Masters Running

Fridaily 11/19 (Read 34 times)

Dave59

Dave--There's usually a more complicated situation behind those "crazy" expenditures stories that circulate. 

I picked a story at random.  Do you claim to be able to justify all the crazy expenditures?  If so, I have a few I'd like to see.  (I had deleted all that junk before I saw your post so no one who comes late to the thread will know what is being discussed.)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Joe - What marathon did your buddy run?

Local Bucks County Marathon.  It basically the same course (give or take) that he and I used for Boston Virtual.  Except we did out and back while this course is 2 sets of out and back from Washington Crossing to New Hope along towpath.  He thought about doing Philly but decided this was more convenient.  He hurt is back while hunting week before so I was surprised by him wining his AG.  But then it was a small field, but an AG is an AG.  He also is planning on doing Antarctica marathon in February...the man is nuts.

Running rest day for me,  so I did about 2 hours of free weights and core exercises this morning.  Good upper body work-out.

Best of luck bioguy.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Holly- Females spray, too, but I think it's more prevalent in males trying to show who's boss.  I read an article about introducing kittens to adult/senior cats.  Let's just say that in the past we broke all the rules. 

. . . human trafficking,

I had recorded and watched last night "Murdered and Missing on Montana," a documentary that focuses on the disappearance and mysterious deaths of three young Indigenous girls around the Northern Cheyenne and Crow Reservations in Montana.  It was heartbreaking.  There's a huge problem on reservations across the US of Indigenous young girls and women disappearing and being murdered, combined with a lack of tribal police officers and lack of cooperation between law enforcement agencies.  Since 2016, almost 7000 girls and women have gone missing off reservations across the country.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Since 2016, almost 7000 girls and women have gone missing off reservations across the country.

That is a national scandal.

Heartbreaking

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - your post made me do some reading about the MMIW movement, and I am shocked that this is not more widely known.  One article said that in 2016 alone, there were more than 5,700 native American women and girls that disappeared.  That is terrible!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

delurking to comment on the MMIW topic. This is a HUGE travesty that really needs attention and action. My friend, Verna Volker, 100% navajo, has been trying to bring more attention to this topic for years now through her running and instagram outreach.  It has now become her FT "job" (she quit her teaching position because this became her all consuming mission). She is definitely worth following on Instagram for those interested.

Tammy

Dave59

I send support to a group called A21 so I get a lot of news on trafficking all over the world. It's a helpless feeling to hear how bad it is.

https://www.a21.org/

There are so many reasons this is a problem:

Law enforcement agencies not working together.

Abysmally low numbers of tribal police  for extremely large reservations.  I think it's the Northern Cheyenne Reservation that has a territory of over 1 million acres, yet they have 6 tribal police officers.

Tribal police on some reservations not able to arrest non-reservation members if they commit a crime on reservation land.

Many of the people on reservations live at or below the poverty level, and sex traffickers now how to come in and entice the young girls.

Rampant drug and alcohol addiction among Indigenous people.

Reservations with thousands of acres of land where it's easy to dispose of bodies.

The list goes on and on.

I listened to this podcast a few years ago and delves into this somewhat.  The story is mostly about a missing oil worker, but Lissa Yellowbird is a Native American woman who has taken it upon herself to try and help Native families find their missing loved ones.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MurrayM

There are no excuses.

Imagine how much attention and resources would be applied if it was soccer mom's who were disappearing.

BTY

2650 yards swimming, including a 5:50 350 yard freestyle interval plus 3*200 yards of freestyle on 4:00 (3:18 + 42 seconds rest, 3:15 + 45 seconds rest, and a final 3:12).   I was somewhat surprised that when I did the 6:00 backstroke interval last night I got 350 yards, and 350 yards of freestyle this afternoon was only 10 seconds faster.  One thing it tells me, I think, is that I've been dogging it when I do the 600 yard backstroke warmup every workout.  I swim the freestyle much faster than the backstroke on those.   I haven't been training hard on the backstroke since a year and a half ago when I swam the 100 yard backstroke in the Empire State Senior Games.  Since then, I've had no way to practice the backstroke start, but I'm thinking I should figure something out.   The nice thing about swimming - there's always something else to focus on and keep the workouts fresh.

Big news here - even though GN didn't make the basketball team, he's got a team now.  He went to indoor track practice today and has decided to join the team.  It's only the third year there has been an indoor track team and he said there are only about 10-15 kids on the team (boys and girls) which to my way of thinking is a good thing, not a bad thing.   When I coached the track team 30+ years ago I toyed with the idea of starting an indoor team at the school, but I decided I wanted a season "off" and thought the kids would too.   I'll have to adjust my work and workout schedule.  I've been working from 7:00 to 3:30 and then going swimming, but practice gets out anywhere from 4:00 to 5:00, so I need to be on call as I'm his only way home.   I'll start swimming in the early AM (you've heard that from me before, I know) and work just a little bit later shift.  It's doable.  But those super early mornings walking out of the pool to the car can be pretty nippy!  Not looking forward to that part!

Have a good night, all!

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

I'm sorry that I've been sporadically MIA, and am afraid that I will continue to be just that because my life is crazed. I'm still serving as DW's Uber driver and cook as she continues to recover from her broken arm (making good progress, but still has a way to go). There is also a lot going on with my non-profit and the town's conservation commission, and I'm having a tough time keeping up. Last night was the Seacoast half Marathon's post-race wrap up dinner and my final event with the committee as I and another original member of the committee retired this year. The rest of the committee created this video, featuring past beneficiaries, for us, which was very sweet: https://youtu.be/D63H2GFh310  I'm going to miss those folks.

I got out this morning at J o'clock for an EZ RW workout. It had very recently finished raining, and about 15 minutes into my workout, the rain clouds cleared out and I could see the completion of the lunar eclipse as I completed my workout. Pretty spectacular. My hamstring continues to give me grief, so I'm continuing to walk each day, but am trying to take it easy.

Have a greta weekend. I'll do my best to ketchup when I can.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - what a wonderful tribute to the two of you for all your good work. Congrats!

Henrun

Jay-I can second that a wonderful tribute. As the first director of the Seacoast Mental Health Center (1965-1969) I know how essential community support is and the half marathon went overboard in its financial support toallthe agencies. Congratulations!

Hi everyone

24 EZ minutes again on the hotel roof. It was windy & cold!  Then a tense day on email fielding complaints from faculty that I’m moving too fast on decisions and our dept meetings are too short. That’s the adjunct faculty. The tenure faculty are begging for quick movement on issues and shorter meetings. They are exhausted and burned out. Then there’s the “in-person meetings VS Zoom” issue, and people feeling alienated in the Zoom format, whereas faculty with little kids are begging to keep meeting in Zoom because it’s safer, etc. And the faculty who want the dean to come and listen to their anxious kvetching, or tell them her vision for the dept. I want to say to them — folks, the dean is busy and does not have time to hold your hand! Ugh. Sorry — just venting…

BTY= that’s great that he’s joining the indoor track team.  I think being on a team will be so good for him.    Jay- wonderful tribute.  I’m glad they did that.  Your life sounds crazy busy right now.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth