Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 01/16 (Read 577 times)

jfa

He that would live in peace and at ease, must not speak all he knows nor judge all he sees.- Ben Franklin

Here's hoping for warmer temps all around this week.

Delightful 7m trail run with my favorite running partner today.30* ,crystal clear,no wind,just a dusting of snow.

Good Week Peeps!

It's already warmer here.  Up in the 40s for the first time in a several weeks.  Just back from long run.  LMD says she thinks I did too much today.  "You don't look so good," she said.  I told her, that's funny, I think I look like a million bucks.  Don't exactly feel like a million bucks, but I think I look fabulous.   

She's making an eye exam appointment for me tomorrow.

Nice quote, Joe.  Not that I'm judging your choice of quotes or anything.  I'm just saying.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Nice 16 you laid down there Ev. I almost forgot,,,,how 'bout dem Cowboys! Sorry Arla, but that team looks hot!

flatland mountaineer

"Like a Heat wave!" now ya got me doing it Ev, The Lyrics from that Ronstadt song sure described my run today a full 56 degrees warmer than friday's. I headed for town and got a 10 miler in, part of the way with Dessa Lou and Lynda. Weather looks pretty mild rest of the week.

Nice LR Ev, on the after run look kinda sounds like how I felt when Lynda's eye doctor told me I might be in trouble if she had the Lasix and could see what I really looked like..........

Sounds like a whole lotta shakin going on in Leslie's neighborhood with a 6.5 quake, hope everything is ok there.

Jewels now thats more like it in regards to your warming temps!!! FLA and 28 deg shouldn't have to be used in the same sentence!!

Joe I bet Buddy had a ball!

Arla very nice race. Enjoyed the piggy cartoon.

Hiya to Carol and Cindy s'pose you 2 are busy as usual

Dad is doing pretty good today and sharp mentally again. Complaining of a pain right in the hip but not radiating so much hopefully not a back injury and something fixable non-surgical. MRI tommorow.

We start shipping corn tommorow. I don't have the time or inclination to haul it myself. I think its going to the Colorado front range Livestock.

have a good week folks

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Nice LR Ev, on the after run look kinda sounds like how I felt when Lynda's eye doctor told me I might be in trouble if she had the Lasix and could see what I really looked like..........

Yeah, LMD must really love me.  I aint got no money and in the looks department...well, let's just say I don't get many any cat calls when I'm out running. (except for the occasional, "Run Forrest Run.")   I definately married "up".

Yep, Joe, the Cowboys are looking good right now.  Each game gets a little tougher.  Boy, what a game yesterday...GB and Phoenix.  Lots of offense, not much defense...but it made for exciting game as GB really came from behind to make it exciting.

Hey evryone....Have a great week.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hi all!  How did it get to be Monday again?

Joe, yep...that quote is a keeper.  Maybe that's why we like dogs so much.  They don't talk or judge us (at least as far as we know). 

Jim, glad your dad seems to be doing better, and hoping for good results from that MRI.

Ev, yep, I'm even starting to enjoy football Smile

Jewels, hope you're getting some warmer temps so you can train for that adventure race with your daughters.

Leslie, everything OK up there in N Cal?  How were your weekend runs?

Arla, you still on winter break from work?

Got out for a 3 miler with Katy yesterday.  Katy VERY happy about that!  Ponds on our route were frozen over, and the ice seemed pretty solid and thick when I tested it a bit.  We didn't try to skate though.  Afternoon temps should be a bit warmer this week.  Busy work week, so just aiming to get out and do something exercise-wise each day and maintain sanity.  How's that for a plan (not)??

Progress Trumps Pefection

Arla - Nice race, girlfriend!

Jim - Hope your dad's feeling better. Flexerol - I hate that stuff.

Oh my!  What a weekend was!  Saturday - a really great 22-mile trail where I ran strong the entire time and finished in just a minute or so over 6 hrs.  Not too many issues of nausea, although it was there.  Sunday - a looong 14 miles where the whole nausea thing took hold around Mile 10, but ate a bit more and slowed down, walking what seemed like quite a bit of the last 2 miles.  Ended up finishing in 2:41.  But all that's not the big news.  The big news . . .

We had quite the earthquake here Saturday afternoon around 4:30. 6.5, about 20 miles south and then 20 miles off the coast.  Scared the holy freaking crappola outta me.  I was home by myself.  First there was a LOUD BOOM! (like the sound barrier being broken, only multiply it by, oh 10 or so), and then if felt like something enormous just shook the house for all it was worth.  Things were flying off the shelves - it was crazy.  Talk about a freaking adrenalin rush.  I was "fine" (although I was shaking like crazy) until about 5 minutes before Shorty showed up.  I sort of lost it for a few brief moments.  Nobody got hurt, so that's the main thing.  We were out of power until about  around 3:30.  Shorty woke up to the lights on and the washing machine going.   Needless to say, "recovery eating" was a tad hard Saturday night, so I'm blaming my struggles yesterday on the earthquake. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Holy Smokes Leslie- glad that things were not worse than that for you. Must have been scary. Pretty dangerous living on the left side of the country!

Joe, thanks for getting us going and your trail runs always sound so nice!

Dang Leslie that must have been quite the scare. Have you experienced that before? Glad everyone is O.K......nice runs by the way, great job! I wonder if there will ever be a day when I can run 22 miles! I hope so, I would love to do a marathon some day!

I'm not big time into football, but I did watch some this weekend. The playoffs are exciting......I love the Colts!

Hey Carol, you are a busy, busy lady! Great that you got out for a run! The weather has just been so crazy for everyone.

Ev......I ditto what Joe said, NICE 16 miler you had there. Your weekly mileage is looking awfully good. Way to go.....

Jim, glad to hear your dad is recovering nicely. When I saw those pics of you all wrapped up in those clothes going out in that cold I thought to myself, dang.......that looks soooooo cold. Great job in temps like that!

3 miles yesterday afternoon......so far so good as far as the IT band goes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is my year to get my mojo on........

Spring semester started back up todaySad  Down to my last 5 classes though.....I'm taking 3 classes this semester plus my internship and then 2 in the Spring. Woot, woot!

Later my friends.......Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I was thinking about you - that was a pretty good shake! I always like earthquakes, but haven't been in a really big one for a long long time. Sounds like you did pretty well with your weekend run overall, good job managing that nausea enough to finish your run!

Jewels, good going getting back at it. Massage helped some minor ITB issues I was having about a year ago.

Ev - nice 16 miler! Seems that distance is about where the long runs become LONG runs.

Joe - 30 = delightful? Brr!

Jim - good news on your dad. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Carol - your plan sounds good!

EZ week of running, first week of classes. Should be a good semester for me, I've taught both of these classes before, and we're done as a department with our internal review, should be easier to schedule the runs!

Arla

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Leslie--hope nothing too valuable got damaged.  Just happy no one was hurt at your house (anyone anywhere else?  not much in the news around here)  BTW did your pictures on the daily go away?

I think the vast majority of of us of the male persuasion have married up

I went to my very first yoga class tonight for the very first day of my half training.  Which I discovered is a week earlier than I planned, so I leap in a week behind already.    This yoga stuff is fricking hard.  And pointed out how little stregnth I have and how little strecthing I've done while resting recovering.  Tomorrow is 3 miles of somesort of movement.  I'm hoping it will somewhat resemble running.  wish me luck.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey folks!

Carol...glad you got out for a run.  Hope it's warming up down there.  LMD, a cowboy fan and a huge Farve fan, is starting to "prepare" me for the game this coming Sunday.  She knows how I get when cowboys are not playing well (losing).  She says she'll be pulling for Dallas, and will feel badly for Farve if Dallas wins.  But will rejoice if Vikings win and will feel badly for the cowboys (and me and thus her).  She's telling me, "You know, honey, the Cowboys haven't played against Favre this year.  And the Vikings are really good and don't be surprised if the Cowboys don't win.....etc...etc.."  I think she's wanting to spare herself the wrath that I will may unleash should the Cowboys lose.  Not that I'd take it out on her......but you know she'll have to deal with it anyway.  So I tried to reassure her that win or lose I'll be ok.   Ah, football.....ya gotta love it!

Fatozzig....wow!  Glad you're OK and no big damage for you.  That would have scared me to death.  Sending out some comforting vibes to you and family.  How did the cat's react?

Jim...glad your dad is recovering nicely. 

Jewels, glad to hear you got a run in and the ITB is quiet.  Good luck on the classes!

Arla says, "I always like earthquakes...."      That's some badassery right there, I tell you what!   I do not think I'd enjoy them!   I'm guessing you like earthquakes the way some people like tornados.  The thrill and excitement of Mother Nature's unleashing.  Let's just keep them at a safe distance from us!

Stump, keep us posted on the yoga.  I, for one, would like to give that a try.  

Okay, Arla is officially nuts.  I HATE earthquakes. The last big one was about 15 years ago and caused a lot of damage in the small town of Ferndale, about 20 miles south of us.  The whole town is on the California Historic Registry and is comprised of a lot of Victorians.  Where this quake was a shaker, that one was a roller and sent many homes off their foundations.  Millions of dollars in damage.  We were out for a drive up in the hills when that one first hit, but got to experience at least 2 big aftershocks in the middle of the night.  Very scary.

This one - I've heard a couple of chimneys falling, and know of at least one building down in Old Town that will have to be demolished.  Had the requisite window breakage around town, and there are few buildings that are closed until they can be inspected, including the downtown post office.

Ev - The cats scattered.  We didn't get them all back until ate that night.  Well, except our old guy.  He's too old to scatter, but he sure wanted to be held.  One of the cats slammed head first into our sliding glass door.  I was surprised he didn't knock himself out.

Stumpy - I have a yoga DVD, but I haven't done it in years.  My friend has a yoga DVD specific for running.  I need to borrow it from her and give it a go.  I liked it when I was doing it on my own.  Don't know why the pics on the daily wouldn't still be there.

Jewels - School will be done soon!  Soon!

Did my usual 30 min cycling, but upped the TRX to about 40 minutes, adding a couple of exercises to my list.  One of them has me on my elbows, feet in the straps, flat like planks.  Only you "saw" back and forth slightly, forcing your core to work harder on stabilizing.  Whew!  Good workout all the way around.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - no disrespect meant, I know there have been lives lost, not to mention the damage done! There's just that part of me that - I can't help it - loves the raw wildness of the earthquake experience - there's that oh-so-fleeting first sound you "hear" - the sound that's not a sound, it's such a low frequency, you feel it more than hear it, but it comes and goes so fast, it's just on the edge of your consciousness, and then the next thing you know you're hanging on to something so you don't fall down, and you slowly and stupidly realize (because you've been reduced to a dumb beast for a moment) that the solidity of the earth is an illusion, OMG it can all go to hell just like that. The earth can roll, or bump, or sway, it can feel like the rolling sea - you never know just how it's going to move. It lasts for mere moments, but feels like endless time...it's the raw, awful power of the living earth, and it doesn't fail to impress...and yes, it kills. Obviously I've been lucky to avoid harm to myself or loved ones. Meanwhile, you folks up there on the coast are still counting the toll, and I don't know what's happening in Haiti right now, ...it's not good.

Other than that, your workout with your feet in straps sounds like a visit to the Ob/Gyn.

Stumpy - someone once told me yoga was hard, and I scoffed. Took my first class and came out with trembling legs! Yoga is really hard!! Should be a good compliment to running.

Ev - I see that you're kickin' some Pace Bunny tail over in the swamp.

Ah - so classes just started. With the economy like it is, today I had over 70 people on the waitlist for my full anatomy class. They all need the class to pursue their job goals, but they mostly won't get in.  My other class is the same, although not quite as bad. We can't add more classes due to the budget. Ugh.

Other than that...nice short run in some mixed sun and showers with awesome clear views of the Sierra Nevada heavily blanketed with snow.

Ex runner

Ev - I see that you're kickin' some Pace Bunny tail over in the swamp.

You talkin' to me?  Really, I had no idea.  I don't even know where the swamp is.  I've heard of it.....and I heard it's best to stay out ouf it.   I'm in the 1000 mile and 1500 mile groups, but nevr post there. I go check out my status from time to time.   Is this where you mean?

BTW is the knee bone really connected to the thigh bone?

A nice 6er yesterday evening.   Warming right up...I wore long pants, but saw a lady in shorts.  It was nice.  The temperature, that is.  Well the lady was nice too.....in a friendly kind of way.....oh, nevr mind.

MTA...OK Arla........I think I found the swamp.  OMG       I didn't realize I was a member of that group cause I barely make 1000, so I don't evr go there.  OMG again!