Masters Running

Sultry Saturday 04/27/24 (Read 33 times)

Jlynne

Good morning masters. No recaps, just a start. It was already 51 degrees at 5:30 with sustained winds 25-30 mph and gusts over 40! The skies looked threatening so I opted for the Y. 45 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the stairway to hell and 25 minutes of weights and core stuff.

We were supposed to play golf today, which would have been okay on the holes where the wind was behind us. Not so much trying to hit into a 30 mile wind! Looks like I'll need another plan for the afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks, Jeanne.

I did an unplanned solo half marathon today!  That Strava April half marathon challenge was staring me in the face, but I was totally planning to skip it.  Our group run was lightly attended, to say the least, since it's the big marathon/half weekend here.  A few women were close to my pace, but not going the 10 miles I planned.  Then I thought maybe I would go for 11.  Then I thought I could run 11 and do a run/walk for 2 extra miles to get the 13.1.  I wound up running the whole thing- only took one Huma Gel, which wasn't quite enough, but I made it!  About 2:29 for the 13.1 (I go 13.2 to make sure I have it covered), which isn't bad for a training run.  I'm trying to accept that I've slowed down a little bit in the past year and I need to not press as much on my training runs.  I started slow today, which was good, but was pressing some in the middle and later miles.  It was a little humid, and 69 to start, which is not good for all the marathoners.  Did mainly have a cloud cover and some breeze.  I'm happy about doing this.  I'm also very tired and ready to eat my Dunkin Apple Fritter. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Wild weather in NW IL too!  Yesterday was mostly in the 40’s with wind rain. Temps rose overnight, the wind continues, but we are headed for 80 degrees.  I can’t even stand up against some of the gusts.  So today started with coffee(of course) and then 40 minutes of hip strengthening and stretching.

I will walk down to the food pantry later and get the bookkeeping caught up. 2 miles round trip.  Should be good for my fatigued hip muscles.

Best news:  Tet, the hyacinths you sent me 2 years ago are getting ready to bloom!!!

ETA, nice half mary KSA!!!   You snuck in while I was typing.

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Thanks for the start, Jeanne. Good work at the Y this morning. And good luck with your alternate afternoon plans (kite flying??).

Nice work on your unplanned half this morning, KSA, especially in warm and humid weather. Yes, the ARS can be tough to accept at times, but there are still so many other joys in getting out there and giving it your best. I go into race day (like tomorrow) with low expectations, and sometimes surprise myself with a good race relative to what I expected.

Good call to start your day with coffee, dnaff. And good hip work and stretching. Good news about the hyacinths from Tet.

We had a racewalking training session this morning, and were on an outside track for the first time this year - it was in the upper 40s and sunny, which was great. I went 3.8 miles with the crew, which is about what I wanted since today is just a 'stay loose' day for me. On the way back, I stopped to shop for a bike carrier for our ebikes so we can go spend more time on rail trails. I don't know if ebikes are allowed on the rail trails, but we aren't speed demons, so I don't think we'll ruffle anyone's feathers.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dnaff - neat about the hyacinths.

Compared to the nothing but the purple grapes over on the island, our first Spring back on the downtown side has a few whites and light violets mixed in about 5-10% with the scattered purples nothing like the endless island masses.

Jay - especially for their role in getting some of the sloughers (that would be me) back in the saddle, ebikes that I used to resent when they'd pass me going up the hills are welcome on all paths and bike trails around here in the PNW.  Besides the nowadays once aren't noisy and disruptive of the outdoor peace and quietude at all.

KSA - neat unplanned half distance, and time too, . . . without even any chance to get all nervous and anxious about it.  Maybe check your AG results in the Rock'n'Roll. I bet you'd've won it by a long shot.

Tramps - neat reliving the Fairyland Loop with Wildchild, same as I'm still relishing all the Mt. Fuji's Dave post resurrected from my memory bank.  Speaking of which, NHK World is now airing a trek around the Mt. Fuji Long Trail that was included in parts of the UTMF 100.  Swoon. It's been five years since the last time seeing it in person and, with time inexorably running out, I guess I can't get enough of it and am thinking of switching my idea for some more miles on the 88 Shrine Henro Pilgrimage on Shikoku Island when I get back over there the next time to a Mt. Fuji circumnavigation around the base.  In this regard, planning for things you haven't done yet, even if you never get to do them, is almost as enlivening as reliving some of the things you have done.

Though the media meteorologists are advising everyone to cower inside from the long predicted rainy day, even combined with some gusty winds. the rain wasn't even enough to warrant a protective poncho and the winds only reaching into the teens were not enough to deter a morning loop-and-a-half over at the hillside park.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jlynne, that's a lot of wind!

I got lucky with a break in the otherwise steady rain and did a 3.3 mile walk.

Feeling perkier than yesterday but still fatigued on the hills.

I hope to do several big day hikes next weekend when less rain is forecast, or maybe even a solo (1 or 2 nights) backpack, but I don't want to wear myself out as I build stamina back up.

MBE is doing tons of multi-day trail work trips this summer, so I'm going solo more than I'd like. I may join him on one of his trips, but then I would be encouraged to help out with the trail work, wearing sturdy boots, a hardhat and gloves, and I'm just not sure I really want to do all that backbreaking work!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice HM, Karen. Good luck golfing in a hurricane, Jlynne. Enjoy your hyacinths, Dawn; my DW tells me that her annuals are doing quite well so far. Jay, e-bikes are allowed on most rail trails, but often just the Class 1 bikes that are limited to 20mph (and you shouldn't really be going at that speed either!); I ride mine at about the speed as on a standard bike: 12-14mph depending on other traffic. Nice about your hiking progress, enke; these days it doesn't take that much to wear me out!

We're also experiencing that wild weather with temps yesterday in the 30s and now close to 80 and windy as heck! With the warm weather arriving, I started in on various seasonal chores and had another reminder that I'm not getting any younger as I feel more worn out by several hours of work than I used to. I wish my Garmin watch were more accurate on minor elevation changes since I'd like to see how far I've climbed with the accumulation of at least a couple dozen trips up and down the stairs!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, random question here, do any of you play pickleball?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey, random question here, do any of you play pickleball?

Holly - you mean the noisy paddle game that echoes

like gunshots over a half mile throughout

the lakeside park I used to go to?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly-  I played once in Nevada with my friends.  It’s really fun and easy to pick up.  You can enjoy it pretty quickly and it’s fun even if you aren’t that good.  It is hard to get courts since it is so popular now (especially with the older folks) and like Tet said, the noise is an issue in many communities.  With as much running as I do, I don’t have the time to take it up, and you can get injured, but I can see myself doing it someday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Howdie RA family.

Holly, no pickaball playing here, but it sure is the fad around here.

Nice HM Karen.

Enkie, I would love to join you in one if your solo hikes, if you can meet me half way in the North Cascades.

8 Miles today enjoying the orchards in bloom, chatting along with a friend on the phone for a little while.

Then it was planting more garden flowers.

Tonight we went to the next town and enjoy a food truck festival. Such a lovely day!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Of course, KSA set out for 10 miles and wound up with a half marathon.

Best news:  Tet, the hyacinths you sent me 2 years ago are getting ready to bloom!!!

Love the Bioguy/Gc pictures.

Dave59 - Nice picture.  Sorry a funeral was involved.

Jay - Nice racing.

MikeE - Sorry to hear that you are church shopping.  I've written a letter to our priest.  I get it.  Occasionally, I feel like discussing after service, "That's not what it says in the book."  He has time for glad handers, not discussions.

Enkephalin - Sorry about your toe.

Saturday, DW and I took four grandkids to the movies.  We got the kids unloaded in time to pick up MIL and get her to a neighboring church.  Then we hit their annual Polish dinner afterwards.

Sunday, I planted 10 trees while trying to dodge rain drops. We got Black Gum.

We got them from our local conservation district.  What we did not know is that these are being introduced ahead of climate change.  To wonder I don't recall what they looked like.  We are expected to scan a QR code for each tree and make notes.

SteveP