mostly in the shade, but still HHH.

this marble was found around 10am, but after that nothing really - nails, some pottery, but nothing special.  there's been some tv pieces on it, so a fair number of spectators in an out of the way area.

Erika - there was a piece in NYT about your university losing funding - is that going to affect you?

BTY

Good Afternoon, Runners!

First morning back to work after almost two weeks of vacation.  I take the "stealth" approach to returning to the office - Monday off, Tuesday come in after lunch, then back to normal hours Wednesday.  When people can't find me at my desk on Monday or on Tuesday morning after I've been gone a week, they figure I took two weeks, and they find another way to get the task done without darkening my doorstep needlessly.  I'm working here in the office tomorrow (shhhhh!) and then driving out to Rochester for a day in the new office out there.   They are celebrating their move by having a BBQ lunch and I'm invited.  Woot, woot!

No exercise this morning before work - I thought I would get in to work out first but decided I should just go to work and be on time since I might not remember how to drive here and just keep going for a nice ride in the new car.  Smile

I found out yesterday that our Health Insurance coverage now includes reimbursement for various activities like gym memberships and the like.  Woot, woot!   You have to actually take advantage of the membership by using it 50 times in a 6-month period so I checked my membership account on line and discovered I went 50 times the first 3 months and 49 times the next three months!   Slacked off there at the end of June, apparently.   So not I will try to upgrade my membership so that I can include lap swimming there at the higher rate, since that will be just about covered.....swimming in the high school pool would be cheaper by a little (than the upgrade), but there's no way I can get in the pool 50 times in any 6 month period at the HS - I'd have to go every single time it's offered and it just isn't worth that to me.

Have a greta day, Runners!

Joe618

So cool, Marj!!   Any idea the approximate age of the marble??? 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

I take the "stealth" approach to returning to the office - Monday off, Tuesday come in after lunch, then back to normal hours Wednesday.  When people can't find me at my desk on Monday or on Tuesday morning after I've been gone a week, they figure I took two weeks, and they find another way to get the task done without darkening my doorstep needlessly. 

Nice!! 

I need to have an on-call sports bra at work.   Anyway, 55 min walk at lunch with about 15 min of up and down the two hills by the high school.  I'm not sure how far I went since I didn't have my Garmin, but since I was doing hills, I'm guessing 3.5 to 4 miles.  I'm getting to be less out of shape, but boy was I huffin' and puffin' at the top of each hill!  Now I'm just going to sit here in my sweaty clothes until my regular "undergarment" dries out some.  Bleck!  T-minus 3 hrs 17 min before I fly out the door . . . . unless I get scoot out earlier.  We'll see . . .

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance